lockmat

Rice Village Arcade "renovation" & future mixed-use

11 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Update on Sixty Vines from Community Impact last week:

Plano-based wine bar Sixty Vines is slated to open its first Houston location at 2540 University Blvd. in late July. 

https://communityimpact.com/local-news/houston/bellaire-meyerland-west-university/news/2019/06/07/sixty-vines-to-open-wine-bar-in-rice-village/

Scratch that. Sixty Vines is opening in the fall at Rice Village.

From Houston Chronicle today:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Dallas-import-Sixty-Vines-is-heading-to-Rice-13969029.php

• Like 1

On 6/13/2014 at 10:31 AM, Luminare said:

Jane Jacobs example works really good when the historic area is already in an urban setting.

A book that's really good about discussing character of spaces and what makes for good spaces and areas with identities is Kevin Lynch's, "Image of a City". Of course there are suburban neighborhoods which should try to preserve their identity, but since the ones we talk about everyday are in areas which should have been urbanized long ago it's hard to preserve them 😕

The growing pains that Houston is going through, and will maintain into the future, is reconciling with the fact that almost the entire city has been suburban or even "sub-rural", if you will, for so long that because of the explosion of growth and race to densify almost the entire city is vulnerable in terms of its suburban fabric and architecture. It doesn't help that the draconian laws that prevented urbanization inside the loop for two decades further solidified these areas as suburban planted on quality urban plots. I guarantee you that if those laws were not in place that whole area would already been mid-rise just keep with demand to be closer to market areas such as this.

It's an architectural discourse that has be presented and discussed. We will probably have these same conversations years later with more of East Downtown and more of Washington Ave get further redevelopment because they have such a low-rise architectural fabric it simply will be difficult for the city to preserve these parts of our history.

Well said 

If they can integrate greenery onto the parking structures that would be awesome.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Update on Mendocino Farms Rice Village restaurant at 5510 Morningside Dr, Suite 120, Houston.

It's opening next month, July 18.

https://www.mendocinofarms.com/ricevillage/

I'll try and snap photos of the inside this weekend if I can, and around Rice Village.

Wow that is awesome! From the looks of it, they haven't even begun to do any work at all on the Uptown Park location. I can't wait to check out the Rice Village location just to get an idea of what to expect!

5 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Update on Mendocino Farms Rice Village restaurant at 5510 Morningside Dr, Suite 120, Houston.

It's opening next month, July 18.

https://www.mendocinofarms.com/ricevillage/

I'll try and snap photos of the inside this weekend if I can, and around Rice Village.

Those sandwiches look really good.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Trademark Property is no longer managing Rice Village District. Almost all trace of Rice Village properties has been removed from their website.

Rice Village District has removed all Trademark Property leasing details and other related information for its website too.

Listed as a leasing contact is EDGE Realty Partners.

I think the change happened this spring or possibly earlier in the year.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 4

Has anyone heard any updates on the proposed Dat Dog build out?  On the corner lot right next to Mendocino Farms.  I recall the liquor license being approved a while back, but still no activity on the site.  I think it would be great to see that stretch of outdoor patios on Morningside continue.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, talltexan83 said:

Has anyone heard any updates on the proposed Dat Dog build out?  On the corner lot right next to Mendocino Farms.  I recall the liquor license being approved a while back, but still no activity on the site.  I think it would be great to see that stretch of outdoor patios on Morningside continue.

They're not opening until early 2020.

Also it's not part of Rice Village Arcade renovation. Dat Dog is located in another building that's unrelated to the Rice Village development now under management by Edge Realty. And more reason that there needs to be a forum for the area that consists of Boulevard Oaks, Rice Village, and West U, so there can be dedicated threads for buildings, lots, and new developments in those areas.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Mods @Triton @Urbannizer @Subdude

Can you please consider moving this thread to the "Other Neighborhoods" forum since @editor has not created a forum for the Rice Village and West U area?

The proposed hotel isn't going up anytime soon. Until it does, maybe this thread would be a better fit in the "Other Neighborhoods" forum (not the West Loop since this is more West U and Rice Village than West Loop). Most of the updates are about renovations to the existing building of Village Arcade and the shops surrounding Rice Village District. 

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/forum/34-other-houston-neighborhoods/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

They're not opening until early 2020.

