White Oak Music Hall At 2915 N. Main St.

Triton

Lively discussion over at Reddit 

http://www.reddit.com/r/houston/comments/2cff7u/new_fitzgeralds_location/

I had to wait until I got more facts from the Glen Park meeting...

So my neighborhood had a meeting today at 6pm to discuss minimum lot size and becoming historical, but before we even talked about that, my neighborhood was in an uproar about this development. Apparently it is the new location for Fitzgeralds. Yes, Fitzgeralds is moving from White Oak to here... hence, "White Oak Events, LLC" on the sign. And it's going to be a massive complex with multiple stages, including an outdoor stage that overlooks the city and the small creek. They also bought the property across the street for parking. Now, based on what was said at the meeting, I'm not 100% sure that this is a new Fitzgeralds but it is 100% being built and run by the same people who own Fitzgeralds. We will have to just wait and see...

Anyway, here is the property it will be built on, including the parking lot across the street:

14479892699_e9d3c74b04_b.jpg

Just for those linking to this thread on other websites, please know that this map is outdated! They own nearly double the amount of land shown here which includes more property on E Woodland St. and land on the other side of North Main and on the other side of the creek as well. This map was drawn by me and the developers map includes much more but I cannot post that at this time.

Edited by Triton

Triton, I'm glad to hear that they also own land on the other side of the creek, because the new MetroRail North Line Quitman stop is about 5-6 blocks away from the creek.  The closer this project can be to the rail line, the better for everyone involved.  If the venue is nice (and large) enough, it might become an important anchor for the North Line and give locals and visitors a reason to head north of downtown on the train.

That being said, I would hope efforts are made to improve the landscape and security along that 5-6 block path, as a simple Google Maps search reveals it to be pretty sketchy.

• Like 1

My thoughts:

Like Numbers & Rich's, Fitz's in a longstanding Houston institution and I was hoping some of the old place would be incorporated into the new design. Many of us have a lot of memories there, whether recent or distant. That kind of charm makes the place stand out.

But, with all the new bars on White Oak, Fitz's obviously outgrew the location, so I can understand the move. And I kinda get the feeling maybe Fitz's new location may be dependent on MetroRail. Quitman platform appears to be a short walk south.

One other thought: I wonder if the new place would be visible from 45 leaving downtown going north? If so, with a lil dramatic lighting, that could be cool...

I can no longer share the renderings any longer, and to the select few I have shared them to, please do not share them to anyone else. I've already been contacted by several music blogs to spill more info, unbelievably at my personal email and my Facebook (not even here). The reason is, I've been contacted by the architects of the new Fitzgerald's and I'll respect their request not to publish the renderings until they release them to the web. 

• Like 1

Seems like there is some kind of verification that the people behind Fitzgerald's are involved, as Fitzgerald's retweeted this tweet from Jagi Katial (@jkatial), the owner of Pegstar: 

"I wish I could say more.  As always, it will be worth the wait. #NearNorthside #Fitz #Pegstar #MusicVenueHouston."  

I can no longer share the renderings any longer, and to the select few I have shared them to, please do not share them to anyone else. I've already been contacted by several music blogs to spill more info, unbelievably at my personal email and my Facebook (not even here). The reason is, I've been contacted by the architects of the new Fitzgerald's and I'll respect their request not to publish the renderings until they release them to the web. 

not sure if you had permission from the onset but you should really be careful about sending out things like renderings or spilling info about sources... especially if you work for a commercial real estate firm.

not sure if you had permission from the onset but you should really be careful about sending out things like renderings or spilling info about sources... especially if you work for a commercial real estate firm.

The renderings have already been posted to the community so it was only a matter of time until they were on the Web. I'm in no legal trouble at all... I didnt get any of this info from my firm. Trust me, I know all about confidentiality. The architecture firm simply gave me a friendly request that they spent quite a bit of time working on the renderings and that they want to be the one's to announce the project (kinda too late on that front but whatever). So I honored their wish but that doesn't mean the rest of the community hasn't already posted it to their Facebooks or what have you.. And from there on, it will be shared.

Pretty sure this is Pegstar, a company that books shows and runs Free Press Summerfest moving from Fitzgeralds (which is the name of a building/venue) to a new venue. I don't think Pegstar even owns Fitz they were just operating out of that venue.

Damn that's sexy. Good job Fitz

I can't quite tell how it fits into the neighborhood, but it looks good. I'd love to see what they do with the creek that runs through the property. It will also be interesting to see what kinds of development will follow (restaurants, apartment blocks, etc.). With the light rail nearby, it should be a good location for additional projects, but the locals may end up priced out of the neighborhood.

While you bring up a good point that sometimes buildings should fit within the context of buildings around it.....exactly what kind of architectural precedent has really been established here? I would say that it would have very much limited the efforts of these designers. Not really much to pull from imo other than the typical bungaloo or shotgun, or ranch style houses. Not really architecture that is conducive to that of a music venue! Building a house sure. I think its better to say whether the architecture respects the context that it is in. The design in general with it's materiality, scale, profile, and colors actually respects the neighborhood very well. In a sense it means you have to gauge these kinds of things in a more abstract way rather than a very literal one. Is it the kind of architecture of the area...certainly not. Is it very well grounded with the feeling of the neighborhood...I think so.

