Sign in to follow this  
Triton

White Oak Music Hall 2915 N Main

So based on the article, Fitz is staying, and Pegstar is opening their own music venue on N Main. Seems like good news overall. I wonder who will lease Fitzgerald's when Pegstar leaves. 

Damn that's sexy. Good job Fitz

I can't quite tell how it fits into the neighborhood, but it looks good. I'd love to see what they do with the creek that runs through the property. It will also be interesting to see what kinds of development will follow (restaurants, apartment blocks, etc.). With the light rail nearby, it should be a good location for additional projects, but the locals may end up priced out of the neighborhood.

While you bring up a good point that sometimes buildings should fit within the context of buildings around it.....exactly what kind of architectural precedent has really been established here? I would say that it would have very much limited the efforts of these designers. Not really much to pull from imo other than the typical bungaloo or shotgun, or ranch style houses. Not really architecture that is conducive to that of a music venue! Building a house sure. I think its better to say whether the architecture respects the context that it is in. The design in general with it's materiality, scale, profile, and colors actually respects the neighborhood very well. In a sense it means you have to gauge these kinds of things in a more abstract way rather than a very literal one. Is it the kind of architecture of the area...certainly not. Is it very well grounded with the feeling of the neighborhood...I think so.

As far as pricing out of the neighborhood. Again it goes to, what is there right now? Does this benefit and enhance the neighborhood or does it provide nothing of value. Once again I think you have to say that it provides much needed attention to an area that hasn't had any in a very very long time, and provides a venue that should be a source of pride when awesome musical acts flock to this place. Also is the condition that the neighborhood is in now really one that stands to be preserved, praised, protected, or looked upon as a success? I'm sure there are many proud people that live there, but I don't think any of the words I provided would describe this area or the area around it in general.

Of course I'm not saying you are for or against any of this I'm simply using your comment as a departure point for a bigger point.

There is stopping something for the sake of not wanting to change BECAUSE it's a very significant in terms of its culture and architecture, and then there is stopping something for just the sake of it....because change is for some is always inherently bad.

I can't quite tell how it fits into the neighborhood, but it looks good. I'd love to see what they do with the creek that runs through the property. It will also be interesting to see what kinds of development will follow (restaurants, apartment blocks, etc.). With the light rail nearby, it should be a good location for additional projects, but the locals may end up priced out of the neighborhood.

Think of it in Rice Military.... because that neighborhood is going to be chalk full of townhouses faster than you can say 'gentrification'.

So based on the article, Fitz is staying, and Pegstar is opening their own music venue on N Main. Seems like good news overall. I wonder who will lease Fitzgerald's when Pegstar leaves. 

There's misinformation here and I'm not sure where it's coming from yet. I realize this is the Houston Chron and that is indeed a Pegstar spokesman, but he only talked because the information was supposively "leaked" although the nearby residents have known about this development since a sound test was performed many many months ago. All of the residents living within the acoustic test area have been told this is the new location for Fitzgerald's.... I'm going to wait to see what other information is revealed but something's not right here. Although renderings can change, the building is still in line with the renderings I have but from different angles. The renderings I have clearly say Fitzgerald's on the side and anyone I shared the renderings to can vouch for that.... Perhaps Sarah Fitzgeralds changed her mind?

There's misinformation here and I'm not sure where it's coming from yet. I realize this is the Houston Chron and that is indeed a Pegstar spokesman, but he only talked because the information was supposively "leaked" although the nearby residents have known about this development since a sound test was performed many many months ago. All of the residents living within the acoustic test area have been told this is the new location for Fitzgerald's.... I'm going to wait to see what other information is revealed but something's not right here. Although renderings can change, the building is still in line with the renderings I have but from different angles. The renderings I have clearly say Fitzgerald's on the side and anyone I shared the renderings to can vouch for that.... Perhaps Sarah Fitzgeralds changed her mind?

I can vouch for Triton. It said Fitzgeralds... Maybe it was a JV? maybe Fitzgeralds will stay there and this is some sort of seperate entity tied to both. Happens all the time.

Sarah Fitzgerald and pegstar are both quoted in the article... where's the confusion?  She flat out says that she'll be disappointed to see Fitz leave and the pegstar team flat out says they will be leaving for their new digs. and that's not a pegstar spokesman... it's the head guy who founded it.  perhaps at one point they were going to go in jointly but that clearly isn't the case anymore.  no need to wait for additional information unless you think for some odd reason both parties are lying.

plans change. it happens.

• Like 2

Sarah Fitzgerald and pegstar are both quoted in the article... where's the confusion?  She flat out says that she'll be disappointed to see Fitz leave and the pegstar team flat out says they will be leaving for their new digs. and that's not a pegstar spokesman... it's the head guy who founded it.  perhaps at one point they were going to go in jointly but that clearly isn't the case anymore.  no need to wait for additional information unless you think for some odd reason both parties are lying.

plans change. it happens.

Okay, spokesman... head guy... they both speak for the company. That was my point.

Well then the plan changed, but I wish at least that was said somewhere then... I'm not saying anyone lied per se, but there is a possibility that there is misinformation being broadcast somewhere.

I don't understand this unnecessary tension towards me on this forum recently... maybe I should just keep my mouth shut on these projects and go back to just posting photos. Felt a lot better than having to b**** about inside scoops with people.

I'm just saying, people should wait until we get more info on this at a later time.

Edited by Triton

I don't think the tension is necessarily directed specifically at you, Triton. It's been apparent around several of the threads recently, involving various targets. I most certainly will vouch for you. The renderings you graciously shared with me CLEARLY says Fitzgerald's on it. Is it ok to share the renderings now? That would clear up any doubt of your honesty pretty quickly.

