Houston's directional freeways

If the rail line on Richmond ever happens, I'll do everything I can to petition people to have that rail line officially named the Culberson line.

That would be super sweet.

As to how far the name extends, it really depends on whether the name carries any recognition with it wherever you are. When I was out in LA a few years ago, I called i10 the katy freeway, people were all  :blink: and I was all  :blush:

1. I-45 

A. North Freeway- To DFW, Witchita Falls , Red River/OK Border

B. Gulf Freeway - To Galveston/Gulf of Mexico 

I-45 is named North Freeway because it runs directly to Witchita Falls and DFW as a northern trade route from the port and the gulf and named Gulf Freeway as a inland shipping trade route to the gulf aswell as a tourist/vacation route to Galveston thus why it is named the Gulf Freeway .

2. I-59/69 

A. EasTex Freeway - To Texarkana/East Texas

B. Southwest Freeway - To Brownsville,Corpus Christi,Kingsville/Mexico Border

I-59/69 was named EasTex Freeway because it runs northeast through the eastern portion of the state to the borders of Louisiana, Arkansas and Oklahoma where Texarkana is located . It is known as a Big Thicket interstate because of the heavy woodlands ,red dirt ,swamp and lake areas along the interstate . It is also named to connect the midwest to texas . It is named Southwest Freeway as a trade route coastal interstate to and fro Mexico Border via Corpus Christi , Brownsville, Kingsville .

3. I-10

A. I-10E- To Vidor/Louisiana Border

B. Katy Freeway - To Katy, San Antonio ,Ft. Stockton , El Paso 

I-10 Known as a major US southern region east/west artery, was named Katy Freeway because of the Missouri KansasTexas Railroad or MKT that ran west of Houston well before I-10 was established .Katy was a station stop along the line this how the city of Katy was named . The same as the cities of Santa Fe,TX and Frisco ,TX. Because the MKT followed I-10 west along the westbound feeder on the northside of the freeway is how the freeway earned its name. I-10 E runs to Vidor a eastern border town on the Texas/Louisiana border .

4. US288

A. Coastal Highway - To Freeport/Surfside, Victoria

Was supposed to be a freeway . It is a coastal highway that runs to the fishing , crab and shrimping towns of Freeport and Victoria and follows the coastline from Houston to the south/southwest .

5. US290 

A. Presidential Highway - To Austin 

B. Northwest Freeway

290 was nicknamed recently the Presidential Highway because of George Bush then governor and it runs northwest to Brenham and the capital Austin with a ramp leading to Bryan , Prairie View , Waco , Ft Worth . It is the governor's corridor and college route because of Texas A&M ,Baylor ,UT ,Prairie View. 

6. US90A 

A. Alternate - To Sugarland , Fort Bend , Stafford 

7. US249 

A. West Mount Houston - To Waco , Bryan , Austin , Prairie View

249 is known as the college route . Like 290 , it runs to Texas A&M , UT , Baylor , Prairie View A&M . This corridor has many college resident communities , towns , and neighborhoods along the route . Ends near Waco to the north/northwest .

The reason Houston has directional freeways aptly named is due to trade , imports/exports and history .

290 runs through a solid suburban voting block that is hardcore repulbican..... most of whom are republican b/c of the 'Reagan revolution'. Without Reagan, the suburban white voting block of the republican party may not exist.

That explains that. What then is the rational behind naming the US 59/I-69 - S. H. 288 interchange after Lloyd Bentsen? Perhaps it could be renamed the John Boehner/Harry Reid interchange since it is always so gridlocked.  <_<

BTW, my last remark was meant as a joke. Don't anyone get all up about it. I certainly do not blame only those two individuals for the difficulty congress is having these days. Perhaps I should have used this emoticon,  :)

Either way, roads are never named after politicians unless they're well-liked by the area/nation as a whole. 

you have never been to West Virginia, have you.

Everything in the state, except the state itself, is named the Robert C Byrd this, the Robert C Byrd that....

