Salt Grass Trail Ride And Go Texan Day Memories

braeburn legend

Indeed I do remember. My first year for the Salt Grass trail was 1956, I will never forget the first year. As usual it turns really cold when the  trail rides began. In Branham we were parked next to a gentleman in a 55 Buick. He ran his car all night sleeping in the back seat to keep warm. The next morning about six as we were getting up his car ran out of gas. When we were leaving that morning we saw him and a couple of his friends pushing the big Buick toward the road. later when I got older I belonged to the Go Texan Trail Riders Assoc. We rode the Salt Grass a couple of times with them. I have also rode the Southern trail ride and the Brazoria County ride. I might add that we eat good too.

post-11998-0-76560600-1405100779_thumb.j

post-11998-0-57376900-1405100781_thumb.j

post-11998-0-25516400-1405100784_thumb.j

post-11998-0-21534600-1405100787_thumb.j

post-11998-0-02137500-1405100789_thumb.j

post-11998-0-16662900-1405100791_thumb.j

post-11998-0-08947500-1405100792_thumb.j

Uh, they came IN to Houston for the rodeo parade.

I have memories but they really do date me.  I remember seeing the parade where Roy Rogers was featured.  I was in elementary and have not bothered to research what year that might have been so please don't 'surprise' me.

I also remember The Cisco Kid and Pancho. 

We did not have money by any means but somehow my folks managed to buy me a pair of boots when I was about 10-11 AND they let me ride the bus from N. Main to downtown (Shoppers Special for 5 cents) so I could walk to the Coliseum for the rodeo.  I was under 11 because we moved from N. Main when I was 12.

Can you imagine anyone letting an 11 year old walk on Main Street Houston today?

Ah, yes... back when schools closed for Go Texan Day, and the big name entertainment consisted of the likes of The Cast Of Bonanza getting driven around the floor of the Coliseum in the back of a pickup, waving at people.  People actually came for the rodeo itself.

Ah, yes... back when schools closed for Go Texan Day, and the big name entertainment consisted of the likes of The Cast Of Bonanza getting driven around the floor of the Coliseum in the back of a pickup, waving at people.  People actually came for the rodeo itself.

And we weren't so P.C. that we were able to call it the "Fat Stock Show."

• 2 weeks later...

Uh, they came IN to Houston for the rodeo parade.

I have memories but they really do date me.  I remember seeing the parade where Roy Rogers was featured.  I was in elementary and have not bothered to research what year that might have been so please don't 'surprise' me.

I also remember The Cisco Kid and Pancho. 

We did not have money by any means but somehow my folks managed to buy me a pair of boots when I was about 10-11 AND they let me ride the bus from N. Main to downtown (Shoppers Special for 5 cents) so I could walk to the Coliseum for the rodeo.  I was under 11 because we moved from N. Main when I was 12.

Can you imagine anyone letting an 11 year old walk on Main Street Houston today?

When did they (the Salt Grass Trail riders) stop coming into Houston? Not more than a decade ago -- a mere blink or the eye! -- I saw a horse-drawn wagon on the feeder of the Gulf Freeway, inbound, at about Lockwood. It couldn't have been anything else than the trail riders. Then I passed them and left them behind and drove on to work. But what a thrill to see them, just moseying down the feeder!

I didn't know that the Salt Grass Trail Ride had stopped coming into Houston for the parade.  Has it?  My earlier response was to blue92's question "So no more trail rides out of Houston?".  To my knowledge, the trail rides did not ever depart from Houston.  They've always come into Houston from near distant parts of the state.

I do remember that in about 1960-61, I was attending San Jacinto Senior High School and one of my classmates, a girl, was excused from class for about a week to take part in the Salt Grass Trail Ride.  Her whole family participated.  What an adventure that was for her!  At that time, there not so many different trail rides as today.  She was what was termed a tomboy and horses and "ranch life" were a big part of her life. 

'

I didn't know that the Salt Grass Trail Ride had stopped coming into Houston for the parade.  Has it?  My earlier response was to blue92's question "So no more trail rides out of Houston?".  To my knowledge, the trail rides did not ever depart from Houston.  They've always come into Houston from near distant parts of the state.

I do remember that in about 1960-61, I was attending San Jacinto Senior High School and one of my classmates, a girl, was excused from class for about a week to take part in the Salt Grass Trail Ride.  Her whole family participated.  What an adventure that was for her!  At that time, there not so many different trail rides as today.  She was what was termed a tomboy and horses and "ranch life" were a big part of her life. 

'

Do you remember her name? I graduated from San Jac in 1963 and we too made the trail ride.

In the late 1970s I went to a now gone school at North Shepherd near Crosstimbers. A trail ride (can't remember which one) would come down Shepherd on its way to Memorial Park and we would be let out of class to watch it go by. Always a lot of fun.

When did they (the Salt Grass Trail riders) stop coming into Houston? Not more than a decade ago -- a mere blink or the eye! -- I saw a horse-drawn wagon on the feeder of the Gulf Freeway, inbound, at about Lockwood. It couldn't have been anything else than the trail riders. Then I passed them and left them behind and drove on to work. But what a thrill to see them, just moseying down the feeder!

The trail rides still come into Houston! However, I'm not sure that they still spend the Friday night before the parade in Memorial park. I know that the Salt Grass spends Thursday night at Bear Creek Park, but not sure if they spend Friday night there too, and then trailer the horses into downtown for the parade.

I rode with the Rednecks in the early mid 70's, after I came back to Houston being gone for years I looked for that old SeaHorse newspaper that always had the ride dates and information for the up and coming month. Like everything else it was long gone, recently I looked at an image out there at Bear Creek Park remembering a few very nice rides that camped there over the weekend, the original road is no more than a small path now beside the new highway.  I have a very hard time finding anything in Houston that I remember. 

• 3 years later...

I can remember living off of Cedar Lane, now Blalock in the 50s and the Salt Grass Trail would come up Campbell Road (the original SGT).  We saw Gene Autry, Hugh O'Brien, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans and a host of stars ride up to the Rodeo.  Have many wonderful pictures with these stars along with my sisters and best friend.

• The title was changed to Salt Grass Trail Ride And Go Texan Day Memories

Archived