Sunset Heights Information & Developments

Guest danax

I attended the bi-weekly City of Houston Planning Commission public hearing today, along with other Pecan Park Civic Association board members, in order to address another petition for replat in our area. We weren't objecting to the replat itself, just that they want to rename the newly-created 2 lots "Garza Subdivision" :wacko:

Anyway, the first item on the agenda was a petition to establish prevailing lot sizes in 210 lots of Sunset Heights. This apparently was the largest application, lot-wise, that the Commission has had to deal with as they were confused as to what to do. The applicant was allowed 3 minutes to speak but ended up taking 35, to give his appeal. He explained how Sunset Heights was originally established as a working class sector of the City of the Heights in 1920, as the master plan was to include all income levels. He showed pictures of darling bungalows and spoke glowingly of how residents were rediscovering the neighborhood and renovating the small homes, and that Sunset Heights was "under siege" by townhouse developers who are starting to turn one 6000 sq. ft. lot into 4 or 5 townhome lots.

Next, the opposition spoke, who consisted of several residents who voiced anger at the possiblity of being told what to do with their land and also mentioned that the houses were obsolete, many were falling down, and the new development represented a fresh start for a neighborhood that needs one. Interesting that all of the opposers that I heard owned at least 3 or 4 parcels, the leader had 20 or so. An hour and a half later, still hearing the opposition, I ended up having to drive one of the other members home so I missed the conclusion, if there was one.

No big story here, I just wanted to report my witnessing a somewhat emotional, classic Houston battle between those who romanticize the past a bit and who value the classic neighborhood feel to those who look at old houses as..... old houses, and land value increases and density/teardowns as good. It could be said that both sides are self-interested just in different ways.

Good Afternoon,

hope your day goes well !

Thank you for the update and feedback !

Concerning the Houston battle between those who romanticize the past a bit and who value the classic neighborhood feel to those who look at old houses as..... old houses, and land value increases and density/teardowns as good.

Which opinions are considered as being valuable to the Heights neighborhood in terms of

the future ?

I am assuming if newer homes are being built then so will the taxes continue to rise ?

And if the older homes are being revitalize also will the taxes rise ???

What does the HHA have to say or predict is best for the neighborhood ?

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is interested, the planning commission rejected the proposal to keep prevailing lot sizes at 6000sf even though the applicant had signatures from 117 out of the 210 lot owners. Myself, I'm neutral on this, with millions expected to call Houston home in the coming decades, some parts of the city are just going to have to get more dense unless we are all prepared to have no green space whatsoever from Conroe to Galveston.

City commission rejects proposal

I'm sure the Heights Association demagogues will probably torch my home for saying this, but I am GLAD the ordinance got tossed. The original intent of the ordinance was to protect the bungalows and charm of the Heights. All it did was restrict building to monster homes, since that was all that would support the high lot prices.

These massive homes do no more to protect the integrity of the Heights than the townhomes did to ruin it. Frankly, I like the New Orleans look of the Victorian row houses MUCH better than the gargantuan palaces that replace the bungalows. But, regardless, all of this is opinion as to what looks better, big homes or row houses. Mine does not outweigh theirs, and vice-versa.

One thing that would help in both camps would be to restrict these buildings with building setback ordinances. The townhomes often look bad when they share a wall. The row houses tend to look better when there is separation. A setback on the side lot line would banish the attached townhomes, while allowing the row houses.

My 2 cents.

Garza Subdivision

And the residents will have Garza stickers on their cars in gothic letters.

:lol: This could start a trend, then gang wars over turf.

And the Planning Commission said they couldn't stop them from changing the name, although they still have to abide by the original subdivision's deed restrictions.

I agree with Red's opinion above. The only way they could really keep the bungalows would be to have deed restrictions that address specific home sizes and architectural features, or, become a designated historic district. Perhaps that's next although the leader might have burnt his chance with the residents with this one, and the 2 previous attempts.

• 7 months later...

I'm new to the forum and to the Heights. We're buying a house in Sunset Heights and are planning to remodel. The house was a duplex which we are planning to return it to a single family house. We will have to reconfigure the room designs somewhat, and are planning to do most of the work ourselves. Would it be better to hire an architect to draw some plans? What about permits? We will hire licensed electricians and plumbers for that type of work and I know that they can handle the permits for those areas. We want to keep this beautiful little bungalow alive, just give her a little plastic surgery. :) This is new for us, and I feel a little like I'm about to step off of a cliff. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Welcome. iluvbungalows. I applaud your return of the duplex to single family. I have an old house and mine too was once a duplex and I'm going even further by returning it to it's original Victorian configuration which was a 2/1 with parlor instead of the 3/2 that it is now.

