Food Places We Grew Up On In Houston No Longer Here

BayouCityGirl

Lot's of great, and not so great memories being revived.

Toddle House (South Main Location) ~ Waffles, Burgers, and their Potato Pancakes

Pig Stand (Washington Ave.) ~ Pork Sandwiches

It's wasn't the "Huddle House" was it. Seems like I remember it as the "Huddle House". maybe Alzheimer's on my part.

Bingo! Windsor Plaza. Now I'm going to have to hunt for pics to prove hubby wrong. I remember the Chili's being on Fountainview and standing in long line to get a seat at lunch time. They had the best tacos - the meat had corn and they put guacamole on top.

I'm still curious about the empanada shop. I checked Marini's website and it made no mention about being in the Windsor Plaza area.

Barry's was a standalone white brick building with alot of white lattice. Chili's was across Fountainview from the Magnolia. Chili's was a wooden green building with white trim. That's were I got hooked on chips and salsa after moving here in '79 (oh, and Margarita's too).

Chili's was across Fountainview from the Magnolia. Chili's was a wooden green building with white trim. That's were I got hooked on chips and salsa after moving here in '79 (oh, and Margarita's too).

We used to go to that Chili's specifically for the milkshakes. :wub:

It's wasn't the "Huddle House" was it. Seems like I remember it as the "Huddle House". maybe Alzheimer's on my part.

No sir, Toddle Houses were all over South Texas. The one in Stafford was the last one i can remember visiting. There were other locations on South Main, Gessner (North of Bellfort), also visited them in Victoria, and Corpus.

Also had a brainlock yesterday trying to remember Yamins (good pizza, AWESOME Po Boy's). Locations were Hillcroft, Buffalo Speedway, and Westheimer (just inside the loop). I'd literally kill for a PoBoy served warm with melting cheese like that again! <jk>

What this town needs is a good Beer Garden serving up Po Boys and the like..... :wub:

No sir, Toddle Houses were all over South Texas. The one in Stafford was the last one i can remember visiting. There were other locations on South Main, Gessner (North of Bellfort), also visited them in Victoria, and Corpus.

Also had a brainlock yesterday trying to remember Yamins (good pizza, AWESOME Po Boy's). Locations were Hillcroft, Buffalo Speedway, and Westheimer (just inside the loop). I'd literally kill for a PoBoy served warm with melting cheese like that again! <jk>

What this town needs is a good Beer Garden serving up Po Boys and the like..... :wub:

Good Lord! I had not heard of Toddle House in years! They seemed to be everywhere. I heard they had a mean breakfast. Getting hungry just thinking about it. (Stomache grumble) :P

Thanks for jogging the old memory banks.

There was one on I-45 at Edgebrook. I miss those po-boys, too.

Edited by memebag

Lockwood Inn and Cozy Kitchen barbecue on Lockwood and 1-10 East Frwy. Only Cozy Kitchen remains but has changed names. (Close to McReynold's Jr High School and that very old cemetary).

Lockwood Inn was the place to go after dancing, etc according to relatives as far back as the early 1940's. They had some of the best links and barbq sauce in the world. Served simple on a paper tray if to go or on a plain white plate with plain sliced bread. The sliced beef was killer. You could smell the aroma for miles it seemed. It was very hard to keep driving past since the aroma would put (me) into a trance. The sandwiches were as little as $2.00 up until about mid 1980's, then a terrible fire took the whole place down. The place had been handed down from one generation to the next.

All that remains is the broken out plastic sign above on the pole. Lockwood Inn was a true icon of that area. This is real old Houston. Nothing has ever matched this great place since. :mellow:

"Lockwood Inn and Cozy Kitchen barbecue on Lockwood and 1-10 East Frwy"

The old BBQ Inn on Crosstimbers and Yale is still there ... and I remember Price's 19 cent hamburgers ... they had a hamburger stand on Bingle Road, I believe. And what was the name of that all you can eat Mexican food place on Longpoint? Also, I had several dates at the Copper Goblet on Hempstead Highway near I-610; it was my favorite restaurant in the 1970s. Wienerschnitzel on Longpoint is now Otilia's Mexican Restaurant.

