HAIF - Houston's original social media

Past Shopping Places In Houston

The Hosiery Bar - 1010 Main Street

the_hosiery_bar_1010_Main.jpg

I'm assuming by the address that this would have been on the ground floor of the National Standard/C&I building. Do you know about when this was taken? There isn't a food store at that location on the "Downtowner" map.

Aberbcrombie and Fitch - prior to the "AF" of today, when the really sold travel gear and upscale equipment. I remember the location off of Post Oak.

I used to really like A&F in their original incarnation as an outdoor clothing and equipment store. They had some very nice stuff.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Moore's (IIRC), a one off grocery store.  It made the Pantry look luxurious and roomy - partially because of a giant wall that mostly cut off the larger part of the store in back.

I'm assuming by the address that this would have been on the ground floor of the National Standard/C&I building. Do you know about when this was taken? There isn't a food store at that location on the "Downtowner" map.

I used to really like A&F in their original incarnation as an outdoor clothing and equipment store. They had some very nice stuff.

The photo is from 1937

• 2 months later...

Here's hoping these stir up some fond memories, even if somewhat off topic:

Joske's, Palais Royal, & Nieman-Marcus, before there was a "Galleria Area" [and their competitor with the advertising jingle, "By Golly .. Go to Leopold Price & Rolle!"]

Alabama Theater complex - Walgreen's Drugs, A&P, Suzanne's Cafeteria, Wackers (or maybe TG&Y), & Western Auto, in addition to the Theater ... the "Valet" (?) dry cleaners just across the street, with the signage of an English butler holding up a freshly-pressed men's suit .... and the Preston Villa apartments just down the street, with the prominent signage of the 1950ish young lady diving head-first and feet-up into the pool ...

Eagle supermarkets

Houston Jewelry & Distributing

Jetton's cafeteria, when Greenway Plaza was going up

Plaid trading stamps, and the redemption center in University Village .. (used to get Top Value stamps at "Enco" stations, up through about 1973 I think)

Madding-Dugan drustores .. Became Rexall, then Eckerd

...when Bland Cadillac used to be Bland-Willis, off 610 I think

And for some really old memories:

Shoppers' Special downtown buses with the white flags on top

Kayo gasoline - the really cheap stuff!

Conoco gasoline, with about 8 different grades, according to the selector lever on the pump

"Buy your Chevrolet from Persia .. Mike Persia Chevrolet!"

The downtown Weingarten's, between the Chronicle building and the hippie dive known as "The Cellar", that used to always have a hearse parked out front

Dobbs House and Toddle House short-order eateries

Budget Chopper, which was a division of Brookshire Brothers.

Minimax/Continental Finer Foods/Holiday Foods/Lucky 7 I think were owned by the same company in the end.

Moore's which (at least in Rosenberg) became Price-Lo Foods. Palais Royal eventually took over the site when the grocery store folded.

Bill's Department Stores, which seemed to be the Dollar General of it's day. Not sure if one or two surviving stores exist, but I remember seeing a sign in Sealy or Bellville in the not-too-distant past.

Remco. Can't forget the goaheadandgetit store... I think a bunch of those became Magic Rent to own along the way.

Miller's Outpost. All sorts of 'unique' promos with those stores.

Kuppenheimer, later Eagle comes to mind. Forgot the name of the guy that was always in the commericals tho...

Bill's Department Stores, which seemed to be the Dollar General of it's day.

LOL! Good ol' Bill's. I once told my sister-in-law that if she didn't behave herself and start being nice to me, I was doing my Christmas shopping for her at Bill's. That message sure got through. ROTF!

LOL! Good ol' Bill's. I once told my sister-in-law that if she didn't behave herself and start being nice to me, I was doing my Christmas shopping for her at Bill's. That message sure got through. ROTF!

Miller's Outpost was quite "hip" for it's time too.

Did anyone mention Banana Republic already? Was too expensive for the common folk (like me) so it didn't surprise me if it vanished.

banana_republic_6th_bleecke.jpg

WORLD TOY IN THE RICE VILLAGE!!! Those old Jewish ladies were like Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall in the barber shop in Coming to America. It was where Banana Republic and NY & Co. are now at the corner of University and Morningside. Thank God 5 & 10 is still there. No matter if you need a new spatula or a costume, they've got it!

