Somerset Green: Residential Community At 3709 Somerset Green Dr.

Fortune

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tim (or Ric?),

Lots of developable land in the areal photo. 

1.First of all, is the KBR Site.  The area in the right half of the photo, the north of the Bayou between the two bridges.  All owned by Cathexis and mostly cleared.  No one has shared what the plans are...but the area is huge.

2.  Just north of that, but south of I-10, Frank Liu is planning a community of 500+ residences in a Master Planned Community.  Construction to start soon, to take advantage of some Ike Relief Money. 

3. The entire area in the far east of the photo, is part of the 2nd Ward/5th Ward Livability study, which Askura Robinson is studying (Very cool stuff being discussed). 

4. The big industrial area to the north of the Bayou here (far right, With the creek in it) Is Proler Metals.  Supposedly, soon planning to move their operation closer to the Port.  Lots of other industrial tracks which are abandoned or underused.

I've always wondered how long it would take for developers to bring a master planned community inside the loop. I think things like this are good in order to attract the suburban buyer wanting a shorter commute. If HISD were smart, they'd figure out ways to zone these types of places to nicer schools in order to increase their tax revenues.

In 2015 Houston, 3+ level townhomes without private yards do not generate many school-age children. Will that change over time? Probably. Currently, in redeveloping areas, the hot areas to watch for student enrollment growth have yards (Oak Forest/Braeswood Place) or are apartment buildings zoned to high-ranking schools in walking distance to major employers (Med Center/Energy Corridor). With that said, an announcement was made to the HISD Board two weeks ago to adjust zoning in this very area--will it affect student enrollment much in Somerset Green, a neighborhood marketing empty-nesters? Naaaaah.

A lot of the empty nest types lived in the burbs for so long because the schools there were better (or at least perceived to be).  Now that the kids are out, they are less interested in the quality of the school they are zoned to.  Some of my newer neighbors transplanted from the burbs gripe openly about paying any school taxes (at least that's what I can hear wafting from the unused outdoor kitchens of their giant new Open Concept McCraftsmansions crammed onto 5000 sf lots behind newly erected iron fences with pointy tops).

• 3 weeks later...

My guess is that the concrete is just dyed a blue tint.

exactly this.

Yeah I would say that rivers or streams in Europe are actually a tad cleaner, but I wouldn't still go drink from one lol. They certainly aren't that almost hilariously cartoonish blue color! The only clear blue you ever see water like that is at a really nice beach in the Caribbean or something.

They simply stained the concrete that blue color so it would help the water look that blue....which is actually very distracting. Just keep it natural and it will look natural.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived