White Oak Music Hall At 2915 N. Main St.

Triton

• 3 weeks later...

any new update photos? so excited about this project! 

Yea I live right next to this, I'll take a photo tomorrow. They are basically working day and night on this now, especially a lot of work around the site. They're basically on the third floor and second floor appears to be fully there since the sunlight is no longer hitting the first floor.

• Like 1

i guess this is part of the reason why there will be large parking lots 

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2015/12/white-oak-music-hall-gets-incentive-from-city-of.html

The Houston City Council on Dec. 16 approved the reimbursement for public improvement costs. In exchange, the project will incorporate features for the community, such as extra parking for residents, school rehearsal space and a place for a farmer’s market, the Chronicle reports.

There will also be three parking lots to reduce on-street parking, and the developers will upgrade infrastructure such as sidewalks, landscaping, street lighting and the public sanitary sewer line, the Chronicle reports.

• Like 1

i guess this is part of the reason why there will be large parking lots 

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2015/12/white-oak-music-hall-gets-incentive-from-city-of.html

The Houston City Council on Dec. 16 approved the reimbursement for public improvement costs. In exchange, the project will incorporate features for the community, such as extra parking for residents, school rehearsal space and a place for a farmer’s market, the Chronicle reports.

There will also be three parking lots to reduce on-street parking, and the developers will upgrade infrastructure such as sidewalks, landscaping, street lighting and the public sanitary sewer line, the Chronicle reports.

Me and my neighborhood were actually pushing for the increased parking from Will Garwood (though, I was nothing of a leader of the initiative, Beth Lousteau was). I myself was pushing for a parking garage but they went with buying multiple properties around the area instead. Some may disagree with me here but this is a quiet neighborhood area at Glen Park just to the northwest. We can't accommodate an entire concert event, neither should we. If not a parking garage, then yes, I am fine with these parking lots. Most in my neighborhood think they should actually be larger! The belief that most people will be coming from rail is BS, especially after Metro killed the bus line through here. The light rail station is far worse than downtown when it comes to the people walking around there, with multiple business owners next to the station reporting incidents to HPD on a regular basis.

• Like 2

^I respect your position, Triton. I just wish more concerned neighbors would organize a targeted response like yours that requires parking for the major attractions that truly need it, rather than supporting blanket parking minimums that stifle walkability.

• Like 1

^I respect your position, Triton. I just wish more concerned neighbors would organize a targeted response like yours that requires parking for the major attractions that truly need it, rather than supporting blanket parking minimums that stifle walkability.

During the discussion with the developers, the superneighborhood pressed hard for increased parking since the city only states that the minimum for bars/clubs/lounges is "10.0 spaces for every one thousand square feet of GFA." Will Garwood did listen to what they said and added much more parking space than originally planned. Still, we'll see how this actually goes when the concert hall opens. I still imagine Glen Park and the Woodland Heights will be impacted no matter what. That's why there is politics involved in shutting down the North St bridge once the I-45 expansion begins... the Woodland Heights wants nothing to do with this development.

• Like 2

Any chance the parking lots could include a few trees (or better yet, a bunch of trees)?  We need more parking lots like the HEB Montrose Market's.

They've already built the parking lot along the bayou... all concrete. The other parking lot across the street looks to be the same. We'll see what happens closer to opening day.

yes... The Bridge Of Death guarded by the old man from Scene 24..

KEEPER
Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, ere the other side he see.

LANCELOT
Ask me the questions, bridge-keeper. I'm not afraid.

KEEPER
What is your name?

LANCELOT
My name is Sir Lancelot of Camelot.

KEEPER
What is your quest?

LANCELOT
To seek the Holy Grail.

KEEPER
What is your favorite color?

LANCELOT
Blue.

KEEPER
Right. Off you go.

LANCELOT
Oh, thank you. Thank you very much.

ROBIN
That's easy!

KEEPER
Stop! Who approaches the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, ere the other side he see.

ROBIN
Ask me the questions, bridge-keeper. I'm not afraid.

KEEPER
What is your name?

ROBIN
Sir Robin of Camelot.

KEEPER
What is your quest?

ROBIN
To seek the Holy Grail.

KEEPER
What is the capital of Assyria?

ROBIN
I don't know that! Auuuuuuuugh!

Bridge-of-Death-monty-python-and-the-hol

• Like 2

I know nothing about the topping-out procedure, but that tree seems a bit premature ??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topping_out

"In building constructiontopping out (sometimes referred to as topping off) is a builders' rite traditionally held when the last beam (or its equivalent) is placed atop a structure during its construction.

Nowadays the ceremony is often parlayed into a media event for public relations purposes.[1]

After topping out, numerous elements of construction remain, including interior finish and most mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topping_out

"In building constructiontopping out (sometimes referred to as topping off) is a builders' rite traditionally held when the last beam (or its equivalent) is placed atop a structure during its construction.

Nowadays the ceremony is often parlayed into a media event for public relations purposes.[1]

After topping out, numerous elements of construction remain, including interior finish and most mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems."

Thanks Hindesky - I actually went and looked up what "topping out" was after seeing your pictures....I had heard it mentioned on here a few times and should have looked it up sooner.

It doesn't look to me like they are anywhere near the "last beam" in construction though...

Edited by HoustonMidtown

So I'm guessing nothing is going to be done to that tower thingy and shed warehouse in the back?

Also, today, they have begun exterior work on the shed warehouse. They've cut oval-shaped semi-circles out of the steel (three, at this point) and appear to also be tearing down the inner-concrete to make giant windows for the shed. I'll snap a picture most likely tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

There are tons of really good pictures on KUEHNinc Facebook page of the progress and how the rooms and stages will be laid out on the interior. They've done most of the contract work up until now. Pretty sure this info was already posted on here. But if it hasn't, enjoy.

Edited by IamHouston
  • Like 2

Thanks! The icehouse portion is coming along. The recently named icehouse, The Raven Tower, is scheduled to open in a few weeks but I don't think it will open in time. I give it to February or March. Renderings of the bar is supposed to look once completed are posted above.

Yea clearly won't open in a few weeks. I'm thinking March.

My money is on March too. This looks to be such a cool space but I am so glad I don't live nearby because I don't think I could take the noise it'll bring. Living near Fitzgerald for a brief time was enough.

Yup that will be me.  :lol: The sound will be going right to the neighborhood. More worried about parking and traffic actually.