Mixed-Use Development At 7200 Main St.

Urbannizer

Hmmm, my random internet sleuthing may have turned up something on this...

It looks like 7200 Main Corporation purchased the Saint Nicholas School land in late December - I believe this was the last remaining parcel that would give them the full area as depicted in the renderings.  I'm not great at understanding the various documents but a search on the county clerk website yielded the following:

oZxdkgF.png?1

I took the following screen cap from the "Main Place at Greenbriar" plat map from the 1/23/2014 planning commission meeting which shows the land in question:

tldQC0e.png?1

I've recently noticed a lot of survey markings and some holes dug up on the side of Main along this stretch - I assume it is just coincidental since they continue up Main towards Holcombe, but who knows

Wow so I am an architecture student that is not familiar with the Houston area, and was so looking forward to using that site for a potential use for my Comprehensive Design Studio. Thanks for the information.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Saint Nicholas School FB page -

SAINT NICHOLAS III 

DEVELOPMENT 
Taeken, Ltd. is purchasing a 46.82 Acre tract on South Main next to the Menninger Clinic for the purpose of developing a new campus for Saint Nicholas School, in the midst of a nature related multi-use and multi-generational community. It is a wooded tract with a planned lake and nature theme. Nature trails, biking, and golf cart paths are planned, according to Margot Heard, General Partner. CDA Architects, Ray A. Duerer, President, are the architects for the project.
THE SCHOOL
The anchor school site will be developed on 25 acres with a planned building of 38,000 sf, including a gym and chapel. The classrooms will have individual courtyards. The planned enrollment is 375 students through middle school. The school is designed to be small for personal attention and quality of teaching. 
The main school garden will be based on the 18th century English gardens, a ferme ornee, or “ornamented farm”. This farm concept is classical from Roman times and Thomas Jefferson took these ideas from English gardens to Montecello.
The school will have fields for elementary and middle school students for soccer, baseball, softball, lacrosse, track and field, and cross-country. The gym will provide space for basketball, ballet, tennis, and martial arts. Facilities can be made available to other private schools and homeschool groups. 
The chapel will seat 250 and will be designed to support a Choir School of students and faculty in the English tradition. Daily sung services will be available to the community. A pipe organ is being designed and built for the chapel by Fritz Noack in Andover, Massachusetts. The organ will have a glassed interior wall with walk-through space for students, organists, and visitors to see the working parts of the organ. Only one other organ in the world, located in the Netherlands, is known to have this feature.
CONDOMINIUM AND SINGLE FAMILY HOMES
A developer will offer mid-rise Condominium space with valet parking, package handling, and other personal services. Single family townhomes will offer garden layouts, playgrounds, pools, and a pet park.
MULTI-USE SPACE
Multi-use space will be available for restaurants, professional offices, retail, and multi-family. Included will be a small indoor Farmer’s Market featuring fresh produce and eggs, as well as Certified Grassfed Beef from the Lazy A Ranch, from both British White and Akaushi cattle. Cooking demonstrations and activities will be offered. 
Currently in design, the project is scheduled to open the new Saint Nicholas School campus on or before December, 2018. Saint Nicholas School currently operates at 1920 N. Braeswood in the Texas Medical Center. Information about the school is available at SNSchools.com.

Sounds like the school is definitely moving, and will be part of some unknown (?) new mixed-use development further down South Main

Edited by OkieEric
  • Like 9

An article from Feb. 2014, tells us the history of this property. It also mentions that vertical development is highly likely. 

On January 23, 2014 the Houston Planning Commission approved a replat of 8.4 acres along Main Street between Pressler and Greenbriar into a single parcel in preparation for redevelopment this year. The parcel now known as Main Place does not include the St. Nicholas School property, yet it is still perhaps the largest undeveloped site in the Texas Medical Center (TMC) area. This tract was originally part of Braeswood (Section 1a) and was graced by several architecturally significant homes dating from the 1920s and 30s. These homes were demolished one by one over several decades after the deed restrictions lapsed in the 1950s. One of the last of the great homes to fall was most recently used to house the old Red Lion Pub at 7315 Main Street. Sadly, the building was heavily damaged by a fire in the early 1990s and could not be saved. The last building to come down was The Stables Restaurant at the corner of Main and Greenbriar in 2007. Years ago, the northern end of the tract also housed the Shamrock Movie Theaters and the heli-pad for the old Shamrock Hilton Hotel. The land is now owned by CDC Houston, the company that is also developing a large scale housing project next to the new Exxon campus in the Woodlands. CDC’s Keith Simon says that the company is considering various combinations of uses for the site such as ground floor retail and a hotel, but there are no definite plans at this time. In an article in the Houston Business Journal in 2006, the former owner anticipated that the eventual sales price of the land would result in developers going vertical with residential or medical buildings.

