Sign in to follow this  
s3mh

Braun to redevelop 4721 N. Main

On 12/19/2016 at 4:34 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Treadsack's Foreign Correspondents has closed.

"After opening three restaurants in rapid succession last fall, Foreign Correspondents is the first that Treadsack has ever closed, but the company is developing a plan for the space in the Heights shopping center that's also home to the Asian-inspired coffee and doughnut shop Morningstar and will soon be home to a Houston location of acclaimed Austin gelato shop Dolce Neve.

'We put a lot of love, work, and money into the building, and we’d hate to see it just go away,' Treadsack co-owner Chris Cusack said in a statement. 'We don’t have firm details on anything specific for the space right now, but we are discussing a number of options that we’re pretty excited about. For the time being we’ll be shut until we have more details.'"

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/12-19-16-ambitious-farm-to-table-thai-restaurant-shutters-with-chefs-departure/

From the looks of new leasing and marketing materials for a 2nd generation restaurant at 4721 North Main, Treadsack has received the boot. The group told CultureMap they were developing plans for the Foreign Correspondents (and Canard) space but this flyer seems to contradict those plans.

AkcU1FU.jpg

MGKyDjS.jpg

TvgNdgH.jpg

U9qrDm4.jpg

mJ1n4YB.jpg

Not surprising. If they could carry the lease for the whole space, Canard would (probably) still be open pending a new concept for the FC side of the space.

On 1/10/2017 at 11:47 AM, kbates2 said:

I'd read that, but I'd guess that Canard was probably at least breaking even on its own, considering it only really occupied ~1500-1800 s.f. of the space. Add in another $8-10k per month in lease cost for the FC part of the space, plus the fact that the parent company has zero cash reserves, and there's no way Canard could stay open.

That said, given how co-mingled the two spaces and operations were (they shared the same walk-in and prep area as well as bathrooms), it's not clear how well the parent company knew the true profitability of each concept. Additionally, it seemed like a lot of the customers in Canard were either coming from or heading to FC (or maybe a lot of the customers in FC were either coming from or heading to Canard).

Ultimately I think a concept like Canard could be successful on its own, but we may never get a chance to find out.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:47 AM, kbates2 said:

Only 13 comments in that article in over a week.  I can only imagine how many comments were deleted.  A friend who works in another restaurant group with businesses in the same area as Treadsack told me he thinks they will no longer be in business in a few months.  We shall see.

On 2/10/2017 at 2:51 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Hughies is expanding in The Heights. Houston Press is reporting the owners signed a lease for 4721 N Main, Suite A. Foreign Correspondents and Canard will finish moving items out within the next 15 days.

http://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/rejoice-a-heights-neighborhood-joint-to-fill-foreign-correspondents-space-9190957

Awesome!!

From Houston Business Journal:

Behind the deal: How a Vietnamese restaurant took over the old Foreign Correspondents space

It took maybe three weeks for a turnkey restaurant space in the Heights to find a new tenant. The coveted spot, at 4721 N. Main St., was recently leased to Hughie's Tavern & Vietnamese Grille, a Vietnamese concept with its only other location northwest of downtown Houston. The space previously housed the former Treadsack Restaurant Group concept Foreign Correspondents before it shuttered in late December. Treadsack is not involved with the Hughie's concept.

NewQuest represented Hughie's, and Zach Wolf of Braun Enterprises represented the landlord in the lease. The lease was described as "long-term," but terms were not disclosed, according to a release.

What was it like to put together this deal?
I’ve been having sleepless nights this whole month. I didn’t want to hurt our family’s money.

How’d you hear about the space?
It was all over social media, but I’d heard about some rumors before it went public. We’d been trying to look for a second location, but it had to be turnkey because we don’t have a ton of capital.

What’s the space like?
Perfect. It’s only a year old and everything’s up to date.

There was some competition for the space. How’d you get the lease?
The property’s owner, Braun Enterprise, believed in our concept and business plan.

How would you describe the restaurant?
It’s traditional Vietnamese and comfort American food restaurant. Our kale salad is one of our best sellers.

Foreign Correspondents struggled in part because there wasn’t an audience for high-end Thai food in that neighborhood. Why do you think your affordable Vietnamese concept will be successful there?
In the past 10 years, Vietnamese food has taken off. The flavor profile pairs well with craft beer. We don’t have chefs — we have aunts and uncles. They have great recipes that they’ve brought from Vietnam, and we picked the best.

