lockmat

Rice Village Arcade "renovation" & future mixed-use

8 hours ago, bobruss said:

I thought I read in  Swamplot  last week that  they were moving to West Gray.

They updated that piece the day after it was posted to remove the claim that it was closing. 

• Like 2

I agree. It seemed to lose its small town charm. My favorite was the five and dime, Alfreds, and I loved the small Rice Food Market.

Also back in the days there used to be a bar where the Compass bank is on University called the Poor Mans Country Club, run by a 

great proprietor named Al. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, bobruss said:

I agree. It seemed to lose its small town charm. My favorite was the five and dime, Alfreds, and I loved the small Rice Food Market.

Also back in the days there used to be a bar where the Compass bank is on University called the Poor Mans Country Club, run by a 

I thought I'd posted this here before, but an admittedly cursory search didn't turn it up. Wish I had a higher-resolution version, as it's difficult to read as is and too fuzzy when enlarged, but it's better than nothing. 

ricevillagemap1982.JPG

• Like 3

On 2/9/2018 at 10:13 PM, bobruss said:

The Five and Dime was the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I too loved the small town charm of that development! I also miss the anime/toy/collectible store that was there! 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2018 at 8:30 AM, bobruss said:

Miss Saigon,  The Gingerman, El Paso Furniture, Giggles on the corner of Kelvin and Rice, clothing store next to Saigon, two restaurants on the second floor of the arcade across from Jasons. There are a couple more that i cant recall the names right now so yes there are many more than La Madeline. I work in the neighborhood and walk to lunch quite often so I think I know the area. 

On 2/9/2018 at 0:04 PM, rechlin said:

The Ginger Man isn't closing.  They have 5 years left on their lease, I believe.  They are opening a second location (complete with full liquor license) in the 4th ward, but their Village location is staying put.

On 2/9/2018 at 0:23 PM, bobruss said:

I thought I read in  Swamplot  last week that  they were moving to West Gray.

On 2/9/2018 at 0:40 PM, swtsig said:

not moving, expanding. second location.

and i agree that a boutique hotel - a low or midrise concept a la south congress hotel - would do wonders in the village. no idea if it's feasible financially but the idea itself would blend in seamlessly there and be a huge draw imo.

On 2/9/2018 at 9:18 PM, mkultra25 said:

They updated that piece the day after it was posted to remove the claim that it was closing. 

From Houston Chronicle:

The Ginger Man is expanding its local footprint with a new pub in Midtown.

...The Ginger Man recently sold its Rice Village property, 5607 Morningside Drive, to Braun Enterprises, and is leasing it from the Houston-based developer. Zach Wolf of Braun Enterprises declined to share plans for the site, but said The Ginger Man "is not going anywhere."

Whitman said the original Ginger Man is special to the company, and there are no plans to leave.

"We have no intentions of doing anything with that as far as shutting down," Whitman said. "We're tenants now instead of landowners."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/bizfeed/article/The-Ginger-Man-to-open-Midtown-pub-12607317.php

• Like 2

On 2/9/2018 at 5:57 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Shake Shack is opening in the Rice Village in a few weeks.

From Instagram:

Bird’s eye view of the #ricevillage #houston #texas @shakeshack #shakeshack getting ready to open in just a few weeks!

VE6yHyZ.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/Be9gXV-gLCf/

On 2/9/2018 at 6:03 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Pictures of the almost completed Shake Shack in Rice Village from PaperCity Magazine:

3HA93to.jpg

0xX9G0P.jpg

Completed pictures of Shake Shack at Rice Village in Houston from CultureMap:

xco4Edx.jpg

EiKVinl.jpg

BN3poq5.jpg

• Like 4

Drybar and Sixty Vines are opening in Rice Village in Houston.

From CultureMap

Rice Village has announced three exciting new additions that will continue to bolster its reputatation as a shopping and dining destination. 

Of the three, the biggest news is that Houston will soon be home to an outpost of Dallas-based pizza restaurant and wine bar Sixty Vines. Slated to open next year in a two-story, almost 9,000-square foot space at 2540 University Blvd. (formerly Gymboree), the restaurant features "wine country" cuisine that includes seasonal produce, infused olive oils, sustainable seafood, locally raised beef and poultry, artisanal pizza, charcuterie, and rustic breads, according to CultureMap Dallas. In addition, the restaurant's extensive selection of wines on tap makes it easier for aspiring oenophiles to broaden their palates.

Finally, fashionistas will be celebrating the arrival of the city's third Drybar. Known for its luxurious decor and quick, convenient appointments, the salon will open later this year at 2521 Amherst St.

