Blue Dogs    49

Hello everyone.

Who rememberd when Ch. 13 used to do the Saturday Night Movie back in the old days ? Here's clips of several promos from Saturday, January 10, 1987: ABC 13 Elements-1987

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7zlq0_ktrk-houston-abc13-elements-1987_shortfilms

Here's an Eyewitness News Update brief with Dave Ward on January 3, 1987 (subbed in for Van Hackett & Melanie Lawson)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbqipj_ktrk-houston-13-ewn-update-1987-bra_news

Edited by Blue Dogs

mollusk    1,678

MST3000!!!

• Like 1

Specwriter    201

Remember Wierd and Late Wierd? Forgot if it was on Ch 13 or Ch 11 or what years it was broadcast.

My goodness! You must be as old as I am.  :) I don't remember which channel it was on either but there were only 3 or 4 at the time.

Blue Dogs    49

I also remembered that Ch. 13 used to have the "Late, Late Show" , showing old and new movies back in the mid 80s.

In 1981, they had the "All Night Movies": there was a video on YouTube about it from that year, but it's not on there now for some reason.

Blue Dogs    49

Mollusk, Ch. 13 used to air "Dirty Harry" in their Late Late Show back in 1982.

Edited by Blue Dogs

mollusk    1,678

Oh, yes.  That movie taught me to be cautious whenever I started feeling lucky.

• Like 2

Blue Dogs    49

Particularly, the gory Strange Invaders movie: where you frequently see people taking off their masks in the movie.

Purpledevil    283

I remember one movie in particular from 13's late Saturday night showing. I don't know the name of it, and haven't seen the movie since then, but it had two brothers involved, the bad brother was killed, so they sewed his head on the good brother's shoulder, which gave the bad brother partial control over the host body, and resulted in a two-headed guy running around killing people. I wish I could remember the name of it, the movie had 70s horror written all over it, lol.

mollusk    1,678

IIRC, they also showed The Thief Who Came To Dinner - with all its panoramic shots of downtown sky where buildings would be ten years later - with distressing regularity.

Blue Dogs    49

Anyone remembered The Alamo movie starring John Wayne ?

Edited by Blue Dogs

Fringe    327

I not only remember the movie I once visited the original movie location in Brackettville. I don't think it's around any more. 

Anyone remembered The Alamo movie starring John Wayne ?

• Like 1

mollusk    1,678

The Thief Who Came To Dinner was pretty cheesy (Ryan O'Neill probably wants to forget he was in it), Captain Harold is one of the few things I remember from that general period of time ( :ph34r: ), and we once actually had a family vacation to Alamo Village waaaaaay back when, before the Tourist Attraction that was supposed to be generated by the movie set promptly went broke.  Since we were a bunch of boy kids, we had a ton of fun re enacting what we imagined the war to have been, in between being bounced around the mesquites in a Jeep that was old even then.

Veering sorta back onto topic, who remembers that other Channel 13 movie fest, Dialing For Dollars?  

In the days before call waiting, any time they used the first few digits of our phone number a small riot would break out if Mom was at the kitchen sink, yakking away with the next door neighbor at her kitchen sink across the driveways.

Edited by mollusk

Blue Dogs    49

Mollusk, here's one of Ch. 13's Saturday Night Movie videos from December 1, 1984:

Edited by Blue Dogs

mollusk    1,678

^  Egad.  Was that really 30 years ago?

very brief clip:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJtEVXKl1yU

Cadet Don was always clean shaven when I watched him before going to school.  The closing shot of him peeling out onto Bissonnet in his Corvette undoubtedly inspired an entire generation of Houston drivers.

mollusk    1,678

(*sigh...*) I know 30 years is a long time. 

I guess I'll just draw some solace from the fact that Dave Ward still looks exactly the same.  

• Like 2

Blue Dogs    49

I've also noticed that Ch. 13's Saturday Night Movie had the XL Energy music in their opens too.

Purpledevil    283

Mollusk, 30 years ago is pretty long ago.

What are you calling us, old?? Lol, I remember your video like it was yesterday. You'll see, BlueDogs. The older you get, the faster the years fly by. Memories from 30 years ago are more vivid to me than what I was doing 30 days ago. Thanks for posting these old videos, BD. Some of the stuff you've presented, I've never come across on YouTube. :)

Now, get off the lawn, you lil' whipper snapper!

Edit: Corrected misspelling.

Edited by Purpledevil

Blue Dogs    49

Get off the lawn ?

My father is 64 and my mother is 61. My older brothers and sisters are either in early 30s or mid to late 30s: I'm one of 14 kids.

little frau    51

I not only remember the movie I once visited the original movie location in Brackettville. I don't think it's around any more. 

We visited there with a group of about 100 vintage automobiles in '07 or '08 and it was still there, complete with outbuildings and "restaurant" where we had hamburgers and trimmings.  The Alamo was looking kinda sad though.....

I don't know if the original owners are around now.

