The Warehouse District

cloud713

Our Warehouse District is pretty small. I don't know if the area north of I-10 (Hardy Yards), was ever considered to be apart of it, but they had a really cool warehouse that was torn down a few years ago. I don't have the photo anymore with the full warehouse, got this off of my Facebook and cropped out my friend.

fm3rs8.jpg

Which "boom" would that be?  If its the 1970s-1980s then this boom is a shell of that one... but if you're talking about the smaller booms of the 90s and early 2000s then this is a much bigger boom.  That's just my observation.

I'm talking the big one.  The one that ended in the early 80's.  I've heard tales of all the stuff going on in Houston at the time.  Given world-wide demand and how fracking is still ramping up I wonder if this one will exceed that one in terms of longevity and development.

Yeah I agree. I've only lived in the Houston area since '89 but id say this one is without a doubt the biggest since the early 80s boom.

Edit: just saw the second page. This one may last about as long as the boom in the late 70s-early 80s, but I think were too conservative now to put up the amount of development that went up in that boom. I've hear like half of the downtown towers were built in that boom. Don't know how much truth there is to that.. There were multiple supertall proposals though back then if I'm not mistaken.

current building numbers aren't even close to what it was in the late 70s and early 80s. in sheer numbers, or in percentage over current. There's a website out there that has those numbers in SF.

as far as our warehouse district, it's always been a hip little area, but it's just so small. there isn't a lot of room for it to grow at all. There also isn't room for it to go from a hip location to an upscale type thing, not so long as the jail is right across the street.

Sorry, used the wrong tense. I didn't realize though that it was any sort of recognized "district". I think it also may suffer from relatively restricted access, which may make it tough to develop as any sort of entertainment focused neighborhood. It's not really bad as it is, tucked away off the bayou.

You used the right tense, and the right voice - subjunctive.

current building numbers aren't even close to what it was in the late 70s and early 80s. in sheer numbers, or in percentage over current. There's a website out there that has those numbers in SF.

This. That boom lasted from 1973, when OPEC began its first embargo following the Yom Kippur war, until 1981, when OPEC's second embargo ended and prices began to plummet. It carried over a bit as it took years to register that it was a permanent drop.

In 1973, the tallest buildings downtown were One Shell, Humble, and Tenneco, unless I'm forgetting one. The last boom era building was Texaco Heritage, completed in 1987.

Ah i misread; you were listing the tallest buildings downtown that were there before the boom.

Nevertheless I would be curious to see what the overall makeup of that boom was. It was mostly before I was born, so I didn't experience it. 

I would think there was also a lot of demolition downtown during that time as well, unless most of that was done in the 50s and 60s.

You used the right tense, and the right voice - subjunctive.

Deep respect to anyone who recognizes the subjunctive voice.

Anyway, this boom seems a lot more focused on multifamily residential.  Back in the 1970s there was a ton of money floating around and getting invested in spec real estate.  What killed a lot of projects in the 1980s wasn't just the collapse in oil prices, it was also that the S&L crisis evaporated a lot of the money that might have gone into funding all of those proposed supertalls.  After 2008, and with new rules requiring banks to hold more capital, I think money is still tight for spec projects.  The business cases have to be rock solid now, which wasn't necessarily always the case.  

Nevertheless I would be curious to see what the overall makeup of that boom was. It was mostly before I was born, so I didn't experience it.

I would think there was also a lot of demolition downtown during that time as well, unless most of that was done in the 50s and 60s.

Massive increase in the metro pop. percentage-wise, affecting all sectors of the economy. Huge outward expansion of the suburbs - almost nothing beyond beltway 8 existed before it.

There was demolition downtown, though just continuing a long process and only taking a few singular landmarks. The historic district was largely spared.

When looking over that timeline, it's pretty clear that boom really started well before 1973...  3 highrises were built downtown in 1971 (by which I think they mean completed in 1971).  5 more in 1972.