Let me be the first (and perhaps only) to say, uh-oh, for 2706 White Oak. I'm sure there are Sarah Fitzgerald fans on the board, but let's be honest. She was a poor steward of the building, and it was only after Free Press (or Pegstar, or whoever it is leasing the building) that major improvements were finally performed on the old dance hall. I sincerely hope that the work that has been done to the building will be maintained. It certainly wasn't, back in the day.

Well, at least 30 Foot Fall will have a venue to perform at until they're all old and gray.

• Like 1

If my understanding is correct, Sarah Fitzgerald sold the club, and just the club (including its name, etc.) to what we now know as Pegstar.  It sounds like she continued to hold the land on White Oak, and is leasing it to what was her club.  IDK, but I wouldn't be surprised if she had the club set up as a separate entity from whoever or whatever owns the dirt - it would not be unusual, and probably a good idea for liability reasons.

I too can vouch that the renderings Triton shared with me did say Fitzgerald's on the front. No question about it.

Also, I find it strange that he Downtown stage view rendering hasn't surfaced. IMO that would be the rendering to release to really create a buzz in the media.

• Like 1

Other than the ice house, I think this design sucks. The venue looks like the horrible sheet metal townhouse in parts of midtown. Hopefully it turns out better than these renderings.

• Like 2

Other than the ice house, I think this design sucks. The venue looks like the horrible sheet metal townhouse in parts of midtown. Hopefully it turns out better than these renderings.

100% agree. The metal sheets make it look extremely cheap. If you squint your eyes they almost disappear and the design isn't too terrible. The wall gardens are a nice touch, but it's like putting 3 LED lights on top of Skyhouse.

Edited by Montrose1100

The metal siding is one of my favorite things about the design, especially since *so* much new construction in this town is bad historicism. This actually does reference something locally important, the metal buildings of the 60s and 70s.

These are early renderings though. It will all come down to final massing, proportions and detailing. 

• Like 1

So, who really owns the property? Pegstar doesn't own anything, and has a bad status with the State Comptroller. WOIH Partners, owns some of the lots, but I can't get all of it straight- the HCAD maps are pretty poor in that area. And, the Flood Control District has a bunch of acreage in the area.

I too can vouch that the renderings Triton shared with me did say Fitzgerald's on the front. No question about it.

My later re-reading of the news article indicated Pegstar is only temporarily in the Fitzgerald's space and that this is an entirely separate venue for them. They will vacate Fitzgerald's for this new place.

This.

I've seen many concert venues and most of them suck. Some are not more than four walls and a roof. It's more what goes into it than what the outside looks like.

HAIF has eyes and ears everywhere....it's only a matter of time before exciting things come to light.  Way to go Triton!

• Like 1

Correct... I've been a working musician for almost 30 years and have played in every kind of venue there is. live/showcase clubs don't give a rip about what their exterior looks like. Neither do the acts or those that come to see the acts. The club owners are there to make a profit, and in the club business, which can be very volatile, it's very difficult.

With a place of this size and scope Fitz' will be investing a ton of money on the interior, equipment, lights, etc, etc. I think it's going to be a great venue, and should be a great addition to the live music community in general.

I've seen many concert venues and most of them suck. Some are not more than four walls and a roof. It's more what goes into it than what the outside looks like.

I went by here and saw the demo but the sign made me think that the concert hall may not happen because the sign said "Little White Oak Park" and " townhomes" plus the "For Sale" sign is still up. The demo is actually across the fence from the rest of the lot. Anyone know more?

I went by here and saw the demo but the sign made me think that the concert hall may not happen because the sign said "Little White Oak Park" and " townhomes" plus the "For Sale" sign is still up. The demo is actually across the fence from the rest of the lot. Anyone know more?

This is more of a village with a farmers market, an ice house, and then White Oak Music Hall, which has an indoor and outdoor stage. The reason that sign says townhomes is that before the recession, this property became the North Main Townhomes (a subdivision name) but the plan never visualized.

The concert hall plans are still changing on this project. They've changed the orientation of the outdoor stage to face away from I-45 and Germantown and there is a constant back and forth about the parking level.... that number is hovering around 500 to 600 parking spots. "The demo is actually across the fence" is land that they own and is the approximate location of the indoor stage (The blue lot below). They own all the property mentioned in the Swamplot article:

n-main-venue-site.jpg

http://swamplot.com/the-lonely-spot-east-of-the-heights-where-the-operators-of-fitzgeralds-are-planning-a-massive-new-concert-venue-complex/2014-08-05/

• Like 2

We all know on this website that when we see a porta potty, construction is most likely soon.

16634742452_d230e3e0a7_h.jpg

White Oak Music Hall by marclongoria, on Flickr

They also brought in a trailer-type storage unit on site as well (It's behind the eighteen-wheeler). I think this one is starting.

16609436366_f9a7741663_h.jpg

White Oak Music Hall by marclongoria, on Flickr

• Like 1

We all know on this website that when we see a porta potty, construction is most likely soon.

Not true. It could signal the start of a really small music festival.  :P  B)

• Like 2

attachicon.gifParking Reserve 1.JPGReleased by City of Houston 4 days ago

Wow, I am shocked I forgot to post this here. I shared it with others. Anyway, this document is basically saying they did not receive city approval until the developer provides info about the width of the northwestern street. This plot of land is only parking lot though.

I hope that watch tower isn't demolished

The developers want to keep it but it will probably be extensively modified.