Mixed-Use Development At 7200 Main St.

Urbannizer

I'm not sure why people think this is a "supertall"?  Doesn't that mean 300m +?  In other words a building the size/height of JP Morgan Chase Tower?  1000' + in height?

This thing appears to be about 50 floors tall (did a really rough count on two of the renderings).  I'm betting 800-900' as shown with the crown.

Even if this gets built and everything is only 20 floors tall, this will still be a very nice project for an area such as the TMC.

And I think height for hospitals has been held at around 15-25 floors for cost purposes.  But there is almost zero available land in the TMC left - at least the actual zoned TMC areas (which like Subdude I feel this is probably just outside of that area).

• Like 1

No bs surface parking, no extra streets trying to create something that isn't there. This is pedestrian focused from the word go! 

I'm not seeing this as pedestrian-oriented.  My guess is that the entire low-rise podium structure and the small structure at Main and Greenbriar would be for parking, which in turn makes me think the unconnected tower on the Greenbriar side is planned residential, and the rest office and hotel.  All that said, this still strikes me as conceptual.  A project of this scope - like Allen Center downtown - would take years to develop out. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure why people think this is a "supertall"?  Doesn't that mean 300m +?  In other words a building the size/height of JP Morgan Chase Tower?  1000' + in height?

This thing appears to be about 50 floors tall (did a really rough count on two of the renderings).  I'm betting 800-900' as shown with the crown.

Even if this gets built and everything is only 20 floors tall, this will still be a very nice project for an area such as the TMC.

And I think height for hospitals has been held at around 15-25 floors for cost purposes.  But there is almost zero available land in the TMC left - at least the actual zoned TMC areas (which like Subdude I feel this is probably just outside of that area).

yep, you are right.. 300 meters. i originally threw out "supertall" before i counted the individual floors of the tower (i got around 60, counting the podium and the crown). if it gets built, this will likely be about the same height as Williams Tower.

• Like 1

I count about 52 floors on top of a 3 story podium, with an 8 story crown. Using Transbay Tower as a model (which I'm sure HOK did) to predict height, this bad boy is probably going to be in the 900'+ range!

A large chunk of the land (I think excluding the parking lot on the north end and the school on the south end) is owned by 7200 Main Corporation, which is also Coventry Development Corp. 

• Like 2

pg. 125 of this document

http://issuu.com/hokmarketing/docs/tall_buildings___portfolio

On pg. 128 you can zoom in and make out a few store names so definitely some sort of retail component

Edit:

Just googled again and 7200 MAIN MIX-USE DISTRICT, Houston, TX, U.S comes up on a LinkedIn profile as something a summer intern worked on in 2013 at Gensler, not HOK?

Edited by OkieEric
  • Like 2

pg. 125 of this document

http://issuu.com/hokmarketing/docs/tall_buildings___portfolio

On pg. 128 you can zoom in and make out a few store names so definitely some sort of retail component

Edit:

Just googled again and 7200 MAIN MIX-USE DISTRICT, Houston, TX, U.S comes up on a LinkedIn profile as something a summer intern worked on in 2013 at Gensler, not HOK?

The very fact that this building is listed in the HOK Tall Buildings "magazine" gives a lot more creadance to it than it simply floating around on here.  By the way good looks at the Chevron Tower + Shell Woodcreek + BP Emergency Respone/Computer Center in that document.  Worth scrolling through.

That linkedIn profile was for someone who was/had experience as a 2013 Intern for Gensler.  It is possible she also worked with HOK at some point.

That work presented in Issuu is not an Intern's work.  I was an intern for a big name firm once and believe me, while you may work on high profile projects the silly projects they give you after-hours are nothing like designing a multi-million square foot highrise center.

Edited by arche_757
  • Like 4

That tower looks at least 50, maybe 60 stories. It's difficult to count. The building right next to it is 35 stories and it's nearly double the height.

If built, I think this would be the most spectacular highrise in Houston - no contest.

Also, this site requested a variance back in January http://swamplot.com/developers-of-springwoods-village-working-out-kinks-for-something-near-the-med-center/2014-01-17/

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 4

What is that Mixed Use Development on Pgs. 136-37 of the HOK book in the link above? It looks a lot more conceptual (and thus much further from development), but the book did say that it was to be located in Houston.

Nothing serious. Pickard Chilton also has its conceptual renderings of this. It suppose to be an outline for a 50 year-plan. Metronational seems to be the client, I guess this means they will develop the area throughhout the years.

Pickard Chilton:

http://www.pickardchilton.com/mobile/urban_mp.htm

• Like 3

I want to be excited but then there's that whole let down when we never hear a word about the project again. If and I must emphasize IF this is built, it will be a wonderful and exciting piece of architecture that would more than likely spur some more interesting designs for Houston. Who knows this might even create a larger demand for buildings in the medical center! 

• 1 month later...

I recall this was posted up in "Going Up" back in July:

14655606441_918715e691_b.jpg

I am curious as to what near the TMC might permit such a tower to get built. It would be impractical as a hospital. I have heard the TMC wants to lure biotech and other private sector companies to the area. Might we see demand for such a tower from those sectors? 

• Like 1

Their aim is to bring more people that work there to live closer to there. Also they are really pushing to add more hotels and general walkability to the area. Large concentration type developments like this is a start. I fully see just a mixed use development to help diversify the area. Not everything that goes here has to be a hospital, Just like not everything has to be super tall in downtown, nor does everything in the galleria have to do with shopping. It's one the great hold overs from modernist planning, drastic separation of city functions, that is going to be the great fight in how we plan American cities in the future. Houston being the extreme case of this. I mean other than people having to stay late at hospitals....the area like our commercial districts becomes a ghost town after 5-6pm till 6-7am. That's a lot of wasted space which could be more diverse and multi-functional which is the direction that cities around the world are taking and so should we.

I'm sure there is a more refined version of this in the works as this is very much conceptual.

• Like 1

Their aim is to bring more people that work there to live closer to there. Also they are really pushing to add more hotels and general walkability to the area. Large concentration type developments like this is a start. I fully see just a mixed use development to help diversify the area. Not everything that goes here has to be a hospital, Just like not everything has to be super tall in downtown, nor does everything in the galleria have to do with shopping. It's one the great hold overs from modernist planning, drastic separation of city functions, that is going to be the great fight in how we plan American cities in the future. Houston being the extreme case of this. I mean other than people having to stay late at hospitals....the area like our commercial districts becomes a ghost town after 5-6pm till 6-7am. That's a lot of wasted space which could be more diverse and multi-functional which is the direction that cities around the world are taking and so should we.

I'm sure there is a more refined version of this in the works as this is very much conceptual.

That's a very good point. Just because it's the Medical Center" doesn't mean it has to just be hospitals. A nice mixture of office, residential and medical would be awesome.

It would be nice to see the tall tower be a supertall for condominiums, or at least the top portion where the floor plates are smaller.  It can be Houston's version of a John Hancock Center, but this one will be white with round corners, no antenna (would be nice with one though) and with a more dense exterior "X" frame.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...