Former Fast Food Locations in Texas

IronTiger

OK...this is in the Offtopic section because it doesn't involve EXCLUSIVELY Houston, but one of my newest ideas (well, I actually wrote part of this a long time ago but it never got off the ground) is compiling a list of former McDonald's (not demolished/rebuilt, actually closed, or at least moved) in Texas.

Inspired off of a similar Michigan attempt, my list tends to focus in College Station or Houston. This includes old Wal-Mart locations (I got the old Auchan) or mall locations (I got the Baybrook Sears too) or in any university (lost on that one). While there are a few real McDonald's that outright close (like the example on Main), most are leased and tucked away in gas stations and others. 

Right now, it has a few locations but is an incredibly simple HTML that will load on the slowest of connections, but I hope to make it prettier soon.

http://carbon-izer.s3.amazonaws.com/projects/former/fff.html

Do you have any locations in Texas that I'm missing?

From the 1976 directory for Houston six of the seventeen listed McDonalds are gone now:

6610 Harwin Dr.: must have been somewhere in this office complex?

7702 N. Shepherd: McDonalds sold in 1994, currently looks vacant, remodeled as a veterinary clinic - sign post still there (this is the one mentioned above)

6333 Martin Luther King Blvd.: McDonalds sold in 1991, currently gas station (remodeled)

1022 Wirt Rd.: must have been somewhere in this strip center? Currently owned by Weingarten

1842 Wirt Rd.: McDonalds sold in 1991 - currently a car lot but building remains

407 W Southmore Ave. (Pasadena): McDonalds sold in 2004, likely demolished at that time

• Like 1

From the 1976 directory for Houston six of the seventeen listed McDonalds are gone now:

6333 Martin Luther King Blvd.: McDonalds sold in 1991, currently gas station (remodeled)

I think the one on MLK was the first black owned McDonald's franchise in Houston. I recall the owner of the franchise died a few years back and that was mentioned in his obituary.

7702 N. Shepherd was vacant for almost 20 years, with just the building standing, no windows, no interior. Garza Veterinary Clinic completely restored the building two years ago and opened for business.

A little further south on N. Shepherd @ Tidwell, not sure on the address, you have yet another old McDonald's that had been there since the old Shepherd Drive In Theater was still open for business. It closed in either 1999 or 2000, moved to the new building and location of 45 @ Rosamond, and the Shepherd location became an endlessly name changing strip club. I think its current name is "The Iron Horse". I kid you not, that strip club has changed names at least twice for every year it has been opened.

• Like 1

Hey thanks, man. That's cool. I need to correct myself though. It's "The Crazy Horse". I must've put your screen name and it together for some odd reason, lol. An unfortunate side effect of aging, I'm afraid. Sorry Tiger, about having to update again. :(

A couple to add for your Taco Bell locations. Corner of Airline & Parker, now a title/cash loan swindle...er, company. Not sure on the address, but it's in the parking lot of Kroger, across from Walgreen's.

Second one is 7473 North Shepherd Drive. Closed as Taco Bell in 2000 (?), now Josie's Place Soul Food. Corner street is West Little York, catty corner from the old Trader's Fair/Kmart building they recently tore down.

Next, is the corner of Mangum and Dacoma Roads which now has a Subway on it, across from Delmar Stadium. This is a converted Taco Bell, which can easily be told by the building's shape. We hit this Taco Bell religiously during my high school years, lol.

Down North Shepherd, next door to St. Pius X's football field, you will find a Church's Chicken, with an empty padsite next to it. Just a foundation, nothing else. This, too, was a Taco Bell when I was in high school. Not sure when it closed either, but it was an old style one with the bell that used to hang from the middle of the building.

Now, if you want to see an old vintage Taco Bell (version 1.0), like which used to stand next to St. Pius, there is an old building on West 43rd still standing, just west of Rosslyn on the south side of the street. This one was old when it closed, and that was somewhere around the early 90s, maybe late 80s.

• Like 1

Hey thanks, man. That's cool. I need to correct myself though. It's "The Crazy Horse". I must've put your screen name and it together for some odd reason, lol. An unfortunate side effect of aging, I'm afraid. Sorry Tiger, about having to update again. :(

One more for the update list again...thanks for the old Taco Bell locations...I'm going to work on a batch before uploading the new ones.

