Hermann Park At 6100 Hermann Park Dr.

Maybe Feast can put that on the menu: Roast Nutria with Kudzu Salad (and Smallpox for dessert).

With a confit of cow eyeball on the side.

The smallpox dessert is a nice touch, Attica, since Feast appears to be more in the European tradition. On that note, it's lunch time. My low sodium microwave soup sure doesn't sound very exciting now.

I'm sorry to have to assert authority here, but everyone knows nutria gumbo is the only way to eat that rat.

A new twist on an old classic

Alligators LOVE the nutria. I would think Louisiana would not have much of a nutria problem....My ranch HAD plenty of nutria, then the Hurricane pushed alot more alligators than normal onto our property b/c we were the only freshwater left for a pretty good distance, and low and behold we no longer have a nutria infestation. Though we do still have alot of alligators.

Those nutria can get to be about 25lbs or so when there are no predators....we had a huge one on our front pond then one day it was gone, and a 9' alligator was seen. I assume the alligator ate well.

Before nutria:

53.jpg

After nutria:

52.jpg

http://www.nutria.com/site.php

The funny thing is, back when fur was a popular accoutrement, the nutria population was steady as excess population was annually culled to make coats. Now, wearing fur is a social faux pas, and these little rats are running amok and eating all the flora in their path. Thanks for the anti-fur ads, Peta!

Alligators LOVE the nutria. I would think Louisiana would not have much of a nutria problem....My ranch HAD plenty of nutria, then the Hurricane pushed alot more alligators than normal onto our property b/c we were the only freshwater left for a pretty good distance, and low and behold we no longer have a nutria infestation. Though we do still have alot of alligators.

Those nutria can get to be about 25lbs or so when there are no predators....we had a huge one on our front pond then one day it was gone, and a 9' alligator was seen. I assume the alligator ate well.

The problem is, if an alligator eats a 15 pounder, he won't eat again for at least a week. Damned ectotherms and their conservation of internal energy.

You need a ton of alligators to keep the nutria population under control.

The problem is, if an alligator eats a 15 pounder, he won't eat again for at least a week. Damned ectotherms and their conservation of internal energy.

You need a ton of alligators to keep the nutria population under control.

I knew the nutria were bad, but I didnt know they decimated wetlands. I will have to aid the alligators in the destruction of the nutria, the same as I do my fields with the destruction of feral hogs...I believe feral hogs are a much more severe problem than the nutria, but thats probably for another thread.

In my experience with Alligators, it seems to me that they are primarily opportunity feeders - they will eat when an opportunity arises, regardless of whether or not they are hungry. During alligator season, I have had a single alligator eat 3 chickens in one day, only to be caught on the 4th chicken. There is no way that little 6.5' gator was hungry after eating 3 4lb chickens...but when you let that chicken rot in the sun for 10 days prior to stringing it up, that smell is like heaven to them, and they wont turn down a free meal.

I would assume its the same with the nutria. They probably wont hunt one down, but if it happens to be in the area...I would guess that nutria would be dinner regardless of whether the alligator was full or hungry.

• 11 months later...

It broke ground last month.

will connect cyclists on bayou trails to the heart of Hermann Park.

The Bill Coats Bike Bridge should be complete in around seven months.

The modern, arched $3.6 million bridge will span more than 290 feet across Brays Bayou. Significant funding was provided by federal programs, along with 20 percent of necessary funds coming from the city of Houston.

http://culturemap.com/newsdetail/11-10-10-crowd-turns-out-to-break-ground-on-bill-coats-memorial-bike-bridge/

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

http://www.mc2archit...id=81&Itemid=87

• Like 2

Location...

pedbridge.jpg

I wonder why they chose this location. Anyone from the area who is a runner/cyclist also think there was a need for a connection here?

I'm not familiar with the park space that it connects to. I know it's mainly a golf course at that point, but I'm assuming there are running/bike trails that go around the course as well?

I wonder why they chose this location. Anyone from the area who is a runner/cyclist also think there was a need for a connection here?

I'm not familiar with the park space that it connects to. I know it's mainly a golf course at that point, but I'm assuming there are running/bike trails that go around the course as well?

I was a bit confused by that, too. First, note that they have apparently tunneled a trail under MacGregor at that same location to take people into Hermann Park. Then I looked at the greater scheme of the trails in the area. The trail on the west/nortth bank is not fully contiguous east of 288. Not only is the east/south bank trail contiguous all the way to MLK just south of UH, it also intersects the Columbia Tap Rail Trail coming out of 3rd Ward/Eastwood.

So, to go by trail from Eastwood or UH to Hermann Park, this bridge would be an important link because people would otherwise have to cross around 288 or near the TMC. I have not walked/run/biked any of these trails, but that's my theory.