Memorial City Mall History

sttombiz

you know what the heck ever happened to this place? it used to be in the second story of memorial city mall. before or after it was called kids kingdom, it was called jungle gym. the entrance to the park was from the food court by way of a massive stair case. I just remember memorial city mall walling up the entrance and building a blimpe outside of it. when I was a kid I always wondered if the stair case was still behind that blimpe. does anyone know what happened to it?

and the answer is not exhilarma or whatever arcade they have on the other side of the food court now because that was always there. they just made it smaller with the expansion and addition of lord and taylor or what is now jc penny.

the other arcade used to located next to picadilly (where the new theater is being built), it was demolished to make way for the sears expansion in the mid 90s.

just wondering if there is still a mystery stair case behind what is now probably a sbarro

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Needing information about the mall from the late 60's/early 70's.

Anyone here remember the "Mini-Mall" located on the east side by the old movie theater?

I remember it had a record store and a store that sold blacklight posters.

I was young at the time but no one I talk to remembers the Mini-Mall.

Anybody with more information on the Mini-Mall??

THANKS!

Needing information about the mall from the late 60's/early 70's.

Anyone here remember the "Mini-Mall" located on the east side by the old movie theater?

I was young at the time but no one I talk to remembers the Mini-Mall.

Anybody with more information on the Mini-Mall??

THANKS!

The Mini Mall that I remember was at Town & Country - right outside of Joske's (later it was Dillard's.) It had a few stores - one was The Berry Tree.

Sam Goody and Spencers, and I think both are still there, just not in the original locations.

I remember the mall was decorated with huge simplistic flowers hung on the walls.

Sam Goody and Spencers, and I think both are still there, just not in the original locations.

I remember the mall was decorated with huge simplistic flowers hung on the walls.

It wasn't a Spencer's (yet). They sold alot of blacklight posters distributed from Houston Blacklight Wholesale Dist.

The record store wasn't a Sam Goody's, long before they came to Houston.

Thanks for all replys!!

• 3 months later...
It wasn't a Spencer's (yet). They sold alot of blacklight posters distributed from Houston Blacklight Wholesale Dist.

The record store wasn't a Sam Goody's, long before they came to Houston.

Thanks for all replys!!

Does anyone else have memories of the Mini-Mall at Memorial City Mall?

Thanks again!

The Mini Mall that I remember was at Town & Country - right outside of Joske's (later it was Dillard's.) It had a few stores - one was The Berry Tree.

and I just recall a small theater at Town & Country where we saw Disney's "Tron"

very strange film. Courtesy of 101 KLOL circa 1982. :wacko:

Do you mean the stand alone theathre at T&C that was facing 8 ? If that is the one... I remember is being really stinky inside <_<

Does anyone remember at Memorial City way way way back in the day the Monkey wards and the jewlery store that was close by ? That was a really good jewlery store, the were selling old stock really cheap at one point ( I got alot of late 60's charms in the mid 80's for next to nothing) Oh and the weird fabric store they had... I think the name of it was the Golden neede ? My mom used to drag me in there...

Do you mean the stand alone theathre at T&C that was facing 8 ? If that is the one... I remember is being really stinky inside <_<

That's probably why we won FREE tickets to the movie!

The owners must have known the end was near.

• 7 months later...

You really have to put your thinking caps on for this one. It was next door to the hot dog on a stick place which is still in existance today http://www.hotdogonastick.com/frames.html

You could get ice cream next door on a stick...you could get nuts on the suare ice cream if you wanted. I always had mine dipped in chocolate. It was in the old area before the mall was remolded where millers outpost was and the olf visiable changes location...

anyone remember this place?

sorry I did not mean to post this in the wrong location...I will post in the correct forum...sorry!

I know exactly the place you're talking about--I thought it was the same store as the corn dog place?

Located conveniently across from the Chess King and another cheesy disco-y clothes place.

Seriously, I used to get the chocolate dipped with nuts. Are you sure it was separate from the corn dogs? I seem to remember the striped hats and outfits were the same at both. On the other hand, eating corn dogs at the mall in high school was only on account of a certain special kind of munchies.

