Sign in to follow this  
TowerSpotter

Rebekah Townhomes

Is this where the Ecclesia Church was located?

I wonder if the potential buyers know what horrible condition the streets and sidewalks are in.

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 2

So will this be 2 buildings next to each other?

2100 taft and 2110 Mason look like the same block on google maps.

interior design, is ultra modern and simply perfect.  however, there is something a bit creepy about those exterior windows.  something is just not gelling as per this exterior...

• Like 1

It's not a bad design in itself, but to me it does lean a little too close to the point where modern, unadorned design starts to come off as cheap.  For some reason the exterior makes me think of college dorms.

• Like 2

I'm with Subdude. It's not bad, but risks looking cheap instead of modern. It will all depend on the detailing and the quality of the execution.

• Like 1

To me the exterior looks craptastic.

I like the interior renderings though.

It's pretty standard luxury apartment styling. Tan brick on the exterior, hardwood floors inside, high-insulating window glass, garage on the lower floors. It's been done to death.

Edited by toxtethogrady

Did the tejas boot place close? This rendering takes up a square block?

It looked open when I rode my bike past it last weekend - but it's hard to tell sometimes with that place....I'll take a closer look next time I ride by...(I think the rendering does show the boot place still there though)

Edited by HoustonMidtown

I like the boot place I'm glad it's staying.

I wonder though at the traffic increase on those narrow streets some of which have open drainage instead of sidewalks.

Also the water pressure here is crap. Maybe it will improve after COH finishes laying all the new pipes but so far the yahoo groups is full of complaints about water pressure.

• Like 1

Spooky.

When I moved to Houston (1981) my first address was 2010 Taft; so I'm familiar with the neighborhood.

The first purchase I made after moving to Houston was at Texas Junk, diagonally across the street, on Welch (it was a funky old medical lamp; wish I still had it.)

Anyway - the northwest corner of Welch and Taft was/is occupied by two fourplexes (there's a small building between the two.) They're nearly 100 years old

As a devout supporter of historic properties, I'm happy to hear that they might be torn down.

They were cheap and nasty when they were built and have gone steadily downhill since.

(edit: I realize that the proposed development is half a block away - still, as has been pointed out, this is a neighborhood with some rough edges. Expect issues with streets, utilities, parking and sidewalks.)

Edited by dbigtex56
  • Like 2

Sorry I meant Texas Junk- my grand kids love going to that old place. I was talking to the owner and if I remember correctly the apartment building you refer to May have been abandoned shortly after you moved--- he was telling me he took it upon himself to board it up to keep junkies out- he was afraid they'd start a fire.

Telephone pole has been moved out of the middle of the driveway.

I though they were going for a biker's only development 

I am very excited to see this going in three blocks from my house.  I thought for sure it would be Urban Living townhomes going in there, which by the way, have become the Kudzu of Houston.  I like the Mirador group and their interiors.

This sign made me wonder - does anyone have any idea what's involved in maintaining a residential elevator like the one that is going into these townhomes?

This sign made me wonder - does anyone have any idea what's involved in maintaining a residential elevator like the one that is going into these townhomes?

Not as big a deal as a commercial elevator by any means. Still, repairs and some maintenance is not at DIY job. Keep in mind too, even if a family of four used the elevator six times a day each, that is miniscule compared to what an elevator in even a small office building would see.

Yeah, but they also (probably) don't inspect it annually. I'm guessing though its a hydraulic elevator, which is easier to maintain/install. Do elevators increase homeowners insurance rates for the homeowner? haha

Yeah, but they also (probably) don't inspect it annually. I'm guessing though its a hydraulic elevator, which is easier to maintain/install. Do elevators increase homeowners insurance rates for the homeowner? haha

I have an elevator in my house. It's not hydraulic. Insurance is not affected. There is no inspection or maintenance required by the city. It is recommend by the manufacturer though. They come with 1 year free maintenance. You are required by the manufacturer to go through about a half hour training and safety orientation.

A preventative maintenance visit is $375. A basic service call is $290. You can pre-pay for these for a discount. 

The guy that did my orientation said not to worry about maintenance for about 5 years. 

There's a UPS to keep the light on if the power goes out and lower you to the next floor down.  There's also a hand crank in the attic for manual lowering. 

The city does require you to have a phone in the elevator. They will not leave it in operable condition unless you have one. They show you how to make it operable though so there's really no enforcement. 

It's very nice to have when you are moving in. Our house is only 3 stories though. We rarely use the elevator unless we are hauling stuff up to 3. I purposely use it occasionally just to keep it lubricated. You don't want to let it sit for months without use. They sell an auto-run kit for $145 that will run it every 48 hours just for this purpose. 

Here's a couple photos I took during installation.

post-4172-0-55884500-1437671107_thumb.jp

post-4172-0-15245300-1437671108_thumb.jp

Edited by jgriff
  • Like 2

Thanks for the info!  That is much less involved than I expected an elevator to be to run.  The lack of city inspections surprises me, but I guess it's because it's not a business 

On August 19, 2014 at 11:26 PM, dbigtex56 said:

The first purchase I made after moving to Houston was at Texas Junk, diagonally across the street, on Welch (it was a funky old medical lamp; wish I still had it.)

I finally stopped by the old garage/ Texas Junk Co. on Welch St. about a month ago. I enjoyed it. Talked to the owner of the company, interesting fellow. I bought an old door knob, a small art deco spoon, and an old book about Indianola. His boot collection was impressive.

I told him I wanted to just see the building. I like to see buildings with original facades, that still look OLD. That screen door entrance and the interior... oozes of motor oil and the 1930's. 

Does anyone know the story of the "No Cats Junk"? was that the business before Texas Junk? love those cats! 

BTW: The boot co. owner was given notice (as some of you may have read) to vacate the building by end of September. Hate to see this happen. Guess he lost his lease.

• Like 1