Historic Houston Shopping Places

citykid09

These triangular buildings remind me of a much smaller scale of one. When I was a child, we got our prescriptions at Jay's Prescription Shop at Bissonett & Chestnut (I think) in Bellaire. It was a one-story building, but in a triangular shape because of the angle of Bissonett (which was Old Richmond Road back then).

Chestnut is just a block or so outside the loop. I think that's the corner where Don's Record Shop was for years - set back from the intersection, the parking lot was triangular but the building was rectangular.

You may be thinking of the block bounded by Bissonett, Cedar, and 5th St., between Rice and the intersection where Bissonett and Bellaire cross. There's a triangular building there that's been there as long as I've been driving Bissonett (I don't remember Old Richmond Road).

I'm sure there used to be a prescription shop in there and a cleaners, I think. The exterior has recently been updated; the shop 'on the point,' so to speak, is a computer shop.

When I was a child, we got our prescriptions at Jay's Prescription Shop at Bissonett & Chestnut (I think) in Bellaire. It was a one-story building, but in a triangular shape because of the angle of Bissonett (which was Old Richmond Road back then).

The 1969 Cole's Directory shows Bissonnet ended at 4300 (the Bellaire city limits) and became Richmond Road.

Jay's Prescription Shop was located at 5122.

We got our prescriptions at Madings Drug Store in the Bellaire Triangle at 5430.

Don's Bellaire Record Shop was at 5008

Near-by was:

5000 LaRose Cleaners

5002 Fosters Uphlstring

5004 Antique Dreams

5007 Buteras Delux Meat Mkt

5008 Dons Bellaire Record Shop

5011 Moyas Barber Shop

5012 Stewart Service Station

5106 Napko Paint Store

5110 Fosters Interiors

5112 A Gees Chinese Oven No 1

5114 Tulane Fabrics

5116 Tic Toc Cleaners

5118 H & H House of Beauty, JJ Watson Plumbing Co, V. Woodard Cos Ofc

5120 Allied Finance Co.

5122 Jays Prescription Shop

5124 American Nut Sales, Dr. C M Ashmore

5126 Reppond Elect Co.

5130 Plaza Cleaners

5202 Tele Radio Inc.

5206 Coin op Wash & Dry

5208 Felix Mexican Restaurant

5301 Wilkins Fine Furniture

5301A Southwestern Savings Association

pic1962.jpg

This was 5301-A Richmond Road (Bissonnet) in 1962.

Kirksey Architects lead their client, Amegy Bank, in the destruction of this fabulous landmark in late 2004.

5303 Bellaire Barber Shop

5305 Imperial Credit

5307 Jr. Miss

5309 Chez Lee Beauty Salon, Christian Science Church

5311 Footes Cafeterias

5312 Griffs Burger Bar

5313 USA Recruting Serv, R M Hardison Co, James T Melton, U S Marine Corps, Dr. L F Melchior (This must be the wonderful two story MOD office building that is now in danger of a Styro-Stuccoing thanks to Amegy Bank and Kirksey Architects)

5317 Chapman Young World

5321 Goodyear Srv Stores

5400 Bellaire Srf Shop, E. Garcia, Triangle Barber Shop

5408 Studers Photos Inc.

5414 Fabric Mart

5418 Village Shoe Store

5422 Brooks Ones A Meal Sandwich Shop

5424 Benjamins Clothiers

5430 Madings Drug Store

Great pic, subdude.  I had forgotten they referred to the Flying Red Horse.  In my memory, the one at W. Gray and Shepherd was white.  The Magnolia bldg in downtown Dallas has been restored as a hotel and the big Flying Red Horse on top of it restored, too.  There are pics on line.

I haven't been on the sidewalk on Main in many a year.

BTW, how far back does your collection of great pics go?  How about the Iris Theatre, 612 Travis, 1920s?

How many actual "filling/service" are still around? Not many. I think that I can safely say that at least 90-95% of all Americans pump their gasoline themselves at convenience stores.

Great pic, subdude.  I had forgotten they referred to the Flying Red Horse.  In my memory, the one at W. Gray and Shepherd was white.  The Magnolia bldg in downtown Dallas has been restored as a hotel and the big Flying Red Horse on top of it restored, too.  There are pics on line.