Btw, I'm down in that area frequently, IronTiger. If you want some pictures of these sites, I'm glad to snap some shots when I am near them and send them to you.

Why don't you shoot me a PM, bud? I could provide quite a lot of help to you as I know of 2 different closed down Sonics on Airline alone, a Wendy's on Crosstimbers, a Burger King on Veterans Memorial and Spears I mean, geez, it'd take up a page of the HAIF, lol. I won't subject our fellow HAIFers to all of that. :D

For Galveston.

Sorry for not having the exact year for when the restaurants below closed. I remember going to most of these listed, but I was a young child at the time.

Sonic - 2927 Broadway St. - Closed sometime in the mid/late 2000's and is now Community Loans of America. The building still stands.

Dairy Queen - 2528 Broadway St. - Closed in the 2000's, now a seafood restaurant. The building housed a number of other restaurants as well, they all had a short life span.

Burger King - 5625 Broadway St. - Apparently there was one at this location. No idea when it closed but an O'Reilly Auto Shop was built sometime in the 2000's and still sits there today. A new Burger King opened in May 2014, just down the street.

Burger King - 2808 61st St. - Closed in the 90's, a small strip center sits on the site now. Here's a pic of the Burger King:

9d260030a09a45fcb66ca2a4dfaa892c.jpg

Long John Silvers - 2806 61st St. - Closed in the mid 2000's. The same building stands, now Little Caesars Pizza.

Luby's - 6125 Central City Blvd. - Closed in 2009, now Healthy Chinese Buffet.

• Like 2

There was a Checkers on the corner of Kuykendahl @ FM 1960.

Former Dairy Queen at 18135 Kuykendahl in Spring, which was turned into a used car dealership and now a trailer dealership I think. It's next to the still standing Burger King. Closed down... 2001ish?

More from 1976 Houston area - Taco Bell, Wendy's, Dairy Queen, and TGI Fridays (KFC and Burger King are up next but more extensive)

Taco Bell (of the 6 listed, only one still is a Taco Bell)

1803 W 43rd St. (#1010, sold 1996, currently a Prudential Office)

9066 Long Point Rd. (#957, sold 1987, currently Auto Concepts)

5210 Bissonnet St. (#142, sold 1994, currently Roadster Grill)

6523 Westheimer Rd. (#238, demolished? currently strip mall)

330 S 69th St. (#313 - not sure about this one, can't really figure out where this should be unless it's actually Wayside Dr.)

Wendy's (of the 6 listed, 4 are still Wendy's)

2231 S. Voss Rd. (currently Mancuso's Italian Table, property once owned by Leroy Melcher)

2300 Westheimer Rd. (currently 60 Degrees, extensively remodeled)

Dairy Queen (of the 23 listed, 9 are still Dairy Queen)

6031 Airline Dr. (currently Pan-American OB/GYN)

8394 Bellaire Blvd. (unknown)

7215 Bellfort St. (currently El Compita Tire Shop)

8430 Boone Rd. (currently Serrano's Events)

10516 Eastex Freeway (demolished?)

6649 Harrisburg Blvd. (remodeled?)

9155 Irvington Blvd. (currently Abiding Love Baptist Church)

5590 North Freeway (possibly current Frenchy's)

8808 Panair St. (currently vacant, was Dairy Queen training and commissary - for HOU I assume)

470 Parker (unknown) still standing - convenience store (credit to Purpledevil below)

6516 Westheimer Rd. (unknown)

1702 Yale St. (demolished?)

6919 Spencer Highway - Pasadena (current Jiffy Lube?)

1318 Ave H. - Rosenberg (current Flamingo Snow Cones?)

26904 I-45 - Spring (current Crow's Nest liquor store?)

TGI Fridays

5010 Richmond Ave.

• Like 1

KFC and Burger King were a little more difficult to map..