They had one at Sharpstown too. If you're jonesing for one, go to Costco, they have vanilla bar on a stick, hand dipped and rolled in nuts. Just like the old days. Its $1.50. I get it every time I go to Costco.

oh my gosh...chess king...wow! forgot about that place.

it was by Carosel also...that bad new wave type clothing store...z-cavericies and zodiak shoes.

I really think it was a separate store...but it was right next door. I see the hot dog place still exists (not in Hosuton) but does the ice cream store still somewhere????????

Do NOT dis' on the Zodiac shoes. I bought 3 pairs of the same kind of Zodiacs back in the 80's because I would keep wearing their cheaply built arses out! I am trying to locate a picture that unfortunately IS in existance, of ME wearing them.

Do NOT dis' on the Zodiac shoes. I bought 3 pairs of the same kind of Zodiacs back in the 80's because I would keep wearing their cheaply built arses out! I am trying to locate a picture that unfortunately IS in existance, of ME wearing them.

OMG! Please, please tell me that you have a picture with Zodiacs AND you're wearing a Members Only jacket in the popular plum color!! ;):lol:

(my Zodiacs were the ladies tan suede knee boots with fringe and high heels. Bought at the Carousel in Memorial City. See kids: just say no to drugs.)

You really have to put your thinking caps on for this one. It was next door to the hot dog on a stick place which is still in existance today http://www.hotdogonastick.com/frames.html

You could get ice cream next door on a stick...you could get nuts on the suare ice cream if you wanted. I always had mine dipped in chocolate. It was in the old area before the mall was remolded where millers outpost was and the olf visiable changes location...

anyone remember this place?

sorry I did not mean to post this in the wrong location...I will post in the correct forum...sorry!

It has to be this place. The girls wore these cool striped puffy hats? The lemonade was soooo delicious and the cheese-on-a stick was killer. Seemed like they were in every mall in Houston too.

Why in the heck did they leave?

22299237_76bb1cc405_m.jpg1245588843_42bf02707c.jpg

OMG! Please, please tell me that you have a picture with Zodiacs AND you're wearing a Members Only jacket in the popular plum color!! ;):lol:

(my Zodiacs were the ladies tan suede knee boots with fringe and high heels. Bought at the Carousel in Memorial City. See kids: just say no to drugs.)

I am trying VERY hard to locate that pic. I just saw it like 3 weeks ago. No member's only jacket, but I may be wearing either a Coca-Cola shirt, or a Generra brand.

That's the place, alright.

The cheese was nasty but I loved the corn dogs.

I couldnt help but notice that the girls that worked at those places always seemed to be in a daze or something? They were like in a trance like the orginal Stepford Wives film. Maybe that comes from punching a register all day and after a while everyone looks the same.

I really do miss these kinds of campy establishments remind me of the classic film - Fast Times At Ridgement High's mall scene's. Spicollie would have pigged out here. :lol:

I really do miss these kinds of campy establishments remind me of the classic film - Fast Times At Ridgement High's mall scene's. Spicollie would have pigged out here. :lol:

Speaking of Fast Times, my circa 1981 Long John Silvers uniform was almost as bad as the spoof version Judge Reinhold wore in the film. And while I'm not saying I personally was involved, ahem, there was often a simple (and sort of illegal) explanation for the dazed and vacant looks on the teenagers that worked in those kinds of places. Just sayin' B):P

The hot dog place is still around...but o ice-cream.

I looked on the companies website to see if they ever sold ice creams and I could not find anything. I am 100% they had a wall between the two...I really think it was different ten the place next door withthe puffy hats!

I had an idea. Try calling the management office at memorial City, they may have an old list of businesses that were EVER in that mall. It is worth a shot. I would explain to them where the space was and they can look up the booth number and look to see who has ever done business there.

The hot dog place is still around...but o ice-cream.

I looked on the companies website to see if they ever sold ice creams and I could not find anything. I am 100% they had a wall between the two...I really think it was different ten the place next door withthe puffy hats!

It has to be Anne's Old Fashioned Ice Cream, one is open here in San Antonio.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived