Historic Houston Nostalgia

tmariar

I don't think we have a thread about oral histories of Houston, so I thought I'd start one. I've always thought that one of the many ways in which we lose bits of Houston history on a regular basis is by missing opportunities to record Houstonians' recollections of daily life in the city in decades past - the kind of information that isn't so easily captured in newspapers and historical records. (One of the great things about HAIF, and the history subforum in particular, is that some of these stories are being shared and (hopefully) preserved here.)

I'd be interested in hearing others' information about - and hearing about others' experiences with - oral history projects, if anyone has anything to share... including...

Do you know of any oral histories of Houston accessible on-line?

I've found a few transcripts here and there. The Harris County Archives have posted four.

Do you know of other respositories for oral histories of Houston?

I know there's the new Neighborhood Oral History Project Collection started by Houston Arts and Media (see also here and here), which is housed at the library's Houston Metropolitan Research Center. It looks like the University of Houston also has a new program, and that their histories will be kept at the library at UofH. I think I also saw something about Project Row Houses' planning to use one of their restored houses for an oral history center for Third Ward residents.

Have you ever helped create an oral history, either as an interviewer or interviewee? Have you ever thought about doing one?

(The Texas Historical Commission and Houston Arts & Media both have suggestions for interviewers.)

Do you know someone who would be a good subject for an oral history related to Houston? If so, have their information/stories already been preserved in some way? Do you think it's likely they will be?

I didn't really mean for this to be a formal Q&A - and I'm not associated with any project mentioned above. I'm just generally interested in the subject, and am making it one of my resolutions for 2008 to interview both of my parents...

Happy new year.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mother and her sisters were interviewed a few months ago by someone with Houston Arts and Media about their experiences growing up in Montrose in the 1940s and 50s. I don't know if these interviews will be transcribed and posted online. I hope so.

I love Story Corp that they play on NPR on Friday mornings. They aren't transcribed, though. But the stories that arise from interviews with average folks are just wonderful.

That's really cool that your mother and aunts were interviewed. I would love to hear what they had to say about Montrose in that time period - and I bet others would be interested as well. I really do hope the interviews will be transcribed.

Thanks for the tip re the NPR show - I hadn't heard about it before.

That's really cool that your mother and aunts were interviewed. I would love to hear what they had to say about Montrose in that time period - and I bet others would be interested as well. I really do hope the interviews will be transcribed.

Thanks for the tip re the NPR show - I hadn't heard about it before.

The have been doing that for a long time. There was a portable trailor stationed at Hermann Park for people to walk in and get taped. By now there have been thousands that have given a short story of their lives. This little trailer was being moved around the country so that hundreds more could contribute. Most are very good, sad and happy but it's all so interesting. We should find out when it may come back?

Reminder: Never ignore or dismiss our elders as just old people. These people are living history and have experienced way more than us young whipper-snappers could ever know. I am constantly asking older folks of life back when. One of the most interesting I can think of was when I lived and worked in LA years ago and I knew an elderly man. He told me as a young guy moving to LA with a brother to get in the silent film industry. It was like a time machine. Heres this 90 plus yr old man telling me of his experiences when the city was small and just sprouting. I was tripping to say the least. Gotta love these people. :)

Never ignore or dismiss our elders as just old people. These people are living history and have experienced way more than us young whipper-snappers could ever know.

That is so true. Everybody has a story and you might be surprised just who that is standing next to you in line at the grocery store. That is why I enjoyed being a newspaper reporter, you got to meet so many interesting people with interesting tales to tell.

Have you ever helped create an oral history, either as an interviewer or interviewee? Have you ever thought about doing one?

(The Texas Historical Commission and Houston Arts & Media both have suggestions for interviewers.)

Happy new year.

For my own research, I have interviewed over 50 people collecting oral or life histories. As part of a larger oral history project that documented the lives of Black under segregation, I interviewed and collected oral histories of 30 people who worked in segregated schools prior to Brown vs Board in 1954 and then began working in desegregated schools in the early civil rights period. After transcribing and editing the oral histories, I used the material in several published articles. Later, I used 20 of the edited oral histories in a book I published. Copies of the transcripts are housed in 3 university library collections.

For a separate study about Haitian immigrants, I interviewed 25 Haitian American women who were born in Haiti but later immigrated and were living in the US when they were interviewed. These interviews were conducted in French, Haitian Creole and/or English.

That is so true. Everybody has a story and you might be surprised just who that is standing next to you in line at the grocery store. That is why I enjoyed being a newspaper reporter, you got to meet so many interesting people with interesting tales to tell.

One of the most amazing stories I know was from an old barber we knew. Went into detail about his being a POW in Nazi Germany back in the 40's. Was very hard for him to tell as it brought back horrific memories. He wanted for me to hear it. It was tough listening without getting choked up. I always loved history.

• 6 months later...