BTW, how far back does your collection of great pics go?  How about the Iris Theatre, 612 Travis, 1920s?

I meant to say "filling/service" STATIONS. Just a typo.

• 1 month later...

Auto dealers:

Jacobe & Pearson Lincoln Mercury (downtown)

Bob Robertson Cheverolet (Gulf Frwy. near Gulfgate mall)

Richardson Cheverolet (SW Frwy and Hilcroft)

Bill McDavid Oldsmobile (Gulf Frwy.near Gulfgate mall)

Art Grindle (used cards, SE Houston)

Ralph Williams Chrysler Plymouth (Gulf Frwy at Gulfgate)

Cal Worthington (Gulf Frwy. at Gulfgate)

-egkor (Gary K)

Edited by Gary K

I can't believe nobody claimed the "AIM" stores, by Kmart & Co.

There was also Don McMillen Ford which is now Mac Haik.

Apple Chevrolet at Hilcroft and 59.

Jack Roach just recently sold out to Freeway Ford.

No more Bonanzas around.

Haven't seen any Sizzlers either.

Albertson's have all gone the way of the Dodo bird also.

Has anyone seen a Kettle restaurant lately.

Shoney's has booked it out of town. Awesome breakfast buffets.

No more Gulf gas stations.

Spanky's pizza out on 610 south loop is gone. I think the sign is still there.

Auto dealers:

Jacobe & Pearson Lincoln Mercury (downtown)

Bob Robertson Cheverolet (Gulf Frwy. near Gulfgate mall)

Richardson Cheverolet (SW Frwy and Hilcroft)

Bill McDavid Oldsmobile (Gulf Frwy.near Gulfgate mall)

Art Grindle (used cards, SE Houston)

Ralph Williams Chrysler Plymouth (Gulf Frwy at Gulfgate)

Cal Worthington (Gulf Frwy. at Gulfgate)

-egkor (Gary K)

Welcome to HAIF, Gary.

Another defunct auto dealer: Bland Cadillac, at Gray and Bagby.

Somehow the name Bland seemed just right for a Cadillac dealer.

I can't believe nobody claimed the "AIM" stores, by Kmart & Co.

Spanky's pizza out on 610 south loop is gone. I think the sign is still there.

AIM was owned by TG&Y. Sort of a Super TG&Y. Was it actually around more than a couple of years?

Spanky's is still open. I go there often and was there last week. It is owned by Gabby's BBQ now.

AIM was owned by TG&Y. Sort of a Super TG&Y. Was it actually around more than a couple of years?

Spanky's is still open. I go there often and was there last week. It is owned by Gabby's BBQ now.

Glad to hear Spanky's is still open, I don't venture on that side of town too often, unless I'm going to Kelley's country cookin.

I'll have to disagree with the TG&Y thing though. TG&Y what a great 5 & 10 growing up. Which was bought out by the AMES stores, not AIM, 2 different deals. Had one in Baytown. I actually have a TG&Y light bulb that still works. <_<

Edited by TJones

Glad to hear Spanky's is still open, I don't venture on that side of town too often, unless I'm going to Kelley's country cookin.

I'll have to disagree with the TG&Y thing though. TG&Y what a great 5 & 10 growing up. Which was bought out by the AMES stores, not AIM, 2 different deals. Had one in Baytown. I actually have a TG&Y light bulb that still works. <_<

I lived in Baytown in '83. When Alicia came through the TG&Y Family Center on Market closed because of damage and never reopened. A buddy of mine worked at that TG&Y and when they built AIM, they gave him a job there. I guess they decided to put their investment into AIM out at West Town instead of reopening the Market location. I guess it didn't work out for them though.

I did not know AMES stores ever bought TG&Y. I think I remember McCrory's buying them out.

Venture was an established midwest discount retailer owned by May before they spun them off in the early 90's. I think they tried to expand too quickly into competitive markets - like Houston.

I lived in Baytown in '83. When Alicia came through the TG&Y Family Center on Market closed because of damage and never reopened. A buddy of mine worked at that TG&Y and when they built AIM, they gave him a job there. I guess they decided to put their investment into AIM out at West Town instead of reopening the Market location. I guess it didn't work out for them though.

I did not know AMES stores ever bought TG&Y. I think I remember McCrory's buying them out.