As far as pricing out of the neighborhood. Again it goes to, what is there right now? Does this benefit and enhance the neighborhood or does it provide nothing of value. Once again I think you have to say that it provides much needed attention to an area that hasn't had any in a very very long time, and provides a venue that should be a source of pride when awesome musical acts flock to this place. Also is the condition that the neighborhood is in now really one that stands to be preserved, praised, protected, or looked upon as a success? I'm sure there are many proud people that live there, but I don't think any of the words I provided would describe this area or the area around it in general.

Of course I'm not saying you are for or against any of this I'm simply using your comment as a departure point for a bigger point.

There is stopping something for the sake of not wanting to change BECAUSE it's a very significant in terms of its culture and architecture, and then there is stopping something for just the sake of it....because change is for some is always inherently bad.

I can't quite tell how it fits into the neighborhood, but it looks good. I'd love to see what they do with the creek that runs through the property. It will also be interesting to see what kinds of development will follow (restaurants, apartment blocks, etc.). With the light rail nearby, it should be a good location for additional projects, but the locals may end up priced out of the neighborhood.

Think of it in Rice Military.... because that neighborhood is going to be chalk full of townhouses faster than you can say 'gentrification'.

So based on the article, Fitz is staying, and Pegstar is opening their own music venue on N Main. Seems like good news overall. I wonder who will lease Fitzgerald's when Pegstar leaves. 

There's misinformation here and I'm not sure where it's coming from yet. I realize this is the Houston Chron and that is indeed a Pegstar spokesman, but he only talked because the information was supposively "leaked" although the nearby residents have known about this development since a sound test was performed many many months ago. All of the residents living within the acoustic test area have been told this is the new location for Fitzgerald's.... I'm going to wait to see what other information is revealed but something's not right here. Although renderings can change, the building is still in line with the renderings I have but from different angles. The renderings I have clearly say Fitzgerald's on the side and anyone I shared the renderings to can vouch for that.... Perhaps Sarah Fitzgeralds changed her mind?

There's misinformation here and I'm not sure where it's coming from yet. I realize this is the Houston Chron and that is indeed a Pegstar spokesman, but he only talked because the information was supposively "leaked" although the nearby residents have known about this development since a sound test was performed many many months ago. All of the residents living within the acoustic test area have been told this is the new location for Fitzgerald's.... I'm going to wait to see what other information is revealed but something's not right here. Although renderings can change, the building is still in line with the renderings I have but from different angles. The renderings I have clearly say Fitzgerald's on the side and anyone I shared the renderings to can vouch for that.... Perhaps Sarah Fitzgeralds changed her mind?

I can vouch for Triton. It said Fitzgeralds... Maybe it was a JV? maybe Fitzgeralds will stay there and this is some sort of seperate entity tied to both. Happens all the time.

Sarah Fitzgerald and pegstar are both quoted in the article... where's the confusion?  She flat out says that she'll be disappointed to see Fitz leave and the pegstar team flat out says they will be leaving for their new digs. and that's not a pegstar spokesman... it's the head guy who founded it.  perhaps at one point they were going to go in jointly but that clearly isn't the case anymore.  no need to wait for additional information unless you think for some odd reason both parties are lying.

plans change. it happens.

• Like 2

Sarah Fitzgerald and pegstar are both quoted in the article... where's the confusion?  She flat out says that she'll be disappointed to see Fitz leave and the pegstar team flat out says they will be leaving for their new digs. and that's not a pegstar spokesman... it's the head guy who founded it.  perhaps at one point they were going to go in jointly but that clearly isn't the case anymore.  no need to wait for additional information unless you think for some odd reason both parties are lying.

plans change. it happens.

Okay, spokesman... head guy... they both speak for the company. That was my point.

Well then the plan changed, but I wish at least that was said somewhere then... I'm not saying anyone lied per se, but there is a possibility that there is misinformation being broadcast somewhere.

I don't understand this unnecessary tension towards me on this forum recently... maybe I should just keep my mouth shut on these projects and go back to just posting photos. Felt a lot better than having to b**** about inside scoops with people.

I'm just saying, people should wait until we get more info on this at a later time.

Edited by Triton

I don't think the tension is necessarily directed specifically at you, Triton. It's been apparent around several of the threads recently, involving various targets. I most certainly will vouch for you. The renderings you graciously shared with me CLEARLY says Fitzgerald's on it. Is it ok to share the renderings now? That would clear up any doubt of your honesty pretty quickly.

Let me be the first (and perhaps only) to say, uh-oh, for 2706 White Oak. I'm sure there are Sarah Fitzgerald fans on the board, but let's be honest. She was a poor steward of the building, and it was only after Free Press (or Pegstar, or whoever it is leasing the building) that major improvements were finally performed on the old dance hall. I sincerely hope that the work that has been done to the building will be maintained. It certainly wasn't, back in the day.

Well, at least 30 Foot Fall will have a venue to perform at until they're all old and gray.

• Like 1

If my understanding is correct, Sarah Fitzgerald sold the club, and just the club (including its name, etc.) to what we now know as Pegstar.  It sounds like she continued to hold the land on White Oak, and is leasing it to what was her club.  IDK, but I wouldn't be surprised if she had the club set up as a separate entity from whoever or whatever owns the dirt - it would not be unusual, and probably a good idea for liability reasons.