Also it's not part of Rice Village Arcade renovation. Dat Dog is located in another building that's unrelated to the Rice Village development now under management by Edge Realty. And more reason that there needs to be a forum for the area that consists of Boulevard Oaks, Rice Village, and West U, so there can be dedicated threads for buildings, lots, and new developments in those areas.

Ok, thanks.  I just know that Dat Dog first mentioned this location back in early 2018, so I wonder how serious the early 2020 date is now.

I'm fine with everything going on in the Rice Village falling under this thread.....updates from the various projects seem to come in slow drips anyways.  But you keep doing you.....I applaud your very persistent efforts on a lot of these threads.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Mods @Triton @Urbannizer @Subdude

Can you please consider moving this thread to the "Other Neighborhoods" forum since @editor has not created a forum for the Rice Village and West U area?

The proposed hotel isn't going up anytime soon. Until it does, maybe this thread would be a better fit in the "Other Neighborhoods" forum (not the West Loop since this is more West U and Rice Village than West Loop). Most of the updates are about renovations to the existing building of Village Arcade and the shops surrounding Rice Village District. 

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/forum/34-other-houston-neighborhoods/

I would agree with this as well. Most of the major alterations have been completed. Now you just have small buildouts, renovations, or reuses.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 2:00 PM, Luminare said:

I would agree with this as well. Most of the major alterations have been completed. Now you just have small buildouts, renovations, or reuses.

Exactamundo.

exactly GIF

From Bellaire Buzz on Mendcino Farms at Rice Village:

The restaurant sits between Hopdoddy and D’Amico’s Italian Market. The front of the restaurant features a dog-friendly patio space that seats 56 people and also includes corn hole and a foosball table, adding to the restaurant’s vibe as a neighborhood hangout spot.

https://thebuzzmagazines.com/articles/2019/07/houston-welcomes-socal-eatery-mendocino-farms

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2019 at 6:09 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Trademark Property is no longer managing Rice Village District. Almost all trace of Rice Village properties has been removed from their website.

Rice Village District has removed all Trademark Property leasing details and other related information for its website too.

More on the change in management of Rice Village and clarification on the real estate company that's taking over where Trademark Properties left off.

From CultureMap Houston this morning:

A major change has quietly taken place at Rice Village. Houston-based company REIS Associates, LLC now manages the property, taking over for Trademark Property Company, the Fort Worth-based firm that has overseen the property for the past five years.

Neither Trademark nor Rice Management Company, the division of Rice University that manages its $6.3 billion endowment (including Rice Village) would comment on the circumstances that led to Trademark leaving the role. Regardless of what those exact details are, Trademark’s tenure brought significant and lasting changes to the area.

“Over the past five years, together, Trademark and Rice significantly revitalized the retail and F&B mix at Rice Village and greatly improved the financial performance during this period with new management and fresh retailers and restaurants, including several first-to-market concepts, Trademark Property Company managing director and chief investment officer Tommy Miller said in a statement provided in response to CultureMap’s request for comment. “The success of this remerchandising was greatly influenced by a major rebranding, investment in new and existing public space, new parking management system and garage upgrades, new facades and storefronts and the acquisition of additional strategic properties.”

Trademark oversaw physical changes to the area, such as creating the public space on Morningside that replaced a parking lot with an area that has seating and games, which had the effect of extending the patios for three restaurants. In addition, the stores along Amherst and Kelvin have been upgraded with new storefronts that replaced the dated strip center look, expanded walkways, and more.

...Whether REIS has more changes planned for the area isn't clear, although the property does still have some room for new tenants. For example, the Mi Luna space remains empty. Regardless, Rice Village's status as one of the inner loop's premier shopping and dining destinations seems secure for the immediate future. 

On the tenants 

Perhaps the biggest change can be seen in the mix of restaurants in the development. Establishments such as Baker St. Pub, Kubo’s, Yum Yum Cha, and La Madeline have been replaced by high-profile national restaurants such as Hopdoddy and Shake Shack. Steel City Pops and SusieCakes began selling treats. Over the next week, upscale sandwich restaurant Mendocinco Farms and ultra-popular salad restaurant Sweetgreen will both open to further upgrade the mix of options.

This fall has the potential to make the area an even more popular dining destination courtesy of Sixty Vines, a wine-driven restaurant from Dallas, and Politan Row, a food hall from the operators of St. Roch Market in New Orleans.

On the retail side, stores such as trendy glasses store Warby Parker, beauty store Bluemercury, women’s clothing boutique Altar’d State, and hair salon Madison Reed have all kept Rice Village competitive, even at a time when new developments such as River Oaks District and Heights Mercantile meant shoppers had plenty of new destinations that could have lured them away.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/real-estate/07-18-19-rice-village-management-changes-trademark-property-company-reis-associates/

• Like 3

On 7/12/2019 at 2:00 PM, Luminare said:

Agreed. There is nothing big or even small going up here. There are only build-outs or renovations of existing buildings. Any other project like this, would not be in Going Up. It would be in one of the other forums, like the Uptown Park project, the Highland Village shopping center. Both are doing renovations and build-outs of existing storefronts like Rice Village. None of them are  building high rise residential or apartments, which then would be a consideration for moving to the Going Up forum.

1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Agreed. There is nothing big or even small going up here. There are only build-outs or renovations of existing buildings. Any other project like this, would not be in Going Up. It would be in one of the other forums, like the Uptown Park project, the Highland Village shopping center. Both are doing renovations and build-outs of existing storefronts like Rice Village. None of them are  building high rise residential or apartments, which then would be a consideration for moving to the Going Up forum.

Well this one will be moved eventually haha. Until then I guess this one will get slightly more attention. Would probably be fair for us all to go easy on asking for demotions until the dust settles from @editor work on new subforum designations. Now if we find things buried that should be in "Going Up" lets call it out. Deal?

replacing local restaurants with pass-their-prime national chains and removing all free parking is just...  sad.     I would love to meet whatever idiot that runs Mendocinco farms that came to houston and ate at Local Foods and Dish Society and watched East Hampton already close a store and thought "yup, we should enter this market".   

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, crock said:

replacing local restaurants with pass-their-prime national chains and removing all free parking is just...  sad.     I would love to meet whatever idiot that runs Mendocinco farms that came to houston and ate at Local Foods and Dish Society and watched East Hampton already close a store and thought "yup, we should enter this market".   

I don't know. By all metrics this has been raving success, or is all this just your opinion? and what chains are you referring too?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, crock said:

Hubby and I ate at Mendocino Farms last night and it was packed. Great location, especially outside with the nice weather. That being said, Local Foods and Dish Society have nothing to worry about, imo. 

I think concepts that are popular elsewhere, i.e. Mendocino Farms, Hopdoddy, Shake Shack etc. see Houston as a viable market because of the many transplants coming here who identify with those places. I honestly think our homegrown eateries are less likely to expand to other markets because there aren’t as many Houston transplants en masse in other cities to create a following. To me, it speaks to the fact that generally speaking, Houston is a place people relocate to, rather than from. 

Edited by quietstorm
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, crock said:

replacing local restaurants with pass-their-prime national chains and removing all free parking is just...  sad.  

I agree. Rice Village's charm were the mom and pop shops & the quirky stores. From my childhood, I remember there being some national brand stores, but they weren't prevalent. Rent is astronomical these days and chain are able to afford it. But there should be balance.

I like some things Trademark added to improve Rice Village, but not the influx of national chains. I also never cared and still don't for the parking meters. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 12:53 PM, crock said:

replacing local restaurants with pass-their-prime national chains and removing all free parking is just...  sad.     

IIRC, parking in the structure is free for two hours, even without validation. But now that the surface spots in front of the stores are metered from the first minute, those spots are much more likely to be available. (Funny how that works)

Posted (edited)

Growing up, the only reason to go to Rice Village was that place on the second floor that brewed their own beer, gingerman for the cup special, the irish pub, or that other bar where hopdoddies is (Baker St.?). Don't forget that weird club that was in that tiny space next to the irish pub . They've successfully repositioned the village to have less 21-24 year olds just piss drunk at all hours of the day after 5pm or so, and more of a hang out-chill vibe. There were actual families there at 8pm on Thursday just moseying around. I'm sure the neighborhood didn't love having the crazy crowds on st. paddy's weekend.

