White Oak Music Hall At 2915 N. Main St.

Triton

Just sent all this info to my best friend and his band's management company!!! i am dying to see Blue October play this place!!! Hoping it happens as they will be touring in support of their new cd coming out this April! 

Just sent all this info to my best friend and his band's management company!!! i am dying to see Blue October play this place!!! Hoping it happens as they will be touring in support of their new cd coming out this April!

Vivid emo/scene flashbacks of Java Jazz triggered.

Looks like a cool place to check out. Would love to go on top of the Raven Tower.

• Like 1

HAHA! all incredible memories for sure! i will say their music has evolved so much...especially since he achieved sobriety 3 years and 8 months ago...his voice is stronger than ever and his live performances are more powerful than ever! of course the whole band is amazing!!! crossing fingers they play a show here!

They poured new sidewalks along the streets. Looking good.

Yup. Just rode my bike on that sidewalk today. A lot wider than before. Also, it appears that the next parking lot with not be concrete but will be gravel.

Went to check out The Raven Tower today.  Not a hot spot as of yet, but definitely potential.  Sucks that the tower is somewhat difficult to access.  Seems like it will be restricted to VIPs after it becomes popular.  Nice view nonetheless.

attachicon.gif2016-01-30 16.18.49-1.jpg

attachicon.gif2016-01-30 17.13.50-1.jpg

Yea, lot of potential in this area. North Main could be a lot different in this area in the next 5 years, especially with all the vacant stores that line the rail line. Not too difficult to access, has a hallway from the bar and a door that allows entry from the outside... Don't understand how this will be limited to VIPs.

Yeah man, I definitely agree. The bar isn't too far from the rail stop, but the perceived safety at the rail stop itself will be the determining factor to get people walking around this area.  Hopefully that will change as the shuttered storefronts get some businesses.  The difficulty I was referring to has to do with the tiny stairway (kinda hard to maneuver with both up/down traffic.. even when sober and only 20-30 people there) and the low head clearance on the stairs up to the deck (maybe I'm just too tall).

Yea, lot of potential in this area. North Main could be a lot different in this area in the next 5 years, especially with all the vacant stores that line the rail line. Not too difficult to access, has a hallway from the bar and a door that allows entry from the outside... Don't understand how this will be limited to VIPs.

The walk from the rail station is just fine. Intact sidewalks, a convenience store, some decent houses, nothing scary really except it could be lighted better.

You must have come at just the right time. Look, I'm a guy who bike rides through Third Ward without a problem. I used to park my car at the free Metro parking lot right next to the Quitman station here but the area started getting worse. The businesses at the station are constantly calling HPD because of the people around there, with quite a few of them using crack under the N Main bridge by this music hall. Next time you walk over that bridge, look to your right and you'll see a relatively large homeless camp. There are hostile people that do get arrested every now and then, and there are even people openly using the restroom ON N Main. There was a couple mugged at this station in board daylight about a year ago. How do I know all this? I attend the Superneighborhood meetings that discuss these issues. The businesses are pissed and HPD says they can't control where people walk, though of course they do monitor this station very closely, with Metro police regularly stationed here as well.  It's going to be a while before it's actually safe.

Edit: This is coming from someone who lives right next to N Main here at the music hall.

Edited by Triton
  • Like 3

Yeah man, I definitely agree. The bar isn't too far from the rail stop, but the perceived safety at the rail stop itself will be the determining factor to get people walking around this area.  Hopefully that will change as the shuttered storefronts get some businesses.  The difficulty I was referring to has to do with the tiny stairway (kinda hard to maneuver with both up/down traffic.. even when sober and only 20-30 people there) and the low head clearance on the stairs up to the deck (maybe I'm just too tall).

Are any shuttered storefronts getting businesses? The rail has been open for a long while now and I haven't noticed any new businesses, just the closure of two somewhat notable restaurants (la macro? and Radical Eats). It also seems like there has been a large uptick in homeless camps around this area likely pushed out from downtown and other areas. I felt surrounded by guys sleeping and hanging out around quitman stop a couple weeks ago while waiting on the train. Hopefully I am wrong but I am thinking it is likely that this music hall is far enough removed from the commercial strip that it won't have any positive impact on area. Something else is gonna have to drop to help this area. 

Are any shuttered storefronts getting businesses? The rail has been open for a long while now and I haven't noticed any new businesses, just the closure of two somewhat notable restaurants (la macro? and Radical Eats). It also seems like there has been a large uptick in homeless camps around this area likely pushed out from downtown and other areas. I felt surrounded by guys sleeping and hanging out around quitman stop a couple weeks ago while waiting on the train. Hopefully I am wrong but I am thinking it is likely that this music hall is far enough removed from the commercial strip that it won't have any positive impact on area. Something else is gonna have to drop to help this area. 

A bike shop has opened, the Avenue Station apartments are going up, there's the new office space by Quitman, and there's quite a few townhomes going up in the area. It will take time but the Northside is changing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

25247208920_00d7deb03d_h.jpg

White Oak Music Hall by Marc longoria, on Flickr

25450088161_1838e26b9f_h.jpg

Kinda blurry but they are doing a lot of work across the creek. Surprisingly, even though I've known a lot of details about this project from the get-go, I am not 100% what this will be. It was thought to be another parking lot but I am not sure...

25516699156_0a5ef25da7_h.jpg

25424294542_1a2b86558a_h.jpg

• Like 3

Talked with a contractor installing the plastic grids in the north parking lot, there will be 3 parking lots with these grids covered with gravel. This north lot, one across N. Main and one across the bayou. Using these plastic grids will allow them to not have a retention pond for rainwater runoff thus saving more room for parking spaces.

SLEcP4G.jpg

FHLuq2q.jpg

• Like 6

a gravel parking lot? What year is this again?

It's actually better they are going with gravel. I'd prefer more parking and access to light rail instead of having drunks park in front of my house.

• Like 1