"The recent transformations at Rice Village have attracted some of the best and most relevant national and regional brands to this highly affluent and underserved trade area," said Trademark Property Co CEO Terry Montesi in a statement. "Rice Village is evolving into an even more compelling contemporary shopping and dining destination and Houston’s largest and most vibrant authentic street retail district.”

These three new arrivals constitute the latest changes at the shopping district, which has also seen the recent additions of Hopdoddy, Shake Shack, and SusieCakes. Expect more announcements soon; after all, that Nao Ramen space can't stay empty forever.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/05-22-18-rice-village-new-restaurants-sixty-vines-steel-city-pops-drybar/

8 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

From CultureMap

Expect more announcements soon; after all, that Nao Ramen space can't stay empty forever.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/05-22-18-rice-village-new-restaurants-sixty-vines-steel-city-pops-drybar/

" Mendocino Farms, a creator of seasonal and healthy sandwiches and salads from California " (copied from Mercury News), is expanding to Houston. A location is opening in Rice Village at 5510 Morningside Dr, Suite 120 between D'Amico Italian Cafe and Hopdoddy Burger Bar. It's opening where Nao Ramen was.

https://www.mendocinofarms.com/houston/

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

On 3/17/2016 at 11:39 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

More renderings of Rice Village District from the marketing package (archived link):

Shows another possible Houston location for eye wear store Warby Parker. In 2014, Tommy Miller, managing director and chief investment office of Trademark Property Co.told Houston Chronicle Warby Parker may be a tenant: "Miller said the changes will help attract a new type of tenant that caters to a younger demographic. He mentioned stores like eyeglass boutique Warby Parker, Toms Shoes, Anthropologie and Bonobos, a primarily online retailer that sells menswear."

GD4TkKx.jpg
More renderings posted to the forum here, here and here.

On 6/6/2016 at 8:34 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Trademark Properties' latest marketing brochure (archived link) from last month with additional and updated renderings for Rice Village Arcade and Rice Village District :

A Warby Parker and Club Monaco

E0fJezo.jpg

On 7/10/2016 at 8:07 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Thanks. I couldn't make out the F in Filson. Old age setting in the old peepers.

So new retail, shops and places to eat confirmed and unconfirmed for Rice Village District are:

Filson
Shinola Detriot
Shake Shack
Warby Parker
Madewell

Club Monaco
HG Sply Co.
Blue Mercury
Toms Shoes
Anthropologie
Bonobos

Warby Parker is opening in Rice Village in Houston at 2518 University Blvd.

From Swamplot

The storefront between Athleta and Altar’d State on University Blvd. won’t be vacant for much longer: a building permit filed yesterday indicates Warby Parker is about to move into the space.

http://swamplot.com/warby-parker-signs-up-for-the-rice-village-spot-where-yankee-candle-burnt-out/2018-07-24/

An12jp1.jpg

ifjK3A6.jpg

On 7/22/2018 at 6:47 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

" Mendocino Farms, a creator of seasonal and healthy sandwiches and salads from California " (copied from Mercury News), is expanding to Houston. A location is opening in Rice Village at 5510 Morningside Dr, Suite 120 between D'Amico Italian Cafe and Hopdoddy Burger Bar. It's opening where Nao Ramen was.

https://www.mendocinofarms.com/houston/

From Eater Houston

Mendocino Farms, a Los Angeles original for delicious and responsibly sourced sandwiches and salads, is making its way to Houston for its first location outside the Golden State.

The forthcoming outpost will debut in Rice Village at 5510 Morningside Drive sometime in 2019, according to the restaurant’s website. While more specific details weren’t available at press time, what Eater does know for sure is that the forthcoming eatery (replacing Nao Ramen) will serve up its popular SoCal menu of responsibly raised meats atop salads and in sandwiches, plus vegan and gluten-free options.

The restaurant touts its “artisan” partners — sourcing bread, salumi, and poultry from humane and sustainable family-owned operations in California — with a menu offering Americana classics like tuna melts, BLT, and roasted chicken sandwiches, but throwing in some Asian and Italian twists, like chicken and pork belly banh mi, plus sandwiches stuffed with tempeh or prosciutto and mozzarella.

When Mendocino Farms lands in Houston next year, it will join another imported sandwich shop, East Hampton Sandwich Co from Dallas, that debuted two locations in quick succession this summer. Stay tuned for Medocino Farm’s official Rice Village opening date.

https://houston.eater.com/2018/7/24/17608212/mendocino-farms-debut-sustainable-salads-and-sandwiches-rice-village-houston

several new tenants still on deck for Rice Village, including the following:

Sixty Vines, a Dallas-based restaurant and wine bar that offers wine on-tap. The restaurant will open in late spring and occupy the second floor of the building at 2518 University Blvd.
Washington, D.C.-based Sweetgreen, a restaurant that focuses on rich salads and grain bowls with locally sourced ingredients, will open in Rice Village this fall.
Mendicino Farms, a Southern California-based artisanal sandwich restaurant, will open in Rice Village in 2019.
Drybar, the California-based salon chain, will open in Rice Village this fall.