I have the funniest story about that store.

In 1991, I was in the hospital recovering from surgery and my sister went there to buy me a Madame Alexander Doll. She was trying to decide between two of them - McGuffey Ana and Apple Pie.

After she decided on Apple Pie, the little saleslady (who had been there at least 40 years) announced to the whole store, "If anyone else comes in to buy a doll for Alpha, tell them to get McGuffey Ana, because she already has Apple Pie."

When my sister gave me the doll and told me this, I laughed so hard I nearly pulled out my stitches.

Kuppenheimer, later Eagle comes to mind. Forgot the name of the guy that was always in the commericals tho...

Kuppenheimer spokesman: Gene Peterson...the voice of the Houston Rockets on the radio.

Here's one for you guys:

BRITT'S in Northline Mall.

Fayva, the shoe & fashion boot retailer

Sutherlands- Why'd it disappear from the Houston area? I'm pretty sure they're still around in a bunch of other places. Definitely recall seeing a huge one in Corpus that was still open on my last trip at the end of last year.

Bookstop, before it was reduced to one store. Always loved hanging out at the one in Sugar Land... wonderful staff and selection. Both of which eventually tranferred to Barnes and Noble when that opened later on. This location was adjacent to another old Houston furniture store, Plantowsky's.

I'd make the same arguement for Cactus before it was only one superstore... My favorite was the one along S. Main near the Astrodome.

• 4 months later...

Sage as of 6/30/1969

Open Mon. thru Fri., 9:30 AM - 9 PM

Saturday 9:30 AM - 7 PM

Loop 610 at Beechnut

Monroe St. exit - Gulf Freeway

Buddy Sussman's Sage Liquors; 4645 Beechnut at Post Oak -- 8655 Gulf Freeway

Edited by Marty
Sage as of 6/30/1969

I went to Sage at 610 and Beechnut a lot when I was a kid. Sage was kind of the first Walmart. They sold everything. After they closed, the family opened Arnies Warehouse, which is still there.

This thread is great. Lot's of memories. I knew Don's step son real well. He had a room at his house stacked from floor to ceiling with records.

I didn't see a mention of White's Auto. They did car repair and also sold appliances and furniture.

Another great record shop was Lew's Records. They had the little enclosed booths with turntables and headphones that you could take a record in and listen to.

I went to Sage at 610 and Beechnut a lot when I was a kid.

Plus your grocieries traveled on a roller conveyor that went through the wall and along the outside of the building. Pretty cool stuff when you're 7 years old.

Edited by SecondTour
When my son,who is now 31 was baby we would go to the Sage at Monroe and 45.They had good deals on diapers and formula.Does anyone know when it was built? I don't remember it being very new when I went there.

If you know the exact address you might try the Harris County Appraisal District but they can be off by a couple of year's.

link...http://www.hcad.org/records/default.asp

Edited by Marty
I can't imagine how that worked?

If you wanted your groceries sent to the pick-up window, they gave you a tag with a number corresponding to the number on a plastic crate. They loaded your groceries in the crate and they traveled along the track to the place where they were stored until you drove up to the window. They would bring out the crate and load the groceries in your car.

The Henke and Pillot store in Meyerland used to do this back in the late 50s and 60s. One time my mother had her groceries sent to pick-up and forgot about them. We drove home and when we got out of the car she realized that she had forgotten them. We got back in the car and went to get them. I don't think she ever used the pick-up window after that.

Plus your grocieries traveled on a roller conveyor that went through the wall and along the outside of the building. Pretty cool stuff when you're 7 years old.

Was there any other stores in Houston that had this service?

• 1 month later...
OK it seems like there was a Globe store on 59 North (maybe near Little York) that also had the name Jubilee City at one time. I remember going there with my grandparents.

I think the building still stands.

Yes, it is Sak and Save now and barely survived T.S. Allison.

I don't remember it ever being called "Jubilee City" but it has been a flea market on at least two different occassions before becoming Sak and Save.

Anyone remember "Shopper's Fair" on Crosstimbers and Shepard?