Are you looking to expand further?
Yes, of course.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/02/15/behind-the-deal-how-a-vietnamese-restaurant-took.html

bsJ3v9H.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

From Houston Press about Hughie's and its next door bar One Armed Scissor Bar at 4721 N Main:

Hughie’s in the Heights, posted an update about its opening on Instagram. Owner Phillip Pham told the Press that they are shooting for July 5 and added that it depends on the TABC. The popular tavern and Vietnamese grill announced its move into the former Foreign Correspondence space at 4721 Main back in February. The original Hughie’s is located at 1802 West 18th Street.

This opening news will also affect the neighboring space, formerly home to Canard. Pham’s partner Michael Molina will be at the helm at One Armed Scissor Bar. Molina named the bar after a song by mid-'90s American punk rock band based out of El Paso.

Progress pictures of One Armed Scissor Bar from Instagram:

Euw4O7L.jpg

07z2OZh.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 2

Hughie's Tavern & Grille and One Armed Scissors Bar in the Heights at 4721 N Main are open.

From CultureMap:

Hughie’s Tavern & Vietnamese Grill began its soft opening this week. Located in the former Foreign Correspondents space on North Main, the restaurant builds on the success of Hughie's original location in Lazybrook/Timbergrove. 

The Heights outpost was renovated in less than six months; the new interior uses reclaimed wood to match the original location's appearance. 

“(People are) pretty impressed that we were able to achieve (a level of) warmth,” owner Philip Pham tells CultureMap. “This was a beat up old Dairy Queen. It is second gen, but only one year old . . . all the booths are custom made, so are the tables and chairs.”

On August 14, Pham celebrates the restaurant's grand opening by debuting companion bar, One Armed Scissor, named after the breakthrough single by famed El Paso band, At The Drive In.

The neighboring space formerly occupied by Canard bar will be transformed into One Armed Scissor, a more casual neighborhood hangout spot with affordable cocktails. 

Like the Lazybrook/Timbergrove locale, Hughie’s Heights serves a mix of Vietnamese favorites including spring rolls, banh mi, and shaking beef alongside Texas comfort classics such as chicken fried steak, burgers, and chicken tenders. On the beverage side, the restaurant’s 37 taps mean craft beer lovers should have no trouble finding the right brew to match their meal. 

Hughie’s Heights steps things up a bit by serving pho every day until it runs out, and Pham notes that the new restaurant’s larger kitchen will eventually allow it to offer some dishes that set it apart.

“For now, we’re going to let all the dust settle,” Pham says. “In three or four months, we’ll have the ability to integrate new dishes. That will separate the two Hughie’s.”

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/08-01-17-hughies-heights-open-vietnamese-food-craft-beer-philip-pham/

Hughie's is so good. Already been to this location twice and it was completely packed just the second day. It appears this place will be very successful... so hard to find parking though now along with the Austin-based ice cream place taking in a lot of customers too. I do worry about Morningstar though... hasn't been getting great reviews either.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Triton said:

Hughie's is so good. Already been to this location twice and it was completely packed just the second day. It appears this place will be very successful... so hard to find parking though now along with the Austin-based ice cream place taking in a lot of customers too. I do worry about Morningstar though... hasn't been getting great reviews either.

Uh Morningstar seems packed all the time...where have you seen bad reviews? 

Morningstar's great, I go often and see them getting plenty of business.

Edit: Looks like most of the 2 stars on Yelp are whining about the donuts. They're not my favorite, and they're a little expensive, but I'm not there for that, I'm there for the awesome coffee service. Pssst.... the excellent Shipley Donuts location is only a few blocks away.

Edited by kylejack

The donuts are great but probably over complicated... They all have ingredients you have never heard of and a lot of them taste the same even though they supposedly have different stuff in them. Trying to hard to make the donuts "adult". The breakfast is the most unique in the neighborhood and what keeps bringing us back. And I have always had to wait in a line, they are doing well from what I can tell.

I was kinda underwhelmed by the gelato shop. Probably because we just went to that one in River Oaks District which is on a whole other level.

