White Oak Music Hall At 2915 N. Main St.

Triton

are they actually going to have this thing done in one month?? seems like a ton of construction left to do before the april 9th m83 show...

Not the main building but they should have The Lawn finished which is the outdoor stadium area where M83 will play. Just based on watching their progress daily, they tend to work night and day when they get closer to their actual dates. So far the crew has been focused on their other lots with parking... I know, a little strange.

On 2/1/2016 at 11:17 AM, Triton said:

You must have come at just the right time. Look, I'm a guy who bike rides through Third Ward without a problem. I used to park my car at the free Metro parking lot right next to the Quitman station here but the area started getting worse. The businesses at the station are constantly calling HPD because of the people around there, with quite a few of them using crack under the N Main bridge by this music hall. Next time you walk over that bridge, look to your right and you'll see a relatively large homeless camp. There are hostile people that do get arrested every now and then, and there are even people openly using the restroom ON N Main. There was a couple mugged at this station in board daylight about a year ago. How do I know all this? I attend the Superneighborhood meetings that discuss these issues. The businesses are pissed and HPD says they can't control where people walk, though of course they do monitor this station very closely, with Metro police regularly stationed here as well.  It's going to be a while before it's actually safe.

Edit: This is coming from someone who lives right next to N Main here at the music hall.

I finally got around to taking the train to this place and it's an easy walk to the venue during the day.   Ok here comes the bad part the SB Quitman station was packed with vagrants.  I wouldn't chance that non sense by myself and unless metro police is there every night I won't be recommending rail to go here at night. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BeerNut said:

I finally got around to taking the train to this place and it's an easy walk to the venue during the day.   Ok here comes the bad part the SB Quitman station was packed with vagrants.  I wouldn't chance that non sense by myself and unless metro police is there every night I won't be recommending rail to go here at night. 

Yeah, Metro really needs to get control of their rail lines, especially the northern segment of the Red Line.  It is idiotic to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a transportation system and then allow it to become a homeless shelter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BeerNut said:

Ok here comes the bad part the SB Quitman station was packed with vagrants.  I wouldn't chance that non sense by myself and unless metro police is there every night I won't be recommending rail to go here at night. 

Yup. It's pretty bad. Like I said, I used to go to this station in the beginning and it was honestly really great. Had a lot of promise for the area. Now I have to drive to the UH-D parking lot under I-10 and hop on rail there if I need to. I'm pro-rail but this station has to be the worst among them all and Metro really needs to take control of the situation. The large vagrant camp by the bridge doesn't help either. Some people walk like zombies after they get out from under that bridge.... on who knows what type of drugs.

On 3/14/2016 at 3:29 PM, kylejack said:

Salvation Army is right there, so many of this type are sleeping there. As to the bridge, yes, it's true but none has ever accosted me, and I come home this way every day. Homeless people exist, that's something you'll just have to accept.

Their existence must be accepted, of course (and no one suggested otherwise).  But we do not have to, and must not, accept the Metro trains and stations being turned into homeless shelters.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Great pictures Triton! Is there an opening date they're gunning for like The Raven Tower?

I would imagine it's the M83 concert I'm going to on April 9th. I didn't get a pic of it fully but they actually have the stage built in the parking lot. It's barely in the bottom right on my first photo.

https://www.facebook.com/events/525991420908623/

• Like 1

Wow what a bunch of a-holes. The stage is actually facing my home. Didn't realize this is what they did... They originally told us they would build a wall to strongly reduce any noise from reaching our homes... what a bunch of liars. They're putting up a wood fence.

10 minutes ago, kylejack said:

If it's too loud, especially after 10, you can file a noise complaint.

The neighborhood has agreed, they most certainly will, but I believe for our area it is 11pm actually. 

1 hour ago, mbx said:

Anyone planning to go to the concert? Would be great if it is done well without disturbing the surrounding neighborhoods too much. 

(First post on HAIF btw)

I will be at the concert. Love M83.

Look, I still think this project is great and a lot better than the drug ridden homes that were there to begin with... it certainly feels a lot safer walking down North St. to the Woodland Heights now. And the neighborhood itself knows the Northside area is on the rise and they actually welcome it... in this neighborhood alone, they've built 4 new homes in the past year which is pretty significant in its 80 year history (Glen Park in the small neighborhood between the cemeteries and the creek). Just wish they would work with the community a little more... I know my street will be full of cars especially if it's 3,000 people going and the sound is going to be pretty bad in my home...very concerning that they are simply using a temporary stage to host "special events."

i am hoping to go if i can get a ticket from someone selling one as i waited too long to get one...but love m83 and love that we have a new cool music venue choice! hope it works out well for everyone.... 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LarryDierker said:

live music on your front porch. i don't see the problem here.

Which is admittedly cool.......... until it's in your kitchen and bedroom and every other room. They are also looking into a nightclub/brewery in the neighborhood itself. There's just no concentrating when there's a constant bass humming in every room.

Knowing me, I'll probably just get over this after I've gotten used to it but I know my girlfriend wants to move out already. We'll see what happens.

Edited by Triton

I'm within walking distance myself and really hope the north/main area takes off. M83 is a nice choice for WOMH's first outdoor concert. Happy to have my tickets.

Noise won't be so much of an issue as traffic and parking will. Wonder if car break-ins and other crimes will increase as a result. 

I don't understand "my street will be full of cars" as a complaint. It's a public street; that's where cars belong. 

I do understand if drunken people are obnoxious in front of your house, but they really shouldn't be driving anyway...

Not sure what the solution is other than continuing to increase density and improve transit. Maybe some kind of program to encourage people to use Uber?

• Like 2