Trademark will also start exterior renovations to the roughly 40,000-square-foot building at 2540 Amherst St., which is home to Brown Bag Deli and Prego, among other tenants. Those renovations should start soon and will wrap up in three or four months, Miller said. The building will also be home to a number of pop-up stores, though additional details weren't disclosed.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/10/01/several-new-to-houston-restaurants-on-tap-for-rice.html

Renderings for renovations on the corner of Amherst and Kelvin, where Talbots used to be. These are NOT the renovations mentioned in the HBJ article.

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

They need to carve out more green space wherever possible.  Or create a pedestrian mall by converting one of the shorter blocks.  The upgrades thus far have been underwhelming.  

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 9:00 AM, LBC2HTX said:

Renderings for renovations on the corner of Amherst and Kelvin, where Talbots used to be. These are NOT the renovations mentioned in the HBJ article.

7SiXnsA.jpg

Amherst Street will feature updated façades and storefronts, passageway redesign, widened sidewalks, improved access to rooftop parking, a new micro retail building amidst a historic tree grove, and a new public green space and plaza featuring public art.

This is from an older Rice Village leasing package from earlier in the year. It's an updated rendering from another perspective from the one shown here in 2016

GD4TkKx.jpg
https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/30491-rice-village-arcade-renovation-future-mixed-use/?do=findComment&comment=528733

More details on the Amherst Street makeover were discussed in the comments below, with details from the Rice Village leasing brochures published at the time:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/30491-rice-village-arcade-renovation-future-mixed-use/?do=findComment&comment=528732

• Like 3

Here is a leasing site plan of Rice Village from the beginning of 2018

KcWKsXV.jpg

And an updated leasing site plan of Rice Village in Houston from this fall:

37AkATs.jpg

The legend key as a color code for a hotel. Does anyone know what hotel will open in Rice Village?

And the five retail spaces on Times Blvd and Kelvin Dr, across the street from Beautique, but next to Talbots and Chico's are being consolidated into one space for a restaurant from the updated site plan.

• Like 3

More renderings of Rice Village District from the marketing package (archived link😞

Market Hall or Rice Village Market will mimic the stylings and concept of Oxbow Public Market in Napa, California and the Ferry Building in San Fransisco. Rice Village Market will have a “Public Market” style design • Public restrooms • Ground level public space improvements • Artisan vendors • Roof top deck/seating. There could be some type of food hall too. I know this was discussed last summer a few pages back but no one uploaded the renderings and other details associated with it. I thought I'd upload the pictures so we can all reference them if the link above is taken down or new changes are announced.
ihZzui7.jpg

On 7/10/2016 at 7:16 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

More renderings of Rice Village District, new retail and updated public market rendering:

http://www.trademarkproperty.com/wp-content/uploads/RVwebPresentation.pdf

(archived link)

Updated rendering of Rice Village public market and food hall.
eP8FmKu.jpg

Previous renderings here, here, here and here.

The food hall and public market shown in older renderings and brochures for Rice Village District may be a go. 

This may become St. Roch Market Houston are something related to it. There is a St Roch Market in New Orleans and Miami. 

https://www.strochmarket.com/

This was created last month:

Rice Village F&B LLC. It's connected to St. Roch Market.

https://www.corporationwiki.com/p/32ifiy/rice-village-fb-llc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2018 at 8:09 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

More renderings of Rice Village District from the marketing package (archived link😞

Market Hall or Rice Village Market will mimic the stylings and concept of Oxbow Public Market in Napa, California and the Ferry Building in San Fransisco. Rice Village Market will have a “Public Market” style design • Public restrooms • Ground level public space improvements • Artisan vendors • Roof top deck/seating. There could be some type of food hall too. I know this was discussed last summer a few pages back but no one uploaded the renderings and other details associated with it. I thought I'd upload the pictures so we can all reference them if the link above is taken down or new changes are announced.
ihZzui7.jpg

On 7/10/2016 at 7:16 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

More renderings of Rice Village District, new retail and updated public market rendering:

http://www.trademarkproperty.com/wp-content/uploads/RVwebPresentation.pdf

(archived link)

Updated rendering of Rice Village public market and food hall.
eP8FmKu.jpg

Previous renderings here, here, here and here.

The food hall and public market shown in older renderings and brochures for Rice Village District may be a go. 

