Historic Houston Shopping Places

citykid09

• 5 weeks later...

The only one I can remember that hasn't been metioned is:

Rice Food Mart it was at the north end of the Globe store across woodridge from Gulfgate. Back then the grocery store had two long metal wheel tracks that when you bought your groceries they would paper bag them stick them in a plastic crate and give them a push and they would roll outside and the attendent would put them in your car when you pulled up to the building. When I was 10 or 11 my friends and I would cross the parking lot, find a wooden board and ride the tracks on sundays when they were closed.

The only one I can remember that hasn't been metioned is:

Rice Food Mart it was at the north end of the Globe store across woodridge from Gulfgate. Back then the grocery store had two long metal wheel tracks that when you bought your groceries they would paper bag them stick them in a plastic crate and give them a push and they would roll outside and the attendent would put them in your car when you pulled up to the building. When I was 10 or 11 my friends and I would cross the parking lot, find a wooden board and ride the tracks on sundays when they were closed.

Rice is now Rice Epicurian, Rice originally took over the Eagle grocery stores. If I remember correctly. Where the 24 hour fitness on San Felipe is now, by Voss, that used to be an Eagle grocery, then Rice.

Soon Diamond Shamrock should be added to this list, as it is changing to "Valero".

Also, the Magnolia Gas Station's Horse looks almost exactly like the Mobil Logo.

That is because Magnolia was a predecessor to Mobil.

I read in the Chron that only the "good" Valero stations will get the Valero makeover.

They will brand older stations or the one's that don't meet their new standards as Shamrocks.

• 2 weeks later...
Past Shopping Places in Houston That Are No Longer Here.

Name places you can remember.

Playhouse Toys in Meyerland Plaza, Sharpstown and on Post Oak across from Sakowitz? There were more, but I don't remember them all.

Cargo Houston in Westbury Square?

Madding's Drugs in Meyerland?

Kresge's (a dime store in Sharpstown Center)

Food Giant (Sharpstown and at Post Oak and Bellfort, later Belden's and most recently occupied by Kroger)

i don't remember ever hearing of houston having one, but my memory is terrible...

the last one closed in 1988, though:

Turning in their tails

America's last Playboy Club closes

Houston Chronicle

JULY 30, 1988

Author: STEVEN R. REEDStaff

LANSING, Mich. - Neither cleavage nor cotton tails could save the last Playboy Club in America. The novelty of what once passed for fashionable fantasy wore off here in Middle America just as it had elsewhere.

Edited by sevfiv
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...

This was probably only in my neighborhood across from Town & Country Mall, but Panjo's Pizza was a great place we went after most T-ball games. They had a great arcade game that was kinda like Battlezone, but you were a sub and you played by looking through the periscope.

I can't remember the name of the place, but they sold was stero equipment at low low proces and had a very excited guy yelling about it on the commercial. It ws located near the Toy's R Us at I-10 and Gessner. Would of been around 1987 or so.

This was probably only in my neighborhood across from Town & Country Mall, but Panjo's Pizza was a great place we went after most T-ball games. They had a great arcade game that was kinda like Battlezone, but you were a sub and you played by looking through the periscope.

I can't remember the name of the place, but they sold was stero equipment at low low proces and had a very excited guy yelling about it on the commercial. It ws located near the Toy's R Us at I-10 and Gessner. Would of been around 1987 or so.

To me, there are so many pizza places that pizza is no longer a special treat. To me, there's no

difference between Domino's, Papa John's, Mazzio's, Pizza Hut, etc. Many of you probably

disagree with me. I remember as a kid going to Shakey's was a real treat, sitting on the hard

wood benches at the long table and listening to the player piano. All gone now.

To me, there are so many pizza places that pizza is no longer a special treat. To me, there's no

difference between Domino's, Papa John's, Mazzio's, Pizza Hut, etc. Many of you probably

disagree with me. I remember as a kid going to Shakey's was a real treat, sitting on the hard

wood benches at the long table and listening to the player piano. All gone now.

Someone might have mentioned it, but we had a cool Pipe Organ Pizza that wasn't too far from Panjo's, closer to Memorial City Mall, but even as a kid I thought their pizza was way too greasy.

I do miss Sakowitz alot, it had a great run in its heyday, who can forget that famous Sakowitz color green.

Lynn Sakowitz Wyatt is best thing that came from that family, She is Houston's gift to the international jet set. Who else from Texas can be best friends with Mick Jagger, Elton John, and invite Justin Timberlake and Cameron Diaz over for a dinner party. I also miss the short lived Barneys New York here in Houston, glad to see the CO-OOP store coming to the Galleria.

• 1 month later...

When I was about 19 and used to collect comic books, there was a comic book store in what was once Westbury Square that I frequented.

At the time, I didn't have many urban concerns, just the latest issue of X-Men or Justice League or Elementals. But the Westbury Square was very lovely as I remembered. It was dying at that point in 1988, not much in business but the structure as such was very quaint, like a theme from some English countryside village in a National Geographic picture.