I just couldn't resist. Here are two awesome looks at the past of one of our largest cities. The first one captures the street cars of the 1950's in LA. (Be sure to check out the background buildings, cars, people). Then a 1937 new line inaguaration by Ms S Temple.

The 3rd is of one of the most famous hotels and night clubs ever known in old Hollywood. The Ambassador and the Coconut Grove Night Club.

All now just memories and recreated in recent films. Just can't get enough! :D

http://www.pcdon.com/bus-streetcar-icon.jpg

• 4 months later...

Found this link while searching recently, wanted to share...(sure it's been mentioned before, couldn't find it though, moderators feel free to move if need be). Note the article/presentation is from year 2000, ...Found it particularly interesting because of the old bldg pics & histories. For instance, it mentions Sears (Main St) original layout (p.69), a subject I have verified recently with Sanborn maps. Don't know if all of the original master plan has been implemented.

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/planning...rplanrecent.pdf

I don't think any of the plan was implemented. It wasn't exactly a plan, more like a collection of ideas for what could be done. I remember when it came out they had an exhibition about it in the Allen Center lobby.

I recall interviewing several of the people involved in developing this "plan", and they all said it's just a wish list. Things they would like to see done along Main St.

There are some nice ideas in it, but there's nothing official about it.

Personally I don't think any of it will come to pass in any form in my lifetime.

You mean like the space needle on page 13? HAA!

Fun reading. Thanks for posting!

Oh, guess I missed that... :huh::P ..was searching for info. on the Sears Bldgs & ran across the link, thought the presentation was nice, once you reach the history part. To tell you the truth, I didn't check it all out yet. I mainly liked it for the old bldg pics & histories. Many of those motels on S. Main are no longer standing. You're welcome.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

1)Back in the late 50s my mom would drive to a 2-story house on old Mac Gregor east of Almeda Rd. now 288 and the woman who owned the house made pies that she sold. On certain days of the week she would be open to sell the pies, cars would fill the driveway and the street with people buying her pies. We would buy 4 pies at a time 2 cherry, 1 lemon meringue, 1 coconut cream. Sometimes mom would just buy 3 cherry pies. Never had a cherry pie as good since.

2)In 1978 they built a new street running north off Westheimer it was either West Belt, Kirkwood or City W. Blvd. the road had a big bend in it that turned right and at the end of that bend someone built a huge up scale Tex-mex Mexican restaurant my ex-wife and I ate there several times before we left to move to Louisiana, the food was great. It kind of reminded it being sort of like Don Pablo's in style but I know it wasn't. Anyone remember that place and the name?

3)Down in Seabrook just west of the 1st boat shed of Seabrook Ship Yard was/is a small seafood restaurant I see on google earth the building is still there. I can't remember the name of that restaurant. From 63-67 my dad had a 36 ft. Owens cabin cruiser docked there in the 1st shed and many a Sat. night we would walk from the boat to that restaurant. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the place.

4)A Italian restaurant on 518 west of 146 out of Kemah. I think it was called Papa something but maybe completely wrong about that. That's where I 1st ate clam spaghetti, I've never eaten any better than that guys. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Any help in jogging my brain is appreciated.

TIA

2)In 1978 they built a new street running north off Westheimer it was either West Belt, Kirkwood or City W. Blvd. the road had a big bend in it that turned right and at the end of that bend someone built a huge up scale Tex-mex Mexican restaurant my ex-wife and I ate there several times before we left to move to Louisiana, the food was great. It kind of reminded it being sort of like Don Pablo's in style but I know it wasn't. Anyone remember that place and the name?

I may be completely wrong, but here goes. I think the street was West Belt (now of course the SH tollway, or Beltway.) I remember the restaurant - went to a wedding reception there - but like you, I can't remember the name. My brain is trying to tell me that it was (something) de los Martinos, but I am not sure.

I am going to do a little research and I may get back to you.

• 2 years later...

Ok, so those of us who want to take a break ( like we really every could) from all the Houston Happenings, I thought it would be cool to explore our collective conscience and cite what we miss. Let me set the scene; I am only 46, so it's not like I am ancient, but I miss Tinsleys Chicken. I miss Pipe Organ Pizza and Peppermint Park. I wish Jack in the Box was still the crazy clown in a box. I miss roller rinks and roadside BBQ stands. ( the one my parents went to sold Halloween masks, you know the kind with the string attched, and inflatable bunny rabbits at Easter). I miss Ferrels (sp?) and Heap O Cream. I miss the funky clubs in Montrose and those after clubs, (LOVED Club SOME). I miss those massive HTown ditches in neighborhoods. I miss the fall carnivals. I miss Delaware Punch at Churches Chkn.

I know change is then only constant and progress is inevitable, but, well, if you want a walk down memory lane, then share it with our fellow HAIFERs. Oh yeah, and thank you Jack in the Box for making your tacos taste EXACTLY the same for the past 30 years! ;)

Archived