Edited by Glitterik Eastend

I realize this is a 2 year old post, but I have to wax nostalgic about these two places.

These were the best empanadas I've ever had. The menu was huge. I think there were over 100 different kinds of empanadas. The original joint was tiny, with bull fighting posters on the walls and tables and chairs made from old barrels. I remember a few other locations later on, including one in Good Time Charlies at Sharpstown Mall. There was a location on Hillcroft that changed its name to Marines in the 90s when Marini opened up a new place on Westheimer. None of them are as good as the original, when grandma was making them in the back.

This place was incredible. They had a huge White Mountain ice cream freezer in the store, just like the one we had when I was a kid, except much larger. The ice cream they made tasted exactly like home made ice cream, because it was. There was a location on Guadalupe in Austin during the mid 80s.

It makes me sad to think of how great these places were.

Another place I miss was Phil's (where 59 Diner on Shepherd is now). I remember going there in the late 70s or early 80s and it wasn't a retro 50s restaurant, it was like someone had preserved a 50s restaurant, including the waitresses. Best chicken fried steak I ever had.

There was also a Phil's on Mandell just north of Richmond until the late fifties or very early sixties. I don't know if it co-existed with the Phil's that became the 59 Diner or if it relocated there, but my mother discovered the 59 Diner in the late 80's and began eating there often. One day when she was 80 she had her caregiver drive her there for lunch and discovered she had forgotten her money. Phil (the original Phil, from when 59 Diner was Phil's) was there, working as a host. He lent her the money to pay for her lunch. Of course, she remembered him from when he owned the Phile's on Mandell.

Also in the 50's, there was a little restaurant on Richmond at Mandell, just behind where Lucky Burger is, owned by an elderly couple named Golberg or some similar name. Mr. Goldberg was regularly mightily offended when my father would ask for Worcestershire sauce to put on his roast beef; he (the owner/chef) would say indignantly, as he dutifully brought the sauce, "How can you cover up the flavor of my delicious roast beef with that hot sauce?! And besides, it's bad for you! Worcester sauce draws the water out of your system!"

In the same little shopping center in the 1600 block of Richmond, there were also a variety store and a little drug store with a soda fountain where I remember getting 3 scoops of ice cream for 15 cents.

Does anybody remember the Whataburger or der Wienerschnitzel on Westheimer at the curve, west of Yoakum? It was one of the old A-Frame structures and it was orange.

I remember it. In the late sixties a red-haired high school classmate of mine named Ronnie worked there.

Does anybody remember the Whataburger or der Wienerschnitzel on Westheimer at the curve, west of Yoakum? It was one of the old A-Frame structures and it was orange.

There was a Der Weinerschnitzel on far end of Telephone Road near Bellfort intersection. Must have closed in early 80's? The only time I have seen that place still in operation was in SoCal or rather LA area. The design was so unique and modern was much steeper than any Whataburger pitched roof.

• 5 weeks later...
Del Taco is long gone from Texas, but alive and well in California. I saw several in San Diego last weekend.

Weren't Showbiz and Chuck E. Cheese two different companies that merged at some point? Neither was very good; the only real attraction there was the games.

Chuck E. Cheese sued Showbiz and they merged as a result. I remember Showbiz as a kid.

There was a Der Weinerschnitzel on far end of Telephone Road near Bellfort intersection. Must have closed in early 80's? The only time I have seen that place still in operation was in SoCal or rather LA area. The design was so unique and modern was much steeper than any Whataburger pitched roof.

I forgot about that place, went to the one in Pasadena.

Jenny's Hideaway on Alabama near the Menil parking lot. Probably the first and most successful conversion of that old house into a restaurant.

Harlow's Hollywood Cafe on Hillcroft. Late hours and chocolate cheesecake for dessert!

Great thread. Being new here I'm glad someone ressurected it or I might never have found it. Jenny's and Harlow's were two of my favorite places back in the 80s. I was very sorry to see Jenny's close. Harlow's had the best split pea soup on the planet!