This may become St. Roch Market Houston are something related to it. There is a St Roch Market in New Orleans and Miami. 

https://www.strochmarket.com/

This was created last month:

Rice Village F&B LLC. It's connected to St. Roch Market.

https://www.corporationwiki.com/p/32ifiy/rice-village-fb-llc

A food hall is opening here.  As seen in the renderings, it is going in the southeastern part of Rice Village, on the corner of Morningside Drive and University Blvd.

From the renderings, the food hall and market will take over the spaces facing University Blvd. If that is so, retail on the first floor may be gone soon.

On the website for St. Roch Market is a vendor section. Houston is listed under as one of their markets.

https://www.strochmarket.com/becomeavendor

n2Augnh.jpg

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Are we sure that this is going in the location reflected in the 2016 plans? Those 2016 renderings don't identify which particular space the food hall would be located in, but all the first floor space along University is currently leased and occupied by national retailers. The second floor space is partially leased and occupied currently, with only ~7200sf of contiguous space shown on the Site Plan as available. 

However, Rice owns a ~22,000sf two story building at 5555 Morningside that is currently under renovation. The only current occupant is Doc Holliday's, but the buidling has otherwise been totally gutted. It was previously occupied by Gorgeous Gael and a few other tenants. This would seem like a good food hall location since Monringside is a big restaurant focus of Rice Village and would be available for occupancy sooner than the University Site, I would think.

RV_Lease-Plan-Website_2018_0919-colored-compressed.pdf

Edited by nate
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 10:18 AM, nate said:

Are we sure that this is going in the location reflected in the 2016 plans? Those 2016 renderings don't identify which particular space the food hall would be located in, but all the first floor space along University is currently leased and occupied by national retailers. The second floor space is partially leased and occupied currently, with only ~7200sf of contiguous space shown on the Site Plan as available. 

However, Rice owns a ~22,000sf two story building at 5555 Morningside that is currently under renovation. The only current occupant is Doc Holliday's, but the buidling has otherwise been totally gutted. It was previously occupied by Gorgeous Gael and a few other tenants. This would seem like a good food hall location since Monringside is a big restaurant focus of Rice Village and would be available for occupancy sooner than the University Site, I would think.

Yes. We are sure the Rice Village food hall and market is going to be located in the former Rice Village Arcade on the corner of University Blvd and Morningside Dr. It's in both of the older renderings. The location of the food hall and market in the renderings is where the fountain is located.

Also in every site plan published since 2014 to the recent one published in late 2018, that building, both the first and second floor has been designated as the food hall. It is possible the food hall could go on the second floor. A lot can change in the planning stages in three years. But going off the older brochures, the food hall and market were described as a two-level building.

The two story building at 5555 Morningside may be owned by Trademark Properties, but it is not where the food hall is going.

Also Swamplot published the renderings that were shared here to their website in 2016. They matched up the renderings of the changes to come to the existing buildings.

http://swamplot.com/a-stroll-through-the-rice-village-design-overhaul-now-starting-to-materialize-on-university-blvd/2016-03-18/

And the site plan you linked above, is the same as the one I posted back in December 2018 here:
https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/30491-rice-village-arcade-renovation-future-mixed-use/?do=findComment&comment=583186

• Like 1

From Eater Houston this week on the addition of a food hall and market to Rice Village:

Yet another food hall is headed to the Houston area, and this time it has a serious pedigree.

According to filings with the Texas Secretary of State, the forthcoming project slated for the former Rice Village Arcade space at University Boulevard and Morningside Drive is from the same entity responsible for St. Roch Market in New Orleans, which is credited with kicking off the national food hall trend in 2014. Proposed renderings of what the space could look like have been posted on the architecture forum HAIF, which were gathered from presentations made by the developer Trademark Property.

After debuting in NOLA in 2014, St. Roch Market has since opened an identically named spinoff in Miami, which prompted the city of New Orleans to sue parent company Helpful Hound since the city owns the St. Roch space and argues it had been using the St. Roch name prior to the operators launching a food hall there. That suit is ongoing, and Will Donaldson principal of Helpful Hound confirmed to Eater that the new project wouldn’t bear the St. Roch moniker.

In NOLA, St. Roch has 12 vendors that offer a variety of fare including Mediterranean, healthy grain bowls and cold-pressed juices, coffee, seafood, sandwiches, cocktails, and more. The Miami outpost has a similar set up of 12 vendors but with slightly different offerings including acai bowls, a Japanese-Peruvian mashup, Israeli cuisine, and Italian pastas, to name a few. No Houston-based stalls have been announced just yet.

https://houston.eater.com/2019/1/8/18174063/st-roch-market-rice-village-opening-food-hall

• Like 2