Historic Houston Shopping Places

citykid09

I know of two supermarkets. One on Airline @ Little York called Eagles. Across the street from it was a old gas station. The owner had a monkey inside of the gas station, I'm talking late 70's. Also there was a supermarket called Richy's on Aldine Westfield @ Hopper Road. Great memories there. The owner died in the early 1990's

Edited by Marty

Monkey Wards and more at Sharpstown Mall. Westwood Mall. Gemco department store on the corner of Beachnut and Fondren. Sacco Bros. Grocery store, Homer's home center, and Henry's Barbeque on Bissonnet and Hillcroft. Globe Department store on Bellaire Blvd. and Hillcroft. Westbury Square.......

Monkey Wards and more at Sharpstown Mall. Westwood Mall. Gemco department store on the corner of Beachnut and Fondren. Sacco Bros. Grocery store, Homer's home center, and Henry's Barbeque on Bissonnet and Hillcroft. Globe Department store on Bellaire Blvd. and Hillcroft. Westbury Square.......

I STILL miss Westbury Square - nothing like it in Houston since....

There was also one on the West Belt & Beechnut.

I also remember

Meyer Brothers in Meyerland

W Bell

What was the name of that store that was on the corner of Fondren & 59 or maybe it was Fondren & Beechnut where you had to belong to their club before you could shop there. Along the lines of Sam's club but it wasn't groceries, just clothes & stuff like that I think. It lasted a few years before going out.

There was a Food Lion in Sugar Land on the corner of Eldridge & Jess Pirtle. I think it's Gerlands now but could be wrong about that.

There was also one on W. Airport west of Kirkwood that turned into a school or something like that.

Two old membership groups: Globe and Fed-Mart

This was probably only in my neighborhood across from Town & Country Mall, but Panjo's Pizza was a great place we went after most T-ball games. They had a great arcade game that was kinda like Battlezone, but you were a sub and you played by looking through the periscope.

I can't remember the name of the place, but they sold was stero equipment at low low proces and had a very excited guy yelling about it on the commercial. It ws located near the Toy's R Us at I-10 and Gessner. Would of been around 1987 or so.

Ah Panjo's Pizza - good one!

Anyone mention Craig's Department Stores?

Anyone mention Craig's Department Stores?

We used to shop at Craig's in the Village all the time. We didn't have to "dress up" to go there like we did when we went to Sakowitz or Battlesteins. Later on, when I was in college, we shopped at Craig's in Memorial City, especially before Foley's opened there.

Very briefly, Houston had a Tower Records. It was on Fondren just north of Richmond, in a 2 story building that's still there. I can't remember it much since it was so short lived. Don't recall if it was on both levels, or just the ground floor.

Don's Record Shop in Bellaire

Peppermint Park

The Sizzler

Bonanza

Hamburgers by Gourmet

Good Tyme Charlie's on the 2nd floor of Sharpstown.

Gabby's BBQ

Luke's Hamburgers (They may still be in Pasadena but they were throughout Houston)

Winn's Variety Stores (They were competitors of TG&Y)

Sommer's Drugs

Have these already been mentioned?

Edited by Ron4tx

Don's Record Shop in Bellaire

Peppermint Park

The Sizzler

Bonanza

Hamburgers by Gourmet

Good Tyme Charlie's on the 2nd floor of Sharpstown.

Gabby's BBQ

Luke's Hamburgers (They may still be in Pasadena but they were throughout Houston)

Winn's Variety Stores (They were competitors of TG&Y)

Sommer's Drugs

Have these already been mentioned?

Gabby's is still alive and kicking.

Has Don's closed? Sad to hear, if it has.

Wow... you're behind the times. Don's has been closed for several years, perhaps even for a decade or more. Partly because no one was buying vinyl records and partly because he was at the age where he wanted to do something else.

And yes, that is sad... don's was a real treasure.

I met Don and Betty when I was 18 years old. Hadn't seen them in ages, I was out of town for about 13 years. In 1996 & possibly 1997, my husband and I bought some great CD remasters of a lot of the old vinyl albums I'd loved. So, he was still catering to the Oldies. At that time, he said they were about ready to retire, but there were plenty of clients when we were there.

I hope they are doing well, very nice people and a boon to the community.

I believe that Don Janicek died a few years ago. I'm trying to look it up on the Chronicle archives.

I found it.

DONALD "DON" HOWARD JANICEK, born July 26, 1933, passed away October 27, 2002 at age 69, after suffering a massive heart attack. Don was best known as the Founder and Owner of Don's Record Shop in Bellaire. Don was a Charter Member and Past President of The Bellaire Southwest Rotary Club, and a recipient of the Paul Harris Award. He was a Past Board Member of the Belliare Chamber of Commerce and member of Holy Ghost Catholic Church.