Another place my friends and I used to frequent was Stax at Richmond and Montrose. Used to love to drop in there for an early breakfast after an all night gaming marathon (on an Apple IIe no less :D )

Another place my friends and I used to frequent was Stax at Richmond and Montrose. Used to love to drop in there for an early breakfast after an all night gaming marathon (on an Apple IIe no less :D )

We used to drop in there for a late dinner/early breakfast after the bars closed. :D

I dimly recall that it used to be a Steak 'n Egg Kitchen before it was Stacks.

steaknegg.jpg

In regard to Der Weinerschnitzel... the last one I saw in Houston was on HWY 6 near 290...They still have one in downtown Bryan with the old A frame set up...stop there any time I'm in the area. There is one also in Austin near Braker and MoPac. James Coney Island basically ran them out of the area; too much competition for the SoCal boys

Great thread. Being new here I'm glad someone ressurected it or I might never have found it. Jenny's and Harlow's were two of my favorite places back in the 80s. I was very sorry to see Jenny's close. Harlow's had the best split pea soup on the planet!

Wasn't Harlow's open all night? Just the place to go after an exciting evening at Cooters. ^_^

Luke's Hamburgers

Strawberry Patch

Harlow's... before Tillman got his hands on it

Dot's Cafe

The Brisket House downtown

Christi's on S. Post Oak

and

the consession stand at Gateway Pool!

I forgot about the great fried snapper at and shrimp and Kapan's

Bill Williams Steak House in old Sugar Land, fried chicken on Sunday, way before there were kids meals!

• 3 weeks later...
Three Alfred's locations:

Alfreds.jpg

My stepfather was food buyer for the Alfred's delis on Rice and Stella Link in the sixties. There were many nice people who worked there, and the store portion of the delis carried off the wall favorites like chocolate covered ants and Tiger's milk (don't ask).

The deli and bakery were always great, and the powdered sugar dusted brownies were solid chunks of chocolately goodness.

Inside Khan's high up on the walls are blown-up black and white graphic photos of the old deli, and when I mentioned to Alfred's son that my stepdad worked there, he said, "You mean Henry? He's right over there" and pointed to him in the photo.

Anyone remember the Town and Country Alfreds? It was modelled after a Swiss Chalet, complete with a painted-life sized diorama of Alfred wearing lederhosen on a Swiss hill.

Anyone have any photos of the stores?

My stepfather was food buyer for the Alfred's delis on Rice and Stella Link in the sixties. There were many nice people who worked there, and the store portion of the delis carried off the wall favorites like chocolate covered ants and Tiger's milk (don't ask).

The deli and bakery were always great, and the powdered sugar dusted brownies were solid chunks of chocolately goodness.

Inside Khan's high up on the walls are blown-up black and white graphic photos of the old deli, and when I mentioned to Alfred's son that my stepdad worked there, he said, "You mean Henry? He's right over there" and pointed to him in the photo.

Anyone remember the Town and Country Alfreds? It was modelled after a Swiss Chalet, complete with a painted-life sized diorama of Alfred wearing lederhosen on a Swiss hill.

Anyone have any photos of the stores?

Why yes, as a matter of fact. :)

alfreds771.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
The Tomball location is the only one I know of right now. I will let you know if I hear of any more, though.

The restaurant I remember was on the far south side of Meyerland Plaza, close to the stand alone theater. I remember it being called the Houston Oil Company. The food was good but I only ate there if I was dating a girl that lived in that part of town.

Edited by RED ZONE

There still is a Tookies in Seabrook. Their burger isn't really my taste but they are always packed and people who grew up in the area when they come to visit tell me the burger is just like they remember.

We used to get my dad cheesecake on is birthday at a bakery called How Sweet It Is.

Every Saturday my dad and I would go to get Big Toms at The Kolache Shop while my mom and teenage brother slept in.

When we first moved to Houston my brother liked this pizza restaurant that had a moose head on the wall. My mom thought the Pizza was good and we went there every friday night while we were getting settled in. The only think I remember about the place is being terrified of the moose.

