Terminating the La Porte Freeway

pderry11

The western terminus of SH 225 has always bothered me. The stubby end dangling inside the loop and the cleared right of way are probably never going to be extended or used, so why not just demolish most of the stack there at 610? It's less lane mileage and bridges to maintain and with the way the east end is growing any future extension of 225 would either cost far too much or get shot down by the community (as I would expect them to.) I can imagine the existing ROW west of 610 being re-purposed perhaps as a park or sold off to developers. 

I almost forgot to mention the reason I highlighted Dexter Jones name through out the article. I did that because I first sent it, about 2-1/2 years ago, to a person who knew Mr. Jones but did not know about his involvement in the State Highway 225 extension debate.

Good article. Some of the streets sharp angles reflect the layout of very early 1800's railroad tracks, along with La Porte Road. I can remember watching this construction along with the huge 610 bridge across the ship channel. My high school, Milby, sat very near it all. I've never read about the Milby park land and court battle before. Personally, I'm glad the Harrisburg Frwy didn't get built. Houston is chopped up enough by them.

Oh, and I heard the empty lot right across Broadway and Lawndale was supposed to be turned into a park.

The article is from Houston Freeways, which can be downloaded in full, but it is interesting because it highlights the process of 225's stub: it was killed more by budget shortfalls (which put it on the backburner indefinitely) rather than a simple "triumph of the will" type story (though the latter certainly makes for a better story). Even if there was no opposition, the ROW acquisition process would be a rather expensive process either way.

I drive by this area almost every day due to work. 

This whole 45 / 610 / 225 confluence needs a major overhaul. It should really be looked at as one big interchange and not two separate one. I know that originally 225 was supposed to go all the way downtown, but now that it's not the traffic can get really bad during the week. I'm surprised frankly that more wrecks and chemical spills don't happen here.

There needs to be I45 to 225 direct connectors. It should resemble how the 290/610 interchange will allow for direct I10 to 290 access. 

After (or in concurrence with) the direct connectors, the exit for 45 north for the 610 southbound traffic should be moved back (farther north and b/f the 225 interchange) so as the traffic from 225 getting onto 610 isn't fighting the exiting traffic of 610.

I've included a map of the area for those not familiar:

post-12487-0-32065800-1407777708_thumb.j

I drive 225 inbound in the mornings frequently. On the map it loks like 225 and 45 are far enough apart that merging on to 610 then on to 45 north would not be a problem. The reality though is different. It is a wonder there are not more accidents there.

The distance on 610 from the Gulf Freeway to 225 isn't much different than the distance between the Katy and Northwest Freeways in the opposite quadrant.  I've driven that area a lot, and agree that it requires superior Traffic Ninja skills at times.  I suspect the reason it doesn't seem to be quite as big a challenge as 290/610/10 is that the traffic count on 225 may not be as high as on 290. 

If you look at the Google aerial view of the interchange, you'll see that you really can't "demolish most of the stack" because it will become impossible for local traffic to make connections due to the minimal frontage roads at the interchange. For example, on southbound 610 there is no frontage road, so there would be no way to connect into the area. Also, going eastbound on 225 from Lawndale, there would be no way to connect to northbound 610. Same is true for eastbound 610 to westbound 225 - there is no way to connect with frontage roads, so that ramp is needed. Only one connection, EB 225 to WB 610 can be made on frontage roads.

The ramps are surely be a big convenience to nearby businesses and residents, making it much easier to get on and off the freeway. Take them away and you could be subjecting those folks to a big daily hassle.

Demolition also costs money and disrupts traffic. You might as well leave it alone as long as there is no negative impact.

That being said, I expect the ramps connecting to the stub to eventually be removed when they reach the end of their usable life. That may be in the not-too-distant future (maybe 15-30 years). When the entire interchange is rebuilt, I would expect the frontage roads of both freeways to be brought through the interchange, providing connections to the stub frontage roads.

The idea of creating a design on 610 similar to the design between Interstate 10 West and US 290 (Northwest Freeway) is an interesting idea. I don't know if traffic counts can justify it, and it would require a big right-of-way clearance. SH 225 was studied for future improvements a few years ago, and the recommended improvements were minimal. So I don't see a project of that scope in the future.

As for Dexter Jones, I interviewed him for the Houston Freeways book and he also supplied some photos for the book (on topics other than SH 225). I think the cancellation of SH 225 was the biggest disappointment of his career since he was heavily involved in that project. As others have noted, lack of funding probably was the biggest reason for the cancellation. But as I note in the book I think it would have remained alive and dormant in the 1970s (and possibly moved forward eventually) if there was no community opposition and there was instead strong support from the City of Houston and business interests. But the support was not there.

