Jump to content

White Oak Music Hall At 2915 N. Main St.


Triton

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, kylejack said:

It's nothing personal, I just know that 5 years from now some rando is going to tell me "someone once fell off tower" because these rumors take on a life of their own. Just wanted to do what I could to set it straight for whoever is reading this thread years later.

 

In other Pegstar news, though, a Woodlands teen has died from tainted ecstasy at FPSF.

 

Pegstar is no longer running FPSF-  it's apparently been owned by Live Nation for several months now:

 

http://www.houstonpress.com/music/girls-death-leads-to-revelation-of-fpsf-ownership-change-8469705

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2016 at 4:45 AM, Urbannizer said:

The group behind WOMH has something planned for this site on Glen Park and Hyacinth. Subdivision plat dubbed "Coyote Acre" on the planning commission spreadsheet.

 

28550959592_c23c9175d1_h.jpg

 

Oh yea, thought I had mentioned it last year. Planned to be a nightclub/bar in the neighborhood. They've already applied and received a liquor license for here. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2016 at 4:45 AM, Urbannizer said:

The group behind WOMH has something planned for this site on Glen Park and Hyacinth. Subdivision plat dubbed "Coyote Acre" on the planning commission spreadsheet.

28550959592_c23c9175d1_h.jpg

 

TABC has a pending application for "Black Page Brewing Co." at 210 Glen Park Street. This would presumably be the site.  Craft brewers guild website has the same address:

https://texascraftbrewersguild.org/members

This would be pretty awesome to have this nearby the WOMH. One more reason to walk over from the rail.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, phillip_white said:

 

TABC has a pending application for "Black Page Brewing Co." at 210 Glen Park Street. This would presumably be the site.  Craft brewers guild website has the same address:

https://texascraftbrewersguild.org/members

This would be pretty awesome to have this nearby the WOMH. One more reason to walk over from the rail.

You are correct. Meant to post this the other week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.chron.com/business/article/Expiring-permit-puts-White-Oak-s-outdoor-concerts-9206163.php

 

Quote

City regulators are threatening to force the operators of White Oak Music Hall to halt a string of outdoor concerts scheduled for this fall if a new permanent stage isn't built in time.

W2 Development Partners and Pegstar Productions continue to promote and sell tickets for the open-air shows at White Oak Music Hall throughout October and November, despite the fact that their temporary permit to do so is void as of Oct. 5. The organizers say they plan to go forward in part by taking down the controversial temporary stage currently on the site, then re-erecting it and reapplying for the temporary permit.

"The stage will come down and it will come back up," developer Will Garwood said. "They have the latitude to say that it's safe or not. They can't say you can't take it down and put it back up. We have every right to have a concert on the stage."

He said the city will find the stage structurally sound and cannot deny the application.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And they told the community and local council members they would build a permanent stage when the time was right. Why don't they? That forces them to actually focus on the major parking issue in the area (it would require to meet city parking regulations), and it's only going to get worse for them once all the neighborhoods put permit parking in place. Not to sound cynical, but Will Garwood has plenty of connections within the city to have shows keep playing..

Edited by Triton
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having ridden past this venue several times in the past few months, it still blows my mind this was ever allowed to happen. I look at the bands coming through and think, if I owned a house in that area I'd burn that f***ing stage to the ground.

 

In The Woodlands you can hear concerts all the way in the back on some nights. I can't imagine how noisy this venue is in the heart of a neighborhood.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Nucleareaction said:

Having ridden past this venue several times in the past few months, it still blows my mind this was ever allowed to happen. I look at the bands coming through and think, if I owned a house in that area I'd burn that f***ing stage to the ground.

Well, in my view, this has still been a huge improvement over what was there... a vacant lot with literally two crack houses next to the Raven Tower. I couldn't even walk down the street without being hassled back then... but the noise level has obviously been intense and the Uber driver/parking situation has gotten out of hand.

 

Anyway, I still think it goes back to connections. They work with the city all the time, especially for major events like Free Press Summer Festival. The city even guaranteed they would improve the creek area for them in return for the tax revenue their place would generate and the potential to bring more development to the area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Triton said:

Well, in my view, this has still been a huge improvement over what was there... a vacant lot with literally two crack houses next to the Raven Tower. I couldn't even walk down the street without being hassled back then... but the noise level has obviously been intense and the Uber driver/parking situation has gotten out of hand.

 

Anyway, I still think it goes back to connections. They work with the city all the time, especially for major events like Free Press Summer Festival. The city even guaranteed they would improve the creek area for them in return for the tax revenue their place would generate and the potential to bring more development to the area.

 

I don't disagree with the improvement to the local area, the google map view is still a wasteland. A bayou path would be awesome, and other developments would surely help deaden the noise. But parking in that area (as mentioned) is a huge issue and any other development will for sure change the feel of the neighborhood from what it currently is - my opinion of "gentrification" is neutral.

