-

IMHO the renderings for the new HSPVA are pretty grotesque, though that doesn't particularly fit into your list.

The new Knapp Chevrolet, though, with an apparently suburban facade going up with a concrete parking lot between it and the street does, though, as does Sawyer Heights and its adjuncts, which some sharp commenter dubbed "Katyland" (or something similar).

I don't see any more ugly being built in Houston.  Sure we have plenty of plain glass boxes in the Energy Corridor, dozens of look-alike mid-rise apartment buildings in Mid-town and Post Oak, and cheapish but okay townhouses every place.

Ugly is billboards, car dealerships, strip centers, gas stations, houses converted to offices for various dentists, massage therapists or horoscope readers, rolled steel industrial buildings with piles of product sitting outside, junk yards.

The places really seems to be cleaning up.

Does anyone think ugly is still being built?

I would say mostly boring and inoffensive is the norm.

Strip Centers and Gas Station are still going up in Houston. They are buildings huge warehouses and industrial sites in the east side of town. 

Everyone has different taste but to me it seems like every building going up right now (minus a select few), are maybe not ugly but certainly boring.

Most things are rarely "built" ugly. For instance, a lot of "ugly" apartments have decades of deterioration, natural aging, and falling out of fashion to deal with, so all those townhomes and newer apartments will start to look bad. Same goes for converted houses, and a lot of the "ugly" gas stations and strip malls are going to be the older ones. 

Archived