KFC (of the 31 listed, 5 are still KFC)

227 W 20th St.

1473 E 40th St.

4320 Almeda Rd. (currently Green Seed Vegan)

5322 Antoine Dr. (currently La Seafood and Wings)

8595 Beechnut St.

5945 Bellaire Blvd. (strip center?)

11570 Bellaire Blvd. (currently dental office)

10708 W Bellfort St. (currently auto garage; rebuilt 1980?)

4022 S Braeswood Blvd. (unknown - 3 Brothers Bakery?)

203 E Crosstimbers St. (demolished?)

10518 Eastex Freeway (unknown - next door to Dairy Queen above?)

841 Edgebrook Dr.

3330 Ella Blvd. (currently El Rey)

11200 Fuqua St. (demolished)

4410 W Fuqua St. (currently Shipley's Donuts)

7058 Lawndale St.

7800 Long Point Rd.

10085 Long Point Rd. (currently El Norteno)

5913 Lyons Ave. 

10565 S Post Oak Rd.

5320 N Shepherd Dr. (demolished - currently COH OEM)

7202 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. (currently vacant? formerly Timmy Chan's)

2502 University Blvd. (now Village Arcade?)

16608 El Camino Real (currently Colosseum Italian Restaurant)

3207 Spencer Highway - Pasadena (currently TitleMax, rebuilt 1986)

Burger King (of the 36 listed, 15 are still Burger King)

4001 Bellaire Blvd. (demolished)

5757 Bellaire Blvd. (demolished?)

7817 Bellfort St.

9605 Dyersdale Rd. (?)

1731 Federal Rd.

7007 Fondren Rd.

4905 Griggs Rd.

12606 Hillcroft St. (currently Greater Houston Tax Service)

4638 Irvington Blvd.

9970 Kleckley Dr. (currently vacant?)

5820 Lockwood Dr. (demolished - sign still there)

1801 Mangum Rd. (currently Pizza Inn)

14529 Memorial Dr. (demolished - currently Leibman's Wine and Fine Foods)

10601 S Post Oak Rd. (currently Cici's Pizza)

4401 Telephone Rd. (currently Texas Car Title and Pay Day Loan)

554 Town and Country Village

5913 Westheimer Rd. (demolished - currently Slick Willie's)

1626 Wheeler Ave.

13415 Wood Forest Blvd.

1211 Spencer Highway - South Houston (currently oil change place?)

• Like 1

More from 1976 Houston area - Taco Bell, Wendy's, Dairy Queen, and TGI Fridays (KFC and Burger King are up next but more extensive)

330 S 69th St. (#313 - not sure about this one, can't really figure out where this should be unless it's actually Wayside Dr.)

Another Taco Bell that's not on that list was near the Rice Village at 5801 Kirby between Robinhood and Tangley. It closed sometime in the late 80s or early 90s and is now a Starbucks. 

• Like 1

Sevfiv: S. 69th was not the current Wayside, it's actually the next street over, S/Sgt. Macario Garcia.

IronTiger: the KFC at 203 East Crosstimbers is the one I was telling you about, across from Northline Mall. Thank you, sevfiv! Couldn't find that address to save my life. The newer KFC is directly across Fulton from the original. 6301 Airline is the old DQ next to what was Doctors Hospital.

Anyone know the address for Pizza Inn on W. Dyna? It's got to be 170 something west Dyna, but can't find the tire shop that currently occupies the building for an address.

Edited by Purpledevil

DQ at 470 West Parker is still standing, but it has converted convenience store...well sorta. It still has the original interior, minus the seats and counter. The drive-thru window is still there, unused. This one is right down the street from our rent property. 1702 Yale, I think, is now the car wash.

Btw, don't see it listed, but the Asian Cafe on Yale @ West 22nd was a Long John Silver's for many years.

Also, Sevfiv has DQ listed at 5590 North Freeway which confirms what we were talking about in private. What now is Subway, was a Dairy Queen at one time. I just knew that it wasn't Mexican food, lol.

One more thing, 1803 West 43rd is the old style Taco Bell I was telling you about that had the bell on the facade, near the roof. Sevfiv, you rock. Some of these old locations I had a hard time with obtaining enough info for IronTiger's project.

Edited by Purpledevil

That last Taco Bell sat between S. 69th St. & Wayside Dr. It was in the same space as the Dunkin Donuts. I remember the look of it...original facade, mission style with the bell, like PurpleDevil describes. It had those metal chairs, jutting out from the connected table, like Whataburger. 