Edited by Alpha

I met Don and Betty when I was 18 years old. Hadn't seen them in ages, I was out of town for about 13 years. In 1996 & possibly 1997, my husband and I bought some great CD remasters of a lot of the old vinyl albums I'd loved. So, he was still catering to the Oldies. At that time, he said they were about ready to retire, but there were plenty of clients when we were there.

I always enjoy reading your personal insights and experiences, WestUNative, you're an asset to the HAIF forums.

"I always enjoy reading your personal insights and experiences, WestUNative, you're an asset to the HAIF forums."

Ron4Tx,

You are so kind to say that. Sometimes I feel people don't really want to hear all my little remembrances, but I find this venue so exciting and the posts spark that "return to yesteryear." Houston is so different than other large cities in its still relative youth to have come so far so fast. Living there from 1941-2000, with a minor hiatus or two, my life encompassed the witnessing of amazing changes.

I also credit much of my vast experience to my family. We were very much pro-active, do it all, see everything when perhaps others stayed at home. The Aunt I speak of so often was a wonder, we learned from her that if you were aware of problems, you must attend, do not complain about what the officials or government were not doing. On Saturdays, we'd go to the grocery store, fill the car with milk jugs and loaves of bread and head over to the Projects near JD Hospital. She, my cousin and I would hop out and run from door to door delivering the goods. No organization was involved, no collections were taken, strictly out of pocket, but to her the right thing to do.

She also, as I stated elsewhere, started the Homebound Teachers programs and later insisted on setting up a school at Florence Crittendon Home for Unwed Mothers. She taught them all, every subject from 7th grade through 12th. Each year she held a fancy "Tea" at her house and transported her girls to parade through the front door. The neighbors were in shock, at the time one never acknowledged the existence of these creatures.

Excuse the digression, but through my family and what I learned from them, I too tried never to let an experience or an interesting sight pass me by, it has been a full life with many, many memories.

.... Sometimes I feel people don't really want to hear all my little remembrances, but I find this venue so exciting and the posts spark that "return to yesteryear." Houston is so different than other large cities in its still relative youth to have come so far so fast. Living there from 1941-2000, with a minor hiatus or two, my life encompassed the witnessing of amazing changes...

Piffle!! I'm another native Houstonian (3rd generation), and I love hearing everyone's stories about historic Houston. My grandfather rode out the great storm of 1900 in the Boliver lighthouse, and my dad was born here in 1933. I came into the world in '64 and grew up in the 'burbs. Because of that, I didn't really have a close attachment to downtown until I started working there after college ('88). Since then my interest in Houston history has grown, and I've really - REALLY - enjoyed these forums. Thanks to all who contribute!!

(speaking of contributing, I had planned to take some pics of downtown today - but the weather is terrible...)

...and to keep on topic - the only (interesting) past shopping places I remember from my youth was a cool record shop in Popolo Village (corner of Stuebner Airline/1960). ..oh, and the Dairy Queen not far from our house...

Glad to hear Spanky's is still open, I don't venture on that side of town too often, unless I'm going to Kelley's country cookin.

I'll have to disagree with the TG&Y thing though. TG&Y what a great 5 & 10 growing up. Which was bought out by the AMES stores, not AIM, 2 different deals. Had one in Baytown. I actually have a TG&Y light bulb that still works. <_<

The first entry was correct. Aim was a new division of TG&y started in 1983. It was short lived though with only 16 locations Nationwide.

TG&Y was owned by Household International until 1986 when it was purchased by McCrory,s who immediatly sold of the larger TG&Y family Centers and AIM Dept, Stores. They eventually started converting the small 5&10 stores to McCrorys who finnally went bakrupt and they are no longer.

I worked for the TG&Y as a General Manager of a TG&Y Family Center until 1985 and helped open the AIM stores officially known as "AIM FOR THE BEST"

• 5 weeks later...

July 21 1969 The Houston Post

Globe Shopping City

Gulfgate. exit 8 next to Frizzell Pontiac

5300 North Shepherd at Donovan

Bellaire Blvd at Hillcroft

Eastex Freeway at Langley road

975 Gessner at Katy road

Baytown: 1700 Decker drive

Pasadena: Southmore at Tatar

Edited by Marty

July 28 1969 The Houston Post

Furniture Oddsville

1801 San Jacinto

Bill Shotwell appliance warehouse

9441 Almeda-Genoa Rd.

Southland Hardware is it still open?

1822 Westhiemer

Edited by Marty

In that edition of the Post, are there any ads for Weiner's? If so, what are the locations?

I'm trying to figure out when the Weiner's int he hidden Valley Shopping Center on the North Freeway was built. The shopping center itself opened in 1969, but I think the Weiner's was added a year or two later as part of an expansion.

What about this area?

If your talking about Globe's at Southmore and Tatar it just has a phone number GR 3-6271

If you are talking about other stores in that area Ill post some when i got more time.

Edited by Marty