Hermann Park At 6100 Hermann Park Dr.

one could argue that the Herman park area of Houston could rival any public park space in the country. Its very nice and the trees are wonderful as well as all of the amenities nearby like the rail and the museums and restaurants. Not many cities have great park areas like this.

the friend i brought downtown couldn't believe that houston had public spaces like hermann park & discovery green. she's lived in northern suburbs for years and does not know what houston has to offer. it was fun to see her get excited over houston.

one could argue that the Herman park area of Houston could rival any public park space in the country. Its very nice and the trees are wonderful as well as all of the amenities nearby like the rail and the museums and restaurants. Not many cities have great park areas like this.

I couldn't agree with you more; I love Herman park. I've said before that it's my favorite part of Houston.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree completely. Most people who haven't been to Houston would never believe it if you tried to tell them there are such nice areas in the city.

What's frustrating is the beating Houston takes in forums like skyscraper.com. It's as if there are forumers that lurk in forums like that for the sole purpose of bashing Houston. Thank goodness for HAIF, which is much more fair for the most part.

I agree completely. Most people who haven't been to Houston would never believe it if you tried to tell them there are such nice areas in the city.

What's frustrating is the beating Houston takes in forums like skyscraper.com. It's as if there are forumers that lurk in forums like that for the sole purpose of bashing Houston. Thank goodness for HAIF, which is much more fair for the most part.

Correction...I meant skyscraperpage.com.

Its very nice and the trees are wonderful as well as all of the amenities nearby like the rail and the museums and restaurants

I agree. Hermann Park rocks. It's also one of my favorite parts of H-Town. But as far as restaurants go, I'd say that there are too few in walking distance of the park, but hopefully that is changing.

Last time my mom was here (last summer), we went for a walk in the park and we got hungry at some point but realized that there was absolutely nowhere to eat within walking distance except Cafe Express at MFAH. I'm not sure if the restaurant at ZaZa is open for lunch but it's expensive. But since then, we have Bodega's Taco Shop down the street from my apartment, as well as the new hamburger place opening in the park. The snack options at Rice improved a bit (Brochstein Pavillion), and the eating options in the med center has improved (Sandela's, and Cliff's at the Baylor Faculty Center which is just two metro stations away from the park - and admittedly there has always been a Chipotle and a Chinese places there too). So I think things are improving in terms of restaurants around Hermann Park.

What I like about these new places is that all of them have no parking or minimal parking available (Bodega's has a few spots on the street), They all basically rely on foot traffic from businesses/residents/hospitals/universities nearby, and all of them seem to be incredibly successful. I like to see that places can succeed without being in a strip center or having a huge parking lot out front.

Edited by Jax

I checked out the new taco place on Caroline near the entrance to the park at the HMNS. It was pretty good. Slow, but the food was good. Basics: tacos, burritos, quesadillas. Plus they have a little patio outside, a bar inside, good music. Definitely a good option to have near the park.

No doubt, Hermann Park is really one of Houston's greatest assets. It is a truly great urban park that dramatically compliments its more natural sibling, Memorial Park; another of the city's spectacular jewels!

I also enjoyed the pics of the International Fest -- that has always been one of my favorite events in Houston. The city does a great job of highlighting its international culture amidst an event that appeals to so many diverse segments of the population.

I checked out the new taco place on Caroline near the entrance to the park at the HMNS. It was pretty good. Slow, but the food was good. Basics: tacos, burritos, quesadillas. Plus they have a little patio outside, a bar inside, good music. Definitely a good option to have near the park.

Yeah, and great addition to the Museum District.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Parking isn't an issue, just park at a location that is close to a rail stop and take the rail the rest of the way! Midtown is an excellent place to do this, there is plenty of free parking on the side of the streets within a block or two of rail stops, and the rail stop by the park is so close.

Much better than fighting traffic to get into Hermann park, and then surf the lots trying to find something.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Those are beavers. And they're friendly, in my mind the most humbling and teriffic amenity of Hermann Park.

Haha, no. Nutria rat. Not beavers. Long rat tail, orange teeth versus flat and not orange. Invasive species, kill them! At least that's what we say in the marshes of Louisiana.

• Like 2

Haha, no. Nutria rat. Not beavers. Long rat tail, orange teeth versus flat and not orange. Invasive species, kill them! At least that's what we say in the marshes of Louisiana.

It's amazing how we play God with mother nature. Beaver? OK. Nutria: Kill it. Poor nutrias. All they are trying to do is make it in this world, like all of us... and here we are, trying to annihilate their entire existence. I wonder what the conversation is like around the diner table in a family of nutrias: "Boy, it sucks being us... "

Ah, I didn't notice the orange teeth.

Sometimes the embracing of a supposed weakness can be a tremendous strength. Like the term 'yankee' during the American Revolution. I still say that these are an amenity.

Ah, I didn't notice the orange teeth.

Sometimes the embracing of a supposed weakness can be a tremendous strength. Like the term 'yankee' during the American Revolution. I still say that these are an amenity.

Eh... no. Ecologically speaking, invasive species generally cause far more harm than good. For proof of this, look at the wild rabbits in Australia, the brown snake on a number of Pacific islands, kudzu in the American southeast or even smallpox in the Americas with the arrival of the white man. I say kill the nutria with a vengeance and to hell with their dinner conversations.

• Like 1

Eh... no. Ecologically speaking, invasive species generally cause far more harm than good. For proof of this, look at the wild rabbits in Australia, the brown snake on a number of Pacific islands, kudzu in the American southeast or even smallpox in the Americas with the arrival of the white man. I say kill the nutria with a vengeance and to hell with their dinner conversations.

Generally speaking, I don't give a nutria's ass about generalities.

It's amazing how we play God with mother nature. Beaver? OK. Nutria: Kill it. Poor nutrias. All they are trying to do is make it in this world, like all of us... and here we are, trying to annihilate their entire existence. I wonder what the conversation is like around the diner table in a family of nutrias: "Boy, it sucks being us... "

Yeah they are kinda creepy. A small group of them stared at me whilst I ate my triple cheeseburger the other day I was there. The thing that got me was that they didn't blink. They just stared and stared at me with those little beady eyes... very disconcerting.

Generally speaking?

George+Washington+1782+painting.jpg

Forsooth!

That man's belly looks as if he just had a nice dinner composed of nutrias and cow's tongue.