I know of two supermarkets. One on Airline @ Little York called Eagles. Across the street from it was a old gas station. The owner had a monkey inside of the gas station, I'm talking late 70's. Also there was a supermarket called Richy's on Aldine Westfield @ Hopper Road. Great memories there. The owner died in the early 1990's

I live in close proximity to Richie's #3...it has been through two or three owners since the family who owned it (yes, they are still around...just not in the grocery business anymore). It is now a "Rancho something-or-another". At one time, there were three Richie's:

#1 was on East Mt. Houston between 59 and Hirsch Road...it is still a grocery store.

#2 was on Langly between Hirsch and 59 and in close proximity to the old Globe (now Sak and Save)- this building no longer exists.

FYI from a northside boy.

Who remember the "Tiddy's" store in Pasadena?

I do. It took a lot of whining to get my mom to take me there, but eventually it became a yearly ritual to go to the Tiddy Factory for that summer's pair. Then there was the yearly ritual of developing the summer Tiddy blisters, which eventually turned into Tiddy calluses.

I remember years later they licensed them to chain shoe stores, but those were never as good as the ones we bought at the factory.

If you've never heard of them, Tiddys were sandals made from 2 or 3 layers of foam rubber, held to your feet with loops of surgical tubing. Very simple, very comfortable.

Thanks Sandy! Great information. I was raised in Sharpstown during the 70's. Went to Sutton Elem., Jane Long JR., and Sharpstown SR. High. My grandmother lived on Lake in West U. I actually live in San Antonio, but travel back time to time to see relatives and friends. I'm working in Little Rock, AR right now.

Y'all are sure making me homesick. Alpha, I grew up the next street over from you on Swarthmore. Mom used to shop at JMH (Milton) and Weingartens as well. I remember her telling me about the little park where JMH used to be, but have never seen it. Need to make it back down there someday. Great memories - thank you.

Who remember the "Tiddy's" store in Pasadena?

I remember a stoner friend of mine taking me to Pasadena in the early 70's to get a pair of Tiddy's. This place wasn't a factory but more like a garage. I picked out the material, either thick or thin, kind of like Piazza Hut. The guy made them on the spot for me. Maybe this was before he had a factory, or it was just some guy who was selling knock-offs. All I know is that they were genuine Tiddy's with the authentic logo. They were a hit when I went to go visit some friends in California. Some girlfriend finally talked me out of them. I didn't really care because I was a "deck shoe" kind of guy back then anyway. Perry "Top Sider" moccasins from the "Ships Store" at Seabrook Shipyard was my footwear of choice back then.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The OLD Meyerland Plaza was really nice to go to in the 70's. I distinctly remember going to a restaurant with family all the time and there was a toystore a couple of doors down. I saw a few movies in that theater back then also. I also remember before they built ALL the new stuff there like Kmart and Bed, Bath & Beyond, that they had converted the old buildings into a huge antiques flea market of sorts, and it also was a fun place to go shop.

Edited by TJones
The OLD Meyerland Plaza was really nice to go to in the 70's. I distinctly remember going to a restaurant with family all the time and there was a toystore a couple of doors down. I saw a few movies in that theater back then also. I also remember before they built ALL the new stuff there like Kmart and Bed, Bath & Beyond, that they had converted the old buildings into a huge antiques flea market of sorts, and it also was a fun place to go shop.

And we all know how much you secretly love Bed Bath and Beyond..... :lol:

Now that you mention TG & Y, has it been talked about much om Haif?

They were pretty good with novelty toys like Woolworth and Grant's.

Can't help it, this time of year reminds me of the fun old days in those great store's and their fantastic hamburgers and toys, toys, toys! Yeah! :lol:

Now that you mention TG & Y, has it been talked about much om Haif?

what i remember most about tg&y - as a kid - was the large wireframe bin stacked full of those thick balloons with the rubber bands on the end to bounce against your fist. those and it seems like they had a lot of hippety-hoppies too (the balls with the handle on top that you sit on)

what i remember most about tg&y - as a kid - was the large wireframe bin stacked full of those thick balloons with the rubber bands on the end to bounce against your fist. those and it seems like they had a lot of hippety-hoppies too (the balls with the handle on top that you sit on)

Yeah, those ballon ball thingies were painted in rainbow like colors and you could have contests as everyone counted the times you smacked it like those paddles with the red ball.

