Back in 1986 when Johnny Carrabba and Damian Mandola bought their first little gutted x rated store and turned it into one of the most popular restaurants in Houston at the height of the last bust people thought they were crazy. Then they bought the property around the remodeled, and then rebuilt restaurant, and now have a dynasty at the epicenter of the Upper Kirby district.  I believe Carrabba's, was  one of the early tipping points for that whole area. I worked for them from 86 until 94 working on my masters and they were very savvy to accrue the land they did and have reaped the benefits of those early moves.

They have got to love what has followed.

Just an aside, does anyone remember one of the greatest grocery store/ import markets, right across the street from Carrabbas. Jamail's the original Central Market/ European import and deli, that catered to the River Oaks crowd.

It was one of a kind and way ahead of its time. Now that was a place to see just about anyone who was important in Houston.

Yes, I remember Jamail's.  You used to be able to get a Coke from their machines for a nickle in the mid-80's (at least that is how I remember it).  I think there were actually three of them at one point.  Here's a website about them:  http://jamails.com/about-us/history/  

I thought one of them was on Shepherd where the Pet Smart is (perhaps the third picture in the link), but my memory could be fading.  Maybe it was Montrose like the webpage suggests . . . .

Yes, I remember Jamail's.  You used to be able to get a Coke from their machines for a nickle in the mid-80's (at least that is how I remember it).  I think there were actually three of them at one point.  Here's a website about them:  http://jamails.com/about-us/history/

I thought one of them was on Shepherd where the Pet Smart is (perhaps the third picture in the link), but my memory could be fading.  Maybe it was Montrose like the webpage suggests . . . .

I now see that the third picture is actually the location on Kirby.  

Edited by htownproud

the Phase III of WestAve (largest phase yet) will show that off nicely.

This IS going where West Ave Phase III expansion was planned..

edit: Or at least part of it.. It was planned to go south of I and II so I guess they could still build a phase III, it just wouldn't be fronting Kirby anymore

Edited by cloud713

OMG traffic is gong to get worse.  The good things I can walk to numerous restaurants in the area.  Whole Foods is one block away. 

Wow, I didn't even think of that. Traffic is insane as it is and I refuse to go Kirby towards Shepherd in River Oaks. You can be waiting there up to 20 or 30 mins when it's congested.

Beautiful tower and it's a wonderful surprise but if this city wants to see more highrises like this in its inner-core, it's going to need to work on moving more people around. Kirby has already been beautified and expanded to its limit. It's time this city gets serious about mass transit.

• Like 3

Has there ever been a proposal to put light rail down the center of Kirby? It seems that a light rail moving down Kirby toward the Allen Parkway into Downtown could be quite useful. Kirby, as has been mentioned here, has similar facets to Post Oak and rail might be a good way to move some folks around. Of course, there is the 'River Oaks' problem for the sections of Kirby further north. 

Love this! Just a few questions. Is this on the same lot that West Ave Phase III was going to be on? How close is this to the new Kirby Collection development? Who thinks Kirby is the new Post Oak Blvd, Rodeo Drive, or 5th Ave type street?

Has there ever been a proposal to put light rail down the center of Kirby? It seems that a light rail moving down Kirby toward the Allen Parkway into Downtown could be quite useful. Kirby, as has been mentioned here, has similar facets to Post Oak and rail might be a good way to move some folks around. Of course, there is the 'River Oaks' problem for the sections of Kirby further north.

Heh.. A post of mine from the Rail Charette thread... While not light rail, I think subway would be a better fit for Upper Kirby and avoid a "River Oaks" fiasco, a la Afton Oaks, and without obstructing any potential roadway with rail. (Ignore the rest of the map.. Not trying to sidetrack the thread, and a few things have changed anyways..)

...before popping up on the south side of Memorial Park and riding along the surface again, joining up with Memorial Dr and continuing into the western terminus of the green/purple LRT lines in downtown/the theater district.

A Kirby subway also pops up to the surface and connects into the Memorial line so there is direct access to downtown from Kirby too.

Red - subway

Dark Blue - light rail

Light blue - express/commuter rail

Black - highways

7C5AC55F-B2A9-4035-BAE6-7AC89086C0E0_zps

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 2

It's a nice design.  I live on the eastern side of Steel St.  I can see Upper Kirby Gable behind of West Alabama my condo window.  OMG traffic is gong to get worse.  The good things I can walk to numerous restaurants in the area.  Whole Foods is one block away. 

Well if you give it a pass they make sure that the rest of the attorneys that apparently live here? that it will be fine!