And the final irony is that the opposition thought the freeway cancellation would revitalize the area. Well, that certainly did not happen - the area is still blighted and distressed, maybe worse than ever. No renaissance at all.  But who knows, with the light rail and expanding urban revitalization, the area may actually start improving some day.

And the final irony is that the opposition thought the freeway cancellation would revitalize the area. Well, that certainly did not happen - the area is still blighted and distressed, maybe worse than ever. No renaissance at all. But who knows, with the light rail and expanding urban revitalization, the area may actually start improving some day.

Blighted, maybe more gritty...distressed, that's a little over the top...worse than ever, whatever. The area is already improving. In the last five years that I've lived in Second Ward, I've seen a good number of improvements and renovations to homes taking place in the area, especially accelerating this past year. For example, our 100 year old house was once the only restored home on the block. Now two others have been restored this year alone. Many would be west side inner loop renters who are rapidly being priced out, have been moving into this area too. EaDo, Eastwood and Idylwood can hardly be called distressed with homes ranging from $250k-$500k. Fact is, the cancellation of the Harrisburg Freeway did help the East End to revitalize, if not decades later. If built, it would have destroyed the community, cutting it in half, making it undesirable and most definitely making it even more "blighted" and "distressed" than you claim it to already be.

If you look at the Google aerial view of the interchange, you'll see that you really can't "demolish most of the stack" because it will become impossible for local traffic to make connections due to the minimal frontage roads at the interchange. For example, on southbound 610 there is no frontage road, so there would be no way to connect into the area. Also, going eastbound on 225 from Lawndale, there would be no way to connect to northbound 610. Same is true for eastbound 610 to westbound 225 - there is no way to connect with frontage roads, so that ramp is needed. Only one connection, EB 225 to WB 610 can be made on frontage roads.

The ramps are surely be a big convenience to nearby businesses and residents, making it much easier to get on and off the freeway. Take them away and you could be subjecting those folks to a big daily hassle.

Demolition also costs money and disrupts traffic. You might as well leave it alone as long as there is no negative impact.

That being said, I expect the ramps connecting to the stub to eventually be removed when they reach the end of their usable life. That may be in the not-too-distant future (maybe 15-30 years). When the entire interchange is rebuilt, I would expect the frontage roads of both freeways to be brought through the interchange, providing connections to the stub frontage roads.

The idea of creating a design on 610 similar to the design between Interstate 10 West and US 290 (Northwest Freeway) is an interesting idea. I don't know if traffic counts can justify it, and it would require a big right-of-way clearance. SH 225 was studied for future improvements a few years ago, and the recommended improvements were minimal. So I don't see a project of that scope in the future.

As for Dexter Jones, I interviewed him for the Houston Freeways book and he also supplied some photos for the book (on topics other than SH 225). I think the cancellation of SH 225 was the biggest disappointment of his career since he was heavily involved in that project. As others have noted, lack of funding probably was the biggest reason for the cancellation. But as I note in the book I think it would have remained alive and dormant in the 1970s (and possibly moved forward eventually) if there was no community opposition and there was instead strong support from the City of Houston and business interests. But the support was not there.

And the final irony is that the opposition thought the freeway cancellation would revitalize the area. Well, that certainly did not happen - the area is still blighted and distressed, maybe worse than ever. No renaissance at all.  But who knows, with the light rail and expanding urban revitalization, the area may actually start improving some day.

Blighted, maybe more gritty...distressed, that's a little over the top...worse than ever, whatever. The area is already improving. In the last five years that I've lived in Second Ward, I've seen a good number of improvements and renovations to homes taking place in the area, especially accelerating this past year. For example, our 100 year old house was once the only restored home on the block. Now two others have been restored this year alone. Many would be west side inner loop renters who are rapidly being priced out, have been moving into this area too. EaDo, Eastwood and Idylwood can hardly be called distressed with homes ranging from $250k-$500k. Fact is, the cancellation of the Harrisburg Freeway did help the East End to revitalize, if not decades later. If built, it would have destroyed the community, cutting it in half, making it undesirable and most definitely making it even more "blighted" and "distressed" than you claim it to already be.

Intercity's point is spot on.

I would agree that the East end is far from blighted. If you want to see blight, I'd look in some areas of Denver Harbor, Sunnysdie, or 3rd ward west of UH. Now there is some real blight. 

