Guilty Pleasures: Food

IronTiger

We all know that we should eat healthy and good-tasting food: perhaps you can cook really good food or would be a health nut except for that one bit of junk food you shouldn't eat.

I consider myself to be a healthy eater (relatively) with a taste for good food and drink (yes, including beer--stay away from the mainstream domestics), but I have a number of weaknesses:

- Jack in the Box tacos. A hideous, greasy mess of nearly white lettuce and meat that resembled refried beans, but they are really good.

- Zebra Cakes. They're cheap and the fat tends to your stick to your mouth, but since the CVS opened across from campus, they're the best place to get snacks like that.

- Sardines. Sardines on crackers sounds disgusting (and it is cheap), but I really do like it and will usually consume an entire can with half a dozen crackers.

Part of the common threads up there is that they're all cheap (I'm a college student with not a whole lot of disposable income) but they're all foods that I enjoy (I despise fried pork skins and Hot Pockets) even though I know I really shouldn't be eating them.

Have any food-related guilty pleasures you're aware of? McDonald's hamburgers? Pizza with cheddar cheese? Bubble gum-flavored ice cream? I won't laugh, I promise!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jordan almonds

fried chicken, fried shrimp, chicken fried steak, fried green beans, fried squash, fried zucchini...see a trend?

salted caramel ice cream

raw cookie dough

ditto jack in the box tacos, add their egg rolls

dried chili mangos from world market

buttermilk pralines

parmesan fries with truffle mustard from fielding's in the woodlands

Jesus Christ this website got boring! As each day ends I thing this website get lamer and lamer. Are there any new towers or new cool businesses coming to town? 

This IS the Off-Topic section, you know. Probably NOT the place to come looking for posts about "new towers or new cool businesses coming to town." Those would be On Topic discussions. You probably ought to look for them in the designated places. I believe there are several.

Glad to be of help... 

Usually I'm Mr Healthy Eating, but I do have this obsession with flavored potato chips.  I even keep a stash in the pantry, so in case Lay's ever goes out of business and there's a chipocolypse, I'll be ready. 

- Sardines. Sardines on crackers sounds disgusting (and it is cheap), but I really do like it and will usually consume an entire can with half a dozen crackers.

:o   Someone at work eats sardines at lunch, and afterwards the um, aroma, lingers..

:o   Someone at work eats sardines at lunch, and afterwards the um, aroma, lingers..

I wouldn't do that to people...one thing for certain is my cat is certainly intrigued by the smell and put her front paws on the counter, something she hasn't done for years (and she's a very old cat at 14)...

I wouldn't do that to people...one thing for certain is my cat is certainly intrigued by the smell and put her front paws on the counter, something she hasn't done for years (and she's a very old cat at 14)...

Lol.  Are these sardines with heads?

No, they're just the ones that you buy in a store, even the ones packaged with "Louisiana hot sauce", though my cat has a taste for seafood, and she prefers the Hill Country Fare brand "Cat Dinners" cat food over the name brands.

No, they're just the ones that you buy in a store, even the ones packaged with "Louisiana hot sauce", though my cat has a taste for seafood, and she prefers the Hill Country Fare brand "Cat Dinners" cat food over the name brands.

so, would HCF Cat Dinner qualify as Miss Kitty's guilty food pleasure?

And since this IS the internet, cat pictures or it didn't happen.

I watch what I eat most of the time. I try to stay away from junk, but after a night of drinking it calls for it.

Whataburger's Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuit/taquito or biscuits and gravy. 

Sonic's cheesy tots (only if they're crispy).

BRC's Bacon Jam (Chicken biscuits with gravy and fried egg).

I'm a bread monster. If I buy some breads from the grocery store I usually eat a whole one as soon as I get home. I could probably only eat bread for the rest of my life and be happy.

Genoa Salami, Gouda, Baby Swiss, Chipoltle Cheddar. Take one slice of each with a squirt of yellow mustard.

Raising Cane's is amazing. Never disappoint. 

I'm a bread monster. If I buy some breads from the grocery store I usually eat a whole one as soon as I get home. I could probably only eat bread for the rest of my life and be happy.

Fiesta makes these great loaves that are larger than a bolilo but smaller than a regular loaf of bread which I if I recall correctly was their torta bread. Very very good. Between that and their cheap apple fritters, I fell in love with Fiesta last spring. Unfortunately, Fiesta isn't around up here in the northwestern wastelands.

I participate in the eternal search for the ultimate chicken fried steak.  

Sometimes it has tragic results.  A few years ago, I was traveling with some friends from the SF bay area.  We stopped off at a roadhouse in Redding or someplace like that for dinner.  Living up to stereotype, they all had things like salads and/or turkey; I had to go with what was billed as CFS - drawing shudders and comments of "you're going to eat battered, deep fried, RED MEAT??!!??" To which I could only respond, "yep.  With cream gravy."  I was so sadly disappointed when it was some sort of Sysco-esque patty that was breaded, not battered... though I really don't know why I expected anything better.  There are some things you just can't get west of the Central time zone, among them decent CFS, good bourbon...

There are some things you just can't get west of the Central time zone, among them decent CFS, good bourbon...

You can add chili to that list. I was in Chattanooga, TN at Rock City a few years back and I had a hankering for a chili dog. So we went to the concession stand and I told the guy what I wanted. He asked me, point blank, "Are you from Texas?" Astonished I replied, "Yeah, is it that obvious?" And he told me flat-out, "You don't want a chili dog. Take it plain. Trust me." Guess he had had his share of Texans come through and complain about the chili and wanted to save himself some grief. So I took him at his word and ordered a hamburger instead.