:)

i have no problems with things like the William J. Le Petomane Thruway 

you have never been to West Virginia, have you.

Everything in the state, except the state itself, is named the Robert C Byrd this, the Robert C Byrd that....

:)

i have no problems with things like the William J. Le Petomane Thruway

Yes, I should've included an addendum for rather corrupt areas--I was well aware, of say, Louisiana and Huey Long...

Reading "Houston Freeways" indicates that the name of Crosby Freeway was Northeast Freeway, and was to be complete by the 1980s, but budget cuts put it on ice and it renamed in 1987. To date, there are STILL parts of it not done, and a major part of it was done in the last 5-10 years.

That explains that. What then is the rational behind naming the US 59/I-69 - S. H. 288 interchange after Lloyd Bentsen? Perhaps it could be renamed the John Boehner/Harry Reid interchange since it is always so gridlocked.  <_<

The interchange isn't named after Bentsen. Only the stretch of US 59 between I-35 and I-45 carries that designation. Now, there is a named interchange in town. The 610/225 interchange was named the "Juan N. Seguín Memorial Interchange" a few years back.

Now if we're renaming freeways, let's rename 288 inside the loop as the "Beyonce and Bun B Trillway". :P

the gulf and named Gulf Freeway as a inland shipping trade route to the gulf aswell as a tourist/vacation route to Galveston thus why it is named the Gulf Freeway .

http://www.texasfreeway.com/Houston/photos/45s/i45s.shtml

The gulf freeway was the first freeway built in Houston, it was named in a contest in 1948 where people submitted name ideas and Gulf Freeway was the winner.

The interchange isn't named after Bentsen. Only the stretch of US 59 between I-35 and I-45 carries that designation. Now, there is a named interchange in town. The 610/225 interchange was named the "Juan N. Seguín Memorial Interchange" a few years back.

Now if we're renaming freeways, let's rename 288 inside the loop as the "Beyonce and Bun B Trillway". :P

Correct about Bentsen, JM. My mistake though the reasoning of why his name is on a highway that goes to Laredo when he was born in Mission, Texas eludes me.

I pass through the Juan N(epomuceno). Seguin interchange several times during a given week (S. H. 225 is often a preferable alternate to the Gulf Freeway when traveling to or from the bay area. For those unaware of who Seguin was his story is interesting: www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fse08. You might have to copy/paste this web address.The naming of this interchange in honor of Seguin is appropriate IMO due to his involvement in the battle of San Jacinto.

how far should the N/S/E/W designations actually extend? Should/does the East Freeway remain that name out to Beaumont? Should the Northwest Freeway designation terminate at Hempstead officially?

Many of the older roads are also named after destinations, and end up having the name peter out at some point.  For example, people stopped referring to old 290 as Hempstead Highway at some uncertain point beyond Cypress; Almeda Genoa goes from what was those communities, etc.

Some of the directional names get a bit confusing for the uninitiated.  We know where West Belt North and South Loop East are, but it can really befuddle people who ain't from here.  

IIRC, there was a time when people sometimes called 45 north the Dallas Freeway, but it never really caught on.

Correct about Bentsen, JM. My mistake though the reasoning of why his name is on a highway that goes to Laredo when he was born in Mission, Texas eludes me.

I pass through the Juan N(epomuceno). Seguin interchange several times during a given week (S. H. 225 is often a preferable alternate to the Gulf Freeway when traveling to or from the bay area. For those unaware of who Seguin was his story is interesting: www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fse08. You might have to copy/paste this web address.The naming of this interchange in honor of Seguin is appropriate IMO due to his involvement in the battle of San Jacinto.

I too appreciate the naming of the Seguin interchange.  On the other point, FWIW when I'm driving to the Valley I often take 59 at least to Victoria. 

Good point Mollusk.

Alief-Clodine road becomes harwin past Alief, and just carries 1093 once Westheimer (road, not parkway) joins up with it.

