Hermann Park At 6100 Hermann Park Dr.

Nice pictures - I sorta miss living over there.

And the blue stuff...looks like an Icee explosion!

131.jpg

I love this house. It actually sports a chimney too! Just needs some TLC.

and your right about the blue splash. Maybe a Smurf caught his hand in the door? ja ja

Edited by Vertigo58

• 4 weeks later...

Construction began this week on a $15 million Hermann Park renovation project that will require a year-long closure of an area known as Lake Plaza, surrounding the park's McGovern Lake.

The lake itself will remain open, and popular activities such as the paddle boats and the park's mini-train will continue to operate, although people will access these features from new locations. The Lake Plaza area will be closed from the front edge of the central parking lot to the lake.

When the work is completed, Lake Plaza will be almost twice its current size and will provide improved access to the zoo, a renovated paddle boat facility with a new boathouse, a new mini-train depot with satellite stations around the park, a new food pavilion and a new bridge across the lake.

full article

Edited by musicman

Sounds pretty cool, especially since I spend a lot of time in Hermann Park. Last time my mom visited and we went for a walk, we got hungry but were unable to think of anywhere to eat (so we just had ice cream for lunch). I think the small cafe will be nice. I don't know how I feel about a year long closure, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

That's great news. Hermann Park really is a fantastic park. It is packed on the weekends and actually very populated during the week as well. It reminds me of Regent's Park in London. Lots of stuff to do...but lots of open space. Very European.

I'm glad that the city isn't neglecting this park. Disco Green will be a great addition, but I don't think it will ever measure up to Hermann.

• 2 months later...

More info from Houstonist about the Lake Plaza redevelopment plus a new campaign from the Houston: It's Worth It crew about an art project that's going to be part of the refurbishment:

Houston: It's Worth It and the Hermann Park Conservancy organization have partnered up to get Houstonians to share these memories with the rest of the city just in time for park's centennial celebration. As part of the $15 million renovation of the Lake Plaza, HIWI and the Conservancy are asking people throughout the city to contribute a few words about why Hermann Park is "especially unique, surprising, or just generally charming." The most eloquent, witty, or just plain offbeat entries will be etched into stone for a public art project that will be on display at the park. Other chosen entries will be displayed on LCD screens at the entrance to the park during the celebration, which is slated to take place in March 2009.

Entire article is here: Set In Stone.

Very exciting! B)

• 1 month later...

Herman park is already packed on weekends. IMO they don't need more attractions. If anything, it needs more green space.

And personally, I don't really care to smell burning cattle carcasses while I'm trying to enjoy the park. I get enough of that from the Becks when I visit Memorial Park. But I guess you can't have a park in Houston without the smell of burning meat everywhere.

Edited by barracuda

Herman park is already packed on weekends. IMO they don't need more attractions. If anything, it needs more green space.

And personally, I don't really care to smell burning cattle carcasses while I'm trying to enjoy the park. I get enough of that from the Becks when I visit Memorial Park. But I guess you can't have a park in Houston without the smell of burning meat everywhere.

Burning cattle carcasses??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man, did you ever pick the wrong city to live in if you don't like the smell of meat cooking... I hear San Francisco is lovely; why not give it a try? ;)

I am excited for this place, but I do agree about the lack of greenspace at Hermann Park. It is very big, but it has gotten so popular that it's hard to find any open space.

I would love it if a great lawn was developed so that you had space to throw the frisbee around, lay out, put together a touch football game, etc.

Burning cattle carcasses??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man, did you ever pick the wrong city to live in if you don't like the smell of meat cooking... I hear San Francisco is lovely; why not give it a try? ;)

Well, it's annoying when you're running at Memorial, trying to be healthy and all, and all you can smell is smoke coming from the Becks Prime near the driving range. It also seems like overkill to build one at Herman Park when there are thousands of burger places in the city already. But apparently, some people need the enticement of hamburgers to draw them to visit a park. :P

And actually, Houston is an awesome city for people who like variety and/or those who don't eat meat.

