Coog's Crossing: Mixed-Use Development At 4001 Gulf Fwy.

Scharpe St Guy

All/Mod,

Finger Furniture At 4001 Gulf Fwy.

Perhaps I have missed the thread else ware and the search let me down but what is the buzz on the Fingers Furniture location across the Freeway from UofH? This is a large tract of land just south of downtown next to our largest University so what will it become, any insight?

Apologies if this is being discussed else ware,

Scharpe St Guy

• Like 1

All/Mod,

Perhaps I have missed the thread else ware and the search let me down but what is the buzz on the Fingers Furniture location across the Freeway from UofH? This is a large tract of land just south of downtown next to our largest University so what will it become, any insight?

Apologies if this is being discussed else ware,

Scharpe St Guy

I think it is supposed to be converted into an Ashley Furniture, if I'm not mistaken.

Just found this: "Longer-term, the Finger family, which owns Fingers Furniture, plans a multitenant redevelopment of the Gulf Freeway property."

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto.../25/story6.html

I'm pretty sure that I heard that this would not be an Ashley Furniture location, then I heard something about Walmart going in there but that could have been pie in the sky.

Thanks,

Scharpe St Guy

At this point, I assume they have begun to enjoy the "auction" process and might start a side business. ;) Seriously, how much furniture could they have left to auction, and who buys nightstands at auction thinking they are gonig to get a deal?

Edited by travelguy_73

• 11 months later...

I noticed on my way home this evening that the Finger's Furniture location at Cullen says "opening soon" on their sign. We have all watched the painfully slow liquidation sale, then the removal of some of the signs, cleaning of others, etc. And now it is reopening?

I can't find anything online, so if anyone knows anything, share it! Not that I'm excited to see it again, but it's better than a vacant building.

eta: Their website says it as well...

http://www.fingerfurniture.com/

Edited by travelguy_73

I noticed on my way home this evening that the Finger's Furniture location at Cullen says "opening soon" on their sign. We have all watched the painfully slow liquidation sale, then the removal of some of the signs, cleaning of others, etc. And now it is reopening?

I can't find anything online, so if anyone knows anything, share it! Not that I'm excited to see it again, but it's better than a vacant building.

eta: Their website says it as well...

http://www.fingerfurniture.com/

The last I heard from one of the managers, there is another large furniture chain that bought the remaining inventory, and will be open at that location. I can't remember the name of the new chain, but it wasn't Star.

The last I heard from one of the managers, there is another large furniture chain that bought the remaining inventory, and will be open at that location. I can't remember the name of the new chain, but it wasn't Star.

I think I remember seeing an HBJ article a while back--want to say it's Ashley.

IIRC, they were SUPPOSED to become Ashley stores, then Hill Country Furniture Partners did an end run and secured the chain. And given how fresh and clean the "F"s look on the signage, it's staying Fingers.

I emailed Nancy Sarnoff to see if she has any info, but haven't heard back yet.

Edited by travelguy_73

IIRC, they were SUPPOSED to become Ashley stores, then Hill Country Furniture Partners did an end run and secured the chain. And given how fresh and clean the "F"s look on the signage, it's staying Fingers.

I emailed Nancy Sarnoff to see if she has any info, but haven't heard back yet.

Ashley did have the deal, last I heard, and were toying with remodeling plans, but not demolition.

I don't think the Finger family is going to be involved, or allow the name to be used again.

As Ashley, or Finger? Who is Rodney, and why would he be running Ashley? Very confusing...when is the announcement expected?

As I stated in an earlier post, Ashley and Fingers are not affiliated. They were supposed to be, and that is what got all the press a while back, but Hill Country got the franchise and the Ashley rights belong to them. Everything I have seen and posted points to the Finger name staying put, otherwise their website wouldn't have the name and logo, and neither would the Cullen location.

:)

And thanks for the update, H-D! Haven't see you around in a while.

What happened to the baseball museum inside the Finger's on Cullen?

Long gone. Everything was packed up and moved (presumably to offsite storage) before they started the going-out-of-business sale. The home plate from Buff Stadium was left in place, however - not sure if it's still there now.

• Like 1

Long gone. Everything was packed up and moved (presumably to offsite storage) before they started the going-out-of-business sale. The home plate from Buff Stadium was left in place, however - not sure if it's still there now.

That was a neat museum. It was the last place I expected to find a museum.

That was a neat museum. It was the last place I expected to find a museum.

Indeed one would not expect to find a baseball museum in the basement of a furniture store. I just read the on-line Chronicle article about the reopening. The article suggests that the museum will remain and that exhibits will be rotated through. I plan to visit this weekend. I need a new sofa anyway. smile.gif

Inside the reopened Finger Furniture store is a wall illustration of a lemon tree and the words ā€œWhen life hands you lemons.ā€ A lemonade stand will soon be installed.

A year ago, Rodney Finger may have had a sour taste in his mouth after he found himself out of the furniture business. His family had owned Finger Furniture for more than 80 years, and in recent years they also owned the local license for Ashley Furniture HomeStores.

Debt problems forced Rodney Finger out of the furniture business, but now he is back with his remodeled store on the Gulf Freeway.

full article

Isn't it great? Rodney was forced out of business temporarily due to debt issues, yet like a post-apocalyptic roach who refuses

to die, is back in the game using the same old business model of aggressivley promoting debt financing to sell a shoddy foreign made product with a 300% mark-up to the lower middle and working class. Boo effin hoo on Finger's debt problem. No interest, no payments for 3 years, indeed.

Good luck if you try, like we did, to deal with one of their floor lizards on a discount for cash. It's all about the financing.

Inside the reopened Finger Furniture store is a wall illustration of a lemon tree and the words ā€œWhen life hands you lemons.ā€ A lemonade stand will soon be installed.

A year ago, Rodney Finger may have had a sour taste in his mouth after he found himself out of the furniture business. His family had owned Finger Furniture for more than 80 years, and in recent years they also owned the local license for Ashley Furniture HomeStores.

Debt problems forced Rodney Finger out of the furniture business, but now he is back with his remodeled store on the Gulf Freeway.

full article

I've never been a Finger's customer (couldn't stand their salespeople), but I do wish him luck. It's refreshing to see a bit of candor with regard to the mistakes made with their previous expansion attempts. Didn't try to blame the economy, at least admitting they only "probably" would have been OK if it hadn't stumbled.

And I do love the comments on the chron page...especially the one about people "not wanting to drive out to that neighborhood," and the random gripes about furniture quality.

Isn't it great? Rodney was forced out of business temporarily due to debt issues, yet like a post-apocalyptic roach who refuses

to die, is back in the game using the same old business model of aggressivley promoting debt financing to sell a shoddy foreign made product with a 300% mark-up to the lower middle and working class. Boo effin hoo on Finger's debt problem. No interest, no payments for 3 years, indeed.

Good luck if you try, like we did, to deal with one of their floor lizards on a discount for cash. It's all about the financing.

Crunch, What year was it again that you got fired from Finger's? Whoa! Don't turn your gun this way...just kidding! Lol...