 

At the end of the day, I think i would still feel pretty mad as a resident that a business with connections is able to operate a concert venue with legal impunity simply because of who they know. Thankfully, I don't live there and my area DID manage to get a local restaurant/Miami beach club setup to tone it down after dark.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I like WOMH, but the impact on the surrounding neighborhood is wrong and a double standard. I was at Raven Tower watching a band (it's covered but outside) and while looking to the left I saw an apartment with a mom inside her living room... probably less than 100ft away. If this development were a biker bar/rap club/you name it in a better-off neighborhood, you'd have this place shutdown in a matter of weeks. 

 

WOMH can coexist... but they'd have to turn the music down some and possibly stagger some events.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Yea guess I haven't updated anything here yet. There won't be a bar going into the neighborhood. It will be this brewpub and it's actually been planned to be a brewpub for quite a while. The Coyote Acre name actually has nothing to do with the type of place it is going to be but actually deals with the amount of sighted coyotes on this property. I've heard at least 4 coyotes (possibly a few pups) have been spotted here. Currently, there is only one other bar popping up... that being the volleyball bar across the creek next to their parking lot.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

There's also this nugget in Papercity magazine recently:

" They (Will Thomas and Will Garwood) also own four acres on the other side of the bayou from White Oak Music Hall and there are deals in place to bring a sand volleyball themed bar in partnership with GUS (Grown Up Sports) and a much more ambitious Les Givral’s restaurant along the water somewhat modeled after Austin’s beloved Mozart’s Coffee to that site. "

http://www.papercitymag.com/culture/white-oak-music-hall-rebels-will-thomas-will-garwood-shake-up-houston-controversy/

Pedestrian bridge across the bayou?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Triton said:

The Coyote Acre name actually has nothing to do with the type of place it is going to be but actually deals with the amount of sighted coyotes on this property. I've heard at least 4 coyotes (possibly a few pups) have been spotted here. 

 

I've seen coyotes in the back part of Hollywood Cemetery (furthest away from 45) on several occasions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Found out some troubling news about this place and this might develop into a bigger story (think Houston Chron, etc.)...This place seems to have a real problem with obtaining the correct permits and this may be the biggest one yet due to safety risks.

 

Apparently city inspectors found out that the plans WOMH first submitted to get the Pavilion, the concert section directly under the Raven Tower, permitted was for "warehouse use". They should have been permitted for "assembly use" instead but they didn't apply for that because it's the most restrictive one.... It obviously requires more safety equipment such as sprinklers and many other life safety features in case of any situation.. think the Station Nightclub fire that killed 100 people in Rhode Island during a concert. Anyway, the city was unaware this was being used for 600+ people for events and they shut down the Pavilion last week. The thing is though, the developers know this but apparently you can still buy tickets at the Pavilion for this place despite the obvious safety risks...

Edited by Triton
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, gene said:

yikes...hope this all works out before Sohn comes March 20th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is my must see show of 2017 so far and it was just announced today!

I don't think Sohn is playing at the Raven Tower. The Pavilion/Raven Tower is the section that's affected.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i finally got around to darkening the doorway of White Oak. (One of my guys is tour manager for Dillinger Escape Plan, who played Sunday)

 

I thought it was nice, just a larger version of Fitzgeralds. I knew half the staff and ran into half the people I work with...Spent too much at the bar (I'll attribute that to the bartenders being new and not knowing me...lol).

 

All in all, I still prefer Warehouse and HoB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 10/27/2016 at 8:37 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

There's also this nugget in Papercity magazine recently:

" They (Will Thomas and Will Garwood) also own four acres on the other side of the bayou from White Oak Music Hall and there are deals in place to bring a sand volleyball themed bar in partnership with GUS (Grown Up Sports) and a much more ambitious Les Givral’s restaurant along the water somewhat modeled after Austin’s beloved Mozart’s Coffee to that site. "

http://www.papercitymag.com/culture/white-oak-music-hall-rebels-will-thomas-will-garwood-shake-up-houston-controversy/

Any update on the Les Givral's?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

I'm surprised Les Givral's would step foot so close to Pho Binh territory. Anyone whom visits the latter will not return to the first.

 

Not as big a conflict as it first may appear.  People go to Pho Binh for pho and plates o' stuff, Les Givrals is a lot bigger on killer banh mi and rolls.  That, and 45 is a pretty big psychological divide, at least for a lot of us Heights Rats.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, mollusk said:

 

Not as big a conflict as it first may appear.  People go to Pho Binh for pho and plates o' stuff, Les Givrals is a lot bigger on killer banh mi and rolls.  That, and 45 is a pretty big psychological divide, at least for a lot of us Heights Rats.

Completely agree. Having a Vietnamese girlfriend, she's taught me there are huge differences between the two. Plus, Pho Binh is a little higher priced and who wouldn't mind some delicious banh mi before a show?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/25/2017 at 0:15 PM, mollusk said:

 

Not as big a conflict as it first may appear.  People go to Pho Binh for pho and plates o' stuff, Les Givrals is a lot bigger on killer banh mi and rolls.  That, and 45 is a pretty big psychological divide, at least for a lot of us Heights Rats.

Pho Binh's Banh Mi is the best I've ever had and has more than a tiny sliver of meat.

 

...but you get what you pay for.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to White Oak Music Hall At 2915 N. Main St.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...