Mixed-Use Development At 7200 Main St.

Urbannizer

• 1 month later...

these illustrations, remind me somewhat of RIVER OAKS DISTRICT, before it was scaled back enormously.  shall houston's current economy support such an ultra ambitious development?  upon my most honest opinion, it's quite groovy.  however, an enormous / glamorous fantasy......

• Like 2

these illustrations, remind me somewhat of RIVER OAKS DISTRICT, before it was scaled back enormously.  shall houston's current economy support such an ultra ambitious development?  upon my most honest opinion, it's quite groovy.  however, an enormous / glamorous fantasy......

Of course this is most likely on-hold/cancelled, but I believe at some point this was an actual proposal in-development.

I'm not sure why a development like this in this area would be considered a risk. It's near the med center... so no worries about oil prices, there is nothing like this around, and you have a huge swath of young med professionals with money to spend that want housing nearby. Plus, the connection to the bike trail would be a big selling point.

• Like 2

Ditto, Nate.  I do not have realistic expectations for removal of any of the concrete, but steps can be made to improve functionality and aesthetics.  Hopefully someday there is an initiative from the medical center - makes sense given its potential as a bike route for the area.  In its current state its certainly usable but the stretch through the med center itself is pretty unappealing.  I've taken a stroller on the lower path a few times but given the homeless under the bridges and the tendency towards sloping into the bayou (particularly under the bridges) it's not that great.  The upper trail is poorly paved in some areas and has awkward crossings @ both points along N Braeswood

West of Kirby or so (well, past the water treatment plant) there is more of a park-like element given the trees along the banks, and I know towards Hermann Park the trails are quite nice

• Like 1

I sure hope Brays bayou is next up after Buffalo. It wouldn't have to be on a major scale like buffalo, but at least get rid of the concrete and maybe make it more open park-like with a trail with less thrills than buffalo.

Unfortunately, I don't think the concrete is going anywhere any time soon.

Where on Brays Bayou are you referring to?  Trails have already been installed from at least from Gessner to MacGregor Park.

Project Brays

Bayou Greenways - Brays Bayou

• Like 1

I sure hope Brays bayou is next up after Buffalo. It wouldn't have to be on a major scale like buffalo, but at least get rid of the concrete and maybe make it more open park-like with a trail with less thrills than buffalo.

Even with the concrete, something like this would be incredible at the edge of the water:

http://www.citylab.com/design/2014/11/cleaning-up-urban-waterways-with-manmade-islands/382820/

• Like 2

These guys have held this land for decades at this point, while adding some parcels over the years.  They appear to be in no rush...  If I recall correctly they held the land for Springwoods Village for nearly 50 years though the situation isn't completely comparable.  I was just hoping for some activity by the Super Bowl in 2017 but it appears that's not in the cards

I'm still betting on an awesome development here someday until I see a for sale sign

• Like 2

I did some more digging on "Project Brays" today and finally realized that they are widening the channel one segment at a time heading west...  Lidstone to Calhoun is apparently about to start, followed by Bertner to Buffalo Speedway which is going to start early next year (Project Brays website is outdated).  I found a document from 2004 stating that retaining walls would probably be used nearly Main & Kirby (can't find link now)

Here's an excerpt from the Braeswood Place newsletter from earlier this year:

Project Brays: At the January meeting of the Brays Bayou Association, I talked to Gary Zika, Project Brays Program Manager, with regard to the widening of the Brays Bayou channel through Braeswood Place. He said that originally the plan was to widen the channel from Bertner Street in the Texas Medical Center to Buffalo Speedway. The plan now is to extend the widening a distance of 2200 feet west of Buffalo Speedway to the outfall on the south bank at the foot (north end) of Bevlyn Street. The Bevlyn outfall is a natural break point and is a good location to end of this phase of the project. Gary estimated start of construction will begin in about a year and will then take a year to complete. There are some obstacles to overcome, particularly with regard to loss of a number of trees due to widening the top of the bank by 25 feet. There are several "memorial" trees that will have to be dealt with as well as the small park on the north bank east of the West University waste treatment facility at Kirby. However, HCFCD will utilize its tree program following this phase of the project and replace any trees lost during construction. Bridge replacement is not part of this phase of the project.

So the good news is this will almost assuredly mean new, cleaner trails.  Bad news is loss of some mature trees and...we'll still have the concrete.  No fancy dog parks just yet 

• Like 3

@Okie,

I've heard from a super neighborhood member that the bridges will be rebuilt as a second initiative and that funding was just secured. They were very excited because we should be getting much nicer trails and bridges that don't have columns underneath to allow faster flow of water and no debris to get caught. Bike trails will also go under the bridges to keep us bikers from having to get in traffic. Apparently it has been funded to Stella Link. Should we get another thread going for it? I'd love to find more official information about it. As you said, project brays website is unfortunately out of date.