The east end is 'gritty', lower on the socioeconomic ladder, and has lacked development for all these years. Not sending 225 through the neighborhood didn't set off a Renaissance..... but what freeway cancellation has EVER set off some sort of neighborhood revitalization. Maybe a freeway removal, but I can't think of any neighborhood that ignited right after a freeway was canceled. Remember, most urban freeways were (are) planned in majority minority neighborhoods that tend to be lower on the economic ladder anyway. 

I would argue that the fact that the east end's proximity to the ship channel, a refinery, chemical plants, and rail yards is the real reason it never took off in the same way as say, midtown. Now that economics are right, those factors are not seen as much of a hindrance.

Intercity is right and I agree that had 225 been routed to downtown, we wouldn't see any of this development in the east end. It would have surely become blighted and probably would have stayed that way. No one wants to live close to a freeway (or multiple ones for that matter), a chemical plant / refinery, the ship channel, and a rail yard unless they absolutely have to and have no other option. 

Case in point: the neighborhood of Manchester. That place has no chance of ever succeeding. The COH and industry would do all those residents a favor by buying them out. Even w/ increased EPA required monitoring for carcinogenic hydrocarbons, the particulate matter in the air alone is going to give everyone increased rates of asthma and most likely cancer. And that's already after a lot of local emissions have been reduced over the last 10 years.

The Eastside is far from blighted and certainly not worse than ever. Stick to what you know...

Ok, now. I don't think MaxC was trying to offend. Play nice.

Harrisburg/East End is way too close to refineries, rail yards, the shipyard, and others. The unfortunate thing is, I can't see it any better unless all the old residents get priced out by Inner Loop refugees looking for cheaper housing and rail access, and the old Harrisburg as you and I know it is essentially destroyed either way.

I drive by this area almost every day due to work. 

This whole 45 / 610 / 225 confluence needs a major overhaul. It should really be looked at as one big interchange and not two separate one. I know that originally 225 was supposed to go all the way downtown, but now that it's not the traffic can get really bad during the week. I'm surprised frankly that more wrecks and chemical spills don't happen here.

There needs to be I45 to 225 direct connectors. It should resemble how the 290/610 interchange will allow for direct I10 to 290 access. 

After (or in concurrence with) the direct connectors, the exit for 45 north for the 610 southbound traffic should be moved back (farther north and b/f the 225 interchange) so as the traffic from 225 getting onto 610 isn't fighting the exiting traffic of 610.

I've included a map of the area for those not familiar:

100% agree. I would say the entire I-45 @ 610 interchange needs to be dozed and rebuilt. I drive this often to get to every terminal from City Dock 43 down to Odfjell. The only reason I do drive on 610 is to connect to 225. The merging is a nightmare, and always creates a bottleneck and it's scary with the 18-wheelers and the half broken down pick up trucks who probably don't have a DL.

Harrisburg/East End is way too close to refineries, rail yards, the shipyard, and others. The unfortunate thing is, I can't see it any better unless all the old residents get priced out by Inner Loop refugees looking for cheaper housing and rail access, and the old Harrisburg as you and I know it is essentially destroyed either way.

I like that old Harrisburg has always been ignored, left alone in it's sleepy, suspended state. As a self-professed historian, can't say I'm thrilled about the attention. I'm sure the freeway interchanges need improvement for flow, though. Milby High School has been torn apart this week, to be revitalized. The plans include keeping the original 1920's main bldg. with facade. Also, I heard that the nice 60's designed bank at Lawndale/ Broadway was bulldozed. What a loss. it was beautiful.

I like that old Harrisburg has always been ignored, left alone in it's sleepy, suspended state. As a self-professed historian, can't say I'm thrilled about the attention. I'm sure the freeway interchanges need improvement for flow, though. Milby High School has been torn apart this week, to be revitalized. The plans include keeping the original 1920's main bldg. with facade. Also, I heard that the nice 60's designed bank at Lawndale/ Broadway was bulldozed. What a loss. it was beautiful.

I had not heard about the bank!  I'll have to drive over that direction tomorrow. 

And, interesting to see that the end of 225 as shown on the map has already been named John R. Harris Park.  I haven't been over there since Memorial Day but I didn't notice any "park like" improvements then. 

The Eastside is far from blighted and certainly not worse than ever. Stick to what you know...

