What stores and restaurants would you like to see in Greater Houston?

Topic says it all: this is the thread to put what restaurants and stores (chains) you'd like to see in Houston. This isn't necessarily WHERE (of course, you'd like to see it closer to your neighborhood) or how MANY, but just what do "they" have that we don't. While you could count things that have left the area before and come back (like Del Taco), I'd just like to have a few "guidelines":

1) It must be chains that are growing, not shrinking. I think a Kmart in Houston would be cool, but unless they pull a 360 on that business, it's not happening.

2) It must be chains that franchise or otherwise don't have a set limit on how they expand. Braums has a 300 mile radius limit (Hillsboro is as far south as it gets), and asking for supermarket that doesn't have a location for miles around as they expand out from a home base (chains such as Publix, Meijer, or Wegmans--besides, do you think Wegmans is competitive enough for Houston?)

3) It must be something that isn't in the market area at all. So no "There's an [X] in The Woodlands or Galveston", it must entirely new to the market.

That still of course leaves a ton of room as to what to see: In N Out Burger is the first thing that comes to my mind, but I wanted to know your thoughts.

Pret-a-Manger

Zara

M&S (although they aren't exactly growing)

Tim Horton's, because there can never be too many donut shops.

There's already a Zara in the Galleria, but absolutely agree on Pret. The best chain sandwich shop in my opinion.

19?! I thought there were 3-4, and the reason they didn't come to Houston was that (probably) the Dallas ones were underperforming.  :wacko:

I thought there were only a handful too, until I checked the location map on their website. No excuse for not having a Houston location, unless they're afraid of competing with Whataburger. 

Thundercloud Subs from Austin though you would have to find some hippies to run the place.  :)  A fine alternative in Seabrook is Neptune Subs; been there over 35 years.

There used to be a Thundercloud on W. Alabama between Shepherd and Kirby for several years. It was definitely run by hippies, but I'm not sure if they were Austin expats or if they'd simply jumped ship from Whole Foods down the street.  :)

I thought there were only a handful too, until I checked the location map on their website. No excuse for not having a Houston location, unless they're afraid of competing with Whataburger. 

Pretty sure Whataburger is not the issue.  Those are also all over DFW.

I have heard that In N Out's numbers in Dallas have been disappointing and that has impacted the pace of their rollout. Remember that In N Out is not franchised so the decision to enter a new market is a little different for them.

I have heard that In N Out's numbers in Dallas have been disappointing and that has impacted the pace of their rollout. Remember that In N Out is not franchised so the decision to enter a new market is a little different for them.

That's what I thought, until this 19 number came up, and the fact that they're hitting Austin and New Braunfels (New Braunfels, really?) before Houston. Once Austin is "secured", so to speak, I think they'll move to Houston. It makes more sense to plant a market and make sure its healthy than randomly scattering your businesses everywhere (which is what fast-growing companies tend to do--both McDonald's and Kmart did this, but while that strategy worked well for one, one of them botched it and sent them into a permanent tailspin, guess which one is which?)

Most likely they're considering New Braunfels as part of the Austin market. Logistically, it would make more sense for them to go to San Antonio before Houston anyway. Since their base is in Dallas, they can cover all of those markets with the same trucks. Houston will require a different setup.

The  are not that great.  Hype prevails in some places.  I'll take Whataburger any time, any day

• 1 year later...

Archived