Edited by little frau

little frau    51

Get off the lawn ?

My father is 64 and my mother is 61. My older brothers and sisters are either in early 30s or mid to late 30s: I'm one of 14 kids.

This does put things in perspective for me, at least agewise. 

Edited by little frau

Purpledevil    283

You mean old folks don't yell at kids for being on their grass anymore? I was sooooo looking forward to my turn in about 20 years. Guess you don't know what a whipper snapper is either... :o

14 kids? That's not as common today as it once was. My grandfather was one of 18. My great aunt was one of 21. Of course, there wasn't much else to do back then, I mean what with no tv and only a couple of oil lamps for nighttime lighting, so large amounts of children just tended to happen in some cases, lol.

Channel 13 never aired it that I know of, but I remember seeing 11's late show broadcasting "Creep Show" several times. So did channel 20 and 26.

Purpledevil    283

I didn't see any part of the movie in your video. First thing I saw was a title screen that said "Apocalypse Now", then much younger versions of Ted Koppel, Ronald Reagan, and Dave Ward.

Did I miss something or is this a trick question?

Should I go with Apocalypse Now?

I don't remember a Saturday or Sunday morning movie on 13. 13 was cartoons on Saturday morning, while Sunday was mostly church services. At least in the 70s and even into the 80s.

Saturday mornings were reserved for cartoons from 6am-12noon on all 3 (at that time) big networks, as I recall. I know the Looney Tunes block was on 13, it was my favorite growing up.

Blue Dogs    49

One of the Agatha Christie movies aired during their weekend movies as well, forgot which one of the Christie novels.

Heightsite    26

A friend of mine hosted late Saturday night scary movies back when KRIV was KDOD-TV. Can't find any promos or opens for that show. Anyone know where to look?

Blue Dogs    49

Heightsite, I couldn't find any movie opens for KDOD-TV (when 26 used that name before becoming KRIV-TV).

You can try to google "KRIV 26 Movie Opens" on YouTube.

Both ChannelTwoNews and Dontryl Alexander have some opens of KRIV 26.

Blue Dogs    49

Purple Devil, Ch. 13 also used to air "Fitzwilly", "Earth II", "Midway," and "The Getaway", between 1982 and 1984.

ChannelTwoNews    2,028

I don't remember a Saturday or Sunday morning movie on 13. 13 was cartoons on Saturday morning, while Sunday was mostly church services. At least in the 70s and even into the 80s.

Saturday mornings were reserved for cartoons from 6am-12noon on all 3 (at that time) big networks, as I recall. I know the Looney Tunes block was on 13, it was my favorite growing up.

That's generally how it was when I was growing up (mid 80s into the 90s) as well, however 13 -did- offer a 9 AM movie periodically on Sunday mornings for a while in the 80s and probably into the early 90s. Like most of thier showcases from the time, it was a fairly eclectic mix of films for a major market, "big 3" affiliate effectively owned by the network at that point.

During roughly the same time they also offered at movie that aired usually between 11 AM and 1 PM or thereabouts called the "Sunday Early Movie" - basically filler in the days before ubiquitous infomercials. Like the above, the quality of the films would vary: one week during that slot you could end up with "Giant" one week and the next, "The Castaways on Gilligan's Island".

Blue Dogs    49

I'm thinking Fox 26 used to air Midday movies during the weekends sometime around the 80s and early 90s.

ChannelTwoNews    2,028

I'm thinking Fox 26 used to air Midday movies during the weekends sometime around the 80s and early 90s.

They did, mostly Sundays, as did 20 & 39.

Purpledevil    283

Well, depending on what part of the 80s you're talking about, not only did they not have a morning newscast, they didn't have Fox. Fox 26 News's humble beginnings were a 7pm newscast, and I think it was in 88 or 89 before that began. 7pm was A Current Affair before the news cast, the 6-6:30 slots were a double episode of Three's Company.

Why do I remember that stuff??

Fox 26 morning news started in the last 10 years or so, it's not one of the longtime news programs around here, Blue Dogs.

ChannelTwoNews    2,028

Didn't Fox 26 used to have morning newscasts back in the 80s ?

Pretty much what Purpledevil said.

Their 7 PM news started in the early to mid 80s when they were owned by Metromedia. They did have news updates throughout the evening prior to that. When Newscorp purchased the Metromedia stations, FOX was more of a programming service that became a network shortly after and by 1989 the 7 PM news moved to 9 PM where it is today. The weekend news was at 10 PM for a number of years though.

The morning news was launched in maybe '93 or '94 and was only an hour at 7 AM, but slowly started to extend it's starting time backward, then forward to 9 AM. Still hard to believe that we've made it to a show that runs between 4 AM & 10 AM these days.

This thread is kinda going off track. To try and bring it back around, I will add that I always liked the graphics & music for the Friday-Sunday movies back in the day. The music itself was a production library piece, but you may recognize it. It's in the Killer Tracks/Network Music Library . Type in Energy II in the search field and click on the first result.