I'm not sure what an architect can help you with unless you're planning on altering the structural components or aren't sure as to what would be the best floorplan. I would recommend taking your time if your not sure about what you want, and even if you think you are. It took me a few years of living here to finally figure out what I wanted to do and, several years later, I haven't changed my mind. I'm glad I didn't do what I initially decided to do. I had to adjust my living to a more simple lifestyle in order to decide that I could live with and really actually enjoy a 1908 floorplan. I was planning on removing the 1926 kitchen remodel with glass cabinets and wooden drainboard and convert it into a master bath :o . It doesn't sound though that you're as ignorant going in as I was.

I really wouldn't stress one bit about all of the work ahead of you. It will all work out even though the unexpected costs, projects, and delays are inevitable. I would recommend working from the roof and foundation first and then the rest. Living amid clutter is the one thing I do get tired off somewhat though.

Welcome, iluvbungalows. I agree completely with danax. I bought a 1920 bungalow two years ago. I just started remodeling 6 months ago. During the first 2 years, I went through all of the possibilities, including add-ons, renovations and restoration. Luckily, I only thought about it instead of doing it, as my final decision bears little resemblance to the initial ones.

I am renovating the bathroom and kitchen back to a 1920s look, with some moderate upgrades, and adding air conditioning. That's it. I have found that to try to renovate an old house to 2006 "standards is incredibly expensive, and it will always have drawbacks. Better to appreciate the house for what it is than to try to make it conform to something it is not, and never will be.

Since the garage is completely eaten up with termites, it will be replaced with a 2 story hurricane proof garage, with a full bath and small kitchen. If I decide to get fancy, it will be done there. This way, the house stays original, and I don't overspend trying to make it too up to date.

An architect is not really necessary, if you are not building add-ons. However, a designer familiar with bungalows can provide some good ideas. Remember, any expert tends to take pride in how much he or she knows. This can often translate into expensive remodels. If you take your time and not be shy about looking at what your neighbors have done (they love to show off their work), as well as hang out at home centers and bookstores, you'll come up with something that you are comfortable with.

Above all, be honest with yourself. While danax and I enjoy living in simple, relatively gadget-free homes, some people feel deprived doing so. If you are one of these people, research the best way to do it. One of my few demands is a shower. After many months of a measuring tape growing from my hand, and wearing out the internet, I have figured out how to put a shower and bath into a 7x9 foot bathroom, and retain a 1920s look.

Good luck.

PS - If you will be moving walls, hire an architect or other expert to determine which walls are load-bearing, and how to overcome that. Money well spent.

I'm new to the forum and to the Heights. We're buying a house in Sunset Heights and are planning to remodel. The house was a duplex which we are planning to return it to a single family house. We will have to reconfigure the room designs somewhat, and are planning to do most of the work ourselves. Would it be better to hire an architect to draw some plans? What about permits? We will hire licensed electricians and plumbers for that type of work and I know that they can handle the permits for those areas. We want to keep this beautiful little bungalow alive, just give her a little plastic surgery. :) This is new for us, and I feel a little like I'm about to step off of a cliff. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

If at all possible, take your time - months if necessary - to get some emotional distance between the "high" you'll get at closing and the costly decisions you will make as you work on your renovation.

As one who is living in a l930's bungalow while renovating it, I can tell you firsthand that it's a lot easier to change your mind while planning things on paper than it is to live with poorly thought-out alterations. Quite often, you'll be surprised that your "new" old house seems to communicate its needs and possibilities to you as you get to know one another. I laughed when I first heard that, but it's true! Right now, I'm trying to finalize plans for the kitchen but the house hasn't "told" me what to do about storage in the breakfast nook! I did talk with a kitchen designer but she wanted to sell me a whole "package" deal - granite, stainless, etc. - which isn't what I want.

The Old House Journal website has an excellent forum for us old-house dwellers; lots of suggestions, ideas, encouragement.

Good luck! Have fun! And be prepared for remarks from family and friends who think you're crazy for taking on this adventure instead of buying a new place in suburbia.