• Like 6

@Okie,

I've heard from a super neighborhood member that the bridges will be rebuilt as a second initiative and that funding was just secured. They were very excited because we should be getting much nicer trails and bridges that don't have columns underneath to allow faster flow of water and no debris to get caught. Bike trails will also go under the bridges to keep us bikers from having to get in traffic. Apparently it has been funded to Stella Link. Should we get another thread going for it? I'd love to find more official information about it. As you said, project brays website is unfortunately out of date.

If the bridges wind up like the new Cambridge St bridge that would be awesome.  Unfortunately, in their current state bridges like Kirby/Buffalo Speedway/etc have extremely narrow sidewalks - OK (but probably a bit harrowing) for a single runner, but that's about it

Hopefully the new bridge design would be somewhat less attractive to the homeless.  I swear one dude under the Greenbriar bridge (I think) has a full set of furniture down there.

I'm all for a new thread, surely someone on here is more in the know than we are

I did find the link to that more detailed study on Project Brays here

• Like 2

Hopefully construction will not shut the trail down for too long. I depend on the trail for most of the places I bike to.

Hopefully the new bridge design would be somewhat less attractive to the homeless.  I swear one dude under the Greenbriar bridge (I think) has a full set of furniture down there.

I seen the guy with a couch, end tables, and a radio.

His neighbour from a few bridges down has a grill.

15383707989_109910bc2e_b.jpgIMG_1430 by Not.Larry.Dierker, on Flickr

Interesting that they have no home but all the touches of home. Perhaps they used an exterior decorator? :P

Dude, rent is expensive!

I did some more digging on "Project Brays" today and finally realized that they are widening the channel one segment at a time heading west...  Lidstone to Calhoun is apparently about to start, followed by Bertner to Buffalo Speedway which is going to start early next year (Project Brays website is outdated).  I found a document from 2004 stating that retaining walls would probably be used nearly Main & Kirby (can't find link now)

Here's an excerpt from the Braeswood Place newsletter from earlier this year:

Project Brays: At the January meeting of the Brays Bayou Association, I talked to Gary Zika, Project Brays Program Manager, with regard to the widening of the Brays Bayou channel through Braeswood Place. He said that originally the plan was to widen the channel from Bertner Street in the Texas Medical Center to Buffalo Speedway. The plan now is to extend the widening a distance of 2200 feet west of Buffalo Speedway to the outfall on the south bank at the foot (north end) of Bevlyn Street. The Bevlyn outfall is a natural break point and is a good location to end of this phase of the project. Gary estimated start of construction will begin in about a year and will then take a year to complete. There are some obstacles to overcome, particularly with regard to loss of a number of trees due to widening the top of the bank by 25 feet. There are several "memorial" trees that will have to be dealt with as well as the small park on the north bank east of the West University waste treatment facility at Kirby. However, HCFCD will utilize its tree program following this phase of the project and replace any trees lost during construction. Bridge replacement is not part of this phase of the project.

So the good news is this will almost assuredly mean new, cleaner trails.  Bad news is loss of some mature trees and...we'll still have the concrete.  No fancy dog parks just yet 

What is the point of the widening? Same reasons they did it for Buffalo Bayou?

Dude, rent is expensive!

What is the point of the widening? Same reasons they did it for Buffalo Bayou?

From what I've read Project Brays as a whole (including the widening and some new detention basins upstream) is supposed to remove most of the 100 year (1%) floodplain from homes and businesses along Brays Bayou.  Large areas of pricey real estate (including portions of West U) and the Med Center are currently in the floodplain, and based on the timing of this I would guess there was a push for something after TS Allison

• Like 2

From what I've read Project Brays as a whole (including the widening and some new detention basins upstream) is supposed to remove most of the 100 year (1%) floodplain from homes and businesses along Brays Bayou.  Large areas of pricey real estate (including portions of West U) and the Med Center are currently in the floodplain, and based on the timing of this I would guess there was a push for something after TS Allison

Not just that, but all our drainage bayous are undersized for the increased flow we're getting from all the development out west, Katy and beyond. Add to that a ground surface that's sinking due to subsidence. Plus, there's a drive now to reintroduce habitat and naturalize bayou flow paths. There's always going to be concrete in the lowest portion of the floodway (like Buffalo and White Oak Bayous near Heights), but they may bench above that with just dirt. Widening is going to depend a lot on the surrounding development, though, and they may have to concrete-line more of the bayou in areas where they can't widen it as much.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...