HW6 is referred to as Addicks-Satsuma north of i10, and Addicks-Howell south of i10, then there's Sugarland-Howell. 

Barker Cypress road.

I'm sure there's tons more, and I doubt that's unique to Houston.

8. SH149

A. West Tomball Parkway-To Tomball , Montgomery
B. West Montgomery - To Shepard @ Tidwell 

149 was named Tomball Parkway because it merges into what is now West Mount Houston 249 that runs north to Montgomery , Tomball and Conroe it also crosses 249 north to Beltway 8 known as Old Tomball Parkway . 249 was and is now a freeway terminus . It is aptly named West Montgomery because of its history of being the only state highway to reach Montgomery via Tomball and 249. 249 was a later phase 2 extention of149 as a truck and business route from I-45 to Montgomery, Tomball , Conroe , and Waco .

I too appreciate the naming of the Seguin interchange.  On the other point, FWIW when I'm driving to the Valley I often take 59 at least to Victoria. 

U.S. 59 does get us pointed in the general direction of the lower Rio Grande Valley but eventually one has to get onto U.S. 281 to complete the trip. IIRC, Senator Bentsen did have business connections in Houston as well (and as a U.S. senator he did represent the entire state) so there is some logic to the naming of the highway in his honor.

U.S. 59 does get us pointed in the general direction of the lower Rio Grande Valley but eventually one has to get onto U.S. 281 to complete the trip. IIRC, Senator Bentsen did have business connections in Houston as well (and as a U.S. senator he did represent the entire state) so there is some logic to the naming of the highway in his honor.

Didn't 281 get the new IH-69 designation as well as 59? I thought that was the point of coverting from U.S. highways to Interstates, so that it appears as a continuous, single highway to the border.

Didn't 281 get the new IH-69 designation as well as 59? I thought that was the point of coverting from U.S. highways to Interstates, so that it appears as a continuous, single highway to the border.

Only part of 281 will get an I-69 designation. Once I-69 gets to Victoria, it's going to split into I-69E and I-69W. I-69E will follow US 77 from Victoria to Corpus and Brownsville. I-69W will follow US 59 from Victoria to the World Trade Bridge in Laredo. There's another branch called I-69C which will branch off from I-69W at George West and follow 281 to Pharr.

Only part of 281 will get an I-69 designation. Once I-69 gets to Victoria, it's going to split into I-69E and I-69W. I-69E will follow US 77 from Victoria to Corpus and Brownsville. I-69W will follow US 59 from Victoria to the World Trade Bridge in Laredo. There's another branch called I-69C which will branch off from I-69W at George West and follow 281 to Pharr.

I had no idea the interstate designation would extend to three different highways. Of course precedent in Texas can be found with Interstates 35E and 35 W in Dallas and Fort Worth respectively.

I believe there is a significant amount of traffic that crosses the border in Laredo and I know the lower Rio Grande valley sees a huge amount of traffic. I guess I am in awe since I remember so well traveling to Mission, Texas on several occasions in the early 1980s via the two-lane highway that was U. S. 281 and hating like all Hell getting stuck behind some slow moving vehicle and looking for an opportunity to pass. True the road was flat as a table but there always seemed to be a long line of cars coming from the opposite direction.

For those who are curous, here's everything you wanted to know about I69 in texas...

A good board for 'road-heads' 'road-fanatics'.

Start of thread:

http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=41e6b1fae1b9862e8758855f9aa007f5&topic=3624.0

Current page:

http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=41e6b1fae1b9862e8758855f9aa007f5&topic=3624.725

i69texasalliance-map(1).jpg

For those who are curous, here's everything you wanted to know about I69 in texas...

A good board for 'road-heads' 'road-fanatics'.

Start of thread:

http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=41e6b1fae1b9862e8758855f9aa007f5&topic=3624.0

Current page:

http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=41e6b1fae1b9862e8758855f9aa007f5&topic=3624.725

i69texasalliance-map(1).jpg

We prefer the term "roadgeek." ;)

Archived