You can add chili to that list. I was in Chattanooga, TN at Rock City a few years back and I had a hankering for a chili dog. So we went to the concession stand and I told the guy what I wanted. He asked me, point blank, "Are you from Texas?" Astonished I replied, "Yeah, is it that obvious?" And he told me flat-out, "You don't want a chili dog. Take it plain. Trust me." Guess he had had his share of Texans come through and complain about the chili and wanted to save himself some grief. So I took him at his word and ordered a hamburger instead.

Yes, chili is bastardized outside of Texas. I am mostly a purist, I like beans, but anything with corn in it is already too far away.

The Feb/2011 issue of Bon Appetit, "The United States of Chili" opens with a horrifying greenish mixtures with potatoes and pork with a dark purplish blob on top of it. I was revolted by what those heathens in say, Ohio, considered "chili".

Paulaner Hefe-Weizen.  I'm hooked on wheat beers in general, but this is my favorite.

Hostess chocolate pudding pies.  For some reason they can be hard to find here sometimes.  I've tried competing brands and none taste quite as good.  Could be a childhood memory thing.

Ghiradelli.  Ghiradelli hot chocolate saved my life one cold, dreary day in SF.

Texas pecan flavored coffee.  Usually get Lola Savannah from HEB or Katz's.

Yes, chili is bastardized outside of Texas. I am mostly a purist, I like beans, but anything with corn in it is already too far away.

The Feb/2011 issue of Bon Appetit, "The United States of Chili" opens with a horrifying greenish mixtures with potatoes and pork with a dark purplish blob on top of it. I was revolted by what those heathens in say, Ohio, considered "chili".

My grandmother from west Texas used to be adamant that beans don't belong on chili.  My other grandmother, from Wisconsin, liked to make chili-mac...something I still can't bring myself to eat.  Surprisingly, they got along pretty well.  I guess they just never talked chili.  Personally, I like beans in my chili, I just don't tell my west Texas grandma.  But, I draw the line at macaroni.  Macaroni just doesn't belong anywhere near a bowl of chili.

I'm guessing from your description that the article was about chili verde. Chili verde is not chili. Nor does it pretend to be. It's called chili verde because... it has green chilis in it. Totally different animal.

It's actually quite good, although I don't have a clue as to what that "dark purplish blob" is.

My grandmother from west Texas used to be adamant that beans don't belong on chili.  My other grandmother, from Wisconsin, liked to make chili-mac...something I still can't bring myself to eat.

What's wrong with chili mac? I think it's great! Now, I wouldn't waste my best bowl of chili on chili mac. But yeah, if you've got an inferior bowl of red, throwing in some mac can help it out. Same with frito pie. Goods stuff there, too. But not where you'd put your best recipe.

I get the chili with all beans, no carne.

Then you'd probably like Steak and Shake's chili. That's pretty much all it was - beans. When I went to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway a few years back, my cousin, who lives in Cincinnati but grew up here, warned me about the chili when we stopped at one. If there was meat in that chili, I never found it. But there was a whole field's worth of beans in there. So much so they had no room for any kind of spices whatsoever.

FWIW, I do remember seeing Steak and Shake has opened up at least one restaurant in the Greater Houston area. The hamburgers are decent enough.

Then you'd probably like Steak and Shake's chili. That's pretty much all it was - beans. When I went to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway a few years back, my cousin, who lives in Cincinnati but grew up here, warned me about the chili when we stopped at one. If there was meat in that chili, I never found it. But there was a whole field's worth of beans in there. So much so they had no room for any kind of spices whatsoever.

FWIW, I do remember seeing Steak and Shake has opened up at least one restaurant in the Greater Houston area. The hamburgers are decent enough.

I ate at one in Pearland about 6 months ago.  Think I've seen them elsewhere as well.

Frito pie is its own food group.  

And it definitely belongs among the guilty pleasures (one benchmark for which is how well it horrifies friends from foreign states).

Oh yeah, frito pie is great. A hot dog tastes good at an MLB game, but oddly enough, at a Little League game, I'd always eat frito pie. I used to live down the street from the Memorial Ashford Little League on Briar Forest a few years ago, and while I had no kids, either in the league or just period, I'd like to go over there to watch a few games just for the fun of it and they had some surprisingly good frito pie at the concession stand.

The Chronicle did a story on a local restaurant that had concocted some guy of hoity toity frito pie with really fancy ingredients and a price tag to match. That kinda defeats the whole purpose of frito pie in my mind. If you are paying $25 for a bowl of frito pie, you're not only getting gouged, but you're missing out on what frito pie is all about: something good, fast and cheap.

I'm with you on the Jack in the Box tacos. I don't even want to know what that mystery meat is. I just know I have been addicted to them since their debut when I was in high school in the 60's. Great late night munchie food. 

We all know that we should eat healthy and good-tasting food: perhaps you can cook really good food or would be a health nut except for that one bit of junk food you shouldn't eat.

I consider myself to be a healthy eater (relatively) with a taste for good food and drink (yes, including beer--stay away from the mainstream domestics), but I have a number of weaknesses:

- Jack in the Box tacos. A hideous, greasy mess of nearly white lettuce and meat that resembled refried beans, but they are really good.

What are your favorite CFS's in the Houston area?

BB's and Hickory Hollow are pretty good.

Hickory Hollow is supposed to be a Bar-B-Que place. I've been there a number of times and I've never had the bar-b-que. I've always gotten the CFS. And most of the people I've seen eating there get CFS too. I've never heard anyone talk about their bar-b-que. Might be awful for all I know.

Archived