Venture was an established midwest discount retailer owned by May before they spun them off in the early 90's. I think they tried to expand too quickly into competitive markets - like Houston.

That was one hell of a storm in '83, glad we both survived. Ames bought G.C. Murphy in 1985, which operated as TG&Y down here. When things got tight for Ames in '88 they sold off the TG&Y to McCrory. The location on Highway 146 was in dire need of renovation after that storm, and with the new San Jacinto Mall going in, I think they had some forsight that that part of Baytown was going to "die off", like it has.

Edited by TJones

That was one hell of a storm in '83, glad we both survived. Ames bought G.C. Murphy in 1985, which operated as TG&Y down here. When things got tight for Ames in '88 they sold off the TG&Y to McCrory. The location on Highway 146 was in dire need of renovation after that storm, and with the new San Jacinto Mall going in, I think they had some forsight that that part of Baytown was going to "die off", like it has.

And now the mall is dying or is dead....what's up with that? Does everyone get everything at the Wal Mart now?

And now the mall is dying or is dead....what's up with that? Does everyone get everything at the Wal Mart now?

It's kinda hard to keep it going when all the "anchor" stores can't stay in business. Mervyn's, Service merchandise, Monkey Ward's, Beall's,Foley's will be going bye-bye soon. It was a paradise back in the 80's though. :blink:

Great pic, subdude. I had forgotten they referred to the Flying Red Horse. In my memory, the one at W. Gray and Shepherd was white. The Magnolia bldg in downtown Dallas has been restored as a hotel and the big Flying Red Horse on top of it restored, too. There are pics on line.

BTW, how far back does your collection of great pics go? How about the Iris Theatre, 612 Travis, 1920s?

I remember Gulfgate when it wasnt closed in. Joskes had the best eating place in the basement called the Bamboo Room and a sweet tiny waitress named Margie. I also remember Battlestiens, Sakowitz, Playhouse toystore, Newberrys, Flagg Brothers, Russell Stover candy store and Walter Pyes. There was actually a grocery store at the mall. I believe it was a Weingartens. I also remember all the neat places in downtown Houston like Neiman Marcus. When we shopped in downtown we would always eat at James Coney Island.

Edited by EastEnd Susan

did Houston ever have Food Lion?

fllogo1.gif

fllogo2.gif

fllogo3.gif

Yup, they were around in the early 90s. Alot of those buildings are still around. My moms lives near one on Blackhawk in Friendswood.

Anyone mention Appletree.

Eagle

Lewis and Coker

Safeway

Albertsons

Levitz

Rice

Gerlands

Kmart

Federated

Globe

Weingarten's

Weiners

Edited by djrage

the blond haired guy for Federated was Fred Rated. brilliant ad agency, huh?

That blonde guy that did the Federated commercials was a disc jockey by the name of Shadoe Stephens. Not sure where he was from but I know he later worked for 93Q for a short period in the mid to late 80s

tg&Y

ben franklin's

gibson's

the fair

venture

the store that went into half of several of the woolco's...can't remember the name..

Didn't Woolworth and Woolco merge. I seem to remember those names together. Woolworth & Woolco.

An old Woolco still stands at 59 and Little York. Its a Flea Market now. But the doors handles still have the W on them and the logo is still on the floor as you enter. When did they go out of business. I remember a report about them closing their Houston stores but can't remember when that was.

Anyone remember the furniture place Kennedy and Cohen at 610 and Mykawa

Lets see 84 Lumber

I'll think of more....

Edited by djrage

Builder's Square, a pre-Home Depot, Home Depot. Kinney shoe stores closed up around 1983 or 84. I remember everyone being in shock when BEST stores closed. Then Houston Jewelry became just that ,a jewery store, having to downsize from a department store. I remember how picked through the store was in the last days. Very sad. I thought it was hilarious when Two Pesos restaurants had to sell out to Taco Cabana over copyright enfringement. I have never quite gotten over Pipe Organ Pizza closing though, I would have loved to be able to take my daughter there. We had a Vaudeville Pizza in Baytown, that was a good joint also, both gone. Why couldn't i just have like half of Bill Gates' money. I'd build all the great old restaurants again for everyone to enjoy. -_-

Edited by TJones

• 2 weeks later...