Its gonna be hard to not go to Hughies every week. It was our favorite restaurant even when it wasn't that close.

Edited by bedmondson

51 minutes ago, kylejack said:

Edit: Looks like most of the 2 stars on Yelp are whining about the donuts. 

Yelp may be the worst thing to happen to the restaurant industry in recent history.  I have family in the PNW that run a very high profile restaurant (NY Times reviewed, tops local media "best" lists, etc.).  The cuisine is Asian/French fusion.  The Yelpers started a crusade calling out the Asian side of the cuisine on the grounds of lack of authenticity and cultural appropriation (chef is a white guy).  it got so bad that they are now working on transitioning out most of the Asian influence on the menu.  

The yelpers in Houston do not get it that the yeast donuts at Morningstar are supposed to be chewy or a bit more "al dente" than what drips out of the deep fryer at Shipleys.  Others just do not get the creative dishes like the black rice, money cat potatoes or crispy rice.  Morningstar has responded to the Yelpers with less ambitious fare like breakfast tacos and brisket filled kolaches.  The location does not lend itself to the same kind of traffic that Boomtown gets, but it is always full on the weekends and busy enough during the week.

58 minutes ago, s3mh said:

Yelp may be the worst thing to happen to the restaurant industry in recent history.  I have family in the PNW that run a very high profile restaurant (NY Times reviewed, tops local media "best" lists, etc.).  The cuisine is Asian/French fusion.  The Yelpers started a crusade calling out the Asian side of the cuisine on the grounds of lack of authenticity and cultural appropriation (chef is a white guy).  it got so bad that they are now working on transitioning out most of the Asian influence on the menu.  

The yelpers in Houston do not get it that the yeast donuts at Morningstar are supposed to be chewy or a bit more "al dente" than what drips out of the deep fryer at Shipleys.  Others just do not get the creative dishes like the black rice, money cat potatoes or crispy rice.  Morningstar has responded to the Yelpers with less ambitious fare like breakfast tacos and brisket filled kolaches.  The location does not lend itself to the same kind of traffic that Boomtown gets, but it is always full on the weekends and busy enough during the week.

Agreed.  Yelp is not only bad for the restaurant industry; the reviews and ratings are pretty much worthless.  My understanding is they don't even attempt to police to make sure the reviews are legitimate. 

Their donuts are kinda bad. I actually had to throw away my donut holes from Morningstar and drive on down to Shipley's. Their coffee is good though and I'm a sucker for their matcha drink. Seriously wish they would change their hours but that's just personal preference.

But back to what I was saying, Yelp reviews can make or break a place. I remember it being closer to 3 stars a while back but it looks like it has improved some. In this day and age, 2 star reviews can seriously hamper a business. That's why I somewhat worry about this place.

5 hours ago, s3mh said:

Yelp may be the worst thing to happen to the restaurant industry in recent history.  I have family in the PNW that run a very high profile restaurant (NY Times reviewed, tops local media "best" lists, etc.).  The cuisine is Asian/French fusion.  The Yelpers started a crusade calling out the Asian side of the cuisine on the grounds of lack of authenticity and cultural appropriation (chef is a white guy).

Didn't you get the memo? The painstaking enumeration of microaggressions has assumed primacy over such outdated, oppressive relics of the colonial era as "quality" and "aesthetics". 

21 hours ago, s3mh said:

Yelp may be the worst thing to happen to the restaurant industry in recent history.  

If you ever find yourself overly confident in the wisdom of crowds, check out Tripadvisor's ranking of the top restaurants in Houston.

The top 10 consists of 5 steakhouses (including 2 churrascarias), a grocery store, two Peli Peli locations, and Uchi.

Underbelly is #39

Xochi is #172

Coltivare is #309

MF Sushi is #443

5 hours ago, Angostura said:

If you ever find yourself overly confident in the wisdom of crowds, check out Tripadvisor's ranking of the top restaurants in Houston.

The top 10 consists of 5 steakhouses (including 2 churrascarias), a grocery store, two Peli Peli locations, and Uchi.

Underbelly is #39

Xochi is #172

Coltivare is #309

MF Sushi is #443

Perhaps not many people have been to those places?

Would agree that Chama Gaucha is probably among the top places here for food and service though. I have my birthdays there and always invite clients there as well.