Farb Hyde Park: Multifamily High-Rise At 2409 Montrose Blvd.

trymahjong

Someone sent this info to me.

Www.swamplot.com/tag/topic-Montrose

That's a tight squeeze. I guess that place had it coming. It's a shame, because their spring rolls are really good, but it's been empty every time I've been there.

Edit: It has gone down hill though. The inside smells like raw sewage. I'm curious how the design will look, I guess the apartments would go on top of the garage?

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 1

That's a tight squeeze. I guess that place had it coming. It's a shame, because their spring rolls are really good, but it's been empty every time I've been there.

Edit: It has gone down hill though. The inside smells like raw sewage. I'm curious how the design will look, I guess the apartments would go on top of the garage?

I have fond memories of that place too - but it was always empty - I wondered how they could stay in business when there was nobody there - we always joked it was the mafia !

Edited by HoustonMidtown
  • Like 1

Noticed that a variance sign has gone up on the southeast corner of Montrose and Fairview, to build a multifamily residential structure.

Currently it's a parking lot, and has been for more than 20 years. 

(This is across the street from La Mexicana restaurant, on Fairview.)

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I have been taking a closer look at the artist rendering of what Mr Farb has in mind for the sidewalks---COH now frowns on planting trees so close to the curb--not enough root space and later on the roots do an upheaval thing to the curbing.

Maybe the two threads should be combined into one.

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 1

There used to be a big old house on this site.  It burned in the early 80's.  A friend of mine that grew up here said that an exorcism was performed there in the 70's.  I remember the fire was so intense that the tailights of the cars parked at La Mexicana melted. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The two Civic associations that wrote letters of protest must have made enough noise that the variance was put on hold and

A special person assigned to the request. That person has been assigned and new protest letters. Are going out. Since the National Night Out Oct 7-gatherings are fairly well attended I'm sure there will be additional information and requests for additional letters supporting denying the variance.

Farb said the losing the variance request might force him to build higher- I believe the locals are okay with that.

• Like 1

I'm a little confused(a common occurrence.)

But why do the civic associations want the variance request to be denied?

And why would they be ok with a taller building, but not this one?

I guess if the variance is denied then the developer has to build according to a 25' setback or something along those lines.  If that happens, he would have to build taller in order to get similar square footage than if he could build closer to the property line.

I would think the neighborhood would not want this as well but maybe they are not convinced the developer would go taller.  Some people also think that allowing a reduced setback would reduce privacy on the nearby properties.

• Like 2

So this is a really stupid question, I know, but is this a for sure thing because it would be so amazing for this part of Montrose? Along with the new residential happening a few blocks away.

There are no stupid questions.

It's not for sure until dirt starts moving. Nothing is.

For all we know, the economy could collapse tomorrow and all proposed projects would be canceled. Of course, the chances of this happening is extremely low, but my point is, as I stated above, that we can't be sure a project will happen until it actually happens.

• Like 2

There are no stupid questions.

It's not for sure until dirt starts moving. Nothing is.

For all we know, the economy could collapse tomorrow and all proposed projects would be canceled. Of course, the chances of this happening is extremely low, but my point is, as I stated above, that we can't be sure a project will happen until it actually happens.

Lol very true, thank you man

• Like 1

• 1 month later...