BayouCityGirl

Food Places We Grew Up On In Houston No Longer Here

Alfies fish and chips is still alive and well in Texas City on Palmer Hwy just before the dike! We ate at that on after the one on broadway in Galveston closed down.

Sambos was my favorite restaurant to eat at when I was a kid.  We used to go to the one that was on the intersection of 610 and Wayside.  We would eat there then go to the toy store across the freeway.  Does anyone remember the name of that toy store? I keep thinking it was called Lion’s World or Lionel toy store?

• Like 1

There was a small Someburger stand next to the bowling alley on South Main back in the early 50's. It was north of Bill William's and across Main from the Rice campus. I ate many Someburgers there until one made me sick. Never had another. 

I also ate many luscious Someburgers made at that stand across from Rice when I was an undergrad there.

I remember being surprised when it was suddenly torn down, sometime in the late 1960s. I went to inspect ... and saw my first rats ... (!!!) ... a dozenor more milling about amid the debris of their destroyed abode.  I nearly fainted ... and felt very thankful that I hadn't, afaik, gotten sick from any of the many burgers I'd eater there.

There is still a Someburger at Studewood and 11th.

1. William's Chicken (Churches ) 

2. Hot Stuff Restaurants 

3. Fish King 

4. Showbiz Pizza (Chuckie Cheese) 

5. Pizza Inn (Still Here ) 

6. Two Pesos 

7. Grandy's 

8. Del Taco 

9. Captain D's 

10. Lone John Silver's (Still Here )

11. Ryan Steahouse 

12. Wyatt's Cafeteria

13. Steak N'Ale (Recently Closed )

14. Monterrey House (1 Remaining )

15. Checker's 

16 . Ninfa's 

17. Pancho's 

18. Godfather's Pizza

19. Sizzler's 

20. BigTex Chicken

21. Hart'z Chicken (Still Here ) 

1. William's Chicken (Churches ) 

2. Hot Stuff Restaurants 

3. Fish King 

4. Showbiz Pizza (Chuckie Cheese) 

5. Pizza Inn (Still Here ) 

6. Two Pesos 

7. Grandy's 

8. Del Taco 

9. Captain D's 

10. Lone John Silver's (Still Here )

11. Ryan Steahouse 

12. Wyatt's Cafeteria

13. Steak N'Ale (Recently Closed )

14. Monterrey House (1 Remaining )

15. Checker's 

16 . Ninfa's 

17. Pancho's 

18. Godfather's Pizza

19. Sizzler's 

20. BigTex Chicken

21. Hart'z Chicken (Still Here ) 

Two Pesos was I believe folded into Taco Cabana.  They were both the same concept. 

Grandy's I remember on South Main near Buffalo Speedway.  Well known for their biscuits!

They are all dry cleaners, along with Gessner @ Hammerly

There was another on Memorial on the bend east of the beltway.

I grew up near Hillcroft and Main Street.....

I remember an ice cream place on Hillcroft before you got to Braeswood on the corner in the same parking lot Rice used to be in...before that right past St. Thomas More Church, there was a place called Jacks Yogurt Stop that was the first place I ever tried Frozen Yogurt that was right before the Frozen Yogurt craze of the 90s...

Not sure why I haven't replied to this before but I can't find it - the ice cream parlor was either a Swenson's or a Carvel.  I only went once and I'm remembering old-timey ice cream parlor decor.

It's now a realtor's office, I think.

"I just called the Jack In The Box corporate office, and they gave out a list of former locations."

I can think of one more but I don't know the store number: in Kemah on State Highway 146, south of the bridge and just north of the intersection with FM 2094. It is now a boat dealership.
I think the structure on El Camino Real just north of NASA Road 1 must have been a JIB at one time too. It has been a succession of grungy looking eateries since and may be abandoned now.

Interesting to see the list of former Jack in the Boxes. It confirms for me what I had always thought. the Jack in the Box on the corner of South Park (now Martin Luther King) and Browncroft was the first one in Houston.

It was right across from Palms Center and adjacent to the old Montgomery Wards store.

Reading through this old topic brings to mind a few I remember as a kid (and not so much). The first one was Thornhills cafeteria. I remember at least two of them, one at Palm Center and one in a little center not far from Gulfgate, across from Woodridge Baptist Church. They had a conveyor belt that took the dirty dishes back to the dishwasher when you finished your meal. We would put our tray on the belt and then run along to the various openings to check on their progress. The second one is the Hamburgers by Gourmet, I can still taste the burgers I got from that place, that's the one I still really miss. I used to patronize at least three of them at various times, mostly the one on Kirby but also the one next to Saint Thomas. Finally, someone mentioned the Beef and Bun on Fuqua and wondered if it was still open, I am glad to report that they are still open and I was there as late as last week, still great BBQ.

Edited by msteele6

ArchMemoH,

i don't see the one at Bellfort @ Nunn, maybe the #626? I still go past that location occassionally and the building is still there, although the last time I went by there seemed to be some activity.

No, 636 is 6901 Bellfort @ Wayside, near the old bowling alley.

Edited by msteele6

I just called the Jack In The Box corporate office, and they gave out a list of former locations.

601) 5850 King @ Browncroft; razed to Chevron
602) 4801 Almeda @ Arbor; remodeled Fitch Florist
603) 8203 Long Point @ Hillendahl; a restaraunt
605) 1902 North Main @ Hogan; razed to Dollar$ & Deal$
607) 3400 Old Spanish Trail @ Scott; razed to Texaco
608) 2703 Hillcroft @ Meadowglen; razed and replaced with 3625
610) 501 West Southmore @ Miami; remodeled Taqueria Sol de Jacisco
611) 11041 Chimney Rock @ West Bellfort; razed to Auto Zone
612) 1204 Spencer @ Perez; razed to Laredo National Bank, BBVA Compass Bank
613) 5302 Airline @ Tidwell; razed to a strip center
614) 12310 Kingsride @ Gessner; remodeled Papa Joe's BBQ, razed to Starbucks
616) 4302 Westheimer @ Midlane; razed to Bo Concept
617) 9310 Stella Link @ South Loop West; razed to parking lot of Discount Tire Company
619) 6109 Kirby @ Rice; remodeled Village Flowery/River Oaks Plant House
622) 2602 Shepherd @ Westheimer; razed to strip center
623) 1041 Uvalde @ East Freeway; Lone Star Title Loans
626) ?
628) 902 Decker @ West Texas; Pineapple Express
636) 6901 Bellfort @ Wayside; was Cash Money Tax Services, empty
638) 2203 Strawberry @ Cherry Brook; Star Old Fashioned Hamburgers & Shrimp Galley
639) 703 11st Street @ Stagg; Baskin Robbins
642) 14500 Memorial @ Dairy Ashford; was General Joe's Chopstix, razed to Burger King
643) 18001 El Camino Real @ Nasa; was Fish & Chicken, Daddio'z Pizza
648) 5145 Gulfway @ Dryen; was Yvonne's Mexican Imports, was G & Y Auto Sales, M & B Auto Sales
650) 1100 Jefferson @ San Jacinto; razed to Sacred Heart School
652) 4302 Lockwood @ Cavalcade; razed to Auto Zone
655) 10450 Fuqua @ Behmer; razed to Domino's Pizza
656) 11602 Bellaire @ Belle Park; was Belle Park Auto Sales; razed to strip center
657) 1406 Nederland @ 14th Street; remodeled Cook's Nursery
661) 109 Highway 6 @ Katy Freeway; razed to the Highway 6 lanes
662) 3333 Red Bluff @ Orel; Lone Star Title Loans
682) 2200 Navarro @ Park; Texas Seafood
688) 1136 Dallas @ West Davis; empty
699) 20363 Katy Freeway; razed to NTB
3604) 1603 West Main @ Gulf Freeway; Title Max
3607) 801 Main Street @ Rusk; inside a building
3610) 5602 Richmond @ Chimney Rock; Title Max
3611) 5104 Kirby @ Westpark; remodeled for Amazon Grill
3637) 5850 Eastex Freeway @ Dowlen; remodeled Mattress Firm
3649) 15802 Northwest Freeway @ Senate; razed for the Northwest Freeway lanes
3651) 7203 East Freeway @ Highway 62; empty
3900) 17203 East Freeway @ Magnolia; Franklin Motors
3902) 2501 Clinton @ Galena Manor; was Boston Seafood Steakhouse, Texas Star BBQ
3916) 601 Highway 146 @ 7th Street; Nautic
3926) 160 Main @ Allen/Raider; empty
3996) ?
4703) ?
4712) 2395 Texas @ Glynn; empty

ArchMemoH,

I see what happened, the list they gave you shows #636 to be 6901 Bellfort @ Wayside, actually 6901 Bellfort is at Nunn street (at least according to MapQuest), just across the railroad tracks from Wayside.

I don't really remember the one at Wayside, even though I used to go that way quite a bit, was there one there as well?