And when we went to Galveston we always stopped at a po boy shop on 65th that closed not long after I moved back in 2000. Can't remember the name of the place but they were great po boys and they had a tomato based Gumbo. I got to eat there one last time before they closed... which was awesome... just like I remembered. But my favorite part about them was the owner. When my parents split up my dad and I went to Galveston every weekend that first summer and then didn't go back for about a year. We walked in a year after having been there and the guy looked up and said, "Hey you left your sunglasses in here last time you were here." He went into the back and brought out a pair of my dad's prescription sunglasses which he had in fact left there a year before.

On the way home from Galveston we'd stop at the Flying Dutchman in Kemah which is still there but undoubtedly owned by the Landry Corp as is probably Jimmy Walkers which was mentioned a couple of years ago in this thread. But there is one on the upper floor of Landry's. Take the stairs. It's more upscale than Landrys.

There still is a Tookies in Seabrook. Their burger isn't really my taste but they are always packed and people who grew up in the area when they come to visit tell me the burger is just like they remember.

We used to get my dad cheesecake on is birthday at a bakery called How Sweet It Is.

Every Saturday my dad and I would go to get Big Toms at The Kolache Shop while my mom and teenage brother slept in.

When we first moved to Houston my brother liked this pizza restaurant that had a moose head on the wall. My mom thought the Pizza was good and we went there every friday night while we were getting settled in. The only think I remember about the place is being terrified of the moose.

And when we went to Galveston we always stopped at a po boy shop on 65th that closed not long after I moved back in 2000. Can't remember the name of the place but they were great po boys and they had a tomato based Gumbo. I got to eat there one last time before they closed... which was awesome... just like I remembered. But my favorite part about them was the owner. When my parents split up my dad and I went to Galveston every weekend that first summer and then didn't go back for about a year. We walked in a year after having been there and the guy looked up and said, "Hey you left your sunglasses in here last time you were here." He went into the back and brought out a pair of my dad's prescription sunglasses which he had in fact left there a year before.

On the way home from Galveston we'd stop at the Flying Dutchman in Kemah which is still there but undoubtedly owned by the Landry Corp as is probably Jimmy Walkers which was mentioned a couple of years ago in this thread. But there is one on the upper floor of Landry's. Take the stairs. It's more upscale than Landrys.

I'd have to say Burger Chef...The Cellar Door...Shakey's Pizza...Monterrey House...Del Taco...Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor...to name a few.

Edited by Disastro

• 3 weeks later...

Some other restaurants I remember:

La Hacienda de Los Morales - Located at West Belt and Deerwood They had the best frozen margaritas I've ever tasted; very nice ambiance and good food, though I remember that this was an expensive place for me at that time.

The Mexicatessen - Downtown next to the original Treebeards. Cheap meals with fresh ingrediants. Ate there around 1980-1981. And then one day it was gone....

The Flying Tiger - near the corner of Gessner and Westheimer in the Woodlake Shopping Center. Around 1979-1981. Lots of great memories. Might have been the dates more than the food.

"Lockwood Inn and Cozy Kitchen barbecue on Lockwood and 1-10 East Frwy"

The old BBQ Inn on Crosstimbers and Yale is still there ... and I remember Price's 19 cent hamburgers ... they had a hamburger stand on Bingle Road, I believe. And what was the name of that all you can eat Mexican food place on Longpoint? Also, I had several dates at the Copper Goblet on Hempstead Highway near I-610; it was my favorite restaurant in the 1970s. Wienerschnitzel on Longpoint is now Otilia's Mexican Restaurant.

price's hamburgers were on wirt road just below long point...

the mexican restaurant was panchos mexican buffet...they opened in the mid-60's next to palais royal...the buffet was $1.49

monterrey house was on wirt road next to fed-mart...

western kitchen just around the corner from fed-mart had the BEST bbq...you could watch the meat being sliced for plates and sandwiches and they had the biggest baked potatoes... :rolleyes:

the mexican restaurant was panchos mexican buffet...they opened in the mid-60's next to palais royal...the buffet was $1.49

western kitchen just around the corner from fed-mart had the BEST bbq...you could watch the meat being sliced for plates and sandwiches and they had the biggest baked potatoes... :rolleyes:

If I remember correctly, there used to be a Panchos on Bellaire Blvd...that's the first one I remember...

