1920 Travis St. Photo and close ups

Very nice! ... Spotted the Post Bldg. 1st pic. On the rt. corner. Nice arch.

Oliver's Music, 2nd pic. (saw that in a 1926 Directory, recently)

Boston Chocolate, Eureka Laundry, Bristol Hotel, Majistic ? Cafe ( with an I)? It's blurry.& Sherwin- Williams (with the round dripping paint sign?)

Excellent.  So in the top left picture, that would be Milby Hotel on the left and the Houston Post building on the right.  The Bristol Hotel was both the tall building in the right background and the shorter, darker-colored building in front of it.

Very nice! ... Spotted the Post Bldg. 1st pic. On the rt. corner. Nice arch.

Oliver's Music, 2nd pic. (saw that in a 1926 Directory, recently)

Boston Chocolate, Eureka Laundry, Bristol Hotel, Majistic ? Cafe ( with an I)? It's blurry.& Sherwin- Williams (with the round dripping paint sign?)

Neat pictures.  Everytime I see a Sherwin-Williams sign with a can of red paint coating the world I think "global environmental disaster".  I didn't realize the logo was that old.

• Like 1

Check out the Iris Theater sign in the bottom right photo.  It looks like it features a giant eyeball, as in EYE-ris.  

On the lower right there is what appears to be a newsboy carrying a bundle of papers out of the Houston Post building.  

• Like 1

The Majestic Theater in this photo was not the fantastic Majestic movie palace we all remember. The one whose sign is seen in this photo predated that one. The Italian Renaissance style movie palace opened in 1923 on Rusk just a few doors down from the one at Travis and Rusk.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to add these to Historypin.com for Houston. 

Do you have a source or citation on these photos? Are they public domain?

It's from the UofH digital Libarary at: http://digital.lib.uh.edu/collection/p15195coll2/item/194

It's in the public domain, 2nd to last item in the description. Feel free to use my cropped

photos if you would like.

• Like 1