White Oak Music Hall At 2915 N. Main St.

Triton

I too can vouch that the renderings Triton shared with me did say Fitzgerald's on the front. No question about it.

Also, I find it strange that he Downtown stage view rendering hasn't surfaced. IMO that would be the rendering to release to really create a buzz in the media.

• Like 1

Other than the ice house, I think this design sucks. The venue looks like the horrible sheet metal townhouse in parts of midtown. Hopefully it turns out better than these renderings.

100% agree. The metal sheets make it look extremely cheap. If you squint your eyes they almost disappear and the design isn't too terrible. The wall gardens are a nice touch, but it's like putting 3 LED lights on top of Skyhouse.

Edited by Montrose1100

The metal siding is one of my favorite things about the design, especially since *so* much new construction in this town is bad historicism. This actually does reference something locally important, the metal buildings of the 60s and 70s.

These are early renderings though. It will all come down to final massing, proportions and detailing. 

• Like 1

So, who really owns the property? Pegstar doesn't own anything, and has a bad status with the State Comptroller. WOIH Partners, owns some of the lots, but I can't get all of it straight- the HCAD maps are pretty poor in that area. And, the Flood Control District has a bunch of acreage in the area.

I too can vouch that the renderings Triton shared with me did say Fitzgerald's on the front. No question about it.

My later re-reading of the news article indicated Pegstar is only temporarily in the Fitzgerald's space and that this is an entirely separate venue for them. They will vacate Fitzgerald's for this new place.

Other than the ice house, I think this design sucks. The venue looks like the horrible sheet metal townhouse in parts of midtown. Hopefully it turns out better than these renderings.

I've seen many concert venues and most of them suck. Some are not more than four walls and a roof. It's more what goes into it than what the outside looks like.

Correct... I've been a working musician for almost 30 years and have played in every kind of venue there is. live/showcase clubs don't give a rip about what their exterior looks like. Neither do the acts or those that come to see the acts. The club owners are there to make a profit, and in the club business, which can be very volatile, it's very difficult.

With a place of this size and scope Fitz' will be investing a ton of money on the interior, equipment, lights, etc, etc. I think it's going to be a great venue, and should be a great addition to the live music community in general.

I've seen many concert venues and most of them suck. Some are not more than four walls and a roof. It's more what goes into it than what the outside looks like.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went by here and saw the demo but the sign made me think that the concert hall may not happen because the sign said "Little White Oak Park" and " townhomes" plus the "For Sale" sign is still up. The demo is actually across the fence from the rest of the lot. Anyone know more?

I went by here and saw the demo but the sign made me think that the concert hall may not happen because the sign said "Little White Oak Park" and " townhomes" plus the "For Sale" sign is still up. The demo is actually across the fence from the rest of the lot. Anyone know more?

This is more of a village with a farmers market, an ice house, and then White Oak Music Hall, which has an indoor and outdoor stage. The reason that sign says townhomes is that before the recession, this property became the North Main Townhomes (a subdivision name) but the plan never visualized.

The concert hall plans are still changing on this project. They've changed the orientation of the outdoor stage to face away from I-45 and Germantown and there is a constant back and forth about the parking level.... that number is hovering around 500 to 600 parking spots. "The demo is actually across the fence" is land that they own and is the approximate location of the indoor stage (The blue lot below). They own all the property mentioned in the Swamplot article:

n-main-venue-site.jpg

http://swamplot.com/the-lonely-spot-east-of-the-heights-where-the-operators-of-fitzgeralds-are-planning-a-massive-new-concert-venue-complex/2014-08-05/

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

We all know on this website that when we see a porta potty, construction is most likely soon.

16634742452_d230e3e0a7_h.jpg

White Oak Music Hall by marclongoria, on Flickr

They also brought in a trailer-type storage unit on site as well (It's behind the eighteen-wheeler). I think this one is starting.

16609436366_f9a7741663_h.jpg

White Oak Music Hall by marclongoria, on Flickr

• Like 1

attachicon.gifParking Reserve 1.JPGReleased by City of Houston 4 days ago

Wow, I am shocked I forgot to post this here. I shared it with others. Anyway, this document is basically saying they did not receive city approval until the developer provides info about the width of the northwestern street. This plot of land is only parking lot though.