It is sad that it's mostly torn down...and now an ugly and wretched Home Depot strip has taken its place! Looking back, I miss the place.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

There was an expensive women's store called the Smart Shop where the Gap in Highland Village is now and the Luby's on Fondren off Westheimer used to be called Romana's Cafeteria.

Oh, and there was also Jamail's grocery on Kirby. I remember the customers would take a number at the produce department and wait for an attendant to choose your produce for you!! They wouldn't let the customers touch the produce. There were also many older black housekeepters, presumably from the mansions in River Oaks, doing the shopping for the family.

There was a nice pharmacy and gift shop at Beltway 8 and Westheimer called KayT Floyd or something similar that I remember going to as a child. It was next to the Jumbo grocery store, kitty-corner to a DQ.

As far as restaurants, does anyone remember Circus? I have faint memories of going there as a child. My mom says she thinks it was on Westheimer near Chimney Rock. Do you remember Strawberry Patch and Toyko Gardens? What about Farrell's in the Galleria?

There was a nice pharmacy and gift shop at Beltway 8 and Westheimer called KayT Floyd or something similar that I remember going to as a child. It was next to the Jumbo grocery store, kitty-corner to a DQ.

As far as restaurants, does anyone remember Circus? I have faint memories of going there as a child. My mom says she thinks it was on Westheimer near Chimney Rock. Do you remember Strawberry Patch and Toyko Gardens? What about Farrell's in the Galleria?

Soifan, when I read your post I had a moment of deja vu. I have discussed all these places on other HAIF threads. But a brief synopisis: :D:D:D

I worked at that Jumbo grocery store in 1985. In 1987 I worked at Kay Lewis pharmacy which was previously Kay Floy pharmacies. I ate at DQ 3-4 times a week. I loved that place !!!

I also remember Circus Restuarant. It was located where Papadeax is on Westhiemer West of Fondren, but your mom was very close. Strawberry Patch was one of the first Pappas concepts. It is now Pappas Steakhouse. Tokyo Gardens was also awesome. The one I can remember was right at Westhiemer and 610.

Edited by Trophy Property

Soifan, when I read your post I had a moment of deja vu. I have discussed all these places on other HAIF threads. But a brief synopisis: :D:D:D

I worked at that Jumbo grocery store in 1985. In 1987 I worked at Kay Lewis pharmacy which was previously Kay Floy pharmacies. I ate at DQ 3-4 times a week. I loved that place !!!

I also remember Circus Restuarant. It was located where Papadeax is on Westhiemer West of Fondren, but your mom was very close. Strawberry Patch was one of the first Pappas concepts. It is now Pappas Steakhouse. Tokyo Gardens was also awesome. The one I can remember was right at Westhiemer and 610.

Deja Vu - funny thing it is and happens to me alot these days -lol. I grew up in Walnut Bend until we moved to Katy for my Jr and Sr High years in 1984. I have many memories of getting meds at Kay Floy Pharmacy (thanks for the correct name) and then ice cream at that DQ. I also remember that there was a Chinese Restaurant right there -on the Kay Floy side.

My only real memory of Circus is the time we went when my dad tried to get one of us girls to try escargot. When we wouldn't do it, he bribed us with a dollar. My youngest sister put it in her mouth, grabbed the dollar, and then spit it out on the floor -lol. She was probably all of 4 or 5 years old at the time. Why this sticks in my head so well, I don't know - but it was at Circus -lol.

I loved Strawberry Patch and last ate there in 1994 when home from college. Toyko Gardens was a neat place too. I actually went to a 2nd grade BD party there (LOL) and remember the little bridge, water features, taking off my shoes to eat, and sitting on pillows -all very strange for a 7 year old and very memorable too. :P Yes, it was that location. I don't think there were any others.

Do you remember the big fireworks show they did every year on Flag Day with the extremely intricate designs -esp. for that time? I think they launched them from fields along Westheimer between Blue Willow and Beltway 8. I remember people would line up all over Westheimer at that area to watch -esp. by the church with the bells on top. We could watch from our backyard and the reflections from the fireworks on the office buildings right there were very beautiful too.

Did you grow up near there too? It's been fun reminiscing. I'm sure I'll think of 10 more things once I log off -lol.

Do you remember the big fireworks show they did every year on Flag Day with the extremely intricate designs -esp. for that time? I think they launched them from fields along Westheimer between Blue Willow and Beltway 8. I remember people would line up all over Westheimer at that area to watch -esp. by the church with the bells on top. We could watch from our backyard and the reflections from the fireworks on the office buildings right there were very beautiful too.

Did you grow up near there too? It's been fun reminiscing. I'm sure I'll think of 10 more things once I log off -lol.

I do not remember the fireworks. But we moved to Briargrove Park from Briarmedow in late 1983 when I was in 7th Grade. They might have stopped it by then.

7 months ago my wife and I moved into Walnut Bend. We fought moving that far out, but have grown to love the area once again.

Did you ever ride your bike on the Sam Houston Tollway before it was completed. WE used to get up there and rige all the way to 59. It was pretty much completed for months before it was actually opened.

Edited by Trophy Property
  • Haha 1