http://208.131.147.23/oldbraeswood/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/OB_Feb2014_News_Final.pdf

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Some more detail on this in a recent HOK publication - nothing new in terms of those renderings (despite the super-imposed image of downtown instead of the medical center!), but the 2nd page has some additional description about their concept

https://issuu.com/hoknetwork/docs/hok_master_planning__landscape_arch/126

jfGYBMh.png

0C52jlD.png

• Like 5

• 9 months later...
5 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Update: A request has been made to abandon the dead-end stretch of N Braeswood.

http://swamplot.com/n-braeswood-dealing-with-abandonment-issues-as-saint-nicholas-school-preps-to-move-south/2017-02-21/

imagejpeg

imagejpeg

Is street abandonment a long process?  Just curious as to the motivation to do it now when the school isn't moving until 2018.  Does a developer typically have to reveal anything regarding the plans as part of this process?  Just thinking back to Museo Plaza and the plans to abandon Palm.  I suspect there won't be much push back from the community on this one

• Like 3

The City has a nice flowchart on the process.  If everything goes at full speed, the City believes the process should take 194 days (a bit more than 6 months).  My experience when dealing with the City is to double whatever timeframe they provide to budget time for those who might delay abandonment in order to get a settlement from the party seeking abandonment.  A link to that flowchart is below:

https://edocs.publicworks.houstontx.gov/documents/divisions/ecd/jrc/flowchart_abandonment_sale_of_right_of_way_and_alleys.pdf

So, I think it is wise to get the ball moving long in advance of whatever project one seeks to do.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

National Autism Awareness Month is commemorated with educational events throughout April. The developmental disability can cause social, communication and behavioral challenges, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Abilities of people with autism may range from severely challenged to highly gifted. Here are some facts from the CDC and the Texas Autism Society about autism: 

The post What you need to know during National Autism Awareness Month appeared first on Community Impact Newspaper.

View the full article

It seems that you always hear " on the spectrum" when talking about autism.

With 1-68 children being diagnosed within that spectrum, it's not unlikely that each of us encounter ( unknowingly or not) someone with autism.

i am glad  there is a campaign. To raise awareness.

• 9 months later...

Not much of an update, but apparently the school has delayed it's move due to construction delays on their new campus - planned move is May 2019

There are a handful of new survey markers that cut across the property at the end of Glen Haven but who knows what that could mean.  I was hoping we'd get a glimpse of something with the N. Braeswood abandonment process but can't find anything on that, either

New nearby developments include new HCC building, Latitude & Intercontinental, new Allen Harrison South Main building (just to the south), and A&M buying 1020 Holcombe for it's EnMed program.  Plenty of activity nearby, so hopefully something eventually happens here

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

Any updates to this one?

Permits were issued for the new school along south main earlier this week.

http://www.cohtora.houstontx.gov/ibi_apps/WFServlet.ibfs?IBIF_webapp=/ibi_apps&IBIC_server=EDASERVE&IBIWF_msgviewer=OFF&IBIAPP_app=soldpermits&IBIF_ex=sold_permit_d&CLICKED_ON=&PN=17025148&PT=13

Project No: 17025148
Date : 2018/05/09 00:00:00
USE : (EPR) 38,OOO SQ FT NEW SCHOOL 1-1-2-E/A3
Owner/Occupant : *ST. NICHOLAS SCHOOL
Job Address : 12115 MAIN ST 77035
Valuation : $ 7,200,000
Permit Type : 13
FCC Group : Schools & Other Educational Bldgs
Buyer : MICKELIS LESLIE
Address : 12320 BARKER CYPRESS 60213 77429
Phone : (713) 539-3143
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

Some sort of permit issued here regarding filling and grading - have to wonder if it’s related to new floodplain regulations effective Sept 1 as I know net fill rules become more restrictive