I"d have to agree with all of the above. Don't rush into any project. You need time in the house to determine what you need to modernize. One thing I noticed was that more plugs were needed. The bathroom didn't have any. The kitchen counter only had one and the bedrooms didn't haven't them where i needed them. Then you'll realize that your closets are too few in number and the space that is there is poorly designed.

If you're doing the work yourself, I would recommend starting with the rooms that you'll care about the least. For me it was the bedrooms. there is definitely a learning curve with each project and by the time you get to the important rooms, like the living room, kitchen, bathroom, you will be a professional at each task.

After you move in you'll realize which projects are critical. For me having a secure foundation was important because I knew i was going to do sheetrock work. I had a drainage project that was coupled to the foundation work so I had 2 major projects that needed to be addressed and I hadn't even started on the inside yet. But these had to be done prior to sheetrock work otherwise that could crack.

I've owned mine almost 5 yrs and am done with everything EXCEPT the kitchen. I've developed a couple of plans but I still dont know what i what i want exactly. My cabinet space is poorly designed, especially under the counters. Luckily i have a useful sized pantry.

I was just talking to one of my neighbors who is doing major remodeling, but with NO PLAN. She's had sheetrock done TWICE because she didn't do things in the right order.

PLAN PLAN PLAN

good luck!

Think about your mechanicals and get your mechanicals done right the first time. As long as your opening up some walls and looking at redoing systems, you might as well think about these things. I can't stress that enough.

Think about plumbing, electrical, data, and hvac.

This is the stuff a lot of design-centered people don't like to think about, but you'll be most pleased if you pay attention to them.

I believe that there are some heating/cooling companies that are better at this stuff than others. Same goes for electrical and data (if you are so inclined). I've been most pleased with Central City for hvac and I am regretting that they didn't do my house. They seem to have creative solutions and pay attention to our climate. Check out a few people before you make your decisions.

I just received a catalog today that might also help you. Their website is www.rejuvenation.com. The lighting fixtures, etc. might help in your project.

I ordered 2 sconces and i ceiling fixture from them and always get compliments when people see them.

• 2 months later...

This was sent in an email to me from a Heights resident. I thought some of you HAIFers might be interested...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email:

A developer has found what we call the "condo loophole." Neighborhoods covered by prevailing lots size means that lots cannot be subdivided into tiny parcels for townhomes. BUT In Sunset Heights, a developer is attempting to build four condos as opposed to town homes because a condo owner does not own the land, the property is not subdivided.

If you have not yet read the Chronicle article below PLEASE READ IT. It explains how a dedicated group of volunteers drafted some very good, workable ordinances that were STOPPED from going forward by the builder/developer lobby.

Please write/email the Mayor and protest that three people have effectively prevented the city council from them even SEEING the recommendations. Tell them that, in a democracy, the ELECTED representatives should be the ones to decide if the proposed changes are appropriate. Ask them to review the recommendations themselves and THEN decide.

Why should three developers on a subcommittee of an unelected commission decide for the rest of Houston what will and won't happen?

Mayor Bill White

City of Houston

P.O. Box 1562

Houston, TX 77251

PHONE: 713.247.2200

mayor@cityofhouston .net <mailto:mayor@ cityofhouston. net>

This past Saturday, Planning Commission Chair Carol Lewis was quoted

• 1 year later...

I've seen a few of these on HAR lately, and I was wondering what everyone here's thoughts on them are. They seem to be decent. I believe they were built by Perry Homes. I don't know too much about them. Although i'd much rather buy a bungalow, i'm looking for cheaper alternative so I can move to the heights area sooner ( i freaking hate my commute from Kingwood).

So i want to here as much negative stuff as you can dig up about this place = ]

Thanks,

Curt

There was a thread recently about a particular unit and how it's price had dropped way, way down. General consensus seemed to be that the townhouses are decently built, just decidedly uninspired. They don't really fit into their neighborhood either which is still in the beginnings of "transition" upheaval. I think it would be a decent place to live if you accept that you're not going to get much appreciation on it for years to come. For a similar price range, I think I'd be looking for a house in Oak Forest or neighboring areas.

Yeah, it is really important to me to be able to walk to 11th and Studewood. I have been thinking about Oak Forest, but the neighborhood just isn't quite living enough for me. I know redwing is kinda off kilter for the heights, but it is in the middle of everything i like. I'm still in the mindset "save a bungalow" but am still considering all options. Any other suggestions of nearby places that are less expensive.

The condos on White Oak, are they okay? I think they are in a flood plain???

