SoDo On Main: Multifamily At 1625 Main St.

lockmat

"Bland" = "infill."

There have been plenty of infill projects that are not bland. :P

Do you define infill as the the bland buildings inbetween the better designed ones, or as low & mid rise projects that "fill in" between taller structures?

Edited by Montrose1100

I do not know if the design will be the same, but I heard similar layout

Maybe it'll be green also! Would be nice if they gave it another floor or 2 also, but regardless great work yet again on getting some great information!

This conversation should probably be split into a new downtown SkyHouse thread.

Id probably rather they be exactly identical if they're gonna be side by side. Unless they can pull off a King & Queen tower combo like some developer did off the loop in north Atlanta. I just don't see that happening with these though.

King-Queen_000.jpg

And yeah. Maybe this should be merged with the SkyHouse 3 thread?

Edited by cloud713

I would say one Skyhouse is enough, not something I want to see made a replica of.  I'm praying we move onto better things.

we just need to allow for the cement to "weather" itself.  trust me, it shall indeed grow on you.  it did me...

One more Skyhouse means one less tower by another developer, perhaps one that we've been waiting for. The market can only take so many.

While I agree with your statement, it is also true that the development trends in downtown Houston, along with the incentives, are no secret. Any developer who was prioritizing downtown Houston has had ample opportunity to secure land and build over the last 4 years. Some have. Others have dallied.

I am not a skyhouse fan but I would rather see a second one built in short order than look at countless other developer renderings inside repeated press releases that discuss what folks "plan" to do all the while the "planned" construction start dates slip another quarter.

Downtown needs resi. Two groups will fill those spaces. The young and the empty nesters. Sky house competes for the young. Other properties compete for the empty nesters.

• Like 1

While I agree with your statement, it is also true that the development trends in downtown Houston, along with the incentives, are no secret. Any developer who was prioritizing downtown Houston has had ample opportunity to secure land and build over the last 4 years. Some have. Others have dallied.

I am not a skyhouse fan but I would rather see a second one built in short order than look at countless other developer renderings inside repeated press releases that discuss what folks "plan" to do all the while the "planned" construction start dates slip another quarter.

Downtown needs resi. Two groups will fill those spaces. The young and the empty nesters. Sky house competes for the young. Other properties compete for the empty nesters.

Well said, esp. the last point.

I cannot find a recorded conveyance on Block 368 in the real property records. The last Warranty Deed I found was to Southwest Bank, N.A. (now known as Amegy Bank, N.A.) back in 2002. 

Looking at similar areas, I did find a Deed for Block 90 at 720 Rusk from 720 Interests Ltd. to a "Houston Level Office Investors, Inc." Currently, I only see lowrise offices at that street address.

I cannot find a recorded conveyance on Block 368 in the real property records. The last Warranty Deed I found was to Southwest Bank, N.A. (now known as Amegy Bank, N.A.) back in 2002.

Looking at similar areas, I did find a Deed for Block 90 at 720 Rusk from 720 Interests Ltd. to a "Houston Level Office Investors, Inc." Currently, I only see lowrise offices at that street address.

It could be under contract and awaiting due diligence, including soil samples.

• Like 1

It could be under contract and awaiting due diligence, including soil samples.

That's true. From the small sample size I have seen, a "sale" is typically announced only after closing (in legal terms, I consider the "sale" to  occur when the sales contract is signed as that is when the buyer can enforce specific performance against the seller to convey the property).

There have been plenty of infill projects that are not bland. :P

Do you define infill as the the bland buildings inbetween the better designed ones, or as low & mid rise projects that "fill in" between taller structures?

Yes

What brijon said.

• Like 1

Since small starchitecture and ugly skyscrapers both draw attention to themselves, I don't really see them as infill.  What I had in mind is something that more or less just blends into the background - for example, Two Shell (at least until whatever remuddling is afoot takes place).

• Like 2

Since small starchitecture and ugly skyscrapers both draw attention to themselves, I don't really see them as infill.  What I had in mind is something that more or less just blends into the background - for example, Two Shell (at least until whatever remuddling is afoot takes place).

Okay, so even the smaller, better designed/aesthetically pleasing (not necessary Pritzker Prize winners), that add space and flow in between attention grabbing taller & bigger structures are infill. Just wanted your personal elaboration. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Edited by Montrose1100

• 1 month later...

From what I heard, this will be another skyhouse, similar in design and height. It supposedly will start somewhat soon. Please take this with a grain of salt, not confirmed, but sounds promising... I know lockmat said he thought the next skyhouse was years out, not sure what to make of that and the info I just got.

The attached is from the Development List for Buildings in Houston - March 2014 Thread

"I just spoke with a manager at Skyhouse 1, who confirmed that Skyhouse 2 downtown is in the works. In fact, she mentioned that they received permitting last week, and it is projected to break ground mid-2015 and be completed sometime in 2016. Lets keep our fingers crossed."

- Grizzly46

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 1