I drive through all areas of Houston (including backstreets) at least once a year to check it out the areas and see what is happening. But now that I think about it, it has been more than a year for a complete review of that area (although I have checked out the area with the light rail construction zones.) On my latest complete survey I don't recall seeing much of anything in terms of new construction, renovation, expanding businesses, attractive properties or much of interest along the Harrisburg corridor.

And I can claim to be qualified to assess an area as distressed or dumpy because I live in one of the biggest dumps in all of Houston - Sharpstown! (Born and raised, SHS 85).

A couple of years ago I drove Harrisburg Avenue one Saturday morning just because. What I noticed was the commercial buildings generally were not "spiffy." There was the occasional newer CVS or DollarTree but most were run down. That was some contrast to the amount of vehicle and PEDESTRIAN traffic that I saw. The place was crawling with people going about the usual errands.

Yes, the old bank is gone.  The entire block is reduced to dirt.  Construction trailers and some equipment are on site.  Apparently the new owner is aware of preservation minded folks because they've installed large banners on the chain linked fences with an attempt to explain their actions.  The signs said something about ...........sometimes in order to serve you better, we have to use a hammer.........

They tore down a bank to build another bank.  Frost Bank this time.

And the green space at the end of 225, there is nothing to indicate a park is planned for that location, no signs or anything.

Yes, the old bank is gone. The entire block is reduced to dirt. Construction trailers and some equipment are on site. Apparently the new owner is aware of preservation minded folks because they've installed large banners on the chain linked fences with an attempt to explain their actions. The signs said something about ...........sometimes in order to serve you better, we have to use a hammer.........

They tore down a bank to build another bank. Frost Bank this time.

And the green space at the end of 225, there is nothing to indicate a park is planned for that location, no signs or anything.

Thanks for checking on that. So typical for this city. It's a shame. No respect for good past architects. There may be just a few examples of that particular bank - modern style left in Houston. One is near the Astrodome/ Reliant Stadium., another in SW Houston.

I wasn't familiar with this particular bank so went to google maps to take a look. Really hate to hear that they took this one down. It will be interesting to see what they put up in its place because this was a very nice building in my opinion. u5yde6up.jpgaby4y6up.jpg

In reference to the last post and pics - It's original name was Harrisburg National Bank. The original structure is seen on the left, in the bottom photo. It was a popular style at the time. 1007 Broadway Blvd. 1964/ George Pierce - Abel B. Pierce, arch. (Houston - An Architectural Guide, Houston Chapter, AIA,1972).

I drive through all areas of Houston (including backstreets) at least once a year to check it out the areas and see what is happening. But now that I think about it, it has been more than a year for a complete review of that area (although I have checked out the area with the light rail construction zones.) On my latest complete survey I don't recall seeing much of anything in terms of new construction, renovation, expanding businesses, attractive properties or much of interest along the Harrisburg corridor.

And I can claim to be qualified to assess an area as distressed or dumpy because I live in one of the biggest dumps in all of Houston - Sharpstown! (Born and raised, SHS 85).

Close in, in the self titled area of eado, you'd have to not be looking to see all the changes there, but that's been happening no so subtly for nigh on a decade, so it shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

Just a bit farther out in the east end around eastwood, there are a lot of the changes you can't see because they are hard to notice, you'd really have to be here all the time to notice the changes. 2 or 3 houses in a neighborhood getting completely gutted, rebuilt and landscaped. If you drive through the area once every year or so, you won't notice it, these houses will blend in, but living here it is very noticeable.

Right at the moment it's subtle and hard to notice, so you can be forgiven for not seeing it, and yeah, there's taco trucks in landromat parking lots, random basket carts from fiesta strewn all over, dirt and grime on the buildings, so it kind of overpowers the things you may notice, a random set of 3 townhomes in an area that they've never been before, less chickens (I really will miss it when all the chickens are gone), a lot more hipsters doing hipster things etc.

Farther out into the east end, closer to the ship channel, I don't really venture out into this part too often, and that's probably what you're thinking about when you say you haven't seen change. Places like Denver Harbor, or Magnolia Park, will that ever be able to change? Maybe I should get on my bicycle and just ride around those areas and see how things look and maybe end up changing.

Anyway, this is a bit afield of the point. To circle back around, it may not have revitalized the area by not building 225 from 610 to 59 as was planned, but it allowed a community (no matter how distressed and dumpy it may look) to remain intact and not end up more dumpy and distressed. I believe the downturn in the economy plus the absolute that a freeway was about to come split some things up would have sent the area down a bit more of a spiral than it took from the economic downturn on its own.

Archived