@cloud713

For the love of all things holy do NOT bring rail into this convo as much as it is the big elephant in the room in EVERY development inside the loop. I'm trying really hard to not bring that topic in....because it destroys threads on this forum.

Everyone lets just focus on this nice pretty building....go on lets just keep looking at it and rave about it!!!

Edited by Luminare

Well if you give it a pass they make sure that the rest of the attorneys that apparently live here? that it will be fine!

@cloud713

For the love of all things holy do NOT bring rail into this convo as much as it is the big elephant in the room in EVERY development inside the loop. I'm trying really hard to not bring that topic in....because it destroys threads on this forum.

Everyone lets just focus on this nice pretty building....go on lets just keep looking at it and rave about it!!!

Woah now.. Pretty sure houstontexasjack brought up rail first and I was just responding to him... (Sorry jack, not trying to throw you under the bus)

I agree though, don't let rail side track this thread.. I even said I didn't want my post to sidetrack the thread, I just thought it was cool we both had the same vision for connecting upper Kirby to downtown.

• Like 1

This high rise will compliment Kirby.  It is looking very nice that the cables are underground and the trees are growing.  The nice sculpture in the middle of the street at Westheimer.  Kirby Thor is next, whoever bought the property on Richmond and Kirby where Office Depot, Supercuts have to wait till their lease is up.  Which could take 5 years.  They are getting to bury the power lines on Westheimer from Shepard to Weslayen add landscaping and wider sidewalks.  Stay away if you can because Shepard has only one lane in each direction.  It will take a year to finish Shepard.  This new highrise is it for rent? 2727 Kirby are for sale and very expensive.  Nobody has bought the top floor.    

• Like 1

Yeah, I think I'm the only one that's bothered to count so far. There could be more than 38 stories (the box protruding from the top), but the balconies stop at 38.

Edit: I guess if you count the amenity deck as the first floor of the "apartment tower", skipping over the 8 story garage, then it would be ~30 stories.

Edited by cloud713

I've been saying this for 2 years but Upper Kirby is one of the two corridors (the other being Allen Parkway) are quickly becoming Houston's condo canyon/highrise canyon areas.

The Kirby Collection, now this, the Phase III of WestAve (largest phase yet), and 2727 will show that off nicely.

Allen Parkway turns into Kirby...I call that stretch from Downtown to Reliant Stadium (NRG) our Broadway...or at least I think it will become that

Interesting thought.

To me, Kirby (south of 59) looks craptastic and likely always will.

it is unlikely that kirby between rice village and upper kirby will remain craptastic.

also, regarding kirby/allen parkway becoming like broadway: good luck getting towers or high density anything built from shepherd to san felipe; not gonna happen.

• Like 3

it is unlikely that kirby between rice village and upper kirby will remain craptastic.

also, regarding kirby/allen parkway becoming like broadway: good luck getting towers or high density anything built from shepherd to san felipe; not gonna happen.

yeah i was going to make a post saying thats why i stopped my theoretical (off-topic) subway line at Halcome/Bellaire, because i felt it got craptastic south of that, and the areas through rice village would only get nicer/more urban. 

but yeah, River Oaks will remain there for a very long time.. thats another reason why i suggested a subway. i dont see them being any cooler about surface rail rolling through their "residential" streets than the Afton Oaks folks.

it would still be impressive lining at least upper kirby with high-rises/high-density developments creating a denser/more urban and pedestrian friendly version of Post Oak or Westheimer.

• Like 1

One thing for sure. Of all of the TIRZ's Upper Kirby district along with Midtown is the most dominant and progressive organizations in the city. They definitely have a concise plan and have consistently worked to improve the area. They are growing the brand to extend from Westheimer to Bissonnet. They also seem to be pro rail. I don't think we'll see a rail down Kirby but they are in favor of the University line. I do think that Kirby will be one of the most important streets in the inner city along with Montrose, which in my opinion is way overdue for a total make over. I'm sure within time, might be 25 years, but that Kirby will be a canyon of highrise towers from 59 to Westheimer. It will happen.

• Like 4

Except there is a Broadway and it goes straight to Hobby Airport. (And one day, it might even be nice to look at  :wacko:).

Off topic but right now Broadway is getting a $17 millon refurbishing (which it badly needs). Since this is many peoples' first glimpse of Houston, if they enter via Hobby Airport, I'm glad to see it happening.

BTW, Broadway sort of turns into Harrisburg FWIW.

Edited by Specwriter