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read all the posts, but here are some I'm wondering about. I haven't lived in Houston in 35 years and when I visit, I usually eat at my Dad's house, so I'm not up on the restaurant scene.

Christie's on S. Main, Med Center - we ate there every Friday night on the way over to my Grandparents' house. This would have been in the late 50s and early 60s. I would eat their incredible trout sandwich and chase it down with chocolate milk. Invariably, I would get sick and be in agony the rest of the evening. But it was SO good. I think this place burned down in the 70s. Not sure.

Christie's on Westheimer - just as good as the S. Main location but cheaper. This is where my 5 year old nephew walked over to another family's table and helped himself to their jello. We still laugh about it, 25 years later.

Youngbloods Fried Chicken on S. Main - very good chicken, nice restaurant. It probably closed in the 60s.

Valian's Italian - across the street from the Shamrock Hotel. Probably closed in the 60s. I've never experienced better Italian food.

Felix on Kirby - we were eating there when I was 5 years old. The hostess was Mrs. Harper, which happens to be my name. I ended up seeing her at the DFW airport sometime in the 80s. She remembered our family!

Bill Bennet's downtown: It was popular as a late night coffee shop. My high school buddies and I would go there after partying.

Phil's Diner (on Richmond?): great plate lunches in the early 70s.

Have I missed One's-A-Meal in this thread? They were dine-ins with counters and booths, specializing in breakfast and sandwich fare. They were mostly downtown and south to southwest of downtown in the 50's. Ones I remember were one next to the River Oaks theater, one in the Village, one at Richmond and Shepherd, and one near the old Delman theater. Any still around?

OMG...I forgot about One's-A-Meal. We ate at the one at River Oaks center when I was a kid. One time, during the 80s, I was visiting family in Houston and it was snowing and sleeting like crazy, and about 25 degrees. Since that happens maybe every 10-15 years in that part of the state, I was really excited about it. I walked into One's-A-Meal and everyone was bundled up and eating the spiciest food they could order. The windows were completely fogged over, and the outside world was white and cold. Like the lyrics from that song from Yentl, "there are moments that you will remember all your life, and this is one of those moments".

No its called "Top Notch Hamburgers"

Top Notch is on Burnet Rd. a couple of blocks from where I live. I've yet so see the movie!!

I haven't read all the posts, but here are some I'm wondering about. I haven't lived in Houston in 35 years and when I visit, I usually eat at my Dad's house, so I'm not up on the restaurant scene.

Christie's on S. Main, Med Center - we ate there every Friday night on the way over to my Grandparents' house. This would have been in the late 50s and early 60s. I would eat their incredible trout sandwich and chase it down with chocolate milk. Invariably, I would get sick and be in agony the rest of the evening. But it was SO good. I think this place burned down in the 70s. Not sure.

Christie's on Westheimer - just as good as the S. Main location but cheaper. This is where my 5 year old nephew walked over to another family's table and helped himself to their jello. We still laugh about it, 25 years later.

Youngbloods Fried Chicken on S. Main - very good chicken, nice restaurant. It probably closed in the 60s.

Valian's Italian - across the street from the Shamrock Hotel. Probably closed in the 60s. I've never experienced better Italian food.

Felix on Kirby - we were eating there when I was 5 years old. The hostess was Mrs. Harper, which happens to be my name. I ended up seeing her at the DFW airport sometime in the 80s. She remembered our family!

Bill Bennet's downtown: It was popular as a late night coffee shop. My high school buddies and I would go there after partying.

Phil's Diner (on Richmond?): great plate lunches in the early 70s.

The Christie's on Westheimer is still there, still serving trout sandwiches. All the others you mentioned are gone (and all discussed in this thread) except Phil's which is now 59 Diner and has several locations around town.

I'd have to say Burger Chef...The Cellar Door...Shakey's Pizza...Monterrey House...Del Taco...Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor...to name a few.