There was a TG & Y in that shopping center on Lawndale at 75th, right in the corner (now a crappy $ store) Tiny bldg next to it had expensive beauty salon and barber. Area had better paying clientel then.

TG & Y also had best popcorn and those black N white photo booths like Woolworth. :P

I grew up on 1960 and while I consider it a "newer" part of town (relatively speaking), when I start to tally up all the stores that are no longer there, damn it makes me feel old!

Louis Shanks at 45 & 1960 was a Suniland (originally Randalls had that location)

Kuykendahl and 1960 was home to a variety of now de-funked places, Woolco, Safeway, K-mart, Weiners, and a politically incorrect coffee shop named "Sambo's."

North Oaks was an actual mall, only the portion with the movie theatre in it remains, if even that is still there. There was a home improvement store across Breck street on the west end of the center called Handy-Andy.

Champions Village 3 had a Sakowitz & Wilson's. Storehouse was across the street (later became a Rice Epicurean, and now I think a container store) and an unfinished furniture store called Furniture in the raw was next to Pier 1.

When you went past Champions there was an 84 Lumber by the tracks, no Willowbrook Mall back then.

North Oaks was an actual mall, only the portion with the movie theatre in it remains, if even that is still there.

It is, and I believe the movie theater actually reopened recently. It was showing movies the last time I was over there several months ago, at any rate. I was pretty surprised to see that, as it had been closed for a long time. It used to be an AMC 6-screener; I can clearly remember seeing ALIEN there in first run in 1979 with my dad. I don't think I've ever seen another movie audience react as strongly as when the creature burst out of John Hurt's chest.

• 2 weeks later...

As you can see by my posts I have not been very active. I have enjoyed immensely the threads especially dealing with theatres, Bellaire, West University, Stores etc. Kudos to Alpha and WestUNative, your posts bring back many,many memories of those areas in the 50s, 60s and early 70s. My Oh My how those areas have changed. Unfortunately as they say "you can't go back home again". But it sure is fun remembering those times. My first years were on Swarthmore in WUP and later on Pin Oak in Bellaire behind Marian HS

on Gulfton before it was known as Fournace. Both houses are now MacMansions

Yea I remember going to the JMH near Auden and University,that and other stores used to have folks in the produce section weigh your goods and then put them in paperbags and mark the price with a black or green crayon...personal service indeed.

Evans Music in the village in a small wooden building on Kelvin (I think ) before they moved across the street to the strip center that now has 1/2 Price books and other shops, Jack Roach Ford on Bissonet and Buffalo Speedway with the huge stuffed animals inside, Fed Mart in the Bellaire theatre center, Meyer Bros in Bellaire(center on Rice and Bellaire Blvd) and Kirby & University, Bert Wheeler's, Kelley's Hardware, George's Barber Shop, Frenchy's is still around.

Near downtown on Elgin and Main there was a strip center that had a Woolworths and Wonder Fabric and closer to town was (in)famous Simpson's Diner.

Thanks HAIF for the chance to relive some great times

Does anyone recall if there was a Joske's store at Meyerland shopping plaza? I think there was, but the Wikipedia article on Meyerland doesn't list it.

I have shopped at Meyerland from the mid-1950's to the present. The "anchor" department stores were Meyer Bros. and JC Penney's. but I don't remember Joske's being there. Joske's was the original tenant of the large, freestanding department store on Post Oak across from the Galleria. I believe it was built for them in the 1960's. Currently, it is Dillard's.

Silverartfox you are correct. In fact, you may have passed by me hard at work. From late fall of 1957 to summer of 1958, I worked at Meyer Bros. Terrible job, I was suffering the kicks and tantrums in the Children's Shoe Department, just at the top of the up escalator on the 2nd floor. The one compensation, besides the 50 cents an hour with no overtime paid, was the record deprtment next to us always playing music. I was in 10th grade, working after school every day and Saturdays, plus 10 hour shifts on holidays.

Joske's Post Oak was a very nice store, shopped there until 1981, when we moved out of town. When I returned in 1993, everything had changed.

Historical note: Meyer Bros. started out in The Village, corner of University Blvd. and Kirby as The White House. Currently Half-Price Books occupies that spot. They changed the name to reflect the owners' when Meyerland opened.