Urbannizer

Mixed-Use Development at 7200 Main

cloud713    3,580

Mixed use development in the medical center? That main tower is huge! Supertall? Could this be that big mixed use project we've been hearing about?

cloud713    3,580

this reminds me of a grand mixed use development in China or something. maybe because the cross-bracing and shape of the main tower look similar to this.. the Ghangzhou West Tower

878752-Large.jpg

Edit: i did some counting on the rendering.. i counted at least 50 floors, not including the base/podium or the top 5 or so floors in the "crown" which im not sure are habitable floors. even if its not a supertall, this would be like the Williams Tower of the TMC.

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 2

Subdude    1,308

Wow, this would be an amazing addition to the Medical Center neighborhood.  I think a large retail/restaurant component could be a big hit in that area.

• Like 1

arche_757    669

I would be very surprised if that is a supertall.  More likely an 800-900' building.  Look no futher than Uptown for the extreme height differences between the Williams Tower and all the 20-30 floor buildings around it.

Still quite interesting.  Hopefully this has traction, but...well... back to being pessimistic

Looks very conceptual.  I like the pedestrian path that "spills" onto the bike/hike trail along the bayou.

Edited by arche_757
  • Like 1

houstontexasjack    1,227

That would be very, very neat. I am curious as to whether the proposed height restrictions in the medical center are accurate. I have always thought that might be something of an urban myth (similar to the Texas Commerce Bank building being limited to 75 floors by the FAA) and that there just has not been demand by hospitals to build anything taller.

lockmat    1,965

I think it only looks conceptual because it looks so awesome and we are not used to it. Looks like an East Asian project. Looks more like a finished product to me.

• Like 3

cloud713    3,580

This project impresses me and makes me have faith in HOK.

Dare I say this one could be a "game changer"? Lol

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

nate4l1f3    495

I wonder how much this beauty will be scaled down at the end of the day?  That tower would look great downtown.

Not trying to be negative.. just don't wanna get my hopes up :)

Montrose1100    2,741

Well the renderings make the bayou look like some fabulous inner city canal with steps leading down the banks like that river in India.

It's an odd location, but will add to the skyline immensely.

brijonmang    4,135

The Transbay Tower is coming to Houston?

That is an ambitious master plan, but it looks great.  Hopefully we can get some more info on this before too long.  Thanks for all the updates today Urbannizer!

• Like 3

arche_757    669

Its a wonder taller buildings haven't happened all ready in the TMC.  Not saying we should have a bunch of 50 story towers, but surprised the height hasn't been pushed upwards due to the density and lack of available land  in the TMC proper.

• Like 2

cloud713    3,580

The site.. As I was driving into the city from 288 I was realizing how massive this will look if it happens. You'll probably be able to see it from highway 6.

The school on site was still advertising for enrollment..

CEBAD983-6C7A-4C88-9B4F-BC7C8DE33F63_zps

A1FE28A4-AD4B-4994-AB3D-FF49CCA8CC65_zps

1D0281DD-C0FA-4489-AC6F-D9BF1D0E2480_zps

Edited by cloud713

Subdude    1,308

Its a wonder taller buildings haven't happened all ready in the TMC.  Not saying we should have a bunch of 50 story towers, but surprised the height hasn't been pushed upwards due to the density and lack of available land  in the TMC proper.

You are absolutely right.  I thought the same thing.  Technically I don't think this land is part of the Med Center.  It's easy to imagine a cluster of tall buildings adjacent to the shorter skyline of the Med Center, like the highrises in Arlington Va by low-rise Washington.

As an aside, what's with the glow emanating from the top of the tower in all the renderings.  It looks like a giant flashlight. 

bobruss    3,095

Well the renderings make the bayou look like some fabulous inner city canal with steps leading down the banks like that river in India.

It's an odd location, but will add to the skyline immensely.

Its the closest available land to the med center. Thats not an odd location at all. Its right next to several med center buildings The Shriners hospital is right across the street.

arche_757    669

If that tall building happens it will be like Transco was to Uptown - and still is.

I'm still quite suspect... until I see some announcement about this happening I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

OkieEric    452

I think the school actually owns its land still - in 2008 it shows a change to "Taeken Ltd" whereas all of the other parcels are 7200 Main Corporation.  I could be wrong though

I live in Old Braeswood and would be thrilled if this is built, maybe because I'm not going to be in the shadow.  Not sure all of my neighbors would agree, though.  The area south of TMC really needs something to kick start it and wow, this would be it. 

I've been tracking this plot for a couple of years now so excited to actually see a rendering of some sort.  Even if this isn't what gets ultimately built at least it shows some ambition

• Like 1