I didn't see it listed, but there was an old school Taco Bell at the SE corner of Fuqua and Sabo when I was a kid.  Based on Google Earth it looks like the building was demolished in 2006.  

Katty-corner from it was an old KFC, at the NW corner of Fuqua and Sabo.  Looks like that corner has been replaced by a Walgreens.

Of course there's the C&D Burger Shoppe at 10606 Fuqua.  I still remember getting push-up pops from the freezer at the front door when it was a Dairy Queen.  It's been C&D Burger Shoppe since 1981.

Continuing down Fuqua, at 10598 Fuqua is a Dominos that used to be a Jack-in-the-Box.  Right across the street from what used to be Beverly Hills Intermediate.  When I was at Beverly Hills, we always looked forward to hearing the words "three o' clock, Jack-in-the-Box", which meant that whatever heated discussion was going on at the time would be settled in the Jack-in-the-Box parking lot.  Saw many a fight there at 3 o'clock.

Only thing I see that's still standing along that stretch from when I was young is the Shipley's Donuts.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! Yeah, somehow I missed the Dairy Queen (C&D) at 10606 Fuqua.

There was also apparently a Pizza Hut in or near the old Kroger at 10904 Fuqua (now Goodwill and other stuff behind Bravos restaurant - which used to be Bonanza Sirloin Pit)

Here are the Jack in the Box listings (of 47 listed, 23 are still Jack in the Box)

4819 Almeda Rd. (remodeled but has the old school top kind of like this)

11602 Bellaire Blvd. (demo)

6901 Bellfort St. (vacant - old school top - talked about here on HAIF before)

5320 W Bellfort St. (AutoZone, but I took this picture a while back behind it - might be the old drive through window)

5131 Browncroft (?)

94 E Crosstimbers St. (demo)

10598 Fuqua St. (Domino Pizza mentioned above)

2727 Hillcroft St. (demo)

9602 Houston Dyersdale E Rd. (?)

1120 Jefferson St. (was in building?)

12310 Kingsride St. (?)

6103 Kirby Dr. (currently River Oaks Plant House)

4330 Lockwood Dr. (AutoZone)

8303 Long Point Rd. (old style - currently taqueria)

14504 Memorial Dr. (rebuilt - Burger King)

3402 OST (rebuilt - gas station)

7545 Park Place Blvd. (rebuilt - Texaco with Jack in the Box combined)

5602 Savoy Dr. (?)

9324 Stella Link Rd. (parking lot)

18003 El Camino Real (currently Daddio's)

3333 Red Bluff Rd. (currently car title loan place)

2213 Strawberry Rd. (old style - currently Burger and Shrimp Galley)

218 Spencer Highway (demo)

• Like 1

The Jack in the Box is gone on Crosstimbers? When did that happen? I guess I just never noticed. Taco Bell lives on on Crosstimbers, even tore down the old one and built brand new when the mall was demoed.

Edited by Purpledevil

Here's some more that will be of interest to you.

There was a Taco Bell at 610 and S.Main. It was torn down around 1999 or 2000 when S. Main was widened. There was a Burger King at 610 and MLK. It closed down prior to 2008. Its address was 5305 South Loop East. There was a Luby's on Buffalo Speedway between Westpark and Bissonnet. The HEB sits where it was. It closed in 05 or 06 since Google Maps Street View shows it boarded up by 2007. There was a McDonald's on Main between Ruth and Rosewood. It wasn't demolished for the light rail, but I believe it closed down shortly after the line opened.

Edited by JLWM8609

Jack-in-the-Box (now Taqueria) - W. Southmore & Miami (Pasadena)

Whataburger  @ 1819 Richey (now Auto Zone) guessing on this one. 

Whataburger  @  210 W.Southmore Ave (burned, now Popeyes, new bldg.) 

Der Weinerschneitzel @ 901 Southmore Ave. & Witter 

Burger Chef @ 2721 Richey (now strip club)

Burger Chef @ 3816 Reveille (burned) 

KFC (had bucket sign with Colonel Sanders face on it) @ 7209 S. Loop E. Frwy. (near Gulfgate, Brake Check now) 

Taco Bueno - Edgebrook & Clearwood (now First Service -bank?)

Note: these addresses are approximate, from GoogleEarth searches.

Edited by NenaE