I honestly don't know how the old school retail places are still open. That soccer shop is the perfect example: appallingly mediocre soccer selection and only open until 7pm (lol wut), but hey! for some reason they also sell lacrosse gear? But hey! Antiques! Closed at 5pm! I know that area is rich and all but damn, I guess they've done all their shopping before anyone has a chance to get home. 

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 1

Nothing going up here at this development, but since mods won't move this from Going Up as other completed or non going up projects are, I'll share this:

This is from June, inside the combined retail spaces being turned into Politan Row food hall in Rice Village ( Houston ).

From Dunhill Dvelopment's Instagram:

C7aWfWF.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/By8BG-mAHeF/

• Like 2

On 8/5/2019 at 5:00 PM, X.R. said:

Growing up, the only reason to go to Rice Village was that place on the second floor that brewed their own beer, gingerman for the cup special, the irish pub, or that other bar where hopdoddies is (Baker St.?). Don't forget that weird club that was in that tiny space next to the irish pub . They've successfully repositioned the village to have less 21-24 year olds just piss drunk at all hours of the day after 5pm or so, and more of a hang out-chill vibe. There were actual families there at 8pm on Thursday just moseying around. I'm sure the neighborhood didn't love having the crazy crowds on st. paddy's weekend.

I honestly don't know how the old school retail places are still open. That soccer shop is the perfect example: appallingly mediocre soccer selection and only open until 7pm (lol wut), but hey! for some reason they also sell lacrosse gear? But hey! Antiques! Closed at 5pm! I know that area is rich and all but damn, I guess they've done all their shopping before anyone has a chance to get home. 

Two Rows! $1 Wednesday and free appetizers. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Food vendors and other details announced for Politan Row. This is the food hall under construction at 2445 Times Blvd in Rice Village.

From Eater Houston today:

Houston food truck Breaking Bao will open its first permanent location inside Politan Row, according to a press release, along with two new restaurants and a bar. In addition to soups and other small plates, owner Phillip Kim will stuff steamed buns with everything from pork belly to vegan “sloppy joe” made with jackfruit.

More stall vendors will be announced ahead of Politan Row’s fall debut — the food hall will house 12 distinct concepts — but in the meantime, check out more details on each newly announced spot below:

Cochinita & Co. — Chef Victoria Elizondo, known for her Taco Tuesday pop-ups at Decatur Bar and Pop-Up Factory, will bring those famed tacos to Politan Row. She’ll also serve seafood dishes and ceviche.

Susu Kopi and Boba — An Indonesian cafe from Niken Prabanto, Ecky Prabanto, and David Buehrer, the minds behind Greenway Coffee, Tropicales, and more Houston coffee institution. In addition to drinks made with “masterfully roasted” coffee, Susu will also serve soft serve ice cream in flavors like green tea and Ovaltine, along with boba teas.

Bar Politan — A cocktail bar helmed by beverage director Sophie Burton that will serve “simple, balanced,” and Houston-themed drinks with names like Thee Hot Girl.

Politan Row is expected to arrive sometime in October. 

https://houston.eater.com/2019/8/21/20826710/politan-row-breaking-bao-cochinita-and-co-bar-politan-susu-kopi-and-boba-opening

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Interior rendering of Politan Row in Houston. This is the food hall under construction at 2445 Times Blvd in Rice Village.

From Eater Houston:

mD6IQKf.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/15/2019 at 10:35 AM, Urbannizer said:

I saw this on on Loopnet and was going to post it too but not in this thread. This is NOT part of the Rice Village development at all. It's in the area but it is NOT part of the Rice Village development that is managed by REIS Associates. This thread is specifically about Rice Village District managed now by REIS Associates (Trademark Property before it)

Please consider moving the post to "Other Neighborhoods" since there is no forum for Rice Village and West U.

Map of Rice Village development (not shown s the portion on Morningside Dr), all other buildings are NOT part of the Rice Village development.

rv_map_v2.png
https://www.ricevillagedistrict.com/shop-dine/

• Like 3

On 7/12/2019 at 6:09 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

On 7/18/2019 at 10:52 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

More on the change in management of Rice Village and clarification on the real estate company that's taking over where Trademark Properties left off.

From CultureMap Houston this morning:

A major change has quietly taken place at Rice Village. Houston-based company REIS Associates, LLC now manages the property, taking over for Trademark Property Company, the Fort Worth-based firm that has overseen the property for the past five years.