One Shell Plaza

801 St. Joseph

Total Plaza

1111 Fannin

600 Jefferson

Two Shell Plaza

Hyatt Regency

One Allen Center

KBR Tower

Two Houston Center

Centerpoint Energy Plaza

Pennzoil Plaza

Pennzoil Plaza

Two Allen Center

LyondellBassell Tower

Three Allen Center

Enterprise Plaza

First City Tower

Binz Building

Fulbright Tower

600 Travis

Four Houston Center

Wedge International Building

1400 Smith

Bank of America Center

Wells Fargo Plaza

Lyric Center

1301 Fannin

1600 Smith

When looking over that timeline, it's pretty clear that boom really started well before 1973...  3 highrises were built downtown in 1971 (by which I think they mean completed in 1971).  5 more in 1972.

One Shell Plaza

801 St. Joseph

Total Plaza

1111 Fannin

600 Jefferson

Two Shell Plaza

Hyatt Regency

One Allen Center

KBR Tower

Two Houston Center

Centerpoint Energy Plaza

Pennzoil Plaza

Pennzoil Plaza

Two Allen Center

LyondellBassell Tower

Three Allen Center

Enterprise Plaza

First City Tower

Binz Building

Fulbright Tower

600 Travis

Four Houston Center

Wedge International Building

1400 Smith

Bank of America Center

Wells Fargo Plaza

Lyric Center

1301 Fannin

1600 Smith

Let's do a comparison/forecast to/for the current boom (new-build high rises in italics)  I did not include Capitol Tower, International Tower, or 5 Allen Center

. . .  2016 is going to amazing:

SkyHouse

Savoy rebuild/Holiday Inn

Carter Bldg rebuild/JW Marriott

1111 Travis

500 Crawford (not a tower, but still part of the boom)

Block 334 (Alliance; again, not a tower)

Texaco Building rebuild

609 Main @ Texas

Marriott Marquis

Hines Market Square

6 Houston Center ?

Marquette Place

Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites

Hilton Garden Inn

Hotel Allesandra

Leon Capital 5 story

Orion 8 story

Nau Center

GRB North Garage/Office/Retail

HSPVA

1600 Louisiana

One Market Square?

Block 98

Market Square Tower

Camden 21 story

Trammel Crow 6 story

Houston office construction was ramping up before 1973 due to ongoing consolidation of the domestic oil industry here, but the 70's-80's "oil boom" did not begin until the embargo of 1973:

1396px-Oil_Prices_1861_2007.svg.png

Houston office construction was ramping up before 1973 due to ongoing consolidation of the domestic oil industry here, but the 70's-80's "oil boom" did not begin until the embargo of 1973:

1396px-Oil_Prices_1861_2007.svg.png

It's interesting (to me anyway) that the real price of oil declined slightly during WW2.  Since oil, or lack thereof, was a major economic factor during the war and considering the massive disruptions caused by global conflict I'm surprised the price didn't rise.  Was that due to price controls, perhaps?  Or was the market not international enough for US prices to follow world prices?

It's interesting (to me anyway) that the real price of oil declined slightly during WW2.  Since oil, or lack thereof, was a major economic factor during the war and considering the massive disruptions caused by global conflict I'm surprised the price didn't rise.  Was that due to price controls, perhaps?  Or was the market not international enough for US prices to follow world prices?

Good question. I'm sure there were price controls and rationing - I know they even limited how many tires you could buy in one year.  They built the Big Inch and Little Inch pipelines during the war, so there was a big increase in supply, but I'm sure every drop was used.  Probably a lot of asterisks next to figures from that era.

Good question. I'm sure there were price controls and rationing - I know they even limited how many tires you could buy in one year.  They built the Big Inch and Little Inch pipelines during the war, so there was a big increase in supply, but I'm sure every drop was used.  Probably a lot of asterisks next to figures from that era.

A big part of Japan's expansionism was to get to sources of oil in the East Indies and our embargo of them basically provoked Pearl Harbor as much as any single event. They were a big purchaser of US crude at the time, so switching what was previously their consumption to wartime needs along with domestic rationing really upended what any normal market dynamic would have produced.  The price of oil was more or less centrally controlled at the time, and I'd like to know more about how it was handled, but the short answer is that the Allies ended up controlling what they needed, the Axis powers did not.

Also, what is left of the market is going to do very strange things when a good portion of the shipping lanes, production fields and refining centers of the industrialized world are in active war zones.

Gasoline was rationed during WWII. Cars were given an allocation based on what they were used for, with the majority limited to 4 gallons a week, the A ration. B rations were 8 gallons a week. The big issue was tires, which were simply unavailable for most drivers.

Archived