Hermann Park At 6100 Hermann Park Dr.

• 3 weeks later...

I visited the new and improving Hermann Park today when I took my 2 year old niece to ride the new train. As someone who grew up on the old trains, the new train ride just wasn't the same to me. The shiny new train looked nice, but I missed the smell of the diesel exhaust (I think it was diesel) going through the old tunnel filled with crazy dancing figures. They have a tunnel now, but it's just a warehouse with a door at each end (I kid you not). Except for a few portions, the train follows an all new path, and you can really get a good view of the changes occuring at the park. Gravel walkways, nicer landscaping, etc...

Part of me misses the old park, but another part is glad to see new air being breathed into the park.

I visited the new and improving Hermann Park today when I took my 2 year old niece to ride the new train. As someone who grew up on the old trains, the new train ride just wasn't the same to me. The shiny new train looked nice, but I missed the smell of the diesel exhaust (I think it was diesel) going through the old tunnel filled with crazy dancing figures. They have a tunnel now, but it's just a warehouse with a door at each end (I kid you not). Except for a few portions, the train follows an all new path, and you can really get a good view of the changes occuring at the park. Gravel walkways, nicer landscaping, etc...

Part of me misses the old park, but another part is glad to see new air being breathed into the park.

Thanks for the update, was wondering about that, took a ride on it before the changes for old times sake...that tunnel was a little cheesy, with those figures, but the ride was great, very long, gave you a good view of the park layout. Will have to check it out. <_< Where did all those old mini trains go?

• 2 months later...
Jesus! For the love of God! Those are NUTREAS!!! Don't feed those BY HAND! God people! The Louisiana State Police go out and shoot these things, every night, for clogging up the sewers!

Eh, I'm from LA, we're used to them. That wasn't me feeding them by hand though. I stay away from bright orange teeth as a rule. I would love to collect $3 a head though...OR, they could take them as a barter for the train tickets, which are $2.50. The extra 50 cents they would get could go toward cold storage or butchering while they stockpile between trips to the wildlife department to collect the bounty.

EDIT: And no, not my slippers. I don't think my feet were ever as small as baby girl's.

Edited by 20thStDad

Maybe those nutria rats are the new food source for gators at the Houston Zoo. I know the zoo in NOLA uses nutria rats for that very purpose. It's a good deal, a free food source for the gators located just steps away from the entrance, how much money would they save? :D

• 1 month later...

Here are some photos of the Hermann Park construction. Maybe we can change the title of this thread to "Hermann Park Construction" or something, as there is no other Hermann Park thread that I can find except one specifically about the train, and another from 2004.

Maybe this could also be moved to Going Up as well, as it's still under construction.

The new parts of the park including several buildings which remind me a bit of Disco Green are supposed to open in March.

Sorry about the not so great photos. I didn't have time to edit crop or rotate any of them.

gallery_3613_38_46087.jpg

gallery_3613_38_1244.jpg

gallery_3613_38_306080.jpg

gallery_3613_38_509021.jpg

Edited by Jax

• 1 month later...

What, I thought this was just a "test" bridge when i first saw it.

Sorry, i truly love Hermann Park and the Conservation Society and all they do, but to me this looks not so great for a million bucks?

If this is the much vaunted "Tiffany Bridge" then sorry its a SIGH from me... I thought it would be much more pretty, ornate and grand looking, not some steel thing that looks like something like the Core of Engineers would fling up in a logistical flooding emergency. Where is the "arched" design in the bridge as above in first post???

Or maybe I'm just not looking at it right????! I hate to criticise when its better than nothing, I just think the Park deserves more.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong and this thing looks awesome.

Confused :(

Edited by houstonranger

Sorry, i truly love Hermann Park and the Conservation Society and all they do, but to me this looks not so great for a million bucks?

If this is the much vaunted "Tiffany Bridge" then sorry its a SIGH from me... I thought it would be much more pretty, ornate and grand looking, not some steel thing that looks like something like the Core of Engineers would fling up in a logistical flooding emergency. Where is the "arched" design in the bridge as above in first post???

Or maybe I'm just not looking at it right????! I hate to criticise when its better than nothing, I just think the Park deserves more.

I'll try to check out this weekend, but yeah I agree. That looks pretty underwhelming for the amount of money spent on it.

I've seen it myself, defo not the photo Jax :)

I went to see this today again and actually I think the bridge is not finished yet, there are brackets along the top of the railing on both sides that look like something is still to be added...and the bridge is closed off again...

The rest of the work around the bridge is great.....new station, buildings, trees, landscaping around lake etc are all super...!

I went to see this today again and actually I think the bridge is not finished yet, there are brackets along the top of the railing on both sides that look like something is still to be added...and the bridge is closed off again...

The rest of the work around the bridge is great.....new station, buildings, trees, landscaping around lake etc are all super...!

I think that they read this thread and decided that they better make further improvements. :rolleyes:

i really havent been to Hermann Park in a really long time. hearing about all these improvements really make me want to go down there and check it out :)

and yeah that bridge looks pretty lame.

should have taken that million and build a bridge out of one million dollar bills >.<

We went Sunday and I hated it. The park is way too popular now. All of these improvements have brought out the worst sort of people, the kind that breathe and move about and park. Four or five years ago we could go on a nice Sunday afternoon and there were 1/3rd the number of humans there. The bridge was ugly and we saw a duck commit murder. My wife was upset by it, but we don't know the whole story. The dead duck could have killed the other duck's father, for all we know.

Oh, and if you're going to look at the zoo's red panda ("The Cutest Animal In The World!"), don't bother. It's just a raccoon.

We went Sunday and I hated it. The park is way too popular now.

Hermann Park way too popular? I can't believe it! Even before the expansion, I found some Sundays resulted in no parking to be found on the grounds. I can't imagine the situation now.

we saw a duck commit murder. My wife was upset by it, but we don't know the whole story. The dead duck could have killed the other duck's father, for all we know.

Dang inner-city ducks. Such a thing never would've happened at Armand Bayou!

Oh, and if you're going to look at the zoo's red panda ("The Cutest Animal In The World!"), don't bother. It's just a raccoon.

Yeah, that thing does look like they swiped a raccoon from the woods by Brays Bayou and dipped it in a barrel of red paint, lol.

We went Sunday and I hated it. The park is way too popular now. All of these improvements have brought out the worst sort of people, the kind that breathe and move about and park. Four or five years ago we could go on a nice Sunday afternoon and there were 1/3rd the number of humans there. The bridge was ugly and we saw a duck commit murder. My wife was upset by it, but we don't know the whole story. The dead duck could have killed the other duck's father, for all we know.

This post has me LOL, literally. I saw that Red Panda on the news and I'm like Hello y'all, that's a coon.

The bridge is kind of silly and completely unnecessary. I was also really opposed to all the other development at that end of the park, but last time I was there it definitely grew on me. If they could just do something about the smell of rotting organic matter that permeates the park, it would be great.

You're problem is going on a Sunday. I wouldn't go anywhere near Hermann Park on a weekend unless a hurricane was close to bearing down on us. It's definitely overcrowded and uncomfortable with that many people.

Edited by barracuda

I actually kind of like the fact that there are people around when I go to the park. if I want to get away from people I'll go walk around downtown on a Sunday morning or go out to the country. I've only lived in H-Town since summer of 2006 and ever since I've been here the park has been popular. I've also never driven to the park (I always walk/bike) so I don't have to deal with traffic.

• 3 weeks later...

one could argue that the Herman park area of Houston could rival any public park space in the country. Its very nice and the trees are wonderful as well as all of the amenities nearby like the rail and the museums and restaurants. Not many cities have great park areas like this.