Matheson Tri-Gas & Montalbano Lumber Companies On Houston Ave.

Chi-Char-Hou-Dal

Matheson @ 2200 Houston Ave, Houston, TX 77007

Montalbano @ 1309 Houston Ave, Houston, TX 77007

I heard from a pretty credible source the amount of money being offered to these two companies simply can't be ignored anymore. I know specifically with Matheson they are looking at options outside the beltway. At some point, density becomes too great and your the last business on the block.

Thoughts on your ideal replacement or do you like the mix of industry and resi / certainly works towards the charm in some larger cities ect.

Matheson @ 2200 Houston Ave, Houston, TX 77007

Montalbano @ 1309 Houston Ave, Houston, TX 77007

I heard from a pretty credible source the amount of money being offered to these two companies simply can't be ignored anymore. I know specifically with Matheson they are looking at options outside the beltway. At some point, density becomes too great and your the last business on the block.

Thoughts on your ideal replacement or do you like the mix of industry and resi / certainly works towards the charm in some larger cities ect.

This is right near my house. That would be awesome if this was gone actually. They haven't had any incident, but I always hesitate when I drive next to their trucks full of gases. The property wouldn't be that good for retail since it isn't connected to I-10. I would imagine a multi-family unit with great views of downtown or maybe just a townhome neighborhood like the ones that are popping up everywhere there.

This is right near my house. That would be awesome if this was gone actually. They haven't had any incident, but I always hesitate when I drive next to their trucks full of gases. The property wouldn't be that good for retail since it isn't connected to I-10. I would imagine a multi-family unit with great views of downtown or maybe just a townhome neighborhood like the ones that are popping up everywhere there.

Triton, we must live near each other then! I would like to see some more restaurants along Houston Ave. Personally, I would rather see a 5 story mixed use opposed to a townhouse neighborhood... but that is just me.

These are both interesting sites. 2200 Houston is almost 5 acres all told. It's close to the freeway, but doesn't really have freeway access, which means it's not a good site for big-box commercial. Right on the MKT bike trail, though. Probably a townhouse farm or multi-family.

1309 Houston is close enough to Washington to make multi-family viable, but not close enough to make mixed-use viable (probably).

I didn't look at all the records, but it looks like Matheson's tax bill went way up this year. Land value of $18.75 last year, $30 this year.  That's a $2.5M INCREASE in property tax year-on-year.  A lot of incentive to move.

This is one of the effects of funding government with property taxes instead of income taxes. It ruthlessly encourages redevelopment of land towards the highest and best use. Under our system of taxation, there is real cost to occupy high-value land with low-value activity. 

If Houston can continue on its current trajectory for the next few years, the First Ward is going to be the next great Houston neighborhood.  Tarkett is closing their plant to downsize their operations.  Grocer's supply is being redeveloped.  Townhome development in the area is flying along.  There are a couple of bars and restaurants planned for Washington Ave.  A total game changer of a development could go in on the old Mahatma Rice plant, potentially on the scale of River Oaks District (maybe not quite as posh). 

Given the current groupthink in the development community, I would see midrise apartments going in on Houston Ave with a very outside chance at some mixed use retail.  Retail sq ft rent rates are shooting through the roof inside the loop.  The returns on retail leasing are getting too high for developers to ignore anymore. 

I do not see a strip mall or big box grocer.  Too far from highway access and Houston ave does not have high enough traffic counts. 

Whatever happens, there are going to be very big things ahead for the 1st Ward if the Houston economy continues to chug along.

If Houston can continue on its current trajectory for the next few years, the First Ward is going to be the next great Houston neighborhood.  Tarkett is closing their plant to downsize their operations.  Grocer's supply is being redeveloped.  Townhome development in the area is flying along.  There are a couple of bars and restaurants planned for Washington Ave.  A total game changer of a development could go in on the old Mahatma Rice plant, potentially on the scale of River Oaks District (maybe not quite as posh). 

Given the current groupthink in the development community, I would see midrise apartments going in on Houston Ave with a very outside chance at some mixed use retail.  Retail sq ft rent rates are shooting through the roof inside the loop.  The returns on retail leasing are getting too high for developers to ignore anymore. 

I do not see a strip mall or big box grocer.  Too far from highway access and Houston ave does not have high enough traffic counts. 

Whatever happens, there are going to be very big things ahead for the 1st Ward if the Houston economy continues to chug along.

I agree with your thought process. I moved into 6th ward last year, and I am thrilled to see the area taking off. I had always viewed 1st ward as an area with alot of potential. I am glad it got historic status, and I hope the best for the community.

• 4 weeks later...

You're pretty safe being next to these trucks. Most of the gases are shielding gases, and in the case of Argon they can be used to put out fires. (And also kill chickens in bulk, but I digress)

Also the odds of a properly capped tank taking off like a missile is extreamly unlikely even in the event of a massive wreck.

• The title was changed to Matheson Tri-Gas & Montalbano Lumber Co.
  • The title was changed to Matheson Tri-Gas & Montalbano Lumber Companies On Houston Ave.

Archived