SoDo On Main: Multifamily At 1625 Main St.

lockmat

No don't spread the love! Too many vacant lots still in downtown!

I'd rather see something that's not identical - at least if we're going to get twin towers lets get some quality.  SkyHouse is ...well....residential towers are seldom worth a darn when it comes to design.

I'd rather see the Hines Museum District tower across from SkyHouse and see SkyHouse #3 (or #2?) over in the Museum District for some contrast on the skyline.  That's all I'm saying.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recall discussion of a $2 billion foreign-financed real estate development a couple months ago. We may yet see a crescendo in this wonderful display of development we have going.

One of my vendors said he has heard of these discussions for six months. Hopefully they're still in talks.

• 1 month later...

Are they seriously moving the crane and everything from one skyhouse to the next? Skyhouse river oaks is almost done, and I think skyhouse river oaks started right after skyhouse Houston.

They haven't broken ground at the site yet, still a working parking lot.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind seeing two identical Skyhouses next to each other, but any more Houston Skyhouses built after this should be elsewhere in the city.

Like Skyhouse Gunspoint?

I hope Skyhouse Main is the last. Too many of these is not a good thing. If Novare wants to keep going fine, but give us some variety please.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/hands-off-houston-tries-carrot-to-lure-downtown-dwellers-1419958122

Thus far, demand and rents have exceeded the company’s projections. The tower, which also has a rooftop pool, barbeque grills and offers yoga classes, is about 45% rented— a number that is increasing quickly, he said.

Apartments there rent for about $2,600 or more for a two-bedroom and $1,650 or more for a one-bedroom, a comparable level to new development in other parts of Houston. Mr. Borders, too, said he likely wouldn't have broken ground without the tax breaks.

“We’re very bullish,” said Mr. Borders, who is planning a second tower across the street.

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 6

Currently estimated to break ground on January 4th, 2015.

I think my source was wrong on the date since the lot is still easily accessible. As of January 3rd, 2015, the only change I noticed was this "Reserved Parking" sign at one of the lot entrances.

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I know people are starting to dislike SkyHouses (I still want to see that 3rd SkyHouse design built elsewhere in the metro), but it's pretty nice to see how bullish Novare has been on Houston. Even amidst falling oil prices. Back to back to back SkyHouses... I wonder if they are using the same crane for all 3 and just moving it from site to site? I would assume they are using the same construction crew.

• Like 3

this company doesn't seem to play the usual construction games!  they don't seem to venture through the normal red tape measures that other development company's get caught up in.  could this be the product of magnificent management or what.....

• Like 2

Well let's be honest. There's $15,000 times like 323 units or so.. That's a lot of money to be left sitting on the table. If they don't build this, they don't get the incentives. If they had built both downtown towers first and the River Oaks tower was supposed to come 3rd I wonder wether they would of still moved forward..

• Like 2

$15,000 per unit is a lot to leave on the table. It kind of makes you wonder why more of the developers didnt start building their projects sooner. I think I remember seeing on here earlier that they have to finish construction within 4 years of being approved for the incentive to receive the money, so some of these delayed projects might not make it in time.

• Like 2