Mixed-Use Development At 7200 Main St.

Urbannizer

this reminds me of a grand mixed use development in China or something. maybe because the cross-bracing and shape of the main tower look similar to this.. the Ghangzhou West Tower

878752-Large.jpg

Edit: i did some counting on the rendering.. i counted at least 50 floors, not including the base/podium or the top 5 or so floors in the "crown" which im not sure are habitable floors. even if its not a supertall, this would be like the Williams Tower of the TMC.

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 3

I would be very surprised if that is a supertall.  More likely an 800-900' building.  Look no futher than Uptown for the extreme height differences between the Williams Tower and all the 20-30 floor buildings around it.

Still quite interesting.  Hopefully this has traction, but...well... back to being pessimistic

Looks very conceptual.  I like the pedestrian path that "spills" onto the bike/hike trail along the bayou.

Edited by arche_757
  • Like 2

That would be very, very neat. I am curious as to whether the proposed height restrictions in the medical center are accurate. I have always thought that might be something of an urban myth (similar to the Texas Commerce Bank building being limited to 75 floors by the FAA) and that there just has not been demand by hospitals to build anything taller.

• Like 1

Its a wonder taller buildings haven't happened all ready in the TMC.  Not saying we should have a bunch of 50 story towers, but surprised the height hasn't been pushed upwards due to the density and lack of available land  in the TMC proper.

• Like 3

The site.. As I was driving into the city from 288 I was realizing how massive this will look if it happens. You'll probably be able to see it from highway 6.

The school on site was still advertising for enrollment..

CEBAD983-6C7A-4C88-9B4F-BC7C8DE33F63_zps

A1FE28A4-AD4B-4994-AB3D-FF49CCA8CC65_zps

1D0281DD-C0FA-4489-AC6F-D9BF1D0E2480_zps

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

Its a wonder taller buildings haven't happened all ready in the TMC.  Not saying we should have a bunch of 50 story towers, but surprised the height hasn't been pushed upwards due to the density and lack of available land  in the TMC proper.

You are absolutely right.  I thought the same thing.  Technically I don't think this land is part of the Med Center.  It's easy to imagine a cluster of tall buildings adjacent to the shorter skyline of the Med Center, like the highrises in Arlington Va by low-rise Washington.

As an aside, what's with the glow emanating from the top of the tower in all the renderings.  It looks like a giant flashlight. 

• Like 1

Well the renderings make the bayou look like some fabulous inner city canal with steps leading down the banks like that river in India.

It's an odd location, but will add to the skyline immensely.

Its the closest available land to the med center. Thats not an odd location at all. Its right next to several med center buildings The Shriners hospital is right across the street.

• Like 1

I think the school actually owns its land still - in 2008 it shows a change to "Taeken Ltd" whereas all of the other parcels are 7200 Main Corporation.  I could be wrong though

I live in Old Braeswood and would be thrilled if this is built, maybe because I'm not going to be in the shadow.  Not sure all of my neighbors would agree, though.  The area south of TMC really needs something to kick start it and wow, this would be it. 

I've been tracking this plot for a couple of years now so excited to actually see a rendering of some sort.  Even if this isn't what gets ultimately built at least it shows some ambition

• Like 2

14611875165_41565a1311_b.jpg

this particular concept look's as though it was PLUCKED right out of dubai, uae.  it's has clean lines, filled with hyper ambition, and would solidify the houston med center region.. as world class.  

• Like 1

I agree with my friend Arche that this building is definitely still in it's early stages, but it's clear what the concept is and hopefully it keeps it's form. The site plan is very bare so another sign that it is in early Design Development. I wouldn't be surprised if we see several plans for this site coming down the pipeline all looking a little similar, but with different towers and midrises. The biggest takeaway from this is that we are looking at a true Mid-use urban core. No bs surface parking, no extra streets trying to create something that isn't there. This is pedestrian focused from the word go! This could be the next phase of developments we start seeing as Houston matures as a city and more developers get bolder in their ideas of what is possible in Houston.

HOK used to be so daring as a firm and has lost a lot of it luster, but this Houston boom can really spark them to innovation once again.

As for TMC, I'm not aware of any height restrictions. I mean it's pretty unrealistic for hospitals to go super tall or even past 20-30 stories and most of those upper floors are usually offices. I wouldn't be surprised if we start to see a major change in philosophy about this surrounding area and it starts to take a life of it's own in a true urban context. All the resources are there to create it! It just needs a few more projects to kick it off.

As far as the main building. I really like it. I like it even more because the exoskeleton is very visible instead of being covered by a curtain wall like many buildings here, including that building that cloud posted.

Still a long way to go for this one lol It's a great start though :)

• Like 3