Neither Trademark nor Rice Management Company, the division of Rice University that manages its $6.3 billion endowment (including Rice Village) would comment on the circumstances that led to Trademark leaving the role. Regardless of what those exact details are, Trademark’s tenure brought significant and lasting changes to the area.

“Over the past five years, together, Trademark and Rice significantly revitalized the retail and F&B mix at Rice Village and greatly improved the financial performance during this period with new management and fresh retailers and restaurants, including several first-to-market concepts, Trademark Property Company managing director and chief investment officer Tommy Miller said in a statement provided in response to CultureMap’s request for comment. “The success of this remerchandising was greatly influenced by a major rebranding, investment in new and existing public space, new parking management system and garage upgrades, new facades and storefronts and the acquisition of additional strategic properties.”

Trademark oversaw physical changes to the area, such as creating the public space on Morningside that replaced a parking lot with an area that has seating and games, which had the effect of extending the patios for three restaurants. In addition, the stores along Amherst and Kelvin have been upgraded with new storefronts that replaced the dated strip center look, expanded walkways, and more.

...Whether REIS has more changes planned for the area isn't clear, although the property does still have some room for new tenants. For example, the Mi Luna space remains empty. Regardless, Rice Village's status as one of the inner loop's premier shopping and dining destinations seems secure for the immediate future. 

On the tenants 

Perhaps the biggest change can be seen in the mix of restaurants in the development. Establishments such as Baker St. Pub, Kubo’s, Yum Yum Cha, and La Madeline have been replaced by high-profile national restaurants such as Hopdoddy and Shake Shack. Steel City Pops and SusieCakes began selling treats. Over the next week, upscale sandwich restaurant Mendocinco Farms and ultra-popular salad restaurant Sweetgreen will both open to further upgrade the mix of options.

This fall has the potential to make the area an even more popular dining destination courtesy of Sixty Vines, a wine-driven restaurant from Dallas, and Politan Row, a food hall from the operators of St. Roch Market in New Orleans.

On the retail side, stores such as trendy glasses store Warby Parker, beauty store Bluemercury, women’s clothing boutique Altar’d State, and hair salon Madison Reed have all kept Rice Village competitive, even at a time when new developments such as River Oaks District and Heights Mercantile meant shoppers had plenty of new destinations that could have lured them away.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/real-estate/07-18-19-rice-village-management-changes-trademark-property-company-reis-associates/

An official press release was released to the media about the change in management at Rice Village and what's to come.

From Houston Business Journal yesterday:

More changes are on the way for Rice Village, which has been under new management for the past couple of months. Dallas-based commercial real estate firm Edge Realty Partners is handling leasing and plans to add new pop-ups, restaurants and other tenants to the shopping and dining district that spans more than four full blocks west of Rice University.

Burdette Huffman, principal at Edge, says that no one knows where the future of retail is going. But he knows consumers are constantly looking for something new. As a result, Rice Village is introducing a Pop-Up Village at Amherst and Kirby. Its first pop-ups — New Orleans performance apparel retailer Tasc and women's apparel retailer Mi Golondrina, which has a Dallas shop — will be housed at the space from fall through to the holidays. 

“What it enables us to do is cycle through really cool, beautiful concepts through the Village,” Huffman said. “So, it’s continued newness and freshness.”

If the pop-ups are successful, there’s a possibility they could become permanent fixtures at Rice Village, Huffman said. 

“There are some tenants that have really kind of looked at the consumer today head-on, and we think they’re going to be a better fit for (Rice Village for) the long-term, for not only the immediate community but also around the greater Houston metro area,” Huffman said. 

Besides the Pop-Up Village, Edge is working on six or seven different leases for Rice Village. This includes a chef-driven restaurant from a restaurant group with locations in numerous cities, apparel shops and experiential retail, or stores that offer more interactive experiences than traditional retail. 

The underlying theme Edge wants of its tenants at Rice Village is that they all are first-to-market. Huffman said that the restaurant his company is eying is a concept that is unique to Houston. 

As Rice Village’s footprint and notoriety grows, so will rent prices. But Huffman said Edge tries to work with tenants on rent depending on how well they do in revenue — and tenants at Rice Village tend to do fairly well.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/09/05/pop-ups-more-changes-in-store-for-rice-village.html

• Like 1