White Oak Music Hall At 2915 N. Main St.

Triton

1 hour ago, enriquewx91 said:

That's odd... Does the stage face the neighborhood? 

The outdoor stage faces northeast towards Main St. (away from Woodland Heights and towards the Glen Park and North Main subdivisions).

4 hours ago, enriquewx91 said:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Fans-neighbors-sound-off-on-White-Oak-Music-Hall-7242220.php?t=91bd604f0a&cmpid=twitter-premium#photo-9786904

" dozens of people who called the police to report noise violations, although a Houston Police Department spokesman said Monday it had no record of any complaints issued from the area surrounding the venue on Saturday night"

That's odd... Does the stage face the neighborhood? 

Man, to add insult to injury... I know a lot of pissed off people talking about this article. Dozens upon dozens of people reported noise violations, especially people who lived in homes that are rattling, even newer constructed ones.

Wonder if the city is going to shut down these "special events" until they get a permanent structure in place. That will force them to add several hundred more parking spots too and most likely a noise barrier that prevents more noise from escaping.

The Chronicle says the HPD spokesman made a boo boo.

http://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/Call-log-shows-complaints-Saturday-from-White-Oak-7245804.php

After the show, a nearby resident requested HPD's call-to-service log from the address of the venue 2915 N. Main. That log sheet showed more than a dozen noise complaints called in and one incident of an officer responding to the call.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, arisegundo said:

Yup, like I said, there were a lot of pissed off people when it was reported there was no record of their phone calls.

Edited by Triton

Any explanation why there was not a citation issued? Did the police come out and measure? You would think 17 reported noise violations would have gotten some response. I doubt if 311 calls alone are enough to revoke any issued or future permits. 

Edited by bedmondson

• 3 weeks later...

Turner says he will investigate loophole.

The developers "have taken advantage of a loophole that is existing," Turner said Tuesday. "We need to balance what the developer is doing and the concerns from the people in the neighborhood.

Crappy writing from Chron authors as always: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Mayor-promises-to-investigate-the-White-Oak-Music-7377654.php

I went by last night to see how the show was going. Upon coming around the bayou (from the Near Northside), the chaos was immediately apparent. I truly feel awful for those living in Glen Park. The neighborhood had cars parked along the street on every single block. In several places it was impassable due to the narrowness of the streets and cars being parked on each side. This sleepy neighborhood couldn't of had more honking and traffic. I'm incredibly fortunate to have passed on both houses I looked at in this neighborhood two years ago and decided on another just a few more blocks south. The venue itself is really incredible and a great addition to the city. It's just a shame it's in such a crammed location. 

I'd expect the neighborhood parking issue to get resolved as soon as they can petition the city to restrict on-street parking to permit holders only. That process should've been started by neighborhood residents in advance of the venue's opening, as it didn't take clairvoyance to predict what was going to happen. 

Also, Lot A is valet only? That's gotta be a clusterf...uh, somewhat problematic when there's a packed show letting out and everyone's lined up trying to get their cars at the same time. 

9 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Really? How and when? Were they badly injured or was it fatal if this is true?

No, he lived but perhaps this was a while back. Perhaps these renovations are in response to him falling. Waiting for more details.

2 hours ago, Triton said:

Rumor is someone fell off the tower.

if someone fell off the tower, either they will be suing, or their family will be suing very soon. I'd find it hard to believe in the day and age that we are in that someone could fall and not take legal action.

maybe there was a close call? maybe someone from the city suggested they do it before someone falls?

Edited by samagon

16 minutes ago, samagon said:

if someone fell off the tower, either they will be suing, or their family will be suing very soon. I'd find it hard to believe in the day and age that we are in that someone could fall and not take legal action.

maybe there was a close call? maybe someone from the city suggested they do it before someone falls?

He fell back on March 11th during the Electric Six show. Will Garwood said they will be upgrading the railing while it is closed.

Oh, I updated this on Nextdoor and the neighborhood email chain but forgot to comment again here. Yea, I highly doubt someone actually fell. It all started when an image circulated with Raven Tower employees were gathered around a guy with blood on the ground. While that image is real (there is a photoshopped version with extra blood), Raven Tower says the guy got injured in a mosh pit. I think there would have been a lot more press if someone actually did fall from the tower.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Luminare said:

ADA strikes again...

What's your point? All facilities open to the public have to meet certain requirements to allow access by people with disabilities. Are you saying that's a bad thing?

On 5/8/2016 at 8:34 AM, Ross said:

What's your point? All facilities open to the public have to meet certain requirements to allow access by people with disabilities. Are you saying that's a bad thing?

In most cases, no. In some cases, yes. 

I think it's good practice for new facilities to be designed to accommodate everyone. 

However, let's say there was no way practical to put an elevator into the tower. If I were unable to climb those stairs, I wouldn't want that fact to prevent others from being able to use and enjoy the space. And having a place shut down for not being able to accommodate a small percentage of people seems like kind of a jerk move. 

On 5/8/2016 at 8:34 AM, Ross said:

There's got to be ways around this, or some businesses wouldn't still be in business.

Go to Tout Suite, great place and good people, but take a look around as you are entering/exiting. There is no wheelchair access. There are steps to get to the front door, there are no alternative entrances. There are other places, I just can't think of them off the top of my head, and I've recently been to Tout Suite.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, samagon said:

There's got to be ways around this, or some businesses wouldn't still be in business.

Go to Tout Suite, great place and good people, but take a look around as you are entering/exiting. There is no wheelchair access. There are steps to get to the front door, there are no alternative entrances. There are other places, I just can't think of them off the top of my head, and I've recently been to Tout Suite.

Your competitor. :P

A few notes. With the IH45N expansion, TXDOT currently has plans to completely demolish North St bridge. Nothing will be put up in its place. Sad.

Anyone go to the meeting with HPD and constables regarding WOMH yesterday?

• Like 1

On 5/12/2016 at 4:15 PM, Triton said:

Your competitor. :P

not a competitor, they supply croissants and macaroons fresh daily! :D

they tell me the savory croissant is really good, but I don't do mushrooms. Anyway, that's how I know the building isn't ADA. I went there a lot when we were testing out their pastries, and I noticed there were stairs everywhere and no ramps.

A few notes. With the IH45N expansion, TXDOT currently has plans to completely demolish North St bridge. Nothing will be put up in its place. Sad.

Anyone go to the meeting with HPD and constables regarding WOMH yesterday?

so much local connectivity is going away. I really have no idea what they were thinking. It's horrible though.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 2