Well, it's annoying when you're running at Memorial, trying to be healthy and all, and all you can smell is smoke coming from the Becks Prime near the driving range. It also seems like overkill to build one at Herman Park when there are thousands of burger places in the city already. But apparently, some people need the enticement of hamburgers to draw them to visit a park. :P

And actually, Houston is an awesome city for people who like variety and/or those who don't eat meat.

Jeez... get over yourself.

Herman Park is 445-acres... most dense activity is centralized near the lake/zoo area, which is where the 1600-sq ft cafe is going. There is plenty of space to do your own thing. The Hermann Park Conservancy is responding to public demand to improve the park experience.

Edited by wernicke

Jeez... get over yourself.

Herman Park is 445-acres... most dense activity is centralized near the lake/zoo area, which is where the 1600-sq ft cafe is going. There is plenty of space to do your own thing. The Hermann Park Conservancy is responding to public demand to improve the park experience.

Okay, I'm over myself.

Oh wait, maybe they should put an oil drilling platform on the lake at Hermann Park as well. No point in leaving any open park space unused. (J/K) ^_^

• 1 month later...

Check this out from HBJ.

The Tiffany & Co. Foundation has granted three organizations, including the Hermann Park Conservancy in Houston, $2.75 million for restoration of parks and gardens.

Hermann Park will receive $1 million to build The Tiffany & Co. Foundation Bridge at Lake Plaza. The bridge will have an arched design and serve as a focal point of the park and plaza.

Lake Plaza, currently under construction, is a LEED certified project. It is expected to be completed in March.

Hermann Park Bridge

I noticed them building the mini-train's new stops near the TMC (across from Palmer/Hermann) and the Rice rail stop. Should be interesting.

that gave me a very funny image of a bunch of folks in scrubs, parking their cars in the free zoo lot at about 7:00 a.m. and piling into the mini-train for a ride to work. I hope they at least wave to people as they go by, like the usual mini-train riders do.

that gave me a very funny image of a bunch of folks in scrubs, parking their cars in the free zoo lot at about 7:00 a.m. and piling into the mini-train for a ride to work. I hope they at least wave to people as they go by, like the usual mini-train riders do.

Ben Taub and Memorial Hermann are the two hospitals close to the park and they both have parking arrangements for their employees. On the other hand I see patients and their visitors trying this.

Nevermind. A press release was posted on the Hermann Park website today that says, "The entire Lake Plaza is a LEED certified project scheduled for completion in March 2009". I assume this includes the bridge.

The entire Hermann Park project is scheduled from completion in 2014.

I knew there were some things going on over there, but I didn't know about all of this.

http://www.hermannpark.org/tiffanypressrelease.htm

Nevermind. A press release was posted on the Hermann Park website today that says, "The entire Lake Plaza is a LEED certified project scheduled for completion in March 2009". I assume this includes the bridge.

The entire Hermann Park project is scheduled from completion in 2014.

I knew there were some things going on over there, but I didn't know about all of this.

http://www.hermannpark.org/tiffanypressrelease.htm

Thanks for the link. Strange that there don't seem to be any renderings floating around out there.

I noticed them building the mini-train's new stops near the TMC (across from Palmer/Hermann) and the Rice rail stop. Should be interesting.

Heard the mini-train station was going to be remodeled. Has that happened yet? Have always wanted to get a pic of the old station location, with all those old miniature trains in their little graveyard. Thought the old train entrance would change, per the renovations elsewhere in the park. I wish those little trains could tell us where they all came from, just love them.

Heard the mini-train station was going to be remodeled. Has that happened yet? Have always wanted to get a pic of the old station location, with all those old miniature trains in their little graveyard. Thought the old train entrance would change, per the renovations elsewhere in the park. I wish those little trains could tell us where they all came from, just love them.

I don't know, but they are working on the new train station by the Rice U/Hermann Park Light Rail station.