Yeah, it is really important to me to be able to walk to 11th and Studewood. I have been thinking about Oak Forest, but the neighborhood just isn't quite living enough for me. I know redwing is kinda off kilter for the heights, but it is in the middle of everything i like. I'm still in the mindset "save a bungalow" but am still considering all options. Any other suggestions of nearby places that are less expensive.

The condos on White Oak, are they okay? I think they are in a flood plain???

The area around Redwing place is pretty quiet. I live in that area and would recommend it. The bungalows in Brooke Smith are going to be cheaper than west of North Main which is Woodland Heights and Houston Heights. Brooke Smith is the area behind Redwing place. Brooke Smith is heavily Hispanic so if that doesn't bother you then I would say go for it plus being Hispanic myself I say there's nothing to be concerned about in living there. Some of the neighbors may not speak English but that doesn't mean they are a threat to civilization.

The properties in Brooke Smith are on average considerably cheaper than Woodland Heights and Houston Heights but will eventually come closer in value.

anybody know about those condos on White Oak. The grounds are awefully nice, i went and looked at a unit and it seemed to be pretty good. I'm wondering if anyone knows of inherent problems that they may have? This would definitely be the cheapest option for me. Thoughts?

anybody know about those condos on White Oak. The grounds are awefully nice, i went and looked at a unit and it seemed to be pretty good. I'm wondering if anyone knows of inherent problems that they may have? This would definitely be the cheapest option for me. Thoughts?

I think the only serious potential problem is flooding during an event like Allison, but that should be a rare "once in a lifetime" event. A second floor unit may be a good idea. That is a very nice area to live in. Very walkable and bikable.

Those condos are in a flood zone. You can type in the address here to see for yourself: http://maps2.tsarp.org/tsarp/

Otherwise, if you can handle living in a condo and since the prices are well below average for the area then that may be the way to go. I noticed 2 of the units have pending and option pending so you may need to move quickly. I'm sure other people have the same idea as you in terms of moving into town.

• 1 month later...

We're getting the house ready to put on the market in the next couple of weeks. We have a toddler now and it's just getting too hard to keep doing renovation projects with a little one running around and getting into everything.

Hopefully the market will stay busy in the near town area and we'll sell quickly. Wish us luck--we need it!

http://www.zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?zprop=27784545

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

'Morning everyone

In the past few months the city has done a pretty decent job of repaving the N/S streets in my area (Cortlandt & 23rd, 24th - Sunset Heights). [[Let's ignore the drainage problems here for a second]] Then, all of a sudden, yesterday a crew shows up and starts ripping up the corner curbs on all the intersections! They had made these nice new ramps with red brick. Today, jackhammers and crews removing a ~10' section at every corner!

Anybody know what's up?

I drove home via Cortlandt yesterday. The one at 25th looks complete (it's not taped off anymore), and they put something of a retaining wall there to handle the grade change. Perhaps that was an issue that wasn't addressed the first time around. I didn't really notice the "before", but the "after" looks pretty well done.

'Morning everyone

In the past few months the city has done a pretty decent job of repaving the N/S streets in my area (Cortlandt & 23rd, 24th - Sunset Heights). [[Let's ignore the drainage problems here for a second]] Then, all of a sudden, yesterday a crew shows up and starts ripping up the corner curbs on all the intersections! They had made these nice new ramps with red brick. Today, jackhammers and crews removing a ~10' section at every corner!

Anybody know what's up?

City Planning hard at work?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Does anyone know what goes on around 5th and Heights about once a month that involves lots of fancy cars parked along the east side of Heights between 4th and 5th? Many of them have personalized license plates that are similar. They were there today. In the past, I've seen them double-parked in the bike lane.

Is the big house on the southeast corner still ReMax? Maybe they have real estate meetings or something.

Does anyone know what goes on around 5th and Heights about once a month that involves lots of fancy cars parked along the east side of Heights between 4th and 5th? Many of them have personalized license plates that are similar. They were there today. In the past, I've seen them double-parked in the bike lane.

Is the big house on the southeast corner still ReMax? Maybe they have real estate meetings or something.

I see them a lot. They often park in the no parking zones and block the bike lane. From the gauche-ness of the house and cars I think they must have won the powerball.

I see them a lot. They often park in the no parking zones and block the bike lane. From the gauche-ness of the house and cars I think they must have won the powerball.

I would say the occasional fancy car in the bike lane is not nearly as gauche-like as the nearly constant flow of arrogant bike riders ignoring the traffic laws down heights....

Archived