Project No: 18098972
Date : 2018/08/24 00:00:00
USE : FILL AND GRADE ONLY
Owner/Occupant : *KEITH SIMON, 7200 MAIN CORPORATION
Job Address : 7200 MAIN ST 77030
Valuation : $ 0
Permit Type : PX
FCC Group : Structures Other than Buildings
Buyer : *TBD
Address : 7200 MAIN ST 77030
Phone : (512) 501-4323
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://communityimpact.com/?post_type=local-news&p=409733

The Saint Nicholas School temporarily relocated to 3507 Linkwood, Houston, as of June 3, according to a statement from the school. Its property at 1920 N. Braeswood Blvd., Houston, was acquired by 7200 Main Corp. in 2015, along with adjacent parcels. The pre-kindergarten through eighth grade private school is slated to move into a new campus in 2021.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Not much to report, but a couple of permits have been issued:

PROJECT_NO  
image.png.736fc2eaf3f7aa4a0224da3d9721bdf0.png
PERMIT_DESC  
image.png.9401b9de9772bea1a98d1f499f2a82bc.png
OWNER_OCCUPANT  
image.png.2dce28d1358ef182eba06c8565ae7a1e.png
Address  
image.png.1a713dd19cbbf33d3ce1a4957029fed7.png
PROJECT_DESC  
image.png.df2294f39d9e080f1b0b675291f6e59f.png
CURRENT_VALUATION  
image.png.ab1fb85d35faa6cceeab1d4bbe57b8ff.png
PERMIT_TYPE  
image.png.43b788eb2d9f139eb5fdc3950777b39f.png
Plan Review Fee
*KEITH SIMON, 7200 MAIN CORPORATION
7200 MAIN ST 77030
SITEWORK: FILL & GRADE, STORM DRAINAGE 2012 IBC
PX
WW Utility Admin
*KEITH SIMON, 7200 MAIN CORPORATION
7200 MAIN ST 77030
WATER/WASTE WATER APPLICATION (00030610) REVIEW
WT

The fill & grade permit was approved on 7/3/19, and the water/waste water application was submitted on 7/17/2019.  Not thrilling but at least some activity...  For such permits to be issued/approved, would they require an actual plan for development?  I've wondered what impacts the post-Harvey flood regulations may have on this property, and noticed that the fill&grade permit was submitted just before they took effect.  The thread on the Holcombe & Main Property got me curious on this one again

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Hospitals employ lots of doctors. Those doctors usually have offices close to their working hospital or who they're affiliated with and hence doctors, clinics or specialty practices have their facilities in them. Hospitals usually have their administrative offices in the towers also, so it wouldn't be odd for the need for  more office space in a booming med center especially with the growth in research and related fields.

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 4

I wonder whats being seen in the market that these types of projects, ones that have been kind of sitting around for a while, are beginning to move forward in Houston? And then you have stuff like the Skanska purchase. Maybe Houston has gotten further enough away from being absolutely, totally oil-industry dependent that fears of a recession's effects have lessened? Some of my commercial real estate bros said the current building rate is what they remember from 06-07, and I was like, errr not great comparison given some people's current fears, lol.

Regardless, this looks crazy. But its also a testament to TMC's vision. Isn't this exactly the type of stuff they said they wanted to have built on that Looped In podcast? If they build everything but that huge tower, its still a massive W compared to what was there. 

• Like 3

Ellen, you are right to be cautious. Nothing has been defined and I believe that is just a rendering for a proposal. I don't think anything has been announced yet and  I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic. It would be a great location for such a development, and it certainly wouldd extend the Med Center's southern skyline, however it wouldn't fill in the gap between midtown and the Med center.

But if Texas A& M goes ahead with their campus at Fannin/Main and Holcombe, and the TMC3 goes into construction, and this project gets built it will be a huge metamorphosis for the southern end of the med center campus, and definitely a game changer. Then they could start devouring the Grocers Supply east side property of 55 acres on the 288 Holcombe side.

• Like 6

This might have been the original site for George Dentler's Pier 21, 60's restaurant and club somewhere amongst those palm trees if memory serves.

His father made a very popular potato chip back in the day. Dentler Maid.

Does anyone remember this?

• Like 3