Monterrey House was basically "it" for "Mexican" food in the suburbs when I was a kid - unless you could go into an ethnic neighborhood and get real Mexican food. My biggest memory of Monterey House was the candy (compressed brown sugar) that they always hid under the chips. Does anyone else remember that? They would bring the tortilla chips out to the table and put as many candies under the chips as were people at the table. The candy was pure sugar and they had it tucked inside little wax paper bags. My mom always made me wait until the very end of the meal before I could dig those candies out of the bottom! :lol:

Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor was the best place in the world to me as a kid. They had the great waiters in the straw hats and the clanging bells. And as you left, they had an awesome old fashioned candy shop with huge jawbreakers. I never left there without the biggest sugar rush in the world.

Speaking of candy shops, does anyone remember the one right inside the entrance at Astroworld? It was an old fashioned candy shop. And right down the sidewalk was the Rainbo bread company where I would always beg for the "tiny" loaf of bread before we left the park.

Astroworld in the 70's and 80's --- sigh!

• Like 1

Shakey's was awesome, too. Those were the days we actually sat and ate at the pizza parlor.

The Christie's on Westheimer is still there, still serving trout sandwiches. All the others you mentioned are gone (and all discussed in this thread) except Phil's which is now 59 Diner and has several locations around town.

Amazing that Christie's is still there. Sorry about mentioning restaurants that had already been mentioned. Hope you all enjoyed my stories, though. It was fun telling them.

What about Sander's BBQ on Park Place? Best everything in the world - and they were a meat market, too!

I remember Perry's being a meat market also ---- that was years and years before they became a very expensive, fine dining restaurant all over town. I used to go to the Perry's Meat Market in Friendswood and buy the apartment pack of meat - great quality and good prices. Those days are long gone...

I remember Perry's being a meat market also ---- that was years and years before they became a very expensive, fine dining restaurant all over town. I used to go to the Perry's Meat Market in Friendswood and buy the apartment pack of meat - great quality and good prices. Those days are long gone...

They still have a meat market and grille on 518 close to 2351.

• 8 months later...
I remember eating breakfast at some restaurant called "Champ's" as a child. I liked the little train that would go around near the ceiling, and it would pass through some shelves filled with stuff. I think they closed down a few years back(I think there were multiple locations).

Oh, and yes, I also remember this place called JoJo's, which was pretty good(This was near the Fondren area, I think, where i used to live). I don't know if they are still open, though.

I remember that train, too.

There was a Champ's at West Bellfort & Fondren.

There was also a Champ's at Bingle & 290.

There was also a Champ's near the Southwest Freeway...Hillcroft or Chimney Rock.

I remember that train, too.

There was a Champ's at West Bellfort & Fondren.

There was also a Champ's at Bingle & 290.

There was also a Champ's near the Southwest Freeway...Hillcroft or Chimney Rock.

There was also a Champs at I-10 East & Federal, which is a Burger King now. Several blocks up on Federal there was also a Del Taco, which is now a pawn shop. That particular stretch of road is all run down and very dangerous now.

• 1 month later...

Anybody remember Raffles? It was on Loop 610, near Buffalo Bayou, in an office building. They had GREAT Bananas Foster!

Other notables that are long gone:

San Jacinto Inn

Old Hickory Stick on Telephone Road

Bat & Steve's Oggero's Italian Restaurant on Bellfort near Mykawa

Sonny Look's on South Main

The Driftwood Inn in San Leon

The Log Cabin Inn on 59 North, near Humble

Youngbloods Fried Chicken at Mykawa and Griggs

western kitchen just around the corner from fed-mart had the BEST bbq...you could watch the meat being sliced for plates and sandwiches and they had the biggest baked potatoes... rolleyes.gif

There was another Price's Hamburgers at the NW corner of South Park Blvd. (Now MLK) and Bellfort.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Sambos was my favorite restaurant to eat at when I was a kid.  We used to go to the one that was on the intersection of 610 and Wayside.  We would eat there then go to the toy store across the freeway.  Does anyone remember the name of that toy store? I keep thinking it was called Lion’s World or Lionel toy store?

• Like 1