Academy Corporate Building

cocorobert

Academy is building a 4 floor, tilt wall building at their corporate HQ on Mason Rd. just N. of I-10.

This will probably be their new HQ building but I have no clue about the sq. ft. and if they will build a parking garage or not.

Why I am posting this is because of how close the fourth floor of this building is to the KVA Power lines that are part of the Texas electrical grid that connect regions and generating plants. These lines are the largest transmission lines in Texas and they are the tallest towers you will see around the state with the exception of towers that carry the lines over ship channels, rail yards or large freeways.

The reason for the height of these towers is because of the amount of electricity involved. Historically farmers in Kansas, Oklahoma, the Texas Panhandle, etc. used to put up pools with copper wire between them and collect electricity from the lines without touching them. This collection of slippage is illegal and power generation companies would have planes following the towers looking for such activity. Of course these farmers were quickly stopped and I have not heard or known of such activity continuing today.

Does anyone know the SAFE distance a building can be built to these huge towers/lines?

If one wants a unique photo they can get one here. Of course the site is fenced in but while standing on the grass between the fence and Mason rd. I guestimate way less than 100' between the outer lines and the building. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you need to worry about Academy Sports stealing electricity from the high voltage lines lol.  If you look at the lines there are houses within about 100ft. of them.  If that was a problem those houses would not have been allowed to be built there or the lines would have been placed elsewhere if the houses were already there. 

Archived