There was a little white building on Washington, not too far from the Salvation Army. It had the BEST burgers! I remember frequenting it in the early 80s. A little old lady was the cook. There was no where to sit inside. I think they had one or two of those concrete patio tables outside. I am sure that placed closed because she passed away. I always wondered what it was called. 

I listed these locations

Yes, # 643 and # 3916. My bad.

I'm not sure why the one in Kemah closed. It always seemed to have enough business. There was a stretch of time in the early '00s when I was putting in some very late hours at a job in the area and this was the only place open after 11:00pm.

Specwriter, you got a list of former fast food locations?

Sorry, no. I think it was fortunate that JIB had one you were able to get. Just yesterday I thought about all the McDonalds (existing and no longer here) there must be in Harris County alone! Same with Burger King.

I'm sure I could answer my own question just by driving down North Shepherd, but is the Jack-in-the-Box at Shepherd and Donovan still there? My cousin attended St. Pius X high school in the mid-1960's. Sometimes my sister and I would ride along with our aunt when she went to pick up her daughter from school and we would often use the drive through to get shakes and fries on the way home.

Sorry, no. I think it was fortunate that JIB had one you were able to get. Just yesterday I thought about all the McDonalds (existing and no longer here) there must be in Harris County alone! Same with Burger King.

I'm sure I could answer my own question just by driving down North Shepherd, but is the Jack-in-the-Box at Shepherd and Donovan still there? My cousin attended St. Pius X high school in the mid-1960's. Sometimes my sister and I would ride along with our aunt when she went to pick up her daughter from school and we would often use the drive through to get shakes and fries on the way home.

Well, that's what I'm trying to do, and I do have the Burger King list updated with old Houston locations (at least late-1990s era).

Current link, to be closed soon

New link if old link doesn't work

On August 5, 2005 at 2:22 PM, gnu said:

The Credit Union on Edgebrook was a Taco Bueno. i think the company was dallas-based. it may have been a del taco too later but it was built as Taco Bueno.

Maybe Alfie's fish and chips?..i remember eating at one on Broadway in galveston.

Their logo was the canadian mountie from the cartoons.

What about H Salt fish and chips? They are still around in California. I know their were a few here in the early 70's.

And the little places..about the same size as an old box shaped jack in the box but were made to look like windmills with cedar shake siding. can't remember the name seems like it started with a W.

The old Del Taco on Edgebrook is now Marcos Seafood & Oyster Bar, the facade has been altered some, mostly the upper portion of the building

Edited by djrage

On November 20, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Pyrotek40 said:

Alfies fish and chips is still alive and well in Texas City on Palmer Hwy just before the dike! We ate at that on after the one on broadway in Galveston closed down.

I couldn't believe it, when I saw this building! The sign near the road is newer, but the building looks original (maybe someone can confirm) and the sign on the facade is how I remember it, originally, in the 60's, or was it the 70's? Alfies. I remember the location on Nasa Road 1, and one on Edgebrook, by a pizza place, close to Old Galveston Road. Address for Texas City location, from Google Earth is approximate, @ 2151 FM 1764 or 2170 9th Ave N.

and another location with facade, still unaltered, 60's white with brown, Olde English look. 108 E. Edgebrook Dr.

Edited by NenaE

Does anyone remember the Red Windmill Dinner Theater? I think it was in southwest Houston, possibly Town & Country Mall area. In the late 70s - early 80s I worked for Channel 39 and an actor named Gray (I don't  remember his first name. The only possible name that comes to mind is Roger.) worked part time as a newscaster in the early morning. He left to become the manager of the Red Windmill Theater. (or Theatre?)

Edited by UofH-1965
Add detail

I think it was just the Windmill Dinner Theater, I don't remember 'red' being part of the name, in T&C.  I went there just once.  Couldn't tell you what we saw (or ate).

There was a Roger Gray.  I never knew he worked for 39; I worked with him briefly at KLYX, the precursor to Majic 102.  I think he worked at several radio stations and was a talk show host at one time, as best I recall.   Last I heard of him I think he was up in East Texas, but that's been a couple of decades ago.

Edited by brucesw

On 4/15/2018 at 5:42 PM, brucesw said:

I think it was just the Windmill Dinner Theater, I don't remember 'red' being part of the name, in T&C.  I went there just once.  Couldn't tell you what we saw (or ate).

There was a Roger Gray.  I never knew he worked for 39; I worked with him briefly at KLYX, the precursor to Majic 102.  I think he worked at several radio stations and was a talk show host at one time, as best I recall.   Last I heard of him I think he was up in East Texas, but that's been a couple of decades ago.

Thanks for the confirmation of the name Roger Gray. As for the theater name, I don't know if my memory is better or yours. I just appreciate being able to reestablish the information and memories.

Between 1978 and 1985, our TV studio productions included numerous sessions with Bum Phillips (Bum Phillip's Coach's Show), Mickey Gilley (Gilley's Place), and Paul Bosh (I. W. Marks commercials and Houston Wrestling). PM Magazine hosts at KHTV39 included Bill Worrell and Giff Nielsen. I did not really know radio people then. I did a little radio DJ-ing at college in California.

On August 5, 2005 at 2:39 PM, MidtownCoog said:

Weinenschitzel?

They still have those in Flagstaff.

They are building one in New Caney!!

On August 5, 2005 at 2:39 PM, MidtownCoog said:

Weinenschitzel?

They still have those in Flagstaff.

They are building one in New Caney!!

This was in the semi-recent past, within last 10-20 years or so.  There was an Italian/Pizza place either on Westheimer or possibly Memorial, probably just outside of the Beltway (Energy Corridor).  I remember they had a collection of basketball player's shoes.  The big shoes, incredible sizes.  They had many dozens of these shoes displayed on the walls of the restaurant, along with pictures of the players.  The pizza was forgettable, but not the shoes.  Does any one remember the name of the place?  It might still be there, but I doubt it...

Posted (edited)

I'm copying this here from a post a saw on Facebook on Wienerschitznel restaurants that were open in Houston. When the chain was in Houston in the 1960's through the 1990's, their name was Der Wienerschitznel before the name changed to Wienerschitznel.

For some reason or another (I'm going to point to news reporters and journalists who aren't doing their job well, are lazy, or aren't from Houston so they only went by a press release sent to them from the franchisee bringing Wienerschitznel back to Houston), news stations and articles in Houston Chronicle, Community Impact, Houston Business Journal, and Houstonia magazine are reporting Wienerschitznel is new to Houston. That's not the case as many of us old-timers from Houston know.

Wienerschitznel has returned to Houston, opening one of many locations that will serve hot dogs in Houston. The first of these is in New Caney and that location opened Saturday.

This is a partial list of Wienerschitznel restaurants that were open in Houston.

Der Wienerschnitzel (Baytown) 1201 N Alexander
Der Wienerschnitzel (Galveston) 712 Seawall Blvd)
Der Wienerschnitzel (Houston) 1818 N Shepherd Dr 
Der Wienerschnitzel (Houston) 2014 Gessner Rd 
Der Wienerschnitzel (Houston) 9019 Jensen Dr 
Der Wienerschnitzel (Houston) 1303 Westheimer Rd
Der Wienerschnitzel (Houston) 7535 Bellfort Ave 
Der Wienerschnitzel (Houston) 2230 Wirt Rd
Der Wienerschnitzel (Houston) 5850 Hwy 6 N 
Der Wienerschnitzel (Pasadena) 901 E Southmore Ave
Der Wienerschnitzel (Pinehurst) 2420 Mac Arthur

Also there's this from an University of Houston yearbook in the 60's showing these locations

4510 Almeda (Houston)
3716 Farnham (Houston)
4914 Griggs Rd (Houston)
7801 Hillcroft (Houston) 
8117 Long Point Rd (Houston) 
7018 South Park Blvd (before it was renamed to Martin Luther King Jr Blvd) (Houston)

https://digital.lib.uh.edu/collection/yearb/item/18466/show/18435

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Der Wienerschnitzel (Houston) 1303 Westheimer Rd

That was the Doc's location and I thought that salad place was going there? This article is from December so maybe things have changed, i haven't been by in a while...

https://houston.eater.com/2018/12/19/18148653/sweetgreen-salads-bowls-montrose-houston

Edit: I misread Crockpot's post, and thought the list of "previous locations" were all new upcoming locations! Disregard the Doc's/Sweetgreen comment...

Edited by skwatra
misinformation
  • Like 1

Recently my husband and I revisited Houston after being gone for nearly 37 years. Yes ....so much has changed! We found ourselves looking for one particular restaurant but couldn't exactly  remember where it was. We believe "The Best Little Steak House in Texas" was on Wirt Rd. Anyone remember this place?

So, I'm youngish and there's some places I've been going to for my twenties that shut down recently and I'm sad about it and want to share here. One would be Happy Fatz on White Oak, they did a fancy hot dog and baked goods (cakes and cake balls and interesting pies), Italian sodas, fancy coffees and the like, and surprisingly good salads. I miss it. I also miss Pop & Pan the well reviewed and liked panini and popcorn place that shut down mysteriously a month or two ago.