Nate99

Alley Theatre

how has that theater lived for 46 years without a fly loft? Seriously?  Wow!    (no sarcasm intended)

it has to be like working in a high school theater.. .you want a backdrop change, you put it on a track system and move it left and right instead of flying it in and out.

(i have only been to the Alley once- my minion Blackout borrowed some gear from me to do a show there, and I went in to check on him... they have a nice black box theater, haven't seen the main room yet)

• Like 1

Didn't realize this would need one. Are there renders out?

I had not seen any, so I was surprised as well. MarkLTD's link has these:

I guess whoever drew up the top one did not care for the Lancaster Hotel.

10-alley-theater-houston-archpaper.jpg

11-alley-theater-houston-archpaper.jpg

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 5

I guess whoever drew up the top one did not care for the Lancaster Hotel.

HAH!!!!  :lol:

Nate99, you are a wizard at digging up images.  I've gotta say, this does a pretty good job of keeping and complementing the fabric of the original facade.

Yeah... it needs a good wash. Has that recessed lighting feature always been there, on the Alley Theater? I never noticed it. I really like it.

They have started installing the structure of the new fly loft. Steel beams are now sticking way up above the old roofline.  If it stops raining, I'll take a pic next time I am out there.

• Like 1

Couldn't find the Alley Theatre Reno topic but we lost one tower crane at this site, downtown is back down to 18 tower cranes now.

1ay7sMR.jpg

• Like 4

Except for powerwashing the outside.  Surely they are going to do that, right? Anyone?  They can borrow mine.

Nope.  That's patina - sorta like how copper turns green over time.  It must be preserved to maintain the building's Brutalist authenticity.   :ph34r:

• Like 1

Except for powerwashing the outside.  Surely they are going to do that, right? Anyone?  They can borrow mine.

Cleaning and caulking the exterior was part of the plan.  Has it not been done?

The staging is a theater techs dream. There are no dedicated pipes for lighting, any pipe can be a lighting pipe. There are 4000 dimmer circuits for the ultimate flexibility.

Except for powerwashing the outside. Surely they are going to do that, right? Anyone? They can borrow mine.

It sure does need a washing. Bird stuff left all over the steps

I don't understand this renovation at all. While the interior probably improved, the exterior is way worse! Still can't believe how horrible Studio Red's addition is to the building. So out of scale, such bad material choice. Add colorful LEDs to the mix and you have yourself and hot mess!

• Like 2

Odd, I was thinking the opposite, not necessarily that the exterior change was exactly what the space needed, but that it blends in well enough to not be a distraction, and ends up just being another element of the building. That and the lighting helps the place out at night.

• Like 2

I don't understand this renovation at all. While the interior probably improved, the exterior is way worse! Still can't believe how horrible Studio Red's addition is to the building. So out of scale, such bad material choice. Add colorful LEDs to the mix and you have yourself and hot mess!

I like the LED, softens the concrete. The Box on top was a poor choice.

The fly loft box does stick out like a sore thumb, but so does the whole building. It's a "double or nothing" kind of design choice to my untrained eye.

Seems like the place will be a whole lot more functional now.

I wish they had covered it in concrete (even a thin layer) so it would have at least fit in with the Brutalist style of the rest of the building. But there's really not much they could have done to make it not look out of place.

• Like 1