Sign in to follow this  
H-Town Man

Latest Outrage from the Rail Opposition

Just because those are decimal points doesn't mean that it is not a large amount of money. $200,000,000 in cost over-runs is an insane amount of money.

I think it's more like $370 million to $570 million in overruns, just using his numbers.

Edited by H-Town Man

I knew you'd be back. :)

But not to argue. At least not about Culberson and rail anymore.

Most people would say that this sounds like a defense: "But wow, a politician not doing something he said he would do in office? Call a congressional hearing, this is unheard of!"

Most people would call that sarcasm (at least, I hope so).

And since you have shown a special sensitivity to the use of quotation marks in this thread, it's worth mentioning that I never referred to myself as the "winner."

It would be different if we were actually discussing it in person. I don't use air quotes in real life conversations.

Look, I'm really not defending Culberson, but am I generally disgusted at politics and politicians in general, of which Culberson is thrown into.

As for cost overruns, it doesn't mean that every agency that underestimates a cost is incompetent or the project isn't worth it. The Big Dig went $10 billion overbudget (at least) and still had problems. That was a disaster.

But not to argue. At least not about Culberson and rail anymore.

Most people would call that sarcasm (at least, I hope so).

It would be different if we were actually discussing it in person. I don't use air quotes in real life conversations.

Look, I'm really not defending Culberson, but am I generally disgusted at politics and politicians in general, of which Culberson is thrown into.

As for cost overruns, it doesn't mean that every agency that underestimates a cost is incompetent or the project isn't worth it. The Big Dig went $10 billion overbudget (at least) and still had problems. That was a disaster.

Well, of course sarcasm can be used to defend someone. I agree about the Big Dig.

Reading all of this gives me cancer >.< ! Still waiting for this to become a productive conversation.....anytime now.

I think it's more like $370 million to $570 million in overruns, just using his numbers.

Which is still an insane amount of money.

And Luminare, you said it yourself, rail discussions are never productive. It's just an endless cycle of people who have very strong opinions on the matter.

Good questions. I like rail because of the option that it gives. It lets me get around the city without dealing with a car, putting up with the lurching and bumpiness of a bus, or paying the high cost of a taxi. It's just a very pleasant way to move about. And I do like the other people you see on a train; you have more human interaction in your day and the people are for some reason generally in a better mood than on a bus.

The anger comes from watching rail in Houston get thwarted over and over despite the popular support for it.

It really is sad to see where Houston is today with rail. Could you imagine how the city would have grown if the 1980s heavy rail plan was built? It would be completely different and a few light rail lines in the loop still would most likely have been built around this time.

I just came back from St. Louis recently and took the train from their airport to my hotel in Clayton. Took about 40 minutes but I was fine with that. I'm going to Seattle next weekend and they have a link from their airport to downtown. Basically every major city in America (NYC, Boston, DC, SF, LA, Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, Philly, Baltimore, Seattle, Denver, Chicago, St. Louis, Minneapolis-St. Paul, etc.) all either have a rail connection from their airport to downtown, or (only Denver on the list) are in the process of constructing it. Houston is of course the largest metro area and city without a link.

If I could walk to the light rail station under construction near my apartment (or most likely get a short two minute ride there) and take that train to downtown, where I would transfer on another to the airport, I would do it. It's about options and we have none in Houston. Yeah, it would take 60 to 80 or even 90 minutes. But at the same time, I'm not driving 45+ miles roundtrip to and from the airport. I also would not have to watch my tank go down on that drive, or deal with traffic, or deal with the Parking Spot (which those off site lots take 20+ minutes themselves once you get into their lot and they take you to your terminal). Instead I could text, listen to music, talk on the phone and just bullshit on the train ride to the airport like I did in the other cities I have been to and utilized the options that those cities give people. Meanwhile, my cars keeps it miles driven low, less wear and tear, etc. It isn't all about saving time and for some reason antirailers seem to think that is all rail is good for.

Right now, I am currently debating whether or not I really want to drive the 30+ miles to far west Katy and see a friend who bought a house over there. If there was rail, I would already be on the Blue Line-Katy train and tell my friend to pick me up from the Grand Parkway station. But nooooo, Houston was blessed with John Culberson and Bob Lanier.

• Like 3

The people I know from Boston think it sucked at the time, and the cost overruns were ludicrous, but after it's all said and done, the city is much improved from it.

The people I know from Boston think it sucked at the time, and the cost overruns were ludicrous, but after it's all said and done, the city is much improved from it.

Arguably part of the cost was stuff that should've been done years ago: the city had no real downtown highway system at all except for a crappy 1940s viaduct that wasn't designed to handle nearly as much traffic as it did.

Reading all of this gives me cancer >.< ! Still waiting for this to become a productive conversation.